Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 24th January 2014, 16:57   #136
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT launched

The working of this AMT would be different but the feel to the customer would be similar to tiptronic or maybe like the ones we see in WRC. LOL. Anyways, good to see the effort.

Last edited by GTO : 27th January 2014 at 22:38. Reason: Typo
Old 24th January 2014, 17:41   #137
BHPian

Default re: Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I still don't understand the logic of not providing the automatic option for the top variant. Typically, the person who would buy an automatic in India would be someone who prioritizes convenience and comfort over the cost savings with the MT. Wouldn't a good fraction of such people prefer the fully loaded variant if it is available?
I rejected Dzire and Ritz precisely for the same reason. I was looking for a good Automatic option with top most safety features. I even went to the extent of writing to Suzuki's India head requesting him if Suzuki can make-to-order Dzire with Airbags but received no response. One of the senior guy in Suzuki told me that it's Suzuki's strategy to offer automatic in mid-variant only as in India cost elasticity is very high and people will buy next segment manual variant instead of opting for top end automatic as price will be almost similar. I told him it is a stupid logic and someone who is looking for convenience will also have very high regards for safety. Thankfully Ford did not follow this logic and launched EcoSport Automatic with all safety features including 6 airbags. And that's why it's in my signature now Lets hope Suzuki offers Zxi option for this one but going from the past experience, it is highly unlikely.
TSIched'Out is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 17:47   #138
Team-BHP Support

The dedicated website for Maruti Suzuki’s upcoming hatchback is now functional. The website contains videos that reveal some of the features that the car has been equipped with:

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th January 2014 at 18:15.
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 18:04   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The dedicated website for Maruti Suzukiís upcoming hatchback is now functional. The website contains videos that reveal some of the features that the car has been equipped with.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Any news on when Team-BHP review will be out? I came to know from some sources that Media drive took place last week.
Thanks.
Old 24th January 2014, 18:17   #140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIched'Out View Post
Any news on when Team-BHP review will be out? I came to know from some sources that Media drive took place last week.
Thanks.
Before this blows up, I'll clarify that as far as i know, the drive you're referring to was only for print-based media. We haven't got our hands on the car... yet.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 18:21   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post

Can you point out any other DSG gearbox apart from the DQ200 that has caused issues!
I was referring to the mass market. Renault and ford both have reliable dual clutch tech and in India we only have ford's

I never said I hated dsg but it does have an infamous reputation. I myself have witnessed the transmission failing in a couple of friend's cars.

Yes technology is expensive I was merely aplauding the AMT for it being relatively less complicated and cheaper and thus the right transmission to bring automatic to the masses wouldn't you agree?

The feel of a good single clutch transmission is yet to be seen in dual clutch ones. No one is denying the fact that dual clutch is fast and that that is a good thing

Last edited by IshaanIan : 24th January 2014 at 18:34.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 19:38   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

The mechatronics module is similar to the AMT module but the scale of operation varies, ie the mechatronics controls two clutches and two transmissions whereas the AMT module does half the job.

Since this module is localised and built in India, I think a far deeper level of customisation is made compared to an imported unit. I just hope it is trouble free or the troubles will get sorted out after the first batch.

My family is quite sold on the car now since my Mom is also ready to drive given its an automatic. Only I am apprehensive about the transmission. The dealer is pushing to book it in advance and later cancel it if I dont need it since he will be ready to deliver the car in the first batch. For me it should be strictly less than 6.5L on road and given its a Vxi, it should have at least ABS. Lets see the turn of events this week
Old 24th January 2014, 20:04   #143
Senior - BHPian

Please don't tell me the AMT will be limited only to VXi trim
Would like to see a proper ZXi variant for 7 tops
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 21:08   #144
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Question re: Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The dedicated website for Maruti Suzukiís upcoming hatchback is now functional. The website contains videos that reveal some of the features that the car has been equipped with:
"K-Next" Engine ?

Wondering if it could be the K10BN engine used in the export Altos ( A-Star ).

This engine comes with VVT ( sigh ! )
Old 24th January 2014, 21:35   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Please don't tell me the AMT will be limited only to VXi trim
Would like to see a proper ZXi variant for 7 tops
Seven lakh is considered expensive for the K10b right when you can get a Ritz Zxi? Hence most probably there is no ZXi AMT(Quite sure about this) or the top end fully loaded version is not going to cost seven lakh at least here in bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
"K-Next" Engine ?

Wondering if it could be the K10BN engine used in the export Altos ( A-Star ).

This engine comes with VVT ( sigh ! )
Yeah and the mechanical throttle has been replaced by Drive by Wire. To enable revv matching between shifts? That will mean the shifts will be quite smooth.
Old 25th January 2014, 00:17   #146
BHPian

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...-370596,0.aspx

Autocar's review is up! There price prediction is little confusing, since AMT is considered economical compared to full automatic. Hope, Maruti price it well.
fz_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 00:45   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Yeah the prices quoted by Autocar are quite surprising. 5L ex showroom for automatic will get it to six and odd on the road. However the MAJOR bummer I got is not even electric mirrors on the VXi and ABS and Airbags are options on the ZXi

I am currently ditching plans but however the price is another good point for family to mount pressure to buy this one. I cant miss out on those creature comforts for a damn automatic car. But my parents are most likely to cut a deal since they are quite fed up of city traffic. Given that the dealer I know is likely to send a car for TD as soon as it arrives, I am not sure what will happen. I at least expected ABS on the Vxi. Another reason for my dad is the difference in money that has to be paid. Worst case after selling wagonR for 3-3.5l, we will have to shell another 3L max. Hence he is on the tip if his toe for this one. The GM of the dealership also added some masala. Now I am in a fix :/
Old 25th January 2014, 09:00   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Yeah the prices quoted by Autocar are quite surprising. 5L ex showroom for automatic will get it to six and odd on the road. However the MAJOR bummer I got is not even electric mirrors on the VXi and ABS and Airbags are options on the ZXi
Autocar review has mentioned the feature distribution across the variants and I've got to say I'm disappointed with VXi, especially when it would sit next to its best seller sibling Wagon R which gives a lot more features for its VXi.

LXi:
  • air-conditioning
  • power steering

VXi:
  • rear parcel shelf
  • power windows
  • central locking
  • internally adjustable rear view mirrors
  • 60-40 split seats

ZXi:
  • alloy wheels
  • body-coloured door handles
  • body-coloured ORVMs with turn indicators
  • front fog lamps
  • integrated audio player with USB, aux-in and Bluetooth
  • steering controls for the audio system
  • electrically adjustable outside rear view mirrors
  • tilt-adjustable steering
  • driverís side airbag
  • rear wash/wipe
  • rear defogger

ZXi optional package:
  • ABS
  • front passenger airbag

If one variant was left out for AMT spec, it should have been one of the LXi or VXi instead of the ZXi.
zenren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 09:02   #149
Senior - BHPian

And advert in today's TOI Ahmedabad edition.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT launched-1390620710323.jpg  

Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT launched-1390620722670.jpg  

h@r$h@l is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 09:34   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
LXi:
air-conditioning
power steering
May end up as an AC taxi (blue-silver cool cabs). No PW whatsover on the LXi? Somehow the pricing and features are not matched. And why optional ABS?

My best guess is mostly Lxi would be a price wise replacement for the Estilo and VXi/ZXi for A-Star VXi/ZXi. And then the same car with slight modifications (like Alto K10) for 1.2 engine?

EDIT: Just FYI, the Alto (A-Star) in Europe gets 4 airbags, ABS and ESC even for the base and 6 airbags on top variant.

Last edited by amolbh : 25th January 2014 at 09:41.
Closed Thread