Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 10th January 2014, 10:36   #46
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Re: December 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

I find one common factor among the new breed compact SUVs: their numbers have declined significantly in the last quarter of 2013, perhaps due to exports overtaking the domestic sales.

Ford EcoSport: 5113, 4392 and 3905

Nissan Terrano: 3079, 2865 and 1446

Renault Duster: 4657, 3624 and 2613

Will this trend change in 2014? Only the time will answer this question.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 10th January 2014 at 10:42.
Old 10th January 2014, 10:52   #47
BHPian

Nissan & Renault being made in same factory, they together account for 6670 cars in Dec. This is higher than Ford (5871), Chevy(5705) and can be counted as 6th largest.

VW & Skoda duo together make 4809 & that count doesn't take them any higher than where VW currently is.
Old 10th January 2014, 11:08   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayak007 View Post
The way i see this, after the initial euphoria and serving the pre-booked cars during the launch in the first two months, Terrano is headed for a major downslide. To add to this, they are hiking the prices by 40K.

Talk about strategies !
Terrano was never going to make a cut with the way Duster was priced. They could have looked at a 4WD though, as a USP for additional money. I think except for people who LOVE Terrano looks or HATE Duster looks, no one would buy this car for the extra cash. But, my money is always on the Terrano though. This additional hike is never going to help Nissan, but we can expect sales hit and good discounts on this soon.

Between, is Duster also having a price revision?
Old 10th January 2014, 11:49   #49
BHPian

Exclamation Re: December 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

When WagonR sales increases Santro's decreases and vice versa!

Look at the trend - It is happening for most of the months.Jan, Feb, April, June, July, Oct, Nov. This indicates that there may a portion of car buyers who choose only between Santro and WagonR.
Name:  graph.jpg
Views: 3700
Size:  109.4 KB

Last edited by ravradha : 10th January 2014 at 11:58.
ravradha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 12:32   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Between, is Duster also having a price revision?
Yep. I've been speaking to both Nissan and Renault SAs and here is what i've been told:

Duster:
  • Renault is eager to clear 2013 stock by offering discounts upto 60K
  • For the 2014 variant, there is price hike upto 30-40K and zilch discounts
  • Waiting time on the 2014 cars more than a month-month and a half.

Terrano:
  • Price hike effective 2014 bookings, although there is no news on the new rate list
  • I haven't been offered any discounts so far.
  • Waiting time of again a month on 2014 models (though i dont believe these guys)

Personally, i like Terrano's looks and the fact that there is a novelty around the car as opposed to Duster's omnipresence.
vinayak007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 13:15   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayak007 View Post

The way i see this, after the initial euphoria and serving the pre-booked cars during the launch in the first two months, Terrano is headed for a major downslide. To add to this, they are hiking the prices by 40K.

Talk about strategies !
Renault/Nissan have a pretty lean operation in India and they're on their way to being profitable by the end of this fiscal year. (including export revenue). The duster made it all possible for them and I think they're going to milk as much profit out of this as they can. Duster/terrano gives them an easier way to manipulate prices on the same product.

They must be concentrating all their resources on the datsun launch for now. They'd be present in all segments from A to D after that launch. Even in the commercial vehicle segment with their tie up with Ashok Leyland.
Old 10th January 2014, 13:30   #52
BHPian

Thanks to Parrys for the wonderful thread. The general down ward curve of Renault Duster and Nissan Terrno (even when combined) is not understandable, when many in the forum vouch for the reliability and road worthiness. Is the buyer now worried about the price aspect? For that matter Sales figures of Eco Sport also is on the decline. What is happening to the SUV market in India?
Old 10th January 2014, 14:44   #53
BHPian

Wonderful analysis, worth the wait. Any reason why its not appearing on the home page like it usually does?

Ford and Nissan-Renault seem to be using India more as a manufacturing base rather than a true "market". Although what Ford is out to do is best left to very creative imagination.

I think its also very apparent that

1. Prospective buyers are holding off purchases till the new year at least. And whats more, with increased awareness, they could be insisting on cars actually manufactured in 2014.
2. Manufacturers, in sync with the above trend, and the overall downturn got into inventory management post festive season and pushed out fewer cars from the factory.

Kudos to Maruti. Time and again, they have demonstrated their understanding of the Indian market. They really want to, and do belong here, unlike some other opportunistic players. The international big daddies would do well to take several leaves out of Maruti's book.

Kudos to Mahindra too for sustaining the momentum on their flagship models. However, cash cow Bolero's loss would be a big issue for them.
The Tata Sumo seems to be doing well, now that's a surprise!

CRV, once an icon on Indian roads, seems to be dying a quiet death.
The D segment seems to be getting wiped out altogether. Even the launch of the new Octavia has done nothing for it. Does it even deserve to be a separate segment any more?
Old 10th January 2014, 15:34   #54
BHPian

Currently Hyundai is the only company in India which is selling models belonging to three successive generations -Santro, i10 & i10-Grand. Sadly for them i10's launch has negatively impacted their own models much more than it has Maruti. Wagon R is flying high unaffected by the launch of i10-grand. Eon is selling nearly five times less than its direct rival Alto. With an unrefined three pot motor in the Eon people are still going for the new Alto which is basically a re-skinned version of the older generation car. People still value refinement, efficiency, hassle free ownership and reliability of Alto over the Eon. As i have said several times already a car with the backing of such a widespread sales and service network of Hyundai and belonging to the ''A'' segment ought to be selling at-least twice the amount it is selling currently.

Dzire and Swift are still doing incredibly well for Maruti. Wagon R is doing exemplary numbers in times of such slow down and not having a oil burner under its hood. Alto is Alto, nobody can get anywhere near its numbers.The nearest competitor is the well rounded Dzire from a much higher segment.

Chevrolet seems to have completely lost the impetus they had with the launch of Diesel Beat. The Beat is putting out paltry numbers despite having diesel as an option.

Ford figo's age is starting to show with it struggling to cope under intense pressure from it more rounded competitors. Ecosport can do hell a lot more numbers if Ford decide to prioritize domestic sales over exports.

Toyota has done decently with Etios being increasingly preferred over Manza by fleet operators. You can always expect good numbers from Innova and the Fortuner.

Tata is probably the company which is in most dismal state right now. The Indica/Indigo range have very few takers now. Aria is an official dud now and Nano has nearly run out of life. Safari Storme is doing more decent numbers but nowhere near the mighty Scorpio.

Renault's day is saved by Duster and Nissan's by Terrano but Volkswagen and Skoda are struggling to do good numbers.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 10th January 2014 at 15:36.
needforspeed88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 15:52   #55
BHPian

Eon is a lesson for companies launching half baked products. The vibrating gear lever is sorted. Now, even though it is the perfect small car for the city, is still not selling. Poor marketing isn't helping either. May need a sharper relaunch. Verna needs a refresh as well. Hyundai also needs top keep the ownership costs low.

Hyundai: Great going but feeling heat now. All their stars like Eon, Verna, i20 struggled this month. i10 Grande saved them big way. Lets see how they go in coming months.
Old 11th January 2014, 01:44   #56
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: December 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Wow.. look at the Diesel Vs Petrol story in VW case,
Polo 3:2 Approx
Vento 3:1 approx
Jetta 3:1 approx.

Figures are good for those sort of numbers and seem high compared to all other manufacturers.

My guess is our market truly respects TSI's and only the manufacturer is dumb not to understand it. We are slapped with unrealistic 3 to 6 months waiting period.

@Mods, could we request for the raw data?
As proved by jesse007 post, we may have several data analysts / scientists that could bring more insights to this analysis. Just a thought. Cheers.

Last edited by GTO : 11th January 2014 at 16:13. Reason: Typos
Old 11th January 2014, 09:01   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selvagp View Post
Wow.. look at the Diesel Vs Petrol story in VW case,
Polo 3:2 Approx
Vento 3:1 approx
Jetta 3:1 approx.

That figures are good for those sort of numbers and seems high compared to all other manufactures.

My guess is our market truly respects TSI's and only the manufacturer is dumb not to understand it. We are slapped with unrealistic 3 to 6 months waiting period.
The recent price hikes in diesel and the inclination of the government to do away with subsidy is the reason behind this. There is no role of TSI engine here. Almost all vehicles are seeing a surge in there petrol model sales numbers. For instance take a look at the following:
1. Sail Sedan : D- 348; P- 424
2. Sail UVA : D- 225; P- 285
3. Figo : D- 1385; P- 477
4. Amaze : D- 2618; P- 1840
5. I10 Grande : D- 2171; P-6906
6. I20 : D- 1739; P- 1752

Hyundai has actually managed to sell more petrol cars than diesel!
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 16:19   #58
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
This is interesting Ford sold 3514 Ecosport diesel while the petrol count stands at mere 391 units. Makes me wonder, why is there a huge waiting list for the petrol variants? Just not producing enough, or all aligned for export?
Exports, most definitely. There is no reason for EcoSport numbers to go down when it has a waiting period of 9 - 12 months!

IIRC, Ford's production capacity is 1.5 lakh cars (2 shifts) to 2 lakh cars (3 shifts). That's between 12500 - 16667 cars each month.

On the other hand, Ford India has been selling between 6000 - 10000 cars / month in recent times.

The difference is definitely moved out via exports. I wish they'd first clear the India backlog before shipping EcoSports internationally. The Indian management probably wants to do just that, but these might be orders from international bosses.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 16:39   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Exports, most definitely. The Indian management probably wants to do just that, but these might be orders from international bosses.
Having interacted with ford india extensively I can tell you that it is a conscious effort on the local management as well to increase their share of export earnings. A roughy number is a focus to up it from 20% of turnover to say 40-45%. There are a few reasons for this

1-- better realisations at current exchange rates
2-- USD earnings provide the company with a natural hedge against their USD loans.
3-- Being a star exporter comes with multiple benefits from the government which includes the ability to access cheaper funding in foreign currency.

Not getting into details here

Exporting is a no brainier actually from a purely business perspective. How ford would be wishing that their plant in Sanand would be up and running
Shortsell is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 17:32   #60
BHPian

Somebody should take a lesson from Ford as to how to mess up a good product with bad positioning, pricing and marketing. I mean the New Ford Fiesta has such a good balance of ride and handling, has both engine options yet has found few takers due to the callousness exhibited by Ford.
Closed Thread