Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 23rd February 2014, 23:01   #391

Default Re: Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT laun

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerfan View Post
Please let us know what ICE and alloys you get. I asked the dealership guy about the max size of the sub that can be fitted and he said it has to be a small subwoofer and a 12" won't fit. Would like to hear your opinion.
Whew! Its been a busy busy Saturday. I got the following installed:

1. A basic Pioneer head unit with CD and USB. Dad doesn't have much use of a USB. However, couldn't find any unit without a USB port

2. Rockford Fosgate full range speakers. Dad has tons of Carnatic classical CD's and clarity was of utmost importance. I found these speakers to be an ideal mix of clarity and clean bass. Thumping bass was not a requirement due to the musical preference and need for a lot of dampening

3. Autocop Guardian security system

4. Hella windtone horns. Default was a reminder of bajaj Chetak!

5. Suzuki swift alloys. Was lucky to find a friend sell his 1week old swift's alloy. He was upgrading to an Ava. Swift's 14" alloy is a perfect fit for our AMT VXi. Icing on the cake: Spent less than 10K for these week old scratch-less rims

6. 3M paint sealant

7. Celerio kit from Maruti. Comes with seat covers, mud flaps, foot mats, fog lamps, faux wood inserts and bling bling chrome body inserts. All I wanted was seat cover and fog. lamps. Definitely not a fan of the bling chrome inserts but didn't have much choice. Will be removed in a months time

At the end of the day, I sincerely wished Maruti had released a ZXi AMT. We keep our cars 3yrs to the dot. Spending 51K on aftermarket accessories without a resale return is a bummer.
mug:mush is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 23:03   #392
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT laun

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
to
5. The ZXi even though not available with AGS option seems to be having the mounting points for this unit on its gearbox. Retrofit may be possible? That said the auto shift unit seems really compact sitting atop the gearbox with its hydraulics reservoir integrated into it.
That is because the gearbox is same for both manual and AMT versions. Hence it will have the mounting points. But retrofitting will be difficult since the electronics will also have to be changed. Not sure what was the big deal behind not providing AMT with ZXi. Afterall, it won't cost a bomb to make and sell the variant since it requires lesser tweaks than introducing a torque convertor based automatic variant.
Old 24th February 2014, 11:07   #393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mug:mush View Post
Whew! Its been a busy busy Saturday. I got the following installed:...

2. Rockford Fosgate full range speakers. Dad has tons of Carnatic classical CD's and clarity was of utmost importance. I found these speakers to be an ideal mix of clarity and clean bass. Thumping bass was not a requirement due to the musical preference and need for a lot of dampening
What brand in RF and what price? Damping is NOT really because of the musical preference, rather the poor build quality of Maruti. Every maruti car needs some solid damping for clean music.

Quote:
4. Hella windtone horns. Default was a reminder of bajaj Chetak! ..
Hella Twintone or Roots Windtone?

Quote:

5. Suzuki swift alloys. Was lucky to find a friend sell his 1week old swift's alloy. He was upgrading to an Ava. Swift's 14" alloy is a perfect fit for our AMT VXi. Icing on the cake: Spent less than 10K for these week old scratch-less rims

6. 3M paint sealant

7. Celerio kit from Maruti. Comes with seat covers, mud flaps, foot mats, fog lamps, faux wood inserts and bling bling chrome body inserts. All I wanted was seat cover and fog. lamps. Definitely not a fan of the bling chrome inserts but didn't have much choice. Will be removed in a months time
Awesome! Now, where are the pics?
Old 24th February 2014, 12:31   #394

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
What brand in RF and what price? Damping is NOT really because of the musical preference, rather the poor build quality of Maruti. Every maruti car needs some solid damping for clean music.
These were the entry level Prime series. Paid 6.5K for a set of 4. I agree with you on the need for damping on a Maruti. But, as I had written earlier, Dad's hearing is not the finest, therefore I let this pass.

With my old Figo, I had done damping using Armaflex and bitumen sheets, on the floor, doors and roof. Trust me, it was a long, sweat inducing messy affair which I don't want to repeat. Glad that my Rapid is built much better than the Figo

Quote:
Hella Twintone or Roots Windtone?
Oops, it was Hella Twintone

Quote:
Awesome! Now, where are the pics?
Will follow in a day or two.

Last edited by mug:mush : 24th February 2014 at 13:00. Reason: Did not know how to quote. Thanks swiftnfurious!
mug:mush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 14:20   #395

Is there any way by which we can verify which variant of the car has been dispatched by Maruti to the dealer?

I had actually booked an Lxi Auto variant, however the dealer informed me that Maruti has now shipped all cars which are vxi auto variant and lxi auto variant is going to take some time (read as 3-6 months) before which they will reach the dealer.

How can i know if this information is true? I directly called the Maruti helpline and they were not able to provide me the information related to dispatch of vehicles to dealers.
Old 24th February 2014, 14:59   #396
BHPian

Test drove the Celerio over the weekend. Here are my first reactions.

This car is mid-way car between Alto 800 and Wagon R with respect to size.

The AMT behaved very wierd in the Celerio (pardon me, I dont have sufficient experience with Automatics, have experience of driving the Corolla AT only). Just did not like the way it drove.

Apart from the AMT, the interiors on the VXi were a joke
- Manual OVRMs
- No Music System
- No Steering adjustment
- No Abs
- No Airbags

It basically is an Alto 800 with all 4 power windows and a slightly larger engine!!! The car felt like typical low-cost Maruti with materials reminding of my Zen with respect to door panels. The gear shift housing (component which holds the gear) seemed to be moving with the gear and was not reassuring.

With OTR price of 5.30 lakhs, I think the vehicle is very very overpriced for what it offers. I seriously hope that Tata launches AMT in its range of cars so that it creates some competition in the market and prices get rationalized.
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 16:37   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
The gear shift housing (component which holds the gear) seemed to be moving with the gear and was not reassuring.
Are you referring to the inner gate slot (which is inside the outer gate cover)? That moves by design as they need to archive the lever movement in both X and Y axis.

Last edited by noopster : 26th February 2014 at 15:38. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Old 24th February 2014, 23:43   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
With OTR price of 5.30 lakhs, I think the vehicle is very very overpriced for what it offers. I seriously hope that Tata launches AMT in its range of cars so that it creates some competition in the market and prices get rationalized.
Seriously. The OTR quote I got in Udupi for Zxi(O) is 6lacs!! (5,99,586 to be exact) including zero dep insurance,3rd & 4th extended warranty. In 2010, I got my diesel Figo titanium for 6.4 lac OTR. 6 lacs for what is basically an alto K 10 with a few jingles is terribly overpriced. Figo petrol titanium comes to 6.4 OTR, Bangalore ( cardekho) would be a far better choice. Even better would be the Ritz(vxi with ABS is 6.03l & Zxi 6.53at the same dealer). Even the Alto K10 would be a better VFM, looks better too.

Last edited by Deep Blue : 24th February 2014 at 23:47.
Old 25th February 2014, 09:24   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Seriously. The OTR quote I got in Udupi for Zxi(O) is 6lacs!! (5,99,586 to be exact) including zero dep insurance,3rd & 4th extended warranty. In 2010, I got my diesel Figo titanium for 6.4 lac OTR. 6 lacs for what is basically an alto K 10 with a few jingles is terribly overpriced. Figo petrol titanium comes to 6.4 OTR, Bangalore ( cardekho) would be a far better choice. Even better would be the Ritz(vxi with ABS is 6.03l & Zxi 6.53at the same dealer). Even the Alto K10 would be a better VFM, looks better too.
Practicality wise Ritz Zxi would be much better. You'll also get discounts on it which might not be the case for Celerio.
Old 25th February 2014, 19:29   #400
BHPian

I know, a lot has been said and discussed about Celerio, but for me, it's a winner. Maruti Suzuki has used EZ a lot for marketing the car, and it really is a pretty 'easy' car to drive. Anybody can graduate from manual to AMT, just a couple of days, and one can easily settle down with the transmission. There is really nothing to talk about Celerio, except the AMT. Its already been said, but let me repeat, it isn't a particularly smooth gear shift, you can make it that the gear is changing, but there is nothing jerky about. Upshifts on light throttle are super quick. Keep it around 2K rpm, it will reach 5th gear at 50 kmph, and you won't even notice. Give it some more gas, it quickly downshifts.
Earlier I was a little apprehensive about the AMT, but its ease of use has won my heart. I almost forgot to mention the silent K10B, for most of the part one won't even notice that its a three pot engine. The only noise in the cabin was that of those JK Tyres.
One more point to add, ladies and elderly would love Celerio for its ease of use. Makes life a tad bit easy.

Last edited by fz_rider : 25th February 2014 at 19:30.
fz_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 02:54   #401
BHPian

Went to maruti showroom today to see the car inside -out. I was never interested in this car either looks wise or spec-wise. I just wanted to know how it compares to my WagonR. To be frank,I did'nt find it impressive at all.

The sales-rep was comparing it with grand i10, but the fit & finish and build quality are nowhere near grand i10. The interiors are of typical maruti-standard, and you will find more-space inside than what you expect from the exterior size. But spacewise, I felt WagonR is still better especially in legroom and headroom. Rearseat legroom is better than A-star.that's the only thing I found better.

In my opinion, the car is highly over-priced. AMT variant can be excused since it has the auto-box, (or semi-auto or whatever they call it) but manual is definitely over-priced. Guess what? I was shocked to see the feature-list of the VXi manual which was on display. No Stereo, no remote-locking, no fog lamps, no-body colored mirrors and door-handles,no adjustable-headrests on any seats, no electrically adjustable ORVMS etc..etc. Just A/C, power-steering. that's it!! What all I expect in a VXi variant from this class ( thanks to WagonR VXi) were simply not present in Celerio Manual VXi.

I felt that at 4.22 L ex-showroom, this car is highly overpriced.and that too without any discounts. If someone is looking for just the AMT, then may be this car is ok, but In comparison WagonR VXi is 100% value for money than a Manual Celerio Vxi. All those missing features mentioned above are present in WagonR VXi, and there is always a big cash discount too on WagonR , almost year-round. I think now the discount is close to 30k. And I heard that this is just the introductory price of Celerio! So what would be the actual price after some 3 months? Can't even imagine!!

I don't know why they have priced this so high with so less features.I think one reason may be to make the AMT variant a lot more attractive than manual variant and thereby heavily promote the AMT version over the manual on this particular model.
Old 26th February 2014, 09:33   #402
Distinguished - BHPian

Celerio continues to rake in the numbers, AMT does the trick .

Quote:
Within two weeks of launch, Maruti Suzuki has garnered over 16,000 bookings for the Celerio of which the AMT variant has a share of 8400 units which is more than 50 percent
http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/maruti...r-celerio-amt/
Old 26th February 2014, 11:53   #403
BHPian

Guys,

Any idea on what are the current waiting period for the AMT version? Wanted to know for Mumbai specifically.

Also when is the TBHP review of the car coming? Eagerly waiting for that.
Saanil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 18:15   #404
Distinguished - BHPian

The Celerio currently will roll out from Maruti’s Manesar plant with an initial production capacity believed to be about 60,000 units annually. It is expected to reach peak volumes of 1,00,000 units in 2015.

End 2016 /2017 , Celerio first to roll out from Maruti's Gujarat plant,followed by models that have been codenamed YRA (B+ compact hatch) and YAD ( XA Alpha).Production capacity of 2,25,000 units per annum is being envisaged for the plant, according to industry sources.

Along with the Celerio, the YRA ( B+ compact hatchback) will also roll out from Gujarat though its first launch is slated from Manesar in September 2015.

Cheers!

Source:ACI

Last edited by volkman10 : 26th February 2014 at 18:27.
Old 26th February 2014, 18:41   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Whew! Its been a busy busy Saturday. I got the following installed:

1. A basic Pioneer head unit with CD and USB. Dad doesn't have much use of a USB. However, couldn't find any unit without a USB port

3. Autocop Guardian security system

4. Hella windtone horns. Default was a reminder of bajaj Chetak!

6. 3M paint sealant

Some pictures please. Is the ownership thread up and running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The Celerio currently will roll out from Marutiís Manesar plant with an initial production capacity believed to be about 60,000 units annually. It is expected to reach peak volumes of 1,00,000 units in 2015.

60000 units is a modest prediction for such a heavily advertised product. It would easily do twice the predicted, cannibalising sales of Wagon R and Alto.
Closed Thread