Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 15th January 2014, 10:06   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Ford India cuts Classic price by up to 1 Lakh

It makes the already well sorted driver's car even more tempting.

If the Petrol is priced at 4.99 Ex S/R, it makes it a better buy than any B+ segment hatchback.

It is plainly the best entry level driver's car made even more affordable.
Old 15th January 2014, 10:43   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Today's Ford ad in TOI Blr Times.
I am not totally sure about this one lac reduction at all. If someone can please check again?
This same ad is here in today's Mumbai DNA as well.

Hope ET has not published this price cut story based on some speculations.
Old 15th January 2014, 11:13   #48
Lij
BHPian

The ACI has also published an article mentioning the price cut. Below is the link. It mentions the price cut could be later this month.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ed-369571.aspx
Lij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 11:21   #49
BHPian

Those who love ford's driving pleasure , control , tough build will never choose cars like Amaze / Dzire / Etios. Yes Fiesta classic is an old model ,but still it is the best of the lot in it's class. I am sure there are many people like myself who prefer the above mentioned qualities to "skip deep features" like climate control or touch screen music systems. So it's good move for those who wish to buy this beauty.

Regards
Amol
amolathalye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 13:41   #50
Senior - BHPian

I was excited initially, for I was under impression that the price reduction was applicable for all variants (Diesel included)....

I feel reducing the price of base petrol will be as bad move as the EcoSport waiting periods, which are Ford's creation. For it is the diesel mill, which sells more till date (even if the diesel-petrol prices are catching up off late), & it only the Fiesta Classic which has a gap of Rs.2 lacs between the car's & all other manufacturers' cars' diesel-petrol variants not more than a lac away in pricing. This makes the Fiesta Classic diesel undesirable for aam junta. If they could sensibly price the Diesel varuants of the car, this will surely sell more, but guess pricing not handling has been Ford's Achilles Heel ever since their foray in India.
Old 15th January 2014, 13:48   #51
BHPian

I opted for the i20 almost a year a half back because it gave me good features and good space. The other consideration I had was the classic but then the base was around 7.2 lacs OTR which was way out of my budget. In the current pricing I would probably prefer the classic over the i20 because its a sedan (the typical Indian me - lambi gaadi ), has much more power than the i20, excellent driving mannerisms and kinda cheaper too.
Its been in the market for really long now and Ford would have made enough profits from it already. So cutting the price wont hurt them anyway. When I read it on zigwheels the report said they have reduced cost by optimising efficiencies. I hope this does not translate as cost cutting. Also why couldnt they think of this optimization earlier?
centaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 14:41   #52
BHPian

I think this move was not only made for the sales, but to cash in on their poor supply of Ecosport. I remember a notice from ford asking people to look into other cars as they could not meet the demand of Ecosport. Ecosport demand and left over inventory of Fiesta, the move may actually let people consider fiesta by avoiding long waiting periods
Old 15th January 2014, 16:19   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Any idea how much the on-road price would be before and after the price cut in bangalore?

The car is definitely a superb alternative to most entry level sedans and hatchbacks at the same price point. Just that the car must become a little popular. If the top end petrol and diesel will cost lesser than the equivalent Dzire, Amaze etc, damn the newer products, I will buy the classic anyday.
Old 16th January 2014, 11:57   #54

Arrow Ford Fiesta Classic Cheaper by 1L??!! Should I go for it?

On Monday, I was browsing through TeamBHP reviews about the Fiesta Classic and also streamed through the official website for the sedan. Fast-forward today and BAM!! comes the News that this sedan will be discounted by nearly 1L, obviously across various trims. I want to buy the 1.6 Duratec Petrol CLXI. Its new price is yet to be update on the website but a few phone calls suggest that it would now sell at around 5.5L.

I have a few queries, some might sound lame but these are the doubts in my anxious mind: I was trying to decided between the Punto Petrol and Fiesta Classic: yes, I know one is a hatch and the other a proper sedan. But I like the slightly subdued styling on both, more on the Punto. For some reason, I find the Polo slightly banal. The price difference between the two (Punto and CLXI Fiesta) really isn't much. So, here are my questions:
  • Which is a better bet in terms of durable and good-to-feel interiors? I hate the feel of these new plastics found among all contemporary models.
  • Which offers more driving pleasure? I don't drive too much and the car is seldom occupied by more than 3 folks. So, the driving aspect is imp. for me.
  • With the huge discount in the offing, does it mean that Ford would have stripped the Fiesta Classics of some goodies? There is little news on this. I keep having this feeling that cars that undergo huge discounts are essentially like a burden companies have to unload. Does that translate into being stuck with a poor cousin of the original?

Please excuse my naive-ness since I am no auto expert by any standards!!

Your viewpoint, even if cynical, would be a big help.

--Anubhav.
Old 16th January 2014, 12:05   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The petrol City.
How about the new one? The engine was already known to be a powerful unit, it was only the dynamics that were totally off.
Old 16th January 2014, 12:15   #56
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ford Fiesta Classic Cheaper by 1L??!! Should I go for it?

I'd say the Fiesta Classic will win the round on durability and good to feel interiors. Durability is not a problem on Fiats but the interiors are a let down.

If your idea of driving pleasure does not revolve around power alone, I'd say the Fiat will be a more satisfying drive. The Ford has a massive power advantage that even the 1.4l Punto does not satisfy. The Punto 1.4l engine needs to be worked to perform, not something you need to do on the Ford.

I doubt if Ford would have stripped the Classic of equipment in this price cut.

I am not sure if the one lac price cut applies across all variants. If it does, you should make the most of it and get the top spec Fiesta Classic Duratec.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 12:30   #57
BHPian

We opted for Fiesta Classic in January 2012 when the 1.4 D CLXI was quoted for Rs.7 Lakhs ex-showroom in Bangalore. The car may look like a dated package to many buyers now but IMHO it offers better interiors and build quality as compared to Etios and Amaze which are the favorites nowadays. However, I agree with GTO that this more or less looks like a stock clearance sale before stopping it's production.
Old 16th January 2014, 13:24   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubhavk1980 View Post
I have a few queries, some might sound lame but these are the doubts in my anxious mind: I was trying to decided between the Punto Petrol and Fiesta Classic: yes, I know one is a hatch and the other a proper sedan. But I like the slightly subdued styling on both, more on the Punto. For some reason, I find the Polo slightly banal. The price difference between the two (Punto and CLXI Fiesta) really isn't much. So, here are my questions:
  • Which is a better bet in terms of durable and good-to-feel interiors? I hate the feel of these new plastics found among all contemporary models.
  • Which offers more driving pleasure? I don't drive too much and the car is seldom occupied by more than 3 folks. So, the driving aspect is imp. for me.
  • With the huge discount in the offing, does it mean that Ford would have stripped the Fiesta Classics of some goodies? There is little news on this. I keep having this feeling that cars that undergo huge discounts are essentially like a burden companies have to unload. Does that translate into being stuck with a poor cousin of the original?

Please excuse my naive-ness since I am no auto expert by any standards!!

Your viewpoint, even if cynical, would be a big help.

--Anubhav.
Finally someone else that thinks modern VW cars lack any character in terms of design

Anyway, more to the point:
The Fiesta is more durable, interiors aren't a strong point on both cars. The Fiesta handles better than the Punto especially after Fiat raised the height of their cars so much. The Fiesta's motor is an absolute gem, one of the best na motors out there and perfectly matched to the car and the Punto's petrol heart is really not worth a second look. The Fiesta offers far more value for money right now.

So to summarize:
Looks- Punto though Fiesta isn't bad at all
Build- Fiesta edges a win here
Interiors- Both of them fail to impress but will definitely last
Handling- Fiesta though Punto is still very very good
Performance- Fiesta. Punto doesn't even deserve a mention here
VFM- Fiesta
Old 16th January 2014, 16:42   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Though the price cut is good, I am NOT very happy with this for one and primary reason - ABS is available ONLY on the top end trim!! If ONLY Ford had offered it on the base version too, atleast as an option! After owning an ABS car, I just can NOT convince myself to buy a car without ABS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubhavk1980 View Post
...I have a few queries, some might sound lame but these are the doubts in my anxious mind: I was trying to decided between the Punto Petrol and Fiesta Classic: yes, I know one is a hatch and the other a proper sedan...
Since you mentioned "petrol", Classic easily wins it I believe! The advantages are a boot + a 100 bhp engine.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 16th January 2014 at 16:45.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 17:41   #60
Lij
BHPian

Ok, with all the talk about price cut, today I went for a test drive of the top end 1.6l petrol. I am yet to get a price quote

Scores good in all the points. For my family with people of average height, rear seat also was comfortable, coming from the Swift .

Only couple of gripes, the doors doesn't close with that thud, seems more like my Swift's door closing. The boot space is good, but the interior of the boot door doesn't have any covering. Also not very convinced about the sheet metal used, don't think quality is as good as the original Fiesta.

The guy who got the test drive car also mentioned that now the top end (Titanium) doesn't anymore come with beige interiors, its all black. I don't mind that, but will have to check it out personally!!
Closed Thread