Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 10th February 2014, 22:43   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota @ Auto Expo 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This is where it gets interesting. I asked the guys at Toyota about this and their reasoning for the interiors being like this is that they want to target a younger age group.

Earlier, if a guy in his mid 30's wanted a D segment sedan, the choice was Civic. If it was for his dad the default choice was Altis. Toyota wants this to change hence the sporty theme to the interiors.

Unfortunately, for Toyota, sportiness means boring and simple.

The dash is boring and very old school straight design but there is no doubting the quality. Top of dash was soft touch, door pads were soft touch and there was no cost cutting involved over my Altis in terms of quality or fit and finish.

The carbon fibre stands out cause of the use of flash else it's not that bad.

As an existing Altis owner you feel it is a downgrade also because of the colour there. The old Altis did not have a single element in the cabin of black colour. This one has a black dash, black door pads and full black carpeting.

Actually I never even paid attention to the diesel. For me Altis is petrol. The refinement and fantastic low down torque from the petrol just overshadows the mediocre diesel.

Toyota do have a 2.0L engine in Europe in the Avensis and Verso so it's not like they don't have bigger engines out there.
Maybe you are right, the flash might just be the reason why the Carbon fibre bit is looking so gaudy. But anyway, is it real carbon fibre or is it just a plastic bit made to look like that? And yes, I've owned the first Toyota corolla followed by the Altis and this is such a change in character/rather an attempt that it just isn't going down well with me, at least now it doesn't.

My family has owned a lot of the D-segment cars including the Laura, Civic, 1st-gen Corolla, Corolla Altis and Cruze, and I completely agree when you say Altis means petrol. The torque low-down is fabulous and that throttle response is second to none I have experienced in this segment. Till date it manages to make me unsettle my passengers when I drive the Altis after a few days driving the Cruze. Get used to using the throttle pedal on that diesel automatic and then change to the Altis, it's like a hyperspace button which just zooms ahead with a slight jab. All it needs is a touch.

And yes, the serene ride experience in the Altis is obviously enhanced when it's that smooth petrol engine and now with the 7-speed Auto. Mine was one of the first cars to roll out of the Worli dealership in Mumbai in 2007 so I have the spartan 4-Speed A/T which is competent, and that is being generous with words. Rubber-band effect is profound and the tip-tronic mode is useless. I enjoy my enthusiasm in the Cruze (Civic before) and the GT TDI now. More so it's my sisters daily drive and she is a very calm driver to say the least.

Regards,
n:CorE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 00:09   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
But anyway, is it real carbon fibre or is it just a plastic bit made to look like that? And yes, I've owned the first Toyota corolla followed by the Altis and this is such a change in character/rather an attempt that it just isn't going down well with me, at least now it doesn't.
It's not real carbon fibre at all.

The interiors are also keeping me in 2 minds. My Altis is 5 years old and I'm in need of one automatic in the house this year.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 00:22   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It's not real carbon fibre at all.

The interiors are also keeping me in 2 minds. My Altis is 5 years old and I'm in need of one automatic in the house this year.
Same boat as you my friend, my Altis turns 6 this year, run about ~46k was considering this one seriously as a replacement. But I can't get over that interior! Let's see if it grows on me and if my family likes it.
n:CorE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 00:42   #49
BHPian

Toyota could have used the Etios platform to build an all-new compact SUV, and wowed everyone. Instead, they chose to effectively tell Indian customers that they are a bunch of fools, and that just because of the brand name, people will buy their stupid "Cross"

Try taking that car on a halfway bad road for some time and then watch the fun (forget off-roading)- the suspension will be rattling away to glory. It's what stopped me from buying an Etios when I was looking for a new car. The TD vehicle had massive suspension noise. The Etios is a lovely car in terms of leg room in the rear, but that's where it ends. The cost cutting is so blatant, that one really feels bad to shell out close to 9 lacs for the VXD model. And the engine is pathetic as well. After I was spoilt by my Swift VDi, in terms of pick-up and brute power, it was a huge disappointment to me.

Toyota really need to clean up their act in India and start treating this market seriously. The only vehicle from their stable which is a good and reliable performer is the Innova, and even it is losing market share steadily to the Xylo and the Chevy Enjoy, primarily because the Innova is over-priced and under-featured, which appears to be a trait of all Toyota vehicles.
HighwayofLife is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 16:54   #50
BHPian

Based on the exterior, i was like wow that Corolla looks sharp and attractive and then those interiors ruined it all. They look pretty cheap and similar to, and more akin to the Brio/Amaze and that segment.
keshavarora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 21:27   #51
BHPian

We have been hearing about toyota rush coming to India land, how come it wasn't displayed at the exposition? Does this mean the rush is not gonna come this year atleast?
Honda Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 14:21   #52
BHPian

Booking are Open for the New Altis as per Toyota though no Display unit is available in Bangalore as on date. The Booking amount is Rs. 50,000.
Regards,
Manmohan
manmohanmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 13:53   #53
BHPian

Looks like Toyota is going with the age old saying "If it ain't broken, don't fix it". They are already doing good in India, so why to take aggressive stance now?
classact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 14:53   #54
Senior - BHPian

Toyota seems to have done some minor facelifts to the body, as usual. There doesn't seem to be much to joy about.
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 07:04   #55
BHPian

Take a look at this US Spec 2014 Altis. The exteriors are sooo much much better, understated and classy. Now compare this to the gawdy, shiny, screaming cheapo design that they have launched in India. Why Toyota, Why?
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota @ Auto Expo 2014-uscl14101c.jpg  

rednikhil is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2014, 18:15   #56
BHPian

I was doing a mental comparison with the Elantra; does this new Altis have ESP? It does not say so on the Toyota Bharat website. Actually the specs they have mentioned on the site are fairly limited in information content. They do not even speak of things like Cruise Control, Air Bags either. Lets hope Toyota at least put in all the safety kit including the ESP plus the convenience features to match the segment aspirations.
rednikhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2014, 19:34   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednikhil View Post
Take a look at this US Spec 2014 Altis. The exteriors are sooo much much better, understated and classy. Now compare this to the gawdy, shiny, screaming cheapo design that they have launched in India. Why Toyota, Why?
It's a matter of personal taste I suppose. Perhaps Toyota felt the model with the 'more' road presence would appeal to a larger audience at this price point.
I for one am glad they launched the version they did. It looks grand and visually matches the price tag, if that makes any sense, Yes.

I really do think in India size matters. To each his own ^ _ ^.

Last edited by Maky : 22nd February 2014 at 19:38.
Maky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 01:11   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednikhil View Post
Because in the USA, the nearest rival is the Civic, which is 1.8/2.0 ltr and comes in sedan and coupe and is better styled than corolla.

that's the reason why the corolla's styling is more aggressive and better than what we have in India.

As I mentioned before in other threads, in the Gulf, the corolla has been launched with 1.6 ltr and 2.0 ltr engines. 1.8 ltr is not available anymore in the gulf, though the looks are same as the indian corolla.
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 15:04   #59
BHPian

I have a feeling Toyota has lost the plot for India. There are no volume products which can challenge Honda's Brio / Amaze / City models, leave alone the Maruti / Hyundai stranglehold on small cars.

They probably need to take a leaf out of of Tata refresh handbook and do a Bolt / Zest on the Etios twins.

With no focus on the Etios, they'll be reduced to selling niche products
a. The Innova has become the golden goose, so they are in the process of killing it off by increasing prices to unreasonable levels
b. Corolla's brand equity will likely be ruined by the poor interiors, underpowered engine (diesel, which only cabbies will buy) and high price
c. Fortuner - Niche product at best considering the segment and price
d. Others like the Camry, Prius, LC are niche anyway

What exactly is Toyota thinking?!
prashanthyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 16:05   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Why do car makers have 2 different exterior designs for the same model selling in different countries?
Doesn't it rather add to the R&D cost of the car and won't it be cheaper to have the same exterior design throughout? The interior features and engine options can surely wary and be country specific.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote