Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 13th January 2014, 20:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Ford India cuts Classic price by up to 1 Lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Here's what I really want to know though does the effect of these price cuts trickle down to the second-hand car market too? Would a 1.6s become cheaper?
No, never, it wouldn't or rather it shouldn't..

Yours sincerely,
A Fiesta 1.6 S owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Now, this is tempting. The Fiesta S has always been my favorite car and now with this news hope to see the classic numbers ticking.
I hope you are talking about the Fiesta Petrol, as the 1.6 S versions is long since gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
The problem with the Fiesta classic petrol is the pathetic Fuel efficicincy that it offers and the terrible resale of the petrol. The different in FE is nearly 25-30 % lower compared to the competition. Now that the base version.
True, the Fiesta petrol is not efficient, that is because it has a sweet 1.6L engine against the 1.2L units in the Dezire and Amaze. Also, I am pretty sure the Fiesta is the most solid and thus the heaviest car in the segment right now, thus pulling down its efficiency figures.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 21:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
of an engine (1.6L/100 Bhp) plus handling package. Great steal for a College kid
Evidently a rather well-heeled College kid or at any rate, one with seriously well-heeled or maybe NRI parents!
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 21:56   #18
BHPian

Ford should bring back the Fiesta - S in classic avatar, there are more than handful (including me) ready to plonk on that model alone. ACI once declared that Fiesta-S is the best vehicle on the other side of 20 lacs range (other being a BMW).
For the business of Ford, it may not make sense since all driver oriented cars were rejected in our market (example : Polo TSI, linea tjet, Fiesta-S, etc...).

Hopefully the regular classic Fiesta will bring back the glory
harishpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 22:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Evidently a rather well-heeled College kid or at any rate, one with seriously well-heeled or maybe NRI parents!
Quite true.

But does one need NRI parents to get a car while doing college? Back in early 2000 when I did my college, a small number of them used to have their own cars.

Talking about re-sale, as it is there isn't a decent resale value for a petrol Ford. I wonder what's there to loose further.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 22:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hate to be a spoilsport, the Classic, though quite capable in its own right, actually benefits from some suspension/steering component sharing with its smaller brother, Figo, rather than its previous look-alike Fiesta. This can be felt on a back to back drive of a proper old Fiesta 1.6 and a new classic 1.6.
1100D is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 00:32   #21
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

I tried to get the updated prices from Ford's online chat support some hours ago, but they did not have it. Strangely, they even mentioned that there is no official word on the price cut yet, at least at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Hate to be a spoilsport, the Classic, though quite capable in its own right, actually benefits from some suspension/steering component sharing with its smaller brother, Figo, rather than its previous look-alike Fiesta. This can be felt on a back to back drive of a proper old Fiesta 1.6 and a new classic 1.6.
I don't know if the Classic uses some different mechanical bits and pieces from the Figo, as I haven't driven them back to back.

What is clearly obvious though, is the cost-cutting that Ford has done on the Classic, compared to the old Fiesta. There are quite a few bits and pieces that have gone through the cost-cutting process, and this surely had a role to play in the cheaper pricing of the car after it was repositioned as the (Fiesta) Classic.

Last edited by RSR : 14th January 2014 at 00:37.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 02:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

if this is a long term plan, and not just a way to dump stocks, I'd love to pick up a classic in the near future - It's a much better deal than dumping a ton on a B+ hatch, and even the base classic comes with decent equipment too!
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 06:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

This one lac price cut is not yet reflecting either on their site or on carwale.
Old 14th January 2014, 06:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the Classic Fiesta feels more Figo than the Fiesta. But the Figo is no slouch by any standards when it comes to handling dynamics. Its just the way that it looks inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Old 14th January 2014, 07:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
No, never, it wouldn't or rather it shouldn't..

Yours sincerely,
A Fiesta 1.6 S owner.
LOL are you sure? As far as I know, there is no substantial difference when compared to the normal petrol Fiesta (stiffer suspension, slightly different map, revised exhaust for better response) that would command a significantly higher price. How would you or any other 1.6S owner be able to justify a quote that is about 1.2lacs (already commands a slight premium add to that the dip other models would face because of this discounted price) higher than an equivalent top-end petrol Fiesta?

Yours sincerely,
An eager-to-be Fiesta 1.6 owner
IshaanIan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 08:29   #26
BHPian

Heres one reason I am not too keen on picking up Ford cars these days. They keep discounting, slashing prices periodically much to the chagrin of the existing owners.
Old 14th January 2014, 09:20   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivn View Post
Heres one reason I am not too keen on picking up Ford cars these days. They keep discounting, slashing prices periodically much to the chagrin of the existing owners.
Not exactly. They’re doing just the opposite as well. With the Ecosport, they keep increasing the prices periodically and add-on to the agony of waitlisted customers.
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 09:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

I agree with you that the resale price of everything Fiesta 1.6 will take a hit. The problem is exactly what you said in justifying the difference to a normal buyer.

But the kind of difference the 1.6S package makes over the conventional Fiesta 1.6 is a lot, something that could only be experienced. You can safely be an eager-to-be Fiesta 1.6S owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
How would you or any other 1.6S owner be able to justify a quote that is about 1.2lacs (already commands a slight premium add to that the dip other models would face because of this discounted price) higher than an equivalent top-end petrol Fiesta?

Yours sincerely,
An eager-to-be Fiesta 1.6 owner
anachronix is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 10:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

Build of the Classic, vis-a-vis the Fiesta 1.6P/1.4D has definitely gone down. The older Fiesta's felt/feels more solid right from the way the door shuts to the way it tackles road imperfections.

About Ford Customer Care, they're currently clueless. This decision from Ford Marketing has reached only select dealers. Over the next one week, all dealers will know about the re-positioning.

Metro Ford, Bangalore has prices and I'm attaching the latest price list.

2015 Figo-based compact sedan not happening until 2015 end at least. Until then, Classic will lead the Ford charge. Therefore, the move to cut prices is to garner sales rather than clear stock.

Cheers,

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Ford India cuts Classic price by up to 1 Lakh-ford-india-metro-revised-price-list.jpg  

JayPrashanth is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 11:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm ... There are 2 things in this. I guess company want to clear its large pile of inventory and secondly i guess they want to remove this model from their lineup in near future. Looks like they will sell these cars at loss for sure. Else giving 1 lac discount is next to impossible. Anyways, customers are at benefit here

Someone wanting this Fiesta has great opportunity for sure. It makes it really VFM car. May be cab owners can take more benefit?
Closed Thread