Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2016, 22:37   #61
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: warangal
Posts: 126
Thanked: 312 Times
Default Re: RIP Maruti 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams_f1 View Post
Hi,

Great to see some well maintained 800s here, we have a white '99 model at home done just 35k KM till date, the car is very dear to us and will hold on to it for a long long time.

Is the spare parts issue common to all 800s or specific to the pre '98 models?

For us, we faced a problem with the Fuel indicator, it was difficult to find a new one, finally my mechanic managed to fix the current one itself.

With age something or the other keeps failings though not very often and often very cheap so it is not a problem.

The fun part is with the compact dimensions, direct steering, peppy engine and being cheap on the pocket it is perfect and if you speak to my mech who has been working on 800s for 30 odd years, he will convince you that it is perfect and there is no need to upgrade to any other car!

Thanks.
I am surprised that you have parts failing often. I do not have such issues except for the regular replacements I go through. If you need any help with restoration or maruti 800 in general, you can head over to my youtube videos at


Alternately, there is writeup at
www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/176773-diy-refurbishing-maruti-800-budget.html

As far as fuel indicator is concerned, you will have trouble finding replacement part even for a modern hotcake like creta or alto because they usually never fail. And if you need parts, your best bet is scrapyard. You can get OEM parts for 1/3 price. All the parts are currently available such as bumpers or brakelights or others. There is absolutely no difficulty as of now. But shops have stopped stocking spares for maruti 800 because the breed is dying. So, 5 years down the line, you may not have parts available.

I agree with the mechanic for some part. IF you want to commute in the city, there is absolutely nothing better than maruti 800. Great visibility, light clutch, compact dimensions, easy overtaking, chilling AC etc. But on highway, it is suitable only for 2 adults and 2 children because of the rear legroom. The boot space and brakes are also poor. But other than that, it is all the car you ever need. By the way, if you plan on retaining your car, get an underbody anti-rust coating because maruti 800 is a rust box. I do have a lot of tips for AC, engine overheating etc. Head over to my youtube channel and my thread.
aveemashfaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2016, 23:01   #62
Senior - BHPian
 
Leoshashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: India
Posts: 1,664
Thanked: 7,083 Times
Default Re: RIP Maruti 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams_f1 View Post
Is the spare parts issue common to all 800s or specific to the pre '98 models?
There is nothing like "spare parts issue" for 800s. I agree, the SS80 specific parts have been out of production for a long time, but for the SB308 model which was launched in 1986 and which continued right upto 2014- each and every spare is available as MGP.

The main reason why most of the spare parts stockists don't take interest in 800 spares is because they are too cheap, and they can make more money by attending to a Swift customer, rather than searching for a 20 rupees vent for that 1990 M800.

But the fact remains, that every single part is serviceable from Maruti's end. I have myself faced this issue when I tried searching for some spares(dashboard etc) of T1 800. One strong mail to Maruti, and the MGP stockist of my city had almost lost his dealership. Now the rarest of the rare spares reach me within a week. I don't expect my MGP stockist to give me each and every spare immediately, but I am glad that he is now happy to help me out with the spares by placing an order. All I do is making a list of the spare part numbers which I need, so that he doesn't waste his time hunting for the required part number.

So all 800 owners, keep revving!! There is no shortage of spares.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2016, 13:31   #63
BHPian
 
Cooltronics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 234
Thanked: 229 Times
Default Re: RIP Maruti 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
There is nothing like "spare parts issue" for 800s. I agree, the SS80 specific parts have been out of production for a long time, but for the SB308 model which was launched in 1986 and which continued right upto 2014- each and every spare is available as MGP.

The main reason why most of the spare parts stockists don't take interest in 800 spares is because they are too cheap, and they can make more money by attending to a Swift customer, rather than searching for a 20 rupees vent for that 1990 M800.

But the fact remains, that every single part is serviceable from Maruti's end. I have myself faced this issue when I tried searching for some spares(dashboard etc) of T1 800. One strong mail to Maruti, and the MGP stockist of my city had almost lost his dealership. Now the rarest of the rare spares reach me within a week. I don't expect my MGP stockist to give me each and every spare immediately, but I am glad that he is now happy to help me out with the spares by placing an order. All I do is making a list of the spare part numbers which I need, so that he doesn't waste his time hunting for the required part number.

So all 800 owners, keep revving!! There is no shortage of spares.

Regards,
Shashi
This is not completely true Shashi. SB308 production started from 1986 but had quite a few changes over the years, first one being in 1994 when front grill was changed and interior also shades of grey's got changed and front parking lights colour got changed.
You get all parts from that era till 2014 but SB 308 first gen parts are elusive and you need to hunt badly in old shops or scrapyards.
Cooltronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2016, 14:23   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
Leoshashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: India
Posts: 1,664
Thanked: 7,083 Times
Default Re: RIP Maruti 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
This is not completely true Shashi. SB308 production started from 1986 but had quite a few changes over the years, first one being in 1994 when front grill was changed and interior also shades of grey's got changed and front parking lights colour got changed.
You get all parts from that era till 2014 but SB 308 first gen parts are elusive and you need to hunt badly in old shops or scrapyards.
Well talking about changes, the first change actually happened in 1989/1990 when the Suzuki engine and other stuff were localised. On the exteriors, the visible changes were Maruti logo on the bonnet button in place of the inverted triangle shape on Suzuki engine cars. The exterior shape continued unchanged till 1994 as you said.

Regarding the parts availability, even the first gen SB308's spares are available. However if you wish to get the Stanley sealed beams, or those Tokai Denso branded indicator glass, then you'll have to look outside of MGP shops. For all other items, they are available.

I recently bought brand new grill and emblem on the grill for BHPian sumitsinha0280's SB308 from MGP. The reason of their low availability is because the grills come in a pack of 50, so MGP store won't entertain your order of a single piece.


RIP Maruti 800-20150803_151453-1.jpg

RIP Maruti 800-img20160221wa0039.jpg

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th December 2016 at 22:56.
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2016, 14:27   #65
BHPian
 
Cooltronics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 234
Thanked: 229 Times
Default Re: RIP Maruti 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Well talking about changes, the first change actually happened in 1989/1990 when the Suzuki engine and other stuff were localised. Onthe exteriors, the visible changes were Maruti logo on the bonnet button in place of the inverted triangle shape on Suzuki engine cars. The exterior shape continued unchanged till 1994 as you said.

Regarding the parts availability, even the first gen SB308's spares are available. However if you wish to get the Stanley sealed beams, or those Tokai Denso branded indicator glass, then you'll have to look outside of MGP shops. For all other items, they are available.

I recently bought brand new grill and emblem on the grill for BHPian sumitsinha0280's SB308 from MGP. The reason of their low availability is because the grills come in a pack of 50, so MGP store won't entertain your order of a single piece.


Attachment 1589148

Attachment 1589149

Regards,
Shashi
That's cargasm for me I would prefer it any day over anything... Can you help me with few of such things ? I visited quite a few MGP shops and all I face is blunt NO.

Last edited by Cooltronics : 28th December 2016 at 14:29. Reason: adding more content
Cooltronics is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti 800 STD & 800 DX..pros & cons ? shapath Technical Stuff 6 21st August 2015 11:32
Maruti to discontinue Estilo & A-Star EDIT: RIP, both sarathlal The Indian Car Scene 69 21st February 2014 19:02
Service for Maruti 800 at Maruti Service Masters f1head Indian Car Dealerships 20 16th May 2010 18:48
Maruti likely to renew Maruti 800 with a brand new car askicode The Indian Car Scene 32 13th February 2007 12:57
Help: DVD rip to hard disk v1p3r Shifting gears 25 11th January 2006 18:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:03.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks