Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 9th January 2014, 17:14   #76
BHPian

Default re: Skoda Improving? Think again...Only getting worse! *EDIT: now waterpump fails!*

As much as I love Skoda's cars, their after sales & support leaves a lot to be desired as is evident with yet another harassed customer. I just can't fathom the attitude, irresponsibility and arrogance that the manufacturer itself is displaying by asking Sahil to get in touch with customer service and/or the dealer when he is escalating the issue to them as a result of the latter's unsatisfactory resolution toward the same!

There is no end to this though. Social media awareness, negative press is proving to be moot as is Skoda's willingness to really step out there and up their game. Even word of mouth is not gonna stop people from buying their products.

I now understand why the joke thread has an opening post dedicated to Skodas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Do you think the unit they removed from your car would find its way to another car with an unsuspecting owner? Could it be the reason that the ABS issue cropped up in Sahil's car only after they tinkered with the brake pads?

I know one would not be worried what they do with the replaced part, but generally in Honda they just return the broken part to the customer/ car owner. Not sure if that happens at Skoda so wanted to ask!
I suspect of the same. Another possible theory would be that the dealer swapped the module on Sahil's car with a faulty one from some other customer's car with whom he might have good rapport.

Last edited by noopster : 10th January 2014 at 14:00. Reason: Post edited. PM sent
Turbo_Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 17:44   #77

Default re: Skoda Improving? Think again...Only getting worse! *EDIT: now waterpump fails!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

I know one would not be worried what they do with the replaced part, but generally in Honda they just return the broken part to the customer/ car owner. Not sure if that happens at Skoda so wanted to ask!
@ Toyota I always get replaced parts back including the bulbs (!). Dont remember Tata doing that when I had my Indica..
venkat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 08:52   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Torq View Post

I suspect of the same. Another possible theory would be that the dealer swapped the module on Sahil's car with a faulty one from some other customer's car with whom he might have good rapport.
I'd like to give the benefit of doubt to JMD here. Although it is a possibility I don't think they would stoop to such levels of foul play. The car was with them for two months before I got it back this week and I don't see any such part swaps having been done. You would need a really unethical top management at the dealership for such malpractices to occur.

The blame lies with Skoda's unreliable electronic parts.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 13:05   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I'd like to give the benefit of doubt to JMD here. Although it is a possibility I don't think they would stoop to such levels of foul play. The car was with them for two months before I got it back this week and I don't see any such part swaps having been done. You would need a really unethical top management at the dealership for such malpractices to occur.

The blame lies with Skoda's unreliable electronic parts.
The problem with Skoda and its high priced spares is that foul play can also hapen without the knowledge of the management of the dealership. It is quite possible that some unethical employees are swapping working parts from cars that come in for service with faulty parts and selling it to outside garages.
Santoshbhat is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 13:29   #80
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
9 out of 10 might be very happy with their Skodas but I am very very afraid of being that special one. 9 out of 10 is just not good enough. 99999 out of a 100000 should be more like it.
You bring forth a very, very important point.

Every manufacturer has lemons & failures. There are even problematic Marutis & Toyotas out there. Question is, out of every 100 cars you build, how many are troublesome? For Maruti & Toyota, the number should be ~1%. With the Europeans, it's significantly higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
But what if Skoda is not providing proper support to their dealers?
Skoda doesn't know a thing about managing, training & monitoring dealers. You should hear stories about Maruti. Dealerships are skinned alive if they indulge in any malpractices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I keep reading in various posts here that the issue is common in VAG cars be it Dsg failure or this ABS failure. But somehow the number of threads about these things failing in Skoda are way more than other VAG cars. Why is it that VW and Audi cars have less reported issues even though they probably share the same parts?
1. If the dealer / manufacturer take care of the failure quickly & competently, chances are the news won't make it to the public domain. Owners are most livid when they aren't offered the support they deserve.

2. Skoda has been around in India for longer than VW & Audi.

3. There are more Skodas (especially older models) on the road than VW & Audi.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 16:55   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

All machines fail.

It's the time taken between failures that decides reliability. And what the manufacturer does when the failure happens decides their credibility as an A.S.S. provider.

Most machine owners understand & accept that part-failures are inevitable at some point, brand notwithstanding. Skoda owners (actual & prospective) are scared because the brand has shown (repeatedly) that they just can't be trusted to stand by them when it happens.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th January 2014 at 16:57.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 17:08   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat2020 View Post
@ Toyota I always get replaced parts back including the bulbs (!). Dont remember Tata doing that when I had my Indica..
I had Indica almost 10 years back, and always I got my replaced parts back including the bulbs...This was @ Concorde Bangalore.
manjubp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 17:34   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You should hear stories about Maruti. Dealerships are skinned alive if they indulge in any malpractices.
Very true. Reminds of an incident with Jagdish Khattar. Soon after the Swift was launched, I went for a test drive with my mom who was looking to buy a new car. The test drive car was in such poor shape that she dropped the idea of buying a Swift.

In a meeting with Khattar soon after, I happened to mention this incident. He immediately picked up his mobile phone and called the owner of that particular dealership and told him very politely that he's heard that the wheels are falling off the dealerships' test drive car. I could make out that the guy on the other end of the line was highly flustered and when he tried to deny it, Khattar narrated my story and gave him my name and number. The next day I got three calls from the dealer offering a test drive on a brand new Swift.
StarScream is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 19:03   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Very true. Reminds of an incident with Jagdish Khattar. Soon after the Swift was launched, I went for a test drive with my mom who was looking to buy a new car. The test drive car was in such poor shape that she dropped the idea of buying a Swift.

In a meeting with Khattar soon after, I happened to mention this incident. He immediately picked up his mobile phone and called the owner of that particular dealership and told him very politely that he's heard that the wheels are falling off the dealerships' test drive car. I could make out that the guy on the other end of the line was highly flustered and when he tried to deny it, Khattar narrated my story and gave him my name and number. The next day I got three calls from the dealer offering a test drive on a brand new Swift.
That would happen if you complained to the head of any company, not just Maruti.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 19:29   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
That would happen if you complained to the head of any company, not just Maruti.
Really? Because I've dealt with a lot of companies and that is not my experience. There are a few reasons why this incident stuck in my head:
1. He could have done nothing.
2. Even if he decided to do something about it, he didn't have to call personally. He could have asked the manager in charge of dealerships to follow up.
3. The fact that he had the owner's number on his cellphone showed how hands on he was.
4. The reaction of the dealer shows how scared they were of the company - the point to which I was replying.

I don't know about you but I'm easily impressed.
StarScream is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 19:34   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You bring forth a very, very important point.
Reliability is important, but then why do I like to take out my Skoda in favour of my Toyota? It's sublime ride is hard to be replicated by the robotic japs. When they ride, the exhilaration is intoxicating. That is also an important aspect of driving... Skoda gives a near German package of luxury and performance at a fraction of the cost of the 'originals'.

Last edited by dkaile : 11th January 2014 at 19:36.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 20:00   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Really? Because I've dealt with a lot of companies and that is not my experience. There are a few reasons why this incident stuck in my head:
1. He could have done nothing.
2. Even if he decided to do something about it, he didn't have to call personally. He could have asked the manager in charge of dealerships to follow up.
3. The fact that he had the owner's number on his cellphone showed how hands on he was.
4. The reaction of the dealer shows how scared they were of the company - the point to which I was replying.

I don't know about you but I'm easily impressed.
While it is nice that he personally called up in front of you, that may be a coincidence that he knows the dealer owner because he is based in Delhi and so is the dealer in question I'm guessing (I highly doubt he would know many of the dealers in the country, maybe the larger few)

I don't think a head of a company would do nothing about feedback given to him personally. If tomorrow you are having a sit down with Sudhir Rao of Skoda and you tell him something similar, he may not call personally in front of you but I'm sure he would make sure something is done about it (its a separate issue a Skoda TD car would never feel like its falling apart due to the better build of Euros compared to Japs )

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 11th January 2014 at 20:15.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 20:21   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Reliability is important, but then why do I like to take out my Skoda in favour of my Toyota? It's sublime ride is hard to be replicated by the robotic japs. When they ride, the exhilaration is intoxicating. That is also an important aspect of driving... Skoda gives a near German package of luxury and performance at a fraction of the cost of the 'originals'.
'Love' has never been known to be rational. Hence the saying 'Heart over Head'.
Japanese precision, reliability, predictability etc are brilliantly perfect! However, they just do not inspire the same levels of emotion as do the Euro brands. I have no idea why.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 20:27   #89
BHPian

Quote:

I would say that you were lucky that you had a chance interaction with Mr. Khattar. He may have helped you by dialling the owner of a particular dealership. But the best would have been that he should have ordered an inquiry as how come home a test drive car is in such bad shape when it has been launched only recently. He should have asked his sales team to find out the facts and should have asked the dealer to replace the test drive car with a different car. This would have helped other customers as well.

I still say that this is a very rare case, otherwise we rarely see the head talking directly to the owner of a dealer. In normal cases their office would ask the concerned department to look into the issue and revert on the action taken within a stipulated time period.
mints21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 20:52   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
I would say that you were lucky that you had a chance interaction with Mr. Khattar. He may have helped you by dialling the owner of a particular dealership. But the best would have been that he should have ordered an inquiry as how come home a test drive car is in such bad shape when it has been launched only recently. He should have asked his sales team to find out the facts and should have asked the dealer to replace the test drive car with a different car. This would have helped other customers as well.

I still say that this is a very rare case, otherwise we rarely see the head talking directly to the owner of a dealer. In normal cases their office would ask the concerned department to look into the issue and revert on the action taken within a stipulated time period.
Your last point is precisely why I remember the incident even though it was years ago.

Chance and luck had nothing to do with it, it was a work meeting related to what I do. I don't know what transpired after I left his office. All I know is that next day the test drive car was a new one, which obviously benefits other customers.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote