Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 31st January 2014, 08:45   #211
BHPian

Default re: Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT launched

Maruti is advertising the EzDrive as the main USP of Celerio in almost all ads. Its unfortunate that AMT is not found in either ZXI or ZXI(O) variants along with the safety features.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 31st January 2014 at 08:48.
Old 31st January 2014, 08:50   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I hope the Auto variant has ABS by default. The A-star AT had ABS in the VXi variant. Not offering it on the Celerio will be many steps backwards.
AMT availabilty only in LXI and VXI trims indicate to disappoint you in your query.
Maruti seem not to offer this variant in the ZXI and ZXI (optional) due to the pricing front as it would cannibalize the sales of the next offering.
This would be offered (IMO) at a later date, if demand for the Celerio will be below MS's expectation.

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 31st January 2014 at 08:57.
Old 31st January 2014, 10:04   #213
Senior - BHPian

MSIL has taken the safety of folks buying entry level cars for granted. Making ABS "optional" but not available across all the trims and dropping out the Airbags altogether seems preposterous to me!

The Zxi & Zxi (o) trim should actually define the basic safety and create comforts a Maruti car across any segment will come with. How difficult can it be to standardize the list of equipment one could definitely expect at a minimum from any Maruti car on the Zxi trim if not across all 3 trims?

That is actually my long standing grouse and i'm going to start a thread on it.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 10:11   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
This would be offered (IMO) at a later date, if demand for the Celerio will be below MS's expectation.

Cheers!
Very unlikely to happen, remember even the Zdi version came in the second generation swift after 7 years. Going by the trend, they would like to keep those price in check.

Now that they don't have ABS nor airbags on the AT celerio, the pricing of the Vxi automatic should be on par or less than the outgoing astar automatic in vxi trim.
Old 31st January 2014, 10:16   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
MSIL has taken the safety of folks buying entry level cars for granted.
Most of the Indian manufacturers are taking safety for entry level cars for granted. How many cars in 3.5-5 Lac bracket have safety features? It is the Government of India who should make safety features mandatory for all cars. Moreover, majority of car buyers do not care about the safety features.
sourabhzen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 11:28   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
MSIL has taken the safety of folks buying entry level cars for granted. Making ABS "optional" but not available across all the trims and dropping out the Airbags altogether seems preposterous to me!

I feel its the other way round- customers showing zero interest. No safety feature comes free. How many customers actually buy the VXi Optional variant of Wagon R which gives ABS and airbags at a very reasonable cost? Same with Swift and Ritz when it had optional ABS at just 20k extra? These were clear questions that Maruti put to the Indian customer regarding what they wanted and the customer replied with the sales numbers. Majority opinion wins in a democracy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Most of the Indian manufacturers are taking safety for entry level cars for granted. How many cars in 3.5-5 Lac bracket have safety features? It is the Government of India who should make safety features mandatory for all cars. Moreover, majority of car buyers do not care about the safety features.
Well said. Knowing the Indian customer, he would ditch a brand that comes with ABS even in the base variant if the competition offers a car without ABS for 20k less because it is cheaper. Which manufacturer would want to compromise their sales numbers? Unless all manufacturers decide not to offer a variant without safety features, it won't work. Only way that would happen is when the Government makes a rule mandating safety equipment in cars.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 11:48   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
with @sourabhzen

Take the example of my brother, who booked a Hyundai i20 few days back. He bought the Magna variant, which does not has ABS & Airbags, but for the same money he could have bought a marginally smaller car from other manufacturer with ABS at least.

Basically, many new car customers buy a bigger car for the same money, rather then putting money on a smaller car with safety features. This is the reason why Hyundai have withdrawn 6-airbags variants of the Verna & i20, & even Honda does not offer passenger airbags on E & S variants of City, & no Airbags + ABS on Amaze petrol (VX, V & SV variants).
Old 31st January 2014, 17:45   #218
BHPian

Maruti seems to have raised the bar for entry level hatchbacks with intro of the AMT given the ARAI mileage figures and convenience in city driving conditions. I have however not understood the following:-
1.The bookings were opened much before the cars were made available for test drives. Given the fact that an “auto” gearbox would be a novel experience for most of the intended customers, would it be realistic to expect adequate orders to materialize for the AMT option without hands on experience/test drives?
2.Would the AMT option have considerably higher overall ownership cost ?
Old 31st January 2014, 19:53   #219
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post

Well said. Knowing the Indian customer, he would ditch a brand that comes with ABS even in the base variant if the competition offers a car without ABS for 20k less because it is cheaper. Which manufacturer would want to compromise their sales numbers? Unless all manufacturers decide not to offer a variant without safety features, it won't work. Only way that would happen is when the Government makes a rule mandating safety equipment in cars.

I have a different view, my observations are:
1. For normal vxi if there is some 30K+ discount going on, dealer will not offer any discount for ABS+Airbags version. With 30K discounts gone from equation, difference bet'n normal vxi and one with ABS+Airbags will be more than 50K in OTR price, which is quite significant for this segment

2. Dealer will quote long waiting time for versions with ABS+Airbags ( specifically where in ABS/Airbags are optional - typically with vxi, zxi is different story )

With these reasons quoted above, Maruti and/or dealers are (may be unintentationally) discouraging potential customers from buying cars with better safety options.

Another example, my friend wanted to buy Ertiga vxi with ABS(there is only 10K difference in the price between vxi and vxi with ABS) and I had strongly convinced him with benifits of ABS etc. However dealer quoted huge waiting time and hence he went with Ertiga VXI without ABS!

Regards,
JLS
JLS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 20:54   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Celerio EZ Drive automatic review, test drive - ACI

Quote:
Our first drive of Maruti's Celerio; both manual and EZ Drive automatic versions impressed us by ticking all the right boxe
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...-370596,0.aspx
Old 2nd February 2014, 11:46   #221
BHPian

Nice video review of Celerio by Motorbeam. Like mentioned in the video, I am not a big fan of this design as Maruti has simply pulled out design cues from other cars like Alto800 and put them together. The interiors also look very basic and are of low quality.

I actually feel that Tata Nano Twist would be a better buy than Celerio. It looks better, rides better and is fun to drive in city.

Attached Thumbnails
Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT launched-nano-celerio.jpg  

damager21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 13:46   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post

I actually feel that Tata Nano Twist would be a better buy than Celerio. It looks better, rides better and is fun to drive in city.

]
Now thats what I call is a comparison.

Anyways leaving that matter apart, I am starting to move away from any plans of buying this one. The VXi doesnt even have basic stuff like remote keyless entry or an audio system. The majority of the kit is present in the Zxi and the rest in the optional pack. Dont like the idea of getting things fitted outside or even MGA itself. Lets see if this tech is offered in some other car and then I will get back the lost interest. Will be getting a test drive soon so will update my experience.
Old 2nd February 2014, 14:52   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Lets see if this tech is offered in some other car and then I will get back the lost interest. Will be getting a test drive soon so will update my experience.
It is rumoured that the Tata Falcon CS would come with AMT.
Old 2nd February 2014, 16:34   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
It is rumoured that the Tata Falcon CS would come with AMT.
A TATA is one of the last brand that I would be interested to invest in, and an AMT version will be an impossible investment from my side Since it would turn into an off topic discussion, I wont continue reasoning why I wont buy an AMT from TML.

I would prefer AMTs in the Punto, swift, Ertiga, etc basically cars which are lacking a good autobox. Vw and skoda and ford have their fantastic DSGs and at least this SSG would have some stand against them. They just have to improvise the shift times and it will be a good competition.

Coming in specific to the celerio, there is going to be a simultaneous launch this saturday both at the Expo as well as dealers. Got an invite for the same at a dealer nearby. Lets see what the final picture is.
Old 2nd February 2014, 22:23   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
2. Dealer will quote long waiting time for versions with ABS+Airbags ( specifically where in ABS/Airbags are optional - typically with vxi, zxi is different story )

With these reasons quoted above, Maruti and/or dealers are (may be unintentationally) discouraging potential customers from buying cars with better safety options.
The above is very true. On two different occasions when we purchased the WagonR (each purchase was made 4-5 years apart) we wanted the version of the Vxi with ABS and were informed of a huge wait time, how current price/discount/offer etc. will not be available if we wait for delivery of the ABS version.
IndianGuardian is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread