Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2014, 17:56   #211
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,440
Thanked: 3,142 Times
Default Re: Indian Nano, Alto, Figo, i10 & Polo FAIL Global NCAP Safety Test

While it is nice to see that the Indian Swift isn't a "tin box" as I'm certain all of you know a particular group of auto enthusiasts call it , it is still dismaying to see that it is not as structurally safe as its international cousin who scores higher than most in her segment (polo, punto, i20 etc.) Does anyone else right now miss those days when we had Astras, Escorts, Corsas, SS80, Matiz? I mean yes they are old cars and that is where they belong (in the 80-90s) BUT it was a far simpler time where the Indian customer was guaranteed of getting exactly what his in-laws in Europe would be buying.
IshaanIan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 19:17   #212
BHPian
 
blacksport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 522
Thanked: 462 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
While it is nice to see that the Indian Swift isn't a "tin box" as I'm certain all of you know a particular group of auto enthusiasts call it
I don't think so. When all the other suzukis become tin boxes when it reaches our shore, I don't think maruti would spare the scalpel only for swift. The swift is as much a tin box as any other maruti. If you dont believe me, strip open a door and compare it with a polo or a punto.
blacksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 21:39   #213
BHPian
 
H_Dogg72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 375
Thanked: 293 Times
Default

The marutis feel very light and flimsy.
As stated above, just try to compare the door of a swift with a polo.
The swift door bends with minimal force from my hand, the polo's doesn't.
Now I know that you might say it's absorbing the impact but, it's structural integrity is still weaker.
It'll still be a "tin box" for me.
H_Dogg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2014, 01:54   #214
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,440
Thanked: 3,142 Times
Default Re: Indian Nano, Alto, Figo, i10 & Polo FAIL Global NCAP Safety Test

In my limited experience as an auto enthusiast, I have noticed that thickness of metal/ build quality, does not seem to directly impact crash safety. My Kizashi's fenders bend a little easier than a Volkswagen Jetta would and while it is built well coming from the Sagara Plant and holding its own even against the likes of Accord, Camry, Superb, it still doesnt feel as well built as a Merc, Yet it is apparently safer if the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety is to be believed. So yes the Swift does use thinner metal, but it has apparently done better than expected (I did read not as well as the Polo) But considering it used a gauge similar to an i10 (supposedly international car b eing exported from India) and has still fared better, leads me to believe that there is a LOT more to safety than is commonly thought of.

I did state that I was disappointed that it was not up to its international standards and I guess I knew that would be the case.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 16th March 2014 at 01:55.
IshaanIan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2014, 02:40   #215
BHPian
 
namit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 392
Thanked: 49 Times
Default Re: Indian Nano, Alto, Figo, i10 & Polo FAIL Global NCAP Safety Test

The next step Siddharth should take is to demonstrate us Indians which is the safest of the lot and disappointingly he has not got it tested as yet.
Its the FIAT PUNTO and i am sure even without the airbags its structural integrity will remain intact and it shall fair better than the German and the American rival too.
namit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2014, 09:27   #216
BHPian
 
blacksport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 522
Thanked: 462 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
In my limited experience as an auto enthusiast, I have noticed that thickness of metal/ build quality, does not seem to directly impact crash safety. My Kizashi's fenders bend a little easier than a Volkswagen Jetta would and while it is built well coming from the Sagara Plant and holding its own even against the likes of Accord, Camry, Superb, it still doesnt feel as well built as a Merc, Yet it is apparently safer if the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety is to be believed. So yes the Swift does use thinner metal, but it has apparently done better than expected (I did read not as well as the Polo) But considering it used a gauge similar to an i10 (supposedly international car b eing exported from India) and has still fared better, leads me to believe that there is a LOT more to safety than is commonly thought of.

I did state that I was disappointed that it was not up to its international standards and I guess I knew that would be the case.
It is not fair to bring kizashi to the comparison. That's because kizashis sold here are not built in India. The rest of the marutis are all de-engineered to suit the Indian market. Sure Swift might be safer than other marutis but I would look towards a polo or a punto or even an i20 if I wanted a safe car, but not a Swift.
blacksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2014, 09:59   #217
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,440
Thanked: 3,142 Times
Default Re: Indian Nano, Alto, Figo, i10 & Polo FAIL Global NCAP Safety Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
It is not fair to bring kizashi to the comparison. That's because kizashis sold here are not built in India. The rest of the marutis are all de-engineered to suit the Indian market. Sure Swift might be safer than other marutis but I would look towards a polo or a punto or even an i20 if I wanted a safe car, but not a Swift.
You seem to be missing the point I am making. Yes the Polo, Punto and even Micra ought to be safer. Not arguing with that. Still have my doubts about the i20 though. I am not praising the Swift in this aspect at all; merely taking it as an example: Its metal body is just about as flimsy/thin as the i10 (which is something we export too) yet it has scored far better in terms of structural safety. This really isn't any Swift vs i10 or brand vs brand thing I'm bringing up. Merely my curiosity So if that is the case, then there ought to be more factors to structural safety than just the build quality and gauge of metal used. No? What could those be?
IshaanIan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2014, 11:07   #218
Distinguished - BHPian
 
volkman10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 10,069
Thanked: 15,607 Times
Default

Here it is not about band loyalty, in which the discussion is tending to go, but seeing where our cars stand in the Global NCAP safety rating.
But here we should appreciate Maruti in having a common build in India and Latin market for which this test is being done.

Last edited by volkman10 : 16th March 2014 at 11:32.
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2014, 12:24   #219
Senior - BHPian
 
shashank.nk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,520
Thanked: 732 Times
Default Re: Indian Nano, Alto, Figo, i10 & Polo FAIL Global NCAP Safety Test

I don't think we should be debating how Swift is unsafe compared to competition,despite the ncap ratings. Whether its a Polo or a Swift,both fare very badly when crash tested without airbags, so whether its a VW or a "tin can" maruti they're both unsafe without safety aids.

What is encouraging however is VW making airbags standard across the Polo range and Swift not scoring as bad as the skeptics would have loved it to. I do think it is a step in the right direction for Maruti, from making death boxes on wheels to relatively safer cars almost upto european standards.

PS: The Swift gets EBD, Brake Assist (BA) and seatbelts with pretensioners and loadlimiters in the 'Z' trims. None of which are available in a Indian Polo! Source: Respective car brochures.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 16th March 2014 at 12:28.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2014, 12:35   #220
BHPian
 
shk 8896's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CLT/CBE/TVM
Posts: 381
Thanked: 172 Times
Default Re: Indian Nano, Alto, Figo, i10 & Polo FAIL Global NCAP Safety Test

I have a doubt
Why was Swift ZXi chosen for the global NCAP crash safety test? While most of the other cars tested were lower variants chosen without any safety features (Polo Comfortline , Figo ZXI , I10 Magna IIRC), the Swift chosen is fully loaded with safety features.
shk 8896 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2014, 13:11   #221
Distinguished - BHPian
 
volkman10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 10,069
Thanked: 15,607 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk 8896 View Post
I have a doubt
Why was Swift ZXi chosen for the global NCAP crash safety test? While most of the other cars tested were lower variants chosen without any safety features (Polo Comfortline , Figo ZXI , I10 Magna IIRC), the Swift chosen is fully loaded with safety features.
I am repeating again. Since this test is done for the NCAP rating of Latin American market which is the standard configuration there the ZXI was chosen. And also to be noted it is an Indian build Swift which was tested.

Last edited by volkman10 : 16th March 2014 at 13:28.
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 11:19   #222
Senior - BHPian
 
CARDEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,699
Thanked: 1,485 Times
Default Re: Indian Nano, Alto, Figo, i10 & Polo FAIL Global NCAP Safety Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk 8896 View Post
I have a doubt
Why was Swift ZXi chosen for the global NCAP crash safety test? While most of the other cars tested were lower variants chosen without any safety features (Polo Comfortline , Figo ZXI , I10 Magna IIRC), the Swift chosen is fully loaded with safety features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
I am repeating again. Since this test is done for the NCAP rating of Latin American market which is the standard configuration there the ZXI was chosen. And also to be noted it is an Indian build Swift which was tested.
with @volkman10, the choice of variant lies in the purpose of the test, which in case of Swift is to determine the maximum possible safety ratings the car can achieve.

The original test of the Nano, Alto, Figo, i10 & Polo, was conducted to highlight the lack of safety standards in our country so as to put bit pressure on the government to introduce basic safety standards as a norm for all cars, which are almost NIL at the moment.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 11:36   #223
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,272
Thanked: 1,236 Times
Default Re: Indian Nano, Alto, Figo, i10 & Polo FAIL Global NCAP Safety Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk 8896 View Post
I have a doubt
Why was Swift ZXi chosen for the global NCAP crash safety test? While most of the other cars tested were lower variants chosen without any safety features (Polo Comfortline , Figo ZXI , I10 Magna IIRC), the Swift chosen is fully loaded with safety features.
Good question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
I am repeating again. Since this test is done for the NCAP rating of Latin American market which is the standard configuration there the ZXI was chosen.
Makes sense, but they ought to have separated Latin American tests from tests relevant for India. Otherwise it is not a level playing ground.

Last edited by vnabhi : 17th March 2014 at 11:40.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 16:55   #224
Distinguished - BHPian
 
volkman10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 10,069
Thanked: 15,607 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Makes sense, but they ought to have separated Latin American tests from tests relevant for India. Otherwise it is not a level playing ground.
Swift in the configuration without airbags will anyhow get Zero NCAP safety rating, here we will get to know of the structural rigidity of the car and the ZXI will get the same as the tested car.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 08:33   #225
Distinguished - BHPian
 
volkman10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 10,069
Thanked: 15,607 Times
Default Re: Indian Nano, Alto, Figo, i10 & Polo FAIL Global NCAP Safety Test

The 2014 India built Swift on test,

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/cnb...h-swift/313548


Cheers,

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th March 2014 at 08:35.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Record-breaking safety rating for Volvo V40 in the Euro NCAP. EDIT: Now the XC60 too volkman10 The International Automotive Scene 12 9th November 2017 11:51
Maruti Swift, Datsun Go fail Global NCAP tests too... rajess_in The Indian Car Scene 644 10th June 2017 10:52
ASEAN NCAP Test Results - 5* for Prius & Vento, 4* for Swift, Sunny, Ciaz, Ertiga & Amaze RSR The Indian Car Scene 38 8th December 2016 14:05
Maruti Alto K10: ZERO Star Safety Rating in the Latin NCAP GTO The Indian Car Scene 159 15th April 2016 10:40


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks