Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 8th January 2014, 22:14   #61
BANNED

Default re: Skoda Improving? Think again...Only getting worse! *EDIT: now waterpump fails!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Long story short, its been nearly two months that the car has been at the workshop thanks to Skoda's unethical and rigid customer care. Shame on you Skoda, you have lost a loyal corporate account for life. You ought to be sued and shut shop for playing with peoples lives!
Sorry to hear about your experience with Skoda.

My friend is a lawyer and he won a case for a Skoda owner last year, if you want I can pm you his mobile number. He lives in Noida.

PaRm

Last edited by noopster : 9th January 2014 at 13:03. Reason: Quoted post edited
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 22:21   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Skoda Improving? Think again...Only getting worse! *EDIT: now waterpump fails!*

I keep reading in various posts here that the issue is common in VAG cars be it Dsg failure or this ABS failure. But somehow the number of threads about these things failing in Skoda are way more than other VAG cars. Why is it that VW and Audi cars have less reported issues even though they probably share the same parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
My friend is a lawyer and he won a case for a Skoda owner last year, if you want I can pm you his mobile number. He lives in Noida.
Can you atleast post the basic details of the case here as to what was the fault in the car ( what model?) and what was the court's verdict or compensation given? This will give a lot of Skoda owners some motivation to not take things lying down.

Last edited by drmohitg : 8th January 2014 at 22:24.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 23:09   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
The following thread will help you with a list of best practices with your new 1.8TSI. The most important point is no: 5. I see many accessorising their cars. Avoid even the most basic ones such as seat covers, headlight bulbs of a higher rating, sun control etc (not to talk of upgrading of ICE and power upgrades) Also follow points 2 and 3 scrupulously.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...opean-car.html (7 Simple Guidelines if you're buying a European car)
Thanks a bunch for the link. That is a very good list. I will add these points to my list as well. Quoting the ones you have pointed out and my responses.

#2. "If you are the type who cannot be bothered to understand a car, its functioning, its occasional subtle feedbacks and would rather drive and enjoy the car and leave it to the A.S.S to look after all service related issues it would again be better to stick to the Japanese / Korean brands."

I plan to buy an OBD scanner and track the error codes myself before taking the car to the A.S.S. Also, I plan to thoroughly study the operations of the car and do my own research on the failures so that I can question the service personnel on their decisions to replace expensive parts. This should not be a problem as I am an electronics engineer by profession

#3. "If your car is going to be driven by a chauffeur it is better to avoid buying a Skoda. Also, even if you do not have a chauffeur, avoid having multiple drivers on your car (loaning the car to friends etc)."

The car will be only driven by me and I will refrain from even letting friends drive the car.

#5. "This is the most important one - Avoid Accessorizing Your Car – avoid ICE upgrades, reverse parking sensors, extra lights, change of original lights, change of horns, sun control films, seat covers (where the seats and pads have to be removed to fix them) etc even if the accessories are the original ones. Satisfy yourself with what is available in the higher variant and stick to the stock car. This will help improve the reliability. If you cannot do without accessories, then it is better to avoid a Skoda."

1.8TSI comes fully loaded and I have no plans to add anything else.

Quote:
Additionally for the new 1.8 TSI, fill in fuel only at good nationalised pumps such as BP, Indianoil or HP. Avoid all other pumps. Also remember to put your car in (P) at traffic lights or long halts such as traffic pile ups. Do you keep it in D for long idling sessions.

Best of luck!
I will definitely remember all the above points. Thank you once again for the useful tips.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 23:48   #64
Senior - BHPian

Smile re: Skoda Improving? Think again...Only getting worse! *EDIT: now waterpump fails!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I do have a confession to make. I have booked an Octavia 1.8TSi a few weeks back. After seeing all these Skoda horror stories, my mind says "cancel the order and run as fast as you can", but my heart would still not give up, as I don't see another enthusiast car with similar features at this price. So, I am making a list of best practices in preparation for the ownership and the list keeps growing

1. Be prepared for frequent niggling issues with the car and waiting times of 2 weeks in the workshop. In preparation for this, I have decided not to sell my existing car keeping it as a backup.
2. Do not buy the car without an extended warranty. I have already made it clear to Skoda that I will not go ahead with the purchase of the car if they do not provide extended warranty
3. Sell the car immediately after 4 years. Otherwise, create a contingency fund of at least 2 lakhs, and find a reliable third party garage.

Am I suicidal!!
Just a thought provoking question. What contingency have you planned or backup option do you have for the pain, frustration, any risk and just that miserable 'lemon car owner' feeling one will be left with, when issues crop up?

Not that I am suggesting it, but take a look at the refreshed Chevy Cruze.
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 06:43   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post

Just a thought provoking question. What contingency have you planned or backup option do you have for the pain, frustration, any risk and just that miserable 'lemon car owner' feeling one will be left with, when issues crop up?

Not that I am suggesting it, but take a look at the refreshed Chevy Cruze.
Most of the frustration when the car is in the workshop comes from the fact that you have to use a taxi when your 20 lac car is lying useless. That is the reason I decided to keep my existing car, so that I am not left without a transport. Also, I think reading all these threads itself is a preparation for the possible frustration. Having said that, you do have a point there about the Cruze. I did not consider it in the list as it was a diesel. I will have a look at it again.

On a lighter note, reading all these threads, one would feel the lemon concept does not apply to Skoda cars as most of them have problems. Instead, we should probably call the ones that do not have problems "Apples"? And pray to God that we end up with an Apple
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 08:18   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Why is it that VW and Audi cars have less reported issues even though they probably share the same parts?
Could it be that VAG does a stricter QC before release to the market and looks at every car manufactured for the weakest links that are prone to trouble before the cars are shipped which could not be the case with Skoda or rather Skoda India.

Quote:
I plan to buy an OBD scanner and track the error codes myself before taking the car to the A.S.S. Also, I plan to thoroughly study the operations of the car and do my own research on the failures so that I can question the service personnel on their decisions to replace expensive parts. This should not be a problem as I am an electronics engineer by profession.
Have a look at this link for more details on OBD Readers:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...dian-cars.html

Get one of these for yourself an ELM 327 OBD II Reader with Torque Pro App or Bosch's Fun2Drive App (Both of these work on Android mobiles and hope you have one).

http://www.ebay.in/itm/OBD-2-ELM-327...ht_3134wt_1397

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Android-Torqu...ht_1949wt_1397

Keep scanning the ECU for fault codes and check it online for the details, take the car to the ASC and tell them the problem and get it solved.

Quote:
Even if any modifications are done it should be done at the ASC itself or at a reputed known garage/modifier which will help in getting things correct.

Quote:
Most of the frustration when the car is in the workshop comes from the fact that you have to use a taxi when your 20 lac car is lying useless. That is the reason I decided to keep my existing car, so that I am not left without a transport.
I agree, and in most cases where Skoda has retained the car they haven't provided a temporary one for usage till the owner gets his car from the ASC. This is what I fail to understand as companies like Maruti, Hyundai and Honda (mentioning these three companies with experience) give a loaner car till the car problem gets solved, why can't Skoda do the same? May not be the same car and variant but a hatch can be given!

Quote:
On a lighter note, reading all these threads, one would feel the lemon concept does not apply to Skoda cars as most of them have problems. Instead, we should probably call the ones that do not have problems "Apples"? And pray to God that we end up with an Apple
So when are you getting your 'Apple'? and the popular saying - An Apple a day keeps the doctor away!

All the best for your ownership and I must say your one guy with courage!

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 08:45   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks a bunch for the link. That is a very good list. I will add these points to my list as well. Quoting the ones you have pointed out and my responses.

#2. "If you are the type who cannot be bothered to understand a car, its functioning, its occasional subtle feedbacks and would rather drive and enjoy the car and leave it to the A.S.S to look after all service related issues it would again be better to stick to the Japanese / Korean brands."

I plan to buy an OBD scanner and track the error codes myself before taking the car to the A.S.S. Also, I plan to thoroughly study the operations of the car and do my own research on the failures so that I can question the service personnel on their decisions to replace expensive parts. This should not be a problem as I am an electronics engineer by profession
If you do follow these points thoroughly, you would not even find the need to check error codes. Another important bit is when you leave the car for regular service, don't just leave it at the ASS and go about doing your other work at the office. Instead, be next to the car and see what is being done. Some mechanics can easily blunder and later point it out as a mistake with the car. (The ABS failure in another link would have happened with the mechanics failing to refit things properly). Look at it this way: the time spent at the ASS can save the time that you may have to spend if something goes wrong.

Quote:
#3. "If your car is going to be driven by a chauffeur it is better to avoid buying a Skoda. Also, even if you do not have a chauffeur, avoid having multiple drivers on your car (loaning the car to friends etc)."

The car will be only driven by me and I will refrain from even letting friends drive the car.
I will even add relatives to that list. Let it strictly be a one person driven car.. If you have to go to a place where there is valet parking, do not give the car to the valet but park the car yourself.

Quote:
#5. "This is the most important one - Avoid Accessorizing Your Car – avoid ICE upgrades, reverse parking sensors, extra lights, change of original lights, change of horns, sun control films, seat covers (where the seats and pads have to be removed to fix them) etc even if the accessories are the original ones. Satisfy yourself with what is available in the higher variant and stick to the stock car. This will help improve the reliability. If you cannot do without accessories, then it is better to avoid a Skoda."

They might offer certain free accessories - decline every single one (except for floor mats ) and take the payment in cash. Sometimes they also offer paint protective coatings, decline that too.

There are a lot of folks who own Skoda's on this forum and they are enjoying the car. As you have pointed out, problems happen with all cars, not just Skoda's and in some cases, it is probably because of lack of adequate care by owners too. (Allowing relatives who will not take care as to which pump they fill in fuel from to use the car for long periods and then take delivery from ASS without proper closure of error codes etc can certainly lead to problems as reported in another thread) That said, the response by some dealers indicate the dealer's ignorance and attitude too. The Germans will give you far more pleasure than a Japanese / Korean will ever do but require some babying on our part and when this is done they respond extremely well.

(PM me if you need help)

All the best !

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 9th January 2014 at 08:47.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 09:02   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. Sell the car immediately after 4 years. Otherwise, create a contingency fund of at least 2 lakhs, and find a reliable third party garage.
Am I suicidal!!
The answer to your last question is a yes from me. It is a bit like trying to go between two oncoming headlights.
Could it be two 2 wheelers? Could it be an apple from Skoda?!
Could it be a bus? Could it be a lemon from Skoda?!

Well, not really a great example, but I hope I can pass on the gist. It is really an unknown devil.

As for selling off the car after extended warranty is over, this is known to quite a few folks buying in the used car market. Moreover, just look at the supply of 4 year old or 60/70k run Skodas in the used car market. You could try any of the popular car sale portals. you would find that either some of these cars remain unsold for quite some time or the expected resale value needs to be quite negotiable.

Overall, you could end up:
- locking your money into your existing car (that you intend to keep as backup)
- and then lose money later during resale (if you get an apple)
- or lose money during repairs if Skoda is able to prove that any problem is not a defect but your mistake (if you get a lemon)

There is a possibility you get get Skoda'ed. Sorry there is no way I could have sugarcoated that one. Even sugar wants to stay away from Skodas
I should probably also warn you that the sky is falling, the oilwells now give only seawater and the world is going to end. Enough bashing from my side.

Last edited by selfdrive : 9th January 2014 at 09:04.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 11:06   #69
BHPian

Most of the problems encountered with Skoda are with the:

1. Auto gearboxes (petrol DSG to the most part but it also has some cases for diesel DSG)
2. Older 1.8 Octavia turbo

Do we have significant issues reported against either diesel or petrol manual versions for Laura or new generation Octavia? This is me trying to learn about the car since I am close to buying a manual Ambition Octavia TDI.

Please educate me with some informed information guys.

PS: I am talking about the product/part performance here, notwithstanding the general poor service standards that Skoda has set over the years. So, I will refrain from discussion the A.S.S.

Last edited by noopster : 9th January 2014 at 13:25. Reason: DGS= DSG :)
Abhi_Automobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 11:11   #70
Senior - BHPian

Smile re: Skoda Improving? Think again...Only getting worse! *EDIT: now waterpump fails!*

Quote:
Most of the frustration when the car is in the workshop comes from the fact that you have to use a taxi when your 20 lac car is lying useless. That is the reason I decided to keep my existing car, so that I am not left without a transport. Also, I think reading all these threads itself is a preparation for the possible frustration. Having said that, you do have a point there about the Cruze. I did not consider it in the list as it was a diesel. I will have a look at it again.

Well, it's not just leaving the car at the ASC which is the pain but making the customer pay big bucks relentlessly everytime parts fail, for no mistake of the customer, are the pain points and the most irritating of experience. That's what I meant and it's beyond having a back up car.

You know, deep inside I'm also very interested and optimistic about Skoda cars, not because I see some say it's a great driving experience and that not all cars will be lemons, but because I own a 1st gen Elegance Fabia and the experience is simply unmatched (fortunately for myself i've gotten a piece that so far has had no issues at all; touchwood). For ex: i've been agonizing myself trying to find another hatchback that can give me the same experience. Yet to find one to my liking.

But knowing the total lack of support and blatant disregard for customer's peace, I'm really considring not venturing with another Skoda again. We're wise when we learn from other's mistakes and issues. By no means I'm trying to dissuade you from buying your TSI. I hope too that you get an apple and enjoy your drive for the time you own it, without major trouble/or that Skoda or it's dealer stand by you.

Quote:
I will even add relatives to that list. Let it strictly be a one person driven car.. If you have to go to a place where there is valet parking, do not give the car to the valet but park the car yourself.
True and right. Call me paranoid but I never let anyone else drive my car. Have never given it to a valet in the 5 years that I've owned it. People think it's just a hatchback but hello!, it's a Skoda.

Last edited by noopster : 9th January 2014 at 13:27. Reason: Quoted post edited. Please stay on-topic
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 11:11   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Have a look at this link for more details on OBD Readers:...
Thanks a bunch for the links Anurag. The first thing I will do when I take delivery of the car is to buy this OBD scanner and install the Android app on my phone. I will also go through the complete thread in TBHP to understand the OBD scanner.

Quote:
I agree, and in most cases where Skoda has retained the car they haven't provided a temporary one for usage till the owner gets his car from the ASC. This is what I fail to understand as companies like Maruti, Hyundai and Honda (mentioning these three companies with experience) give a loaner car till the car problem gets solved, why can't Skoda do the same? May not be the same car and variant but a hatch can be given!
Given the present state of service, I think it would be too much to expect a courtesy car from a Skoda dealer!

Quote:
So when are you getting your 'Apple'? and the popular saying - An Apple a day keeps the doctor away!

All the best for your ownership and I must say your one guy with courage!

Anurag.
The tentative delivery date for my Apple is March
Cant say if it is courage, many would call it stupidity! Isn't there a saying "Fools rush in where the angels fear to tread?" I sincerely hope this does not become true in my case.

Quote:
Another important bit is when you leave the car for regular service, don't just leave it at the ASS and go about doing your other work at the office. Instead, be next to the car and see what is being done. Some mechanics can easily blunder and later point it out as a mistake with the car. (The ABS failure in another link would have happened with the mechanics failing to refit things properly). Look at it this way: the time spent at the ASS can save the time that you may have to spend if something goes wrong.
This is definitely a good idea. I am going to talk to my SA about this and insist they allow me to be around when they are servicing the car.

Quote:
They might offer certain free accessories - decline every single one (except for floor mats ) and take the payment in cash. Sometimes they also offer paint protective coatings, decline that too.
I will definitely follow this advice.

Quote:
There are a lot of folks who own Skoda's on this forum and they are enjoying the car. As you have pointed out, problems happen with all cars, not just Skoda's and in some cases, it is probably because of lack of adequate care by owners too. (Allowing relatives who will not take care as to which pump they fill in fuel from to use the car for long periods and then take delivery from ASS without proper closure of error codes etc can certainly lead to problems as reported in another thread) That said, the response by some dealers indicate the dealer's ignorance and attitude too. The Germans will give you far more pleasure than a Japanese / Korean will ever do but require some babying on our part and when this is done they respond extremely well.

(PM me if you need help)

All the best !
Thank you very much for the support. I believe Skoda cars are good, but the problem is with lack of expertise in servicing at the dealership level. With proper care and knowledge about the car, one could definitely have a pleasant ownership experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
The answer to your last question is a yes from me. It is a bit like trying to go between two oncoming headlights.
Could it be two 2 wheelers? Could it be an apple from Skoda?!
Could it be a bus? Could it be a lemon from Skoda?!
Add russian roulette to that list

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
As for selling off the car after extended warranty is over, this is known to quite a few folks buying in the used car market. Moreover, just look at the supply of 4 year old or 60/70k run Skodas in the used car market. You could try any of the popular car sale portals. you would find that either some of these cars remain unsold for quite some time or the expected resale value needs to be quite negotiable.

Overall, you could end up:
- locking your money into your existing car (that you intend to keep as backup)
- and then lose money later during resale (if you get an apple)
- or lose money during repairs if Skoda is able to prove that any problem is not a defect but your mistake (if you get a lemon)

There is a possibility you get get Skoda'ed. Sorry there is no way I could have sugarcoated that one. Even sugar wants to stay away from Skodas
I should probably also warn you that the sky is falling, the oilwells now give only seawater and the world is going to end. Enough bashing from my side.
I must agree that this whole deal doesn't make any sense financially, given the poor resale value of the car, high maintainance cost etc. and involves a great deal of risk. But then, I am in my early forties and decided that any financial risks I take should happen now, not later. In finance, the practice is to have maximum equity exposure when you are young and increase the exposure to liquid and debt funds as you get old. German cars are like equity exposure. Either they give splendid returns or result in huge loss. My next car certainly is definitely going to be a Japanese/Korean car.
graaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 11:18   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think Sahil is someone who knows his car's well, so we can trust that it was well maintained. Also, Maruti+Hyundai probably sell probably 30 times more cars than Skoda yet it is Skoda who keeps making the news again & again, not because of break downs but because of unbelievably bad A.S.S. and expensive keep up.

And a car is a car, it's not a baby. If it was a baby, no one would be without a child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
No doubt the Cruze will offer greater peace of mind though, but then I always felt sanity was overrated!
You may have given Skoda their punch line - "For those who think sanity is overrated"!

Last edited by noopster : 9th January 2014 at 12:56. Reason: Fixed quote tag
asr245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 11:56   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry to be blunt, but I have no idea why people are so desperate to buy a Skoda even after knowing its business practices, reading it all over again & again, at least in India. I can understand that all the build quality and stuff like that, but if a car keeps failing on road, which is its basic purpose, then what's the use of all that build quality and those fancy gizmos.

Skoda fans, feel free to blast me, but do suggest solutions to the people in need too that what they need to do when the whistles in Skoda start failing at 30K kms and then the company demands 2-3 lacs to set it right, until some other problem crops up.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 16:09   #74
BHPian

I always keep wondering: Why are these problems localized to Skoda alone and why are they not seen or reported on say, a Jetta or a Passat?

Is it because of the sheer number of Skoda Octavias and Superbs that outnumber their VW counterparts or does VW do a better job of resolving problem or honoring warranty better?

They are supposedly identical cars electronically and mechanically, right?

Can someone throw some light on this?

Last edited by battada : 9th January 2014 at 16:10. Reason: formating error found
battada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 16:41   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by battada View Post
I always keep wondering: Why are these problems localized to Skoda alone and why are they not seen or reported on say, a Jetta or a Passat?

Is it because of the sheer number of Skoda Octavias and Superbs that outnumber their VW counterparts or does VW do a better job of resolving problem or honoring warranty better?

They are supposedly identical cars electronically and mechanically, right?

Can someone throw some light on this?
That is something to ponder about. Though I refrained from buying a VAG car from past 5 years, many of friends went ahead and bought VWs and Skodas. For instance, my closest friends owns a 2011 Vento, and his experience has been fuss free (close to 30K Kms on ODO).

I do not have a personal experience to share about Skoda, but even in the IT circles I have only heard negative experiences. Are there any 100% positive ownership experiences? Haven't heard any!

What puts Skoda in even tight spot, is their premium branding, where you expect the best, but come to realize the worst.

It surprises me, how most of the potential buyers, who are betting their hard earned money are ignorant. Considering this - one my colleagues, who is SAS trainer, doesn't even want to even read these threads, his reason "Skoda is a big brand no way can this happen to everybody! and most stories are planted by competition"
rahuldevnath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote