Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 8th February 2014, 10:47   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota @ Auto Expo 2014

Man, talk about a bland show up by Toyota. Other than the new corolla which only looks better on the outside, everything else is what you see in any toyota showroom on a given day. The liva cross is just a lame mod job but might help few more incremental sales numbers.
supertinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2014, 16:03   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
The Toyota Corolla Altis is a massive dissapointment! Being an existing Altis owner, I was actually looking forwards to this one, always loved that car for its sheer understated-ness, and the level of comfort it offered (albiet being very boring and not particularly a brilliant performer). I genuinely believe this to be one of the most comfortable cars my family has ever owned. The seats are brilliant and the ride is nice and soft (read: very comfortable) but not hyundai-ishly floaty at expressway speeds.
Regards
Absolutely agree with everything you said. Was looking forward to an upgrade (petrol) to my 2006 Corolla H2(also petrol) . However this one looks like a downgrade particularly on the inside.

1. The steering is ugly looking and the steering mounted controls don't look good. The 4 spoke steering (some earlier models) was nicer, so was the understated and elegant dash. The overall feel of the dash and the stitched leather knobs from earlier were better looking.
2. Multiple wiper speeds are more important than rain sensing(which is good to have). Have always found wiper speeds an issue in light drizzle where you constantly switch on and off (enough and more of that in Bangalore)
3. Does it have built in rear parking sensor and camera (love the ones they offer on some of the Hyundai models)? Is a must have on the next upgrade.
4. Lack of rear AC is a let-down.
5. Does it have a boot opener on the remote?

They've probably got it right on the outside but definitely not on the inside.
No complaints with the engine or other factors. Service and support have been as good as ever so disappointed to note this model doesn't meet requirements.

subbarp.
subbarp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2014, 16:50   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This massive van you see here is the popular Toyota Hiace. Toyota is looking at bringing this van by 2015 as a CBU.
Isn't this the Commuter seen in other Asian countries?
If yes the I have to say the interior is blank. I had traveled in quite few of them and everyone had a loaded interiors ( I may also be wrong if all were aftermarket upgrades) that was so luxurious.

Will importing these as CBU can make sense on pricing? I doubt.
If priced properly, more takers will be there for Office (Staff) transportation, School, hotel and can even lure Innova buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Why would they not want to sell the Toyota Hilux in India? Is it that they feel Indians do not deserve a pick-up?
Corolla looks better from the exterior but felt that the interiors are a bit of let of down. AC missing for the second row when they know especially that these cars are chauffeur driven might be a costly miss.
As far as I know the reason why no manufacturers (keeping home mad Tata and Mahindra aside) are willing to sell Pickups in India is because our Government mandates that a pick can only be sold as commercial vehicle (Yellow board) and they can't be used for own use (White board) .
Hence this will not make a profitable business case for bringing in Toyota Hilux, ISUZU Dmax, Ford Ranger, Chevrolet Colorado which are sold in huge numbers else where in Asia. Else these can be easily imported as CBU / CKD from countries like Thailand where we have free trade agreement into India.

Cheers!

Last edited by treadmark : 8th February 2014 at 17:05. Reason: Added a reply to ku69rd's post
treadmark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2014, 17:13   #34
Team-BHP Support

The new Corolla looks good from the exterior, but i am not sure if it is the unflattering pic, but that interior looks horribly designed!

The Hiace coming in as a CBU clearly means it is targeting only the luxury hotels and resorts. This vehicle is clearly capable of attracting a larger market share if not exorbitantly priced.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 07:46   #35
BHPian

I was so excited seeing the exteriors; contemplating a D segment sedan and thought this in one toyota I would want to own. However, the interior is a total let down for me and so are the engine options, particularly the diesel.

I am just curious who does all the thinking at Toyota? Reliability and efficiency is all fine but a puny 90ps diesel in a near 20 lakh rupee car!!
octane_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 08:13   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

The interiors of the current generation Altis are so much in tune with the rest of the car. Simple yet elegant and very user friendly. The current generation cars by both Honda and Toyota have started appearing more and more like cheap chinese renderations. Going hi tech with touch screens etc sounds good but they need to keep the basic design in line with the soul of the car. Also I didn't really like the huge treatment of Chrome at the front. Too flashy for my comfort atleast.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 08:28   #37
Senior - BHPian

The first generation Altis was definetly a level up from its past, wood-finish panels, right amount of beige and grey and a balanced dashboard. For a car in this bracket its very important to have such a dashboard with a.c vents in the right position and not this chaotic all over the place arrangement. The carbon-fiberisque finishing in the centre is too glittery and adds to the already busy layout, the HUD (is it projector type or just light indicators?)should've been better integrated (hidden). The lack of rear a.c vents (which can be adjusted or shut off by passengers) is inexcusable for a car of this price. Safe to say Honda and Toyota both have failed in their recent offerings (of City and new gen Altis) specially due to cost cutting. The touch-screens in both cars look out of place and not integrated.

The front of the Altis now reminds me of an Etios (with longer headlamps) and thats not good either. Since Etios, Toyota have truely lost their way in India. They learnt so much of TQM that the design team who basically are the only link to consumer appeal, seem to have become uninspired & fled.
dark.knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 09:24   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The new Corolla looks good from the exterior, but i am not sure if it is the unflattering pic, but that interior looks horribly designed!
Exactly...I'm not sure why they just couldn't take interior design from the Corolla launched in US

BTW, Toyota has updated their site and now it shows the new corolla with some pictures..very limited on interior side though.

http://www.toyotabharat.com/cars/new...tis/index.aspx

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thanks

Last edited by moralfibre : 9th February 2014 at 09:52.
neel911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 11:53   #39
Senior - BHPian

Was expecting them to display RUSH, could have been a good fight with Ecosport.
Estima could also have been displayed to gauge reaction.

Last edited by silverado : 9th February 2014 at 11:58.
silverado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 11:59   #40

Why doesn't Toyota bring in RAV4 instead of nonsense ideas like etios cross
balajisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 15:21   #41
BHPian

If this is the new Corolla, I am disappointed , more so as an Innova customer.
The exterior looks decent ,could have been made more aggressive and avoided the Etios look. The interior is a big let down.

I had a 2007 Corolla H2 - That looked much better inside.

The current generation Altis, especially the Petrol version looks very elegant on the front. Interiors are also richly appointed with additional equipment.

But this version is not exciting. As others rightly observed, shiny touch screens and oddly placed vents look cheap and not characteristic of Corolla.

Hope they will remove the disparities in equipment between Petrol and Diesel variants (absence of power seat adjustment, remote boot lid) etc.
baskar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 17:08   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The sporty theme of the dash comes from the GT86. Take a look at the GT86 dash:

Attachment 1204838

A luxury car with sporty dash obviously does not gel well. I must say the designed looks bad in the photos but quality was top notch typical of Toyota. Dash and door pads had soft touch plastics et al.
Nice catch vid! I'm sure, Toyota fit and finish never dissapoints (save Etios twins, which I've heard recently has been good enough too.), So they got the Air-vents from the GT-86. Say lets just gloss over what a difference in character both cars have. IMO

GT-86, the holy-trinity for an enthusiasts car Engine in the front, manual box in the middle and drive goes to the back. Not to forget to mention Limited slip diff and that brilliant 2 litre boxer engine. Extremely over-steery and a fine example that not everything thats an enthusiasts delight needs to be ruinously expensive and always a supercar.

Toyota Corolla Altis (and its relevance in the Indian market) - Soft and extremely comfortable car with elegant interiors, loads of wood, leather and beige. The obvious choice for the Saheb who looked for something which he could occasionaly drive himself, comfortable back-seat and ride, excellent refinement, bullet-proof reliability, and not something too large/expensive from the segment above.

Now throwing in design cues from the former in the latter? I mean really Toyota? Your target market will be hardly the ones who will be wanting Carbon-fibre inserts in the interior neither would they be a huge fan of those agressive lines inside out.

Regards,
n:CorE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 17:18   #43
Senior - BHPian

For me, presently driving the 2003-08 Corolla, this Altis is the default upgrade.
It may be extremely boring to most, but yes it is boring. No excitements, no more being stranded on the road, no more dealer rip-offs, no repair bill shocks. Just totally predictable and no-nonsense car. Have reached that stage of my life (47+) where all the exciting stuff needs to be inside the home and not on 4 wheels.

The present Corolla has been simply outstanding for me. Still noiseless and still working perfectly after 7 years and 80K.

Wish I could upgrade to a larger size, but where I live (in an apartment complex), there is no space left now for bigger cars.

Do expect the top end version to touch 20 lakhs OTR.

Last edited by vasudeva : 10th February 2014 at 17:19.
vasudeva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 19:53   #44
Team-BHP Support

I really don't get the idea of a brand new car with the same old engine. The 1.4D producing 88 ps is thoroughly underpowered compared to even cars competing in a lower segment. Otherwise the new Altis is quite decent looking.

Etios cross looks better than the hatch/sedan versions but at the end of the day it's the same old wine in a new bottle, so don't have any major expectations from the "built to cost" Toyota.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 22:03   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
Now throwing in design cues from the former in the latter? I mean really Toyota? Your target market will be hardly the ones who will be wanting Carbon-fibre inserts in the interior neither would they be a huge fan of those agressive lines inside out.

Regards,
This is where it gets interesting. I asked the guys at Toyota about this and their reasoning for the interiors being like this is that they want to target a younger age group.

Earlier, if a guy in his mid 30's wanted a D segment sedan, the choice was Civic. If it was for his dad the default choice was Altis. Toyota wants this to change hence the sporty theme to the interiors.

Unfortunately, for Toyota, sportiness means boring and simple.

The dash is boring and very old school straight design but there is no doubting the quality. Top of dash was soft touch, door pads were soft touch and there was no cost cutting involved over my Altis in terms of quality or fit and finish.

The carbon fibre stands out cause of the use of flash else it's not that bad.

As an existing Altis owner you feel it is a downgrade also because of the colour there. The old Altis did not have a single element in the cabin of black colour. This one has a black dash, black door pads and full black carpeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I really don't get the idea of a brand new car with the same old engine. The 1.4D producing 88 ps is thoroughly underpowered compared to even cars competing in a lower segment. Otherwise the new Altis is quite decent looking.
Actually I never even paid attention to the diesel. For me Altis is petrol. The refinement and fantastic low down torque from the petrol just overshadows the mediocre diesel.

Toyota do have a 2.0L engine in Europe in the Avensis and Verso so it's not like they don't have bigger engines out there.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote