Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 20th July 2015, 21:59   #166
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Next-gen Ford Figo unveiled! Details on page 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
Well, I believe the 1.0 L Ecoboost engine has not been mated with the DCT anywhere in the world even though the same engine is mounted in the Fiesta, Focus and even the Mondeo apart from the Ecosport.
That changed last year when Ford launched the Fiesta in Thailand with 1.0 Ecoboost and 6 speed Powershift.

Here's a review:

http://paultan.org/2013/12/10/fiesta-ecoboost/

http://paultan.org/2014/09/19/driven...1-0l-ecoboost/
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 22:01   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Attachment 1393857

The label on the front seat fabric looks like airbag label. So, Titanium+ with 6 airbags is pretty much confirmed in the hatchback as well?

Source
If that is true then!

Now please let us have the FIRST AT with 6-airbags and all the other safety kit.
RavSam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 22:04   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
Well, I believe the 1.0 L Ecoboost engine has not been mated with the DCT anywhere in the world even though the same engine is mounted in the Fiesta, Focus and even the Mondeo apart from the Ecosport.
The Ecoboost has been mated to the automatic gearbox for the Fiesta,both in Sedan and Hatchback versions abroad. It's only because of cost escalation that it's not being done here. But Ford should have at least tried seeing the response to Polo and Vento TSI.
The Rationalist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 22:14   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1393857

The label on the front seat fabric looks like airbag label. So, Titanium+ with 6 airbags is pretty much confirmed in the hatchback as well?

Source
Would never have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out, but it does indeed look like airbag label although the letters cannot be seen clearly. It is in the exact same position as the airbag label on the Aspire seen in this post (Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire). Amazing observation skills theredliner
Old 20th July 2015, 22:45   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1393857The label on the front seat fabric looks like airbag label. So, Titanium+ with 6 airbags is pretty much confirmed in the hatchback as well?
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. If the hatchback is indeed launching with black interiors, then I'm sold. I only hope that the variants are similar to the Figo Aspire.

I'm another of those wishing Ford launch the DCT in the new Figo. I'd love a reliable dual-clutch in a hatch. While I'd love to have it mated to the EcoBoost engine, I'm fine if it comes with the 1.5 TiVCT also.

The shame is, if they do launch the DCT in the Figo, then, like the Aspire, it will not come with 6 airbags.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 23:05   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
If that is true then!

Now please let us have the FIRST AT with 6-airbags and all the other safety kit.
Unfortunately, in all probability, they'd launch the AT (if at all) in Titanium variant and not Titanium+ like what they did in Ecosport. So only 2 airbags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Would never have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out, but it does indeed look like airbag label although the letters cannot be seen clearly....
Amazing observation skills theredliner
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. If the hatchback is indeed launching with black interiors, then I'm sold. I only hope that the variants are similar to the Figo Aspire....
The shame is, if they do launch the DCT in the Figo, then, like the Aspire, it will not come with 6 airbags.
Yes. I too love all black interiors.
Some sites are mentioning that the engines will be detuned in the hatch, unfortunately. Hope the 1.5 TDCi is retained as is.
Anyway, yes, the 1.5 with DCT will be good. The 100BHP 1.6 was a great engine. If they tune it better this time than in 2011 Fiesta (haven't driven, basing only on reviews), I guess it'll still be a blast with good reliability and no turbolag(as with Ecoboost; again not driven)
BTW, is it confirmed that the Aspire AT will be Titanium and not Titanium+?
theredliner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 11:06   #172
Senior - BHPian

Why Ford is not launching this cute car first? Its much better than Aspire and can bring great numbers for them like earlier Figo did. It is much better than Aspire compact sedan. In orange and in yellow, it looks very cute. Surely this car can get good numbers if priced correctly like old Figo. God knows who plans for Ford India, i don't see any point in launching Aspire first ahead of this cute car. Traditionally India is a small car / hatchback country, so it makes whole lot of sense to launch this car first. Seems Ford India not that serious for India market, sad but true, accept it.
Old 21st July 2015, 11:53   #173
BHPian

If this hatch is coming with 6 balloons, I think that will be a segment first (was in old i20 which was later dropped in the elite i20).

I think, safety wise, Ford is shoring up to be a strong contender in the sub-10 lakh price bracket. Of course, to maintain competent costs, I have also read that they are 'de-grading' their USPs (excellent steering which was a kind of benchmark). To most of the general car-buying public, neither might be a deal breaker; it's another story for the enthusiasts (let's face it, it's a tough crowd to please ).

Let's see the market reaction to these two new ones from Ford stable.

Last edited by turboturtle : 21st July 2015 at 11:56.
turboturtle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 13:32   #174
BHPian

I am in the market for a Hatch and have shortlisted Hyundai Grand i10. However now seeing these pictures of the new Ford Figo, heart says to wait a bit more. Frankly, Grand i10 has a great interior but when it comes to the exterior i feel it lacks on the attitude front. Neither is it sporty, nor is it cute. New Figo ticks my boxes here giving a Muscular look from the front and a very balanced side line.

The car seems to come with Auto Climate Control and Six airbags which i would have missed in Gi10.

Also, the thought of this Figo with the 100 PS diesel engine is horse racing in my heart
Old 21st July 2015, 15:05   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Why Ford is not launching this cute car first?
Probably the same reason that Tata launched the Zest first - to give people the impression that the hatch is made from the Sedan, so as not to de-value the sedan. People "might" think that the sedan grew from the hatch, so it isn't a "true" sedan, right?

Seriously, that is a common perception if the hatch is seen before the sedan, unless the sedan looks significantly different from the hatch (like the Pulse/Scala, but they don't sell much anyway).
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 19:40   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ The CS is released first to grab more sales compared to its hatchback version. If both the products are launched together, a bunch might opt for the hatchback for the lesser price. As I commented once, the CS charges way too premium for some additional boot space / extra features.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 20:24   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
^^ The CS is released first to grab more sales compared to its hatchback version. If both the products are launched together, a bunch might opt for the hatchback for the lesser price. As I commented once, the CS charges way too premium for some additional boot space / extra features.
+1 to your views. Ford got the strategy right. If we see the market trend then the CS sedans sell more than there hatchback counter parts. Still most of the Indian customers feel that the extra boot adds more prestige value to there cars!

For example -

Amaze sells more than Brio.
Dzire sells slightly more than Swift.
Zest sells more than Bolt.
Only exception is the Hyundai Xcent and that's because of its lackluster diesel engine. Am sure Xcent with the 1.4 Crdi would have out numbered the sell of grand i10.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 14:07   #178
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wonderful, wonderful!!!

So it's Ford who are now taking the concept of safety forward in the mainstream (not the luxury 2 million rupee plus) hatchback space, just as they are doing in the sub-4m sedan space. Kudos!

Hyundai started the trend in hatchbacks by providing 6 airbags on the previous generation i20 Asta(O), but then stupidly discontinued that variant on the current generation i20.

In the latest shocking news, Nissan have also discontinued the dCi XV Premium variant, which came with 4 airbags (the most one could get on a mainstream hatchback in India at the moment). The variant has been taken off their website and their price list, which means it has gone for good.

While Hyundai and Nissan are very stupidly not offering more than 2 airbags on hatchbacks anymore, Ford are proving to be extremely smart in providing 6 airbags on the Titanium+ variants of the upcoming Figo hatchback.

I like the looks of the hatchback, especially in sporty colours like orange, yellow and blue. The black interiors are also quite good. They have smartly used dark grey & light grey bits along with silver accents to avoid giving the interiors a dark and gloomy look. That well-fed rear bumper is also a very welcome thing, especially after the anorexic rear bumper of the Aspire.

I hope the base variant also gets 2 airbags like on the Aspire. And I hope the engines are carried over to the hatchback in the same state of tune.

The Titanium+ getting six airbags is the icing on the cake. Fantastic, Ford!!
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 18:51   #179
BHPian

I beg to differ, if i may sir.
I would not call nissan or hyundai stupid. They did try to pack in more safety into their cars.
But with a lukewarm or cold market response, the logistics of procuring kits would not have worked out . As any business would do, they discontinued the non money making variants.
Ford would go the same way too..when it comes to balance sheets and profitaility.
Call it the stupidity of the indian mindset to always..without exception..predictably.. place the cost over quality.
igp_79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 11:23   #180
BHPian

Safety, improved interiors and better performance; I think almost all mainstream players (or should I say serious players in Indian market including MSIL) have taken note of the changing Indian demand and have worked around it.

The new offerings are quite good both from the perception point of view as well as value for money. The "made to cost" attitude has fallen apart.

Even things like introducing certain features (6 air bags, all disk brakes) etc. and then stripping them off by Hyundai can well be considered as transition and with further maturity in the market, these are bound to come back.

It seems that sub-10 lac segment is now giving enough opportunities to buyers to select cars without curtailing / compromising on features (at-least in petrol) and this trend is going to continue with safety getting more importance among buyers.

Cheers
Closed Thread