Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 2nd February 2014, 23:16   #226
BHPian

Default re: Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT launched

This car supposedly replaces both the Estilo and the A Star. From the pictures, videos & reports all over the net, this car looks like a miserable amalgamation of all things bad in both these cars. Looks are always subjective, but I see no points of interest anywhere except the front. The side profile & the rear seems to have been totally lost.

ABS & airbags are nice to have, since in India, people definitely are going to put this car on the highways as well. The AMT version is said to be competing against the Grand i10 Auto. Since the A/T version of the Grand i10 does not carry ABS & Airbag options, IMHO, we may better not view Maruti alone in such a poor light. Also disappointing is the unavailability of many essential convenience features like driver seat height adjust or power OVRMs in the AT variants.

I do not think this car would stand up to scratch against the Grand i10. The Maruti cars already lack in depth of engineering or finesse when compared to Hyundai, and this car, especially in some of those silly shades, seems to be as pathetic as some of the late 90's East European vehicles.

Last edited by Yeldo : 2nd February 2014 at 23:19.
Old 2nd February 2014, 23:40   #227
BHPian

Default re: Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT launched

Quote:
ABS & airbags are nice to have, since in India, people definitely are going to put this car on the highways as well. The AMT version is said to be competing against the Grand i10 Auto. Since the A/T version of the Grand i10 does not carry ABS & Airbag options, IMHO, we may better not view Maruti alone in such a poor light. Also disappointing is the unavailability of many essential convenience features like driver seat height adjust or power OVRMs in the AT variants.

I do not think this car would stand up to scratch against the Grand i10. The Maruti cars already lack in depth of engineering or finesse when compared to Hyundai, and this car, especially in some of those silly shades, seems to be as pathetic as some of the late 90's East European vehicles.
Based on the information till date, I do not think that this car is there to compete with the Hyundai grand i10. The car is in 1 ltr engine and the grand has 1.2. Both the cars have difference in power. I feel they are different segments. I am hopeful that this car will be priced lower than the Grand i10. As far as features are concerned then I believe everything comes at a price. Lower the price therefore lower the features.

I don't agree with the use of the word pathetic here as the car is yet to be launched and no one is sure about the outcome. It may not compete with any other existing car but we must appreciate the fact that it is a wonderful package and if price correctly can turn out to be a revenue generating car for Maruti. Again no shades are silly shades, people have their own respective choices. We all like different colors but judging it only on the basis of shades and colours is a not a good and mature judgement. Maruti Suzuki is known to have produced the finest engines for the Indian market.

I do not agree with your usage of words like Pathetic and silly as they are purely based on speculations and assumptions and not on fact and I am of the opinion that the use of such harsh words could have been avoided at this juncture as the car is yet to be launched.
mints21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 00:56   #228
BHPian

I would want to take a contrarian view here. The Indian customer is typically pampered for choice and wishes to have as many features as is possible in as less a price. And hence, the rants for features like ORVMs, height adjust, tilt and telescope steering arrangements. The list is endless! And may I also stick my neck out by saying that most of the acerbic comments probably come from people in Tier 1 cities who do have the advantage of walking to another showroom.

Take this, people in my native place used to go to a city 250 kms away to buy a Maruti until they established a dealership here. I had been reading somewhere recently that Maruti's focus has recently been on rural expansion. A car that (i) comes from Maruti stable (ii) offers automatic transmission will definitely make a dent in people's purchase behaviour. The price hasn't yet been revealed and it is too naive to comment if or not the car would bomb competitors like i10, etc.

For the people who ask for all features: more powerful engines, electric adjustable ORVMs, height adjusts, auto AC, security features like ABS, air bags and other bells/whistles, you do have a hatchback in the form of Swift. I may agree it is about time the Swift and its other sibling got an auto transmission. If you ask for it at the (speculated) price of Celerio, perhaps you are asking too much unless the competitor does offer the same!
akshay87kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 01:00   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
Based on the information till date, I do not think that this car is there to compete with the Hyundai grand i10. The car is in 1 ltr engine and the grand has 1.2. Both the cars have difference in power. I feel they are different segments. I am hopeful that this car will be priced lower than the Grand i10. As far as features are concerned then I believe everything comes at a price. Lower the price therefore lower the features. I don't agree with the use of the word pathetic here as the car is yet to be launched and no one is sure about the outcome. It may not compete with any other existing car but we must appreciate the fact that it is a wonderful package and if price correctly can turn out to be a revenue generating car for Maruti. Again no shades are silly shades, people have their own respective choices. We all like different colors but judging it only on the basis of shades and colours is a not a good and mature judgement. Maruti Suzuki is known to have produced the finest engines for the Indian market. I do not agree with your usage of words like Pathetic and silly as they are purely based on speculations and assumptions and not on fact and I am of the opinion that the use of such harsh words could have been avoided at this juncture as the car is yet to be launched.
Infact, A star and Estilo came a notch below the old i10 in terms of pricing, specially with all the discounts- I find it difficult to understand why Motorbeam thinks their successor will challenge the Grand i10 in terms of price!

Also- Dont they have Ritz currently in that space against the Grand i10? This new car is supposed to be slotted below Ritz. I think Celerio will compete with the old i10. Features list, build everything seems indicative of cut throat price product positioning.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 10:54   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post

I don't agree with the use of the word pathetic here

wonderful package

price correctly

turn out to be a revenue generating car

no shades are silly shades, people have their own respective choices.

I do not agree with your usage of words like Pathetic and silly as they are purely based on speculations and assumptions and not on fact and I am of the opinion that the use of such harsh words could have been avoided at this juncture as the car is yet to be launched.
Thank you, but speculations and assumptions not based on facts seem to be the only things you also seem to have ("wonderful package"/ "price correctly" / "turn out to be a revenue generating car") , Sir.

To think of it, this entire thread is 75% assumptions & speculations, isn't it?

And yes, like you said, "the use of such harsh words could have been avoided at this juncture". Okay.
Yeldo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 11:01   #231
Senior - BHPian

Maruti (or Suzuki) has only once (with Swift) given importance to exterior appearance in the hatchback segment. Else they continue to have no focus on how a car looks and feels.
Old 3rd February 2014, 20:56   #232
BHPian

Expected price for top end AMT variant (Vxi) is around 5.6 lac on-road. No test drive available as of yet (although 4 demo cars just arrived), until the official launch. Celerio doesn't look as bad as it looks in the pictures. In fact, the wide stance makes it look one size bigger. Its a no offence styling. Sadly though, it looks like a glorified Alto 800 from the back. The interior space is similar to the i10.

Last edited by fz_rider : 3rd February 2014 at 20:58.
Old 4th February 2014, 12:42   #233
Senior - BHPian

Official brochure of the Celerio is now available, which confirms that the car gets much required Airbags in top end trim . Refer below pics for the same:

Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT launched-1maruticelerioofficialbrochure2125x125.jpg

Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT launched-2maruticelerioofficialbrochure3125x125.jpg

Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT launched-3maruticelerioofficialbrochure4125x125.jpg

Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT launched-maruticelerioofficialbrochure.jpg

(Courtesy Autoportal)

Last edited by CARDEEP : 4th February 2014 at 12:48.
CARDEEP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 15:35   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti to launch the CELERIO on 6th with introductory price.

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 15:51   #235
Senior - BHPian

This is the BEST combination EVER for a city ride. 5 speed Transmission which is automatic but at the same time manual and gives a mileage of 23 kmpl ( ARAI) and is a Maruti and is cheap. This car will be a RECORD seller

Secondly an ATM in the Swift and Swift Dzire diesels in a few months and Tata's first movers advantage in case of the ZEST with the 90 bhp diesel ATM version is over.

I feel Tata should use this time to garner its popularity back with such high quality control checks and service station improvements that Maruti faces a daunting task with its DZIRE and Swift ATM's.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 16:06   #236
Senior - BHPian

Its good that all cars now a days have good interiors except maybe Honda on their lower end cars. Its a welcome change since it makes the people inside feel good.
Old 6th February 2014, 14:47   #237
Senior - BHPian

The celerio is now launched @ Rs.3.9 Lacs for Manual & Rs.4.29 Lacs for the AMT Version.

Prices for Maruti Celerio (courtesy ACI)
Manual
LXi – Rs 3.90 lakh
VXi – Rs 4.20 lakh
ZXi – Rs 4.50 lakh
ZXi (O) – Rs 4.96 lakh

Automatic
LXi – Rs 4.29 lakh
VXi – Rs 4.59 lakh
(all prices, ex-showroom, Delhi)
Old 6th February 2014, 15:29   #238
BHPian

The price difference between my Dzire AT and Dzire VXi was Rs. 1,21,179 ex-showroom Pune. All I got extra to the VXi model was ABS, EBD and fog lamps in the front (I hope I have missed anything). All these would probably come to not more than Rs. 35,000. That is a difference of Rs. 85,000 for a torque converter automatic.

AMT is around 40,000 more. My two cents: The mileage is not affected with AMT and the taxes on top of ex-showroom price when you have a Rs. 85,000 difference is also a significant saving. Not to forget, the AMT is probably easier to repair compared to a torque convertor, which might need a complete replacement of the whole unit.

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
The celerio is now launched @ Rs.3.9 Lacs for Manual & Rs.4.29 Lacs for the AMT Version.

Manual
LXi Rs 3.90 lakh
VXi Rs 4.20 lakh
ZXi Rs 4.50 lakh
ZXi (O) Rs 4.96 lakh

Automatic
LXi Rs 4.29 lakh
VXi Rs 4.59 lakh
Old 6th February 2014, 15:32   #239
BHPian

The price difference between my Dzire AT and Dzire VXi was Rs. 1,21,179 ex-showroom Pune. All I got extra to the VXi model was ABS, EBD and fog lamps in the front (I hope I have not missed anything). All these would probably come to not more than Rs. 35,000. That is a difference of Rs. 85,000 for a torque converter automatic.

AMT is around 40,000 more. My two cents: The mileage is not affected with AMT and the taxes on top of ex-showroom price when you have a Rs. 85,000 difference is also a significant saving. Not to forget, the AMT is probably easier to repair compared to a torque convertor, which might need a complete replacement of the whole unit.

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post

Manual
LXi Rs 3.90 lakh
VXi Rs 4.20 lakh
ZXi Rs 4.50 lakh
ZXi (O) Rs 4.96 lakh

Automatic
LXi Rs 4.29 lakh
VXi Rs 4.59 lakh
Old 6th February 2014, 16:04   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Killer pricing, but disappointing feature kit. Most of the bells and whistles are lost in the lower versions which makes it a tough call to buy. Waiting for a TD car to arrive.
Closed Thread