Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 9th January 2014, 14:28   #16
BHPian

Default Re: December 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Sixth consecutive month of recovery for the Fiat brand in India.
Fiat to buy full control of Chrysler, all registrations here:
http://www.carsitaly.net/fiat-car-sales_india.htm
Bluefiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 14:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
December discounts have worked very well for Renault. Numbers for Fluence jumped to 86 from 12 & 15 in previous two months, similarly for Koleos.
I do not think it's only the discounts, rather it could be the manufacturers pushing dud cars down the dealers throat before any of the 2014 lot is sent. 92 Evalias against 24 in Nov.
thoma is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 14:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

My analysis -

Chevy: So many models but hardly selling any. Don't see any future for the company in near term. Only way for them is towards south only.

Fiat: They are maintaining their exclusivity on the road. I guess they are competing other European cars like Audi, BMW, Merc in numbers.

Ford: Hard to believe numbers. For one model (EcoSport) people are waiting for months & for other models company is waiting for months to get the customers. Future is highly in doubt IMHO with this kind of strategy and attitude.

Honda: Brio has no future, Amaze is struggling against Dzire & will face more tough road after i10 Grand Sedan is in the market. Lets see how City does in coming months. Honda needs Jazz really quick in the market with production capacity increased to total of more than 15 K.

Hyundai: Great going but feeling heat now. All their stars like Eon, Verna, i20 struggled this month. i10 Grande saved them big way. Lets see how they go in coming months.

Mahindra: Good going for Scorpio, Bolero & XUV. They should have launched W2 of XUV at 10 L. It could have gained them more numbers. Sad to see Xylo is struggling, much better car than numbers suggest. Other cars?? Are there any?? (Nothing to talk about Verito twins & Quanto)

Nissan / Renault: Sudden rise in Scala, Pulse numbers. Don't know how. May be stock clearance to dealers for year end as financial year end for Renault is December. Nothing much apart from Terrano & Duster. New micra is good but hard to find on roads, i never saw new one on road in Pune !

Skoda: They are still selling cars after so many horror stories !!! Future road is very hard though considering their A.S.S. & cars.

Tata: Do something, very fast, time is running out. Lets wait & see what they launch next month. Very very sad to see Nano numbers. Its a very good city car & can easily sell at least 5 K per month. Tata marketing & A.S.S. to blame here.

Toyota: As usual, mainly Innova & Fortuner only. Etios twins are coming down south every month. Hope they learn a lesson from this. People will not buy any shit if its from Toyota, mind it.

VW: Only 3 models doing business. With new Honda City, Vento has tough future for sure. Also Polo has lost all its shine now. No hopes for them till they bring something new all together.

Last but not least,

Maruti: First of all hearty congratulations to Maruti for their awesome effort. Doing 48% business when so much stiff competition is there, is just awesome, Kudos to them
All there heroes like Alto, Swift, Dzire, Wagon R, Ertiga, Omni giving them super duper hit months after months. Really well done. Others should learn from them. As I already mentioned few time back, ready delivery of Swift, Dzire, Ertiga etc (including diesel) is problem for others. Last 2 months just shows that. With coming Celerio & new Sedan, i am sure they may touch 50% mark as well. If they does it, it will be the mammoth achievement for sure.
aniketi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 15:15   #19
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Ah, it's here finally! The suspense was getting a bit too much. It was well worth the wait, though. Rated 5-stars as usual, thank you!

The diesel-petrol sales split for the calendar year 2013:

Jan - 41845 : 10185 ~ 4 : 1

Feb - 13466 : 3900 ~ 3.5 : 1

Mar - 38714 : 8212 ~ 4.75 : 1

Apr - 40918 : 12025 ~ 3.5 : 1

May - 33846 : 11711 ~ 3 : 1

Jun - 49405 : 24197 ~ 2 : 1

Jul - 46675 : 22018 ~ 2 : 1

Aug - 66542 : 25314 ~ 2.75 : 1

Sep - 70643 : 30793 ~ 2.25 : 1

Oct - 77725 : 34696 ~ 2.25 : 1

Nov - 61846 : 27613 ~ 2.25 : 1

Dec - 58904 : 28556 ~ 2 : 1

The ratio has come down to the joint lowest level (~ 2 : 1) of the year in December (along with the months of June and July). This means manufacturers still sell twice as many diesel-engined cars as petrol-engined ones, only for models where both options are available of course. Again, this is only an approximation as the manufacturers who don't share the split figures varies from month to month.

As usual,

i. All numbers are from Team-BHP's monthly sales threads.

ii. The ratio applies only for those cars whose split figures for that month were provided by the manufacturers.

iii. It becomes impossible to calculate the overall ratio in the absence of split figures from two or three mainstream manufacturers.

iv. Petrol car numbers include those that came with factory-fitted LPG & CNG kits.

In December 2013, diesel cars generally outsold their petrol counterparts for models that have both options. As with any rule, there are exceptions. The following cars' petrol-engined models outsold the diesels:

Chevrolet - Sail (sedan) & Sail U-VA

Hyundai - Grand i10 & i20

Maruti Suzuki - SX4

Nissan - Micra (including Micra Active)

Škoda - Superb

Toyota - Corolla

Last edited by RSR : 9th January 2014 at 15:33.
RSR is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 15:38   #20

i10 Grand has surely cannibalised the sales of i10 and i20. Those interested in i10 would upgrade by plonking in a few thousand rupees and those going for i20 may want to save some money by going for a not too dissimilar car in terms of space in the form of i10 grand. Another point to note, i10 moves above i20 in the last month of the December quarter
Old 9th January 2014, 15:43   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Jan - 41845 : 10185 ~ 4 : 1
Dec - 58904 : 28556 ~ 2 : 1
That is a good analysis. Though not accurate, it definitely shows the trend. Maybe among the reasons why Tata has decided to shelf the Nano diesel.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 15:54   #22
BHPian

Wow, fiesta new sold one copy this month. What poor reaction to such a nice drivable car :(
Old 9th January 2014, 16:03   #23
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Mahindra XUV500 defied the general trend by sending more despatches [2391] in December 2013 than in November 2013 [2262]. My XUV500 W8 Opulent Purple is one among 2391.
J.Ravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 16:36   #24
BHPian

I doubt if only 1 new Fiesta was sold in the month of Dec. I was in the market for new Fiesta a month back and was in touch with multiple dealers in Hyderabad. As per them they have at least sold 20 cars in total (3 dealers). This is is just in Hyderabad, if we consider sales from other cities, the number would be close to 100 (?)
Old 9th January 2014, 16:43   #25
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple View Post
I doubt if only 1 new Fiesta was sold in the month of Dec. I was in the market for new Fiesta a month back and was in touch with multiple dealers in Hyderabad. As per them they have at least sold 20 cars in total (3 dealers).
There is reason to believe what the dealers say. They would be selling the cars that are already available with them.

The single Fiesta (new) sold this month is what Ford moved out from their factory. The official sales number that we get actually reflect the factory sales/dispatches to the dealers, and not final sales to customers (which are done by the dealers).
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 16:50   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple View Post
I doubt if only 1 new Fiesta was sold in the month of Dec. I was in the market for new Fiesta a month back and was in touch with multiple dealers in Hyderabad. As per them they have at least sold 20 cars in total (3 dealers). This is is just in Hyderabad, if we consider sales from other cities, the number would be close to 100 (?)
The sale shown here is wholesale (No of vehicles billed to dealers).

so it is very much possible that they sold 1 unit to the dealers. Generally December sales nos are bit misleading as the manufacturer generally cut down their production, try to liquidate the company and dealer stock as much as possible. Plus there are huge discounts available across models and markets in December, so the retail sale (to final customer) is generally higher (in some cases much higher) than the wholesale or declared sale
Prafful_Rathod is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 16:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post

The fuel story - December 2013
Is there any chance we get the number of Automatics sold?? Lot of people keep complaining that there are not enough choice available for AT in Indian market. So i am very curious to know how many AT's are actually sold from the available options. I am sure that % is less than 5. I know that I am asking too much, but can't help. As a T-BHP member I always expect more
aniketi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 17:04   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I do NOT understand this trend! Ecosport has been reducing in numbers and boast of a waiting period while it's the same with Terrano. Duster seems to be declining as well, so it's NOT the case of Duster prioritized over Terrano.
The way i see this, after the initial euphoria and serving the pre-booked cars during the launch in the first two months, Terrano is headed for a major downslide. To add to this, they are hiking the prices by 40K.

Talk about strategies !
vinayak007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 17:13   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I do not think it's only the discounts, rather it could be the manufacturers pushing dud cars down the dealers throat before any of the 2014 lot is sent.
Yes, agree. Let's wait for January numbers for Renault.

In this case, we should expect discount schemes from Renault dealers now.
By the way, a known contact was getting 2.5L discount on Fluence in Delhi last month.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 19:13   #30
BHPian

At Honda, they seem to have something up their sleeve.

No billing of New City in Dec ? I am confident I saw some vehicles at dealer yard on 31 Dec - 1st Jan.

Even if no City was billed, definitely Honda must have had full steam production of this car in the month. Add to it, recent interview where top officials at Honda have confirmed that they are starting 3rd shift at plant, i.e. 30% additional production.

Now even considering that Amaze numbers are due to low demand (which I believe is not true), we have Amaze @ 4500-5000 vehicles & Brio @ 1500-2000 vehicles from a revised production capacity of 13000 odd vehicle (30% up from current 10000 vehicles).

It is then safe to say that Honda will manufacture approx. 6,000 New City in Jan and a carry forward of some 5,000 vehicles from December production i.e Honda now has in excess of 10,000 New Honda City to be on safe side to sell this month. Unless of course, Honda plans to export New Honda City which will change entire equation.

I am sure if they do manage such a feat, this will be a massive boost for Honda and will scare their competitors (Verna, Vento & Rapid), who are doing 1500-2500 units.

Question is, Can they do it???

Last edited by akhilesh51 : 9th January 2014 at 19:14.
akhilesh51 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread