Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 8th February 2014, 17:02   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: RIP Maruti 800

So finally Maruti does it. The car that revolutionized the Indian motoring scenario- Maruti Suzuki 800. There were believers & non-believers. The latter were more. But the success story went on to touch scaling heights. And as they say, ability can take one to the top, but one needs character to stay there. The 800 had both. It ruled the roost by snatching the glory from the Ambys and the Padminis who laughed at the 'tiny tin box'; who never thought that this new kid in the block would do such a damage to them.

The car taught Indians that what a 'trouble free' car is. What 'reliability' means and that new & better technology does not mean higher price. (The M800 was probably introduced at half the price of Padmini at that time).

Now finally, MSIL decides that it's curtains to the show. RIP M800 but we are sure that you will be seen merrymaking on the streets for long time to come.

Saket.
saket77 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2014, 17:22   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Thanks for sharing this pic.
I remember watching on TV few years back an interview with the gentleman in the picture where he was seen driving the car.
Does anyone know if the car is still in use?
He still uses that car. He got the delivery on December fourteenth, 1983. Thirty years the gentleman has maintained it in pristine condition.

Regards,
G P
g.prabhudesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2014, 18:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't the Maruti 800 still survive in its evolved Alto800 guise? It has the same 796 cc derived block.

It is just that the SB308, CA91 based generation of the car is being phased out, just as the original SS80 (my favourite) received a sendoff within a very short first 3 years. So whats going away?
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2014, 19:21   #19

I believe it is the name. As an SS80 owner, I'd say the design too. The actual M800s.. they evolved slowly in terms of design. They've launched the Alto800 as a completely new model, a replacement.

And I agree, the SS80 should've continued for longer.

Regards,
G P
g.prabhudesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 10:48   #20
BHPian

Personally, I am happy this has happenned. While it is agreeable that it was a reliable and mass market car, I would barely call it a revolutionary car. This was the most unsafe car ever built in my opinion. With so many people I knew who have died horrendously in these soap boxes, this car is primarliy responsible for the mentality of majority of Indians to consider price over safety. In my opinion, it was just a tin soap box with 4 wheels.

As all of you being team-bhp members who promote safe driving. I would urge you to drop the idea of nostalgia and loss and let cars that barely cared about safety their rightful place in history

Note: This is in no way meant as disrepect to any current of previous owners of the M800. Just my 2 paisa
Cyrus_the_virus is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 22:55   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I am slightly surprised this has happened; considering how Hyundai continues to milk the Santro brand despite Eon and i10 being near about in the same range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Couple of points that came to my mind are indicated below;
1. That is sad. Should have continued with the present Alto 800 engine.
Because this is the car that kick started a motoring revolution on the
Indian roads. this is the car that put India on wheels, to be precise.
2. The first Maruti 800 (SS80) was in production for only 2 years.
3. The M800 never got equipped with Power Steering. This along with point 2
above would have given it a fresh lease of life.
Isn't the reason why the M800 came out of production the fact that the cost to have it conform to the latest emission regulations was too high for it to make financial sense? I believe that is why it was phased out of tier 1 cities in 2010.
libranof1987 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 23:36   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

A sad day in the motoring history of India. The car that most Indians connect with and with which most of have learnt driving is now past its production years 1984-2014!
Mine has been with us since 26 plus years (1987 model) and has never let us down. The car is so easy to drive and park - all it takes to park is the width of two scooters.
The maintenance is so easy on the pocket - it rarely needs any repairs if kept well and handled decently.In fact, some say its as costly to maintain a scooter !
The newer cars have been getting so many add-ons like OE power steering, ABS / EBD brakes, airbags and more. While our favourite car got the headlight levelling device and MPFI only. It had the AC option from day 1 with its then DX model. Its rear suspension was tweaked sometime in 1997.
The car was overtaken in the sales sweepstakes by all the "Johnny come lately's" and it was gasping for attention.
The new owner's always felt that their car was lacking in many departments. Most were budget buyers or one's who were going for their n th car.
MSIL concentrated on their newer launches and let this great car die its own death by slow poisoning - Sad saga! Not to brag, it sold many, many more units more, even very recently, as compared to the A Star!

My dream car:

Name:  DSC02647.JPG
Views: 1673
Size:  131.6 KB

Name:  DSC02646.JPG
Views: 2378
Size:  131.7 KB

Name:  DSC02648.JPG
Views: 1611
Size:  128.1 KB

MSIL rests its once bread winner ! I am yet to come to terms with the news!

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 9th February 2014 at 23:39.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 01:58   #23
BHPian

Sad, but inevitable. Maruti 800, you will always be loved, respected and remembered.

We brought home our brand new white Maruti 800 Standard in 1995 (carbureted) as a replacement for our ever troublesome Ambassador Mark 3. Good roads, bad roads, no roads, off roads or waterlogged roads- she has conquered them all. 19 long years and still going strong at 1,30,000 km without a single major issue- EPIC. As time passed, Accent, Swift and Duster became part of my family, but like Bonnie and Clyde, we and the 800 were inseparable.

However, for the past 5 years or so it was painful to see this vehicle being bashed by people, who’ve little or no idea about what this little car is capable of or what this car did to the Indian Automobile Industry. I respect the decision of Maruti Suzuki to retire the iconic Maruti 800.

Just so that you're aware, this 19 year old beauty is my daily ride to office. I might start working on an ownership report soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus_the_virus View Post
Personally, I am happy this has happenned. While it is agreeable that it was a reliable and mass market car, I would barely call it a revolutionary car. This was the most unsafe car ever built in my opinion. With so many people I knew who have died horrendously in these soap boxes, this car is primarliy responsible for the mentality of majority of Indians to consider price over safety. In my opinion, it was just a tin soap box with 4 wheels.
As all of you being team-bhp members who promote safe driving. I would urge you to drop the idea of nostalgia and loss and let cars that barely cared about safety their rightful place in history
Note: This is in no way meant as disrepect to any current of previous owners of the M800. Just my 2 paisa
Isn't nostalgia and obituary the two sides of the same coin? I believe the whole point of this thread is nostalgia itself.

Though I agree with some of your comments, 'price over safety' point is debatable. The target segment of M800 was middle and lower middle class families who were prospective bike buyers. Needless to say, M800 was ( adn still is) safer than bikes.

Maruti 800 was indeed a benchmark in many aspects when it was launched 30 years back. Now, 30 years down the lane the cars that are now considered safe and dynamically sound will become obsolete. But If we review the past 30 years, it becomes clear that no other car has made the impact that these ‘tin soap boxes’ made on the Indian automobile industry, the society and the economy. That makes it revolutionary. We obviously need to do something genuinely good to go down in the history books .
xjosephjacob is online now   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 08:28   #24
BHPian

Thank God the plug was pulled on 800. All that nostalgia and paraphernalia of learning to drive and our first car apart I think that is the 800 was the sole reason that started out the price over safety revolution. Competition had better space, interiors and safety features. But only thing this tin box had was the lowest price. People argue that this was made for the common man, so maruti thought that common man only needs cheap cars and not safe cars.
If this car would not have been there common man would have travelled in bus and trains thus a fair probability that bus and trains would have upgraded to much better quality than today.
Maruti ran on subsidies of the common man at that point of time. So they took common man money to build a tin box called 800 and sold it to upper middle class at that time.
vikrantj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 09:44   #25
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Sad to see the iconic Maruti 800 go off the factory assembly lines.
This is one car that almost every Indian can associate/connect with in some way.

Our 2007 M800 is still the preferred city car and I won't miss it anytime soon
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 10:32   #26
Senior - BHPian

Any chance the Cervo to come as a replacement for M800?
romeomidhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 10:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: RIP Maruti 800

There might be a very few on the forum and outside who must have not been associated with this iconic car. My first driving lessons were on the 800 without the power steering. My first ownership was the 800 with power steering and MPFi. There were some great personal landmarks reached using the car. My first long drive (Mumbai-Pune) was in this car. I stillr etain the pics of the car I used to own. No car ever gave me so much satisfaction of ownership.

I wouldnt say RIP coz it will remain eternally etched in my mind for years to come.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 12:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

I am very sad to see this go!

Like many here, this was my first car- a beautiful white M800. The car was a pleasure to drive and the nostalgia is there for ever right from the moment the car rolled out from the showroom floor.

The long drives(with extra fuel cans for unleaded petrol, which was new those days!) were a pleasure and the car never let us down. After owning and keeping it in house for 8 years, had to sell it as no body were using the car after the news ones joined the team.

A great timeless car, it is!!
getsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 12:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

The Maruti 800 was the first car owned by me and my two brothers, and perhaps almost all I knew. I owned it from Sep 95 to Apr 99, my younger brother from early 98 to perhaps 2001, and older brother from mid 98 to late 2003.

I upgraded in April 99 to the standard upgrade to Zen though there was also the Esteem.

Have not bought any Maruti/Suzuki since then. Sold off the Zen in May 2004. My elder brother did buy a Zen in late 2003 but sold it off in early 2008 for a Honda City.

So no Maruti/Suzuki purchases in my immediate family since 2003.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 04:10   #30
BHPian

Sad to hear the iconic car will no longer be in production. At the same time we are letting go our 2001 5-speed M800. Being my first car, it always will have special place in my heart. Dad is the only one driving it and he finds it difficult to drive without power steering.
josejoseph is offline   Reply With Quote