Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 7th January 2014, 20:23   #46
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Maruti to offer AMT (Automated Manual - "EZdrive") in its small cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
AMT's are the simplest of automatic transmissions and are also the slowest shifting.
Also the cheapest, I presume, which is why it makes sense for Maruti to install them in their entry level cars. Whether the market will adopt them is another issue altogether.

Quote:
Shift speed was slower than what a half decent driver can manage.
(...)
My prediction is that the technology will not take off in India unless the latest generation system has gotten better. Pricing is still an unknown at this point but the upside is that FE is not compromised like a traditional planetary gear automatic
The 'traditional' way of driving in India is with a stick shift. You'll be surprised at how many people (including my family members!) shy away from even trying out ATs for some damn fool reason like, "If I don't have clutch how will I control the car?" It's going to take a long time to overcome this mindblock. Coupled with your inputs, it does seem this move may be doomed before it even takes off.
noopster is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 21:13   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Maruti to offer AMT (Automated Manual - "EZdrive") in its small cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The 'traditional' way of driving in India is with a stick shift. You'll be surprised at how many people (including my family members!) shy away from even trying out ATs for some damn fool reason like, "If I don't have clutch how will I control the car?" It's going to take a long time to overcome this mindblock. Coupled with your inputs, it does seem this move may be doomed before it even takes off.
In addition, people seem to have the impression that AT's are for people who don't know how to drive properly. A number of people have already asked me 'Oh you bought AT because you are not comfortable with manual?" when I tell I got an AT car.
Old 7th January 2014, 21:32   #48
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 9th January 2014 at 17:37.
agbenny is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th January 2014, 22:31   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Also the cheapest, I presume, which is why it makes sense for Maruti to install them in their entry level cars. Whether the market will adopt them is another issue altogether.
I would guess so based on its simplicity. But since it has been a 'flop' worldover, its not made in large volumes like CVTs and planetary ATs. This lack of scale may mean that its not exactly as cheap as it feels.

However, the upside is that FE loss is minimal to nil !

Last edited by Mpower : 9th January 2014 at 19:51.
Old 7th January 2014, 22:43   #50
Senior - BHPian

This was offered by Spectra Motors, Malad, way back in 2004 when I had bought my first car M800. The cost for this kit then was some 20k methinks.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 23:25   #51
BHPian

Can this AMT technology applied to any GB? If true then maruti has a winner in their hands. Considering the different engines used across its cars it would be expensive for them to have an AT designed and produced for different torque ratings. It might be even a shortcut way to offer automated transmission on their diesel cars which I am sure everybody here has it in their wish list.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 15:58   #52

The Proton Savvy was sold with an AMT gearbox sourced from Magneti Marelli way back in 2005. Worryingly, there are a quiet a few Malaysian forums that are filled with complaints about the reliability of these AMT gearboxes.
lordrayden is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 17:47   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Celerio’s AMT called ‘EZ DRIVE’.

http://indianautosblog.com/2014/01/m...-teased-111635
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 17:53   #54
BHPian

This is a very welcome move. I have personally been waiting for a good automatic on a good small car for the running around stuff at home as this an be used by the ladies at home and dont have to depend on the men folk for everything besides this would keep them safer than the step through scooters they are using now.

I just hope they dont do the same stupid thing that every manufacture does and give the ATM in only the top end models make it not worthy at all. Why dont they get it, I dont want all the frills and bells to goto the shop to buy veggies.
Old 8th January 2014, 18:04   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8er View Post
I just hope they dont do the same stupid thing that every manufacture does and give the ATM in only the top end models make it not worthy at all.
Speculations are the base variant will be available with 'AMT' only while the higher will be with manual too.

Refer this link.
http://carsizzler.com/news-detail/00...confirmed.html
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 18:52   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post

However, what needs to be seen is how well this will be accepted and how reliable it turns out to be in the long term.

I do recall that Hero Motors (Erstwhile Hero Honda) had launched a similar technique two wheeler by the name "STREET" sometime in year 1997-98, it had no clutch but one could still change gears and all assumed that this will turn out to be a boon for two wheelers and will create a revolution. But it never happened that way. Neither was Honda able to sustain that nor did competitors came out with such variant and it became a history. I do not know what led to its failure, was it not successful technically or did the people reject it.
I am not sure if it was the STREET bike. But I remember something called the TVS JIVE which came with some T-matic gearbox something.

Maybe since it was TVS and JIVE was not a big brand, it didn't get the sales rolling. But if it was a Bajaj Pulsar or Hero Honda Splendor maybe things would have been different.

Having said that, most people tend to resist change. Most people(Not all people) who don't like autoboxes have never even driven one. Some say you will feel bored and you will have nothing to do while driving if its an auto box.

But an experience can alter perception. Most people who have tried an automatic or bought one will almost buy an automatic only for their next car.

But this AMT if cheap can revolutionize the industry if its being brought in by a brand like Maruti !!!
microaubin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 19:35   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
Most probably, it was a Honda Street as the TVS Jive had not been launched 14 years ago. But then I could be wrong. Was it a proper motorcycle or a scooty like thing that resembled a Bajaj M80? If it was the latter, it was a Honda Street, else a TVS Jive. Both had a clutch lever less mechanism with rotary gears.
Yes, it must be the Honda Street.
Old 8th January 2014, 21:23   #58

Great news, but hope this technology is put to good use with the Diesel cars rather than petrol cars as they lack on auto boxes due to cost issues.

Many or if I'm not wrong, None of the Hot hatches and/or the Compact sedans have a Diesel car with auto transmission, and this technology may be a boon for those Highway cruisers.

If as per Magneti Marelli, the cost of production and implementation is significantly lower than the CVT and obviously the DSG boxes, many companies will be benefited by this new technology, if they feel to implement it in the right manner.

Off Topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post

I do recall that Hero Motors (Erstwhile Hero Honda) had launched a similar technique two wheeler by the name "STREET" sometime in year 1997-98, it had no clutch but one could still change gears and all assumed that this will turn out to be a boon for two wheelers and will create a revolution. But it never happened that way. Neither was Honda able to sustain that nor did competitors came out with such variant and it became a history. I do not know what led to its failure, was it not successful technically or did the people reject it.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see another technological step forward by the India's largest selling car manufacturer.
We also should not forget the same technology that was used in TVS Jive, and that too was not a success. I have driven that bike and it was a very good bike, although our people never really took to it.
MuthuSB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 22:45   #59

Maruti might be able to pull it off i guess. however I think both the HH street as well as the TVS Jive were flops. in fact i think the Jive was disontinued a while back
GuruGautham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 11:53   #60
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki has released a teaser of what they call EZ Drive which is to be released on the Celerio (global alto replacement, which means it will replace the A-star and the Estilo)

http://www.motoroids.com/news/maruti...-drive-teased/
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread