Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 25th March 2014, 18:11   #466
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT laun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Unfortunately, Maruti doesn't seem to have a review car for Team-BHP & its users.
Wow this is unbelievable! What's with Maruti's complacent attitude?

Don't forget to mention the mandatory disclaimer however - Maruti did not invite Team-BHP for the Celerio test-drive. The team covered all the expenses for this driving event.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th March 2014 at 18:13.
Gannu_1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 22:28   #467
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT laun

[Sorry, I noticed some spelling and grammatical mistakes in my previous post. Hence, I'm repeating the post as I cannot edit the earlier post, plus with some added comments.]

Sorry for being picky, but since you asked, I don't think Team-BHP reviewed the Maruti Suzuki EECO. Was/is it a significant car? I believe so, for a significant number of buyers.

The car had (and still has) huge potential in the rural area as a fairly capable people mover with h-u-g-e cabin/boot space in proportion to its specifications. And the fact that it is a Maruti could/should have added to the appeal among buyers.

How I wish the Eeco had that famed 1.3 diesel engine and a power steering option. A Good FE, a PS and superb space in a compact diesel package could have set the Eeco sales on fire.

Unfortunately, something somewhere did not click and the Eeco did not live up to its expectations.

Maybe, the AWD on the Celerio could be incorporated on the Eeco for added appeal.

That said, we are eagerly awaiting the review of the Celerio. Many thanks to the Team-BHP member for donating his car to the Team-BHP laboratory for a complete test.

Last edited by misquitas : 25th March 2014 at 22:44.
Old 25th March 2014, 22:34   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, Maruti doesn't seem to have a review car for Team-BHP & its users. Their response has been far from satisfactory, despite email & phone interactions.
Thanks GTO. Now things have become more clear. Though late, we have the assurance that there will be an official review in-spite of all the obstacles.Hope this was conveyed a bit earlier which would have avoided the anxiety and confusion.

Yes, Datsun Go review was out within hours of launch.What I was hinting in that post was about the pre-release review of the GO done by sites like Motorbeam. I was wondering if they could get a review car before launch (official or un-official - I'm not very sure), how couldn't our forum manage to get one. Just shared this thought in that post. No offense meant.

Now anyway after the official launch , we got a great & detailed review of the GO.So no complaints in that regard now.
VinodDevil81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 08:17   #469
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, Maruti doesn't seem to have a review car for Team-BHP & its users. Their response has been far from satisfactory, despite email & phone interactions.

We're now going to borrow a generous Team-BHP fan's car, just as we had for our Swift Official Review
That is really thick from MSIL. Wonder why Maruti restricts some of new launches. Was't T-BHP invited for the review of both Ertiga and Alto 800? And they both came after the Swift.
Old 26th March 2014, 09:43   #470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing can keep us away from a new car, not even its own maker . Team-BHP owes this to its 19 lakh monthly visitors.
I agree, GTO!

I was looking everywhere to check about Celerio's information, however the thrist can only be satiated here.

I reached out to couple of dealers in Hyderabad for the test ride and price quotes for the Celerio(for my wife). I found the attitude little too complacent. I am now opting to go for the Hyundai Grand i10 AT Asta, post reading our review for that car.

Maruti- Do not lose touch with market and AMT can be mimicked in no time by others too!
getsurya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 10:42   #471
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, Maruti doesn't seem to have a review car for Team-BHP & its users. Their response has been far from satisfactory, despite email & phone interactions...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Wow this is unbelievable! What's with Maruti's complacent attitude? ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
That is really thick from MSIL. Wonder why Maruti restricts some of new launches. Was't T-BHP invited for the review of both Ertiga and Alto 800? And they both came after the Swift.
I think Maruti started giving a cold shoulder after team-bhp's review of the new gen (current) Swift and highlighting the brake issues in L & V variants. Ours was the ONLY forum which highlighted that issue and guess it was indeed a headache for Maruti. Had they provided a TD car (which would have been the Z version), the brake issue would NOT have been caught in the first place.

So Maruti - It's your attitude that cost you problems. May be you can delay the review by NOT giving a TD car to Team-BHP, but we will have our review at some point of time. And be warned, if the Mods get a L or V version, you might have trouble coming your way.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 26th March 2014 at 10:46.
swiftnfurious is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 10:50   #472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I think Maruti started giving a cold shoulder after team-bhp's review of the new gen (current) Swift and highlighting the brake issues in L & V variants. Ours was the ONLY forum which highlighted that issue and guess it was indeed a headache for Maruti. Had they provided a TD car (which would have been the Z version), the brake issue would NOT have been caught. So Maruti - It's you attitude that cost you problems. May be you can delay the review by NOT giving a TD car to Team-BHP, but we will have our review at some point of time. And be warned, if the Mods get a L or V version, you might have trouble coming your way.
I doubt that is the reason because we had reviewed DZire and Ertiga officially after the Swift review. And both were big success for Maruti in the market.

I think Maruti doesn't want an unbiased review coming up on EZDrive before it clicks in the market. After all, common man thinks it's a revolutionary product from Maruti, while it is actually a rewind to the past.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 11:19   #473
Senior - BHPian

ACI reviews Maruti Celerio with i10, Figo & Micra. Its basically comparison for manuals and not for AMT, keep in mind. Nice comparison on all parameters most common people looking out for and the overall winner is Celerio

Here is the Link : http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fea...go-375745.aspx

However i am not sure why they didn't consider Celerio Zxi (O) for the comparison when other top models are considered. It has loads of features and is most VFM in that segment.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 14:16   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

I think Maruti doesn't want an unbiased review coming up on EZDrive before it clicks in the market. After all, common man thinks it's a revolutionary product from Maruti, while it is actually a rewind to the past.
Totally Agree.They just don't want to spoil the hype they have managed to create about AMT with an unbiased detailed review like ours.Considering how they have marketed such a relatively obsolete technology as "Revolutionary" and "First in segment", this should be the real reason behind Maruti's indifferent attitude towards Team-Bhp.They are well aware that if they create an initial pull with an over-hyped waiting period, then that image itself would keep the car rolling out in huge numbers for years. Once the product clicks, then they need not bother about a neutral/unbiased/negative review.And I think they have almost succeeded in that plan.
VinodDevil81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 14:38   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Test drove the Celerio over the weekend. Here are my first reactions.

This car is mid-way car between Alto 800 and Wagon R with respect to size.

The AMT behaved very wierd in the Celerio (pardon me, I dont have sufficient experience with Automatics, have experience of driving the Corolla AT only). Just did not like the way it drove.

Apart from the AMT, the interiors on the VXi were a joke
- Manual OVRMs
- No Music System
- No Steering adjustment
- No Abs
- No Airbags

It basically is an Alto 800 with all 4 power windows and a slightly larger engine!!! The car felt like typical low-cost Maruti with materials reminding of my Zen with respect to door panels. The gear shift housing (component which holds the gear) seemed to be moving with the gear and was not reassuring.

With OTR price of 5.30 lakhs, I think the vehicle is very very overpriced for what it offers. I seriously hope that Tata launches AMT in its range of cars so that it creates some competition in the market and prices get rationalized.
Here were my first honest impressions of the car. I think Maruti is aware that they are charging a huge premium for what practically is an Alto with AMT. The Celerio Manual has very few advantages over an Alto 800.
Old 26th March 2014, 15:54   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Celerio Manual has very few advantages over an Alto 800.
Are you sure? Celerio manual has ZXi (O) variant if you want to buy, one which has features like Airbags, ABS, steering mounted controls, electrical OVRM's, alloy wheels, and few more. More importantly it has more powerful engine than Alto and is more spacious than the Alto 800 with bigger boot. I find everything better in Celerio over Alto 800. I am surprised with your comment for sure. BTW, what was your expectations?
aniketi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 16:55   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Are you sure? Celerio manual has ZXi (O) variant if you want to buy, one which has features like Airbags, ABS, steering mounted controls, electrical OVRM's, alloy wheels, and few more. More importantly it has more powerful engine than Alto and is more spacious than the Alto 800 with bigger boot. I find everything better in Celerio over Alto 800. I am surprised with your comment for sure. BTW, what was your expectations?
Firstly, since Alto does not have a ZXi variant, I think the feature comparison is not fair.

But yes, even Alto offers Airbags (not just in the top end but the Lxi model as well at ex-showroom price Thane of 333735. VXi Airbag comes to 349967). So someone looking for a safe budget small car, Lxi airbags makes perfect sense
The Celerio Manual ZXi (O) Variant is 506007. At that price point the Ritz makes more sense to me.

The AMT is the only reason why customers are considering the Celerio and the sales numbers are an indication of the same.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 17:10   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Firstly, since Alto does not have a ZXi variant, I think the feature comparison is not fair.

But yes, even Alto offers Airbags (not just in the top end but the Lxi model as well at ex-showroom price Thane of 333735. VXi Airbag comes to 349967). So someone looking for a safe budget small car, Lxi airbags makes perfect sense
The Celerio Manual ZXi (O) Variant is 506007. At that price point the Ritz makes more sense to me.

The AMT is the only reason why customers are considering the Celerio and the sales numbers are an indication of the same.
Okay. So what about someone who is looking for more features, more space and more power? Alto don't have Zxi version as its a budget small car. Celerio is for people who have little higher budget and wants more features with more power, space. Its like saying why one will buy City when Amaze has all features at less price or Xcent has all features then why one will buy Verna. Its about segment. Its about inside space. Its about power. Its about feel of owning higher segment car.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 03:04   #479
BHPian

Maruti plans to increase production of Celerio-- read on http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur.../18160/http://
Old 27th March 2014, 04:02   #480
BHPian

Maruti's real test will come when the hype of the AMT comes down. If you take out the AMT, the manual variant is clearly overpriced. A 1 liter engined car is priced on par with its 1.2 liter rivals. Hyundai Grand i10 looks far more attractive and futuristic, has much better features and interiors. I would be surprised if the manual variant manages to retain its initial momentum. Celerio is all about AMT and the ease of use in congested City traffic.
Closed Thread