Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 8th February 2014, 20:24   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai @ Auto Expo 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
That price is then a big bummer is it? Shame! Hyundai actually had a good chance to claw some numbers with the new Santa Fe.
Indeed. If I am in the market for a car in this segment, I may not need a 4WD but will definitely need all the safety aspects covered in a 30 odd lakhs car. In this case Hyundai is not giving an option, other than to just go with the top variant.
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 10:17   #17
BHPian

Though the Santa Fe looks really nice, I thinks its expensive. In India, somehow people skeptical on paying such a huge amount for Hyundai. The fluidic Sonata also looks awesome but I hardly see them on the roads. People somehow prefer other brands when it comes to cars/SUVs beyond 20 lakhs.
neel911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 10:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

The Santa Fe has out priced itself. With the German competition around who would buy a Hyundai. I don't even like the interiors. Too plasticky.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 10:34   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
As per Hyundai India's website, the quoted features are available only on the top 4WD variant. The other two variants get just 2 airbags along with ABS+EBD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
That price is then a big bummer is it? Shame! Hyundai actually had a good chance to claw some numbers with the new Santa Fe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Indeed. If I am in the market for a car in this segment, I may not need a 4WD but will definitely need all the safety aspects covered in a 30 odd lakhs car. In this case Hyundai is not giving an option, other than to just go with the top variant.
I sat in the Santa Fe along with Anshuman for quite a long time and we went over it closely.

The Santa Fe was very very impressive. Interiors and exteriors everything is just perfect. The quality of materials used in the interiors is right up there with the Europeans and it's hard to believe this is a Korean car.

I was expecting a premium but the prices are way beyond what I expected. The 2WD AT loses out on so many features. You get only basic safety and no push button start.

Very disappointed with the 2WD AT features and price point. For only city use where I don't need the 4WD, if I look at the 2WD AT I will get only 2 airbags and no electronic safety driving assists.

The pricing is on par with the Q3, leave alone the Fortuner.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 12:46   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai's got a great opportunity to finally make inroads into the 20 ~ 25L segment in India with this new Santa Fe. It looks smart, is loaded with features, has got the specs, is diesel powered and looks to have quality interiors as well. By looking at the pricing it seems as if they are not interested in this segment at all.

The 2WD AT variant seems like a dummy variant and look like its just there to make the 4WD AT look like good value. Basically for a couple of lakhs more you get 4WD and a host of safety features. Looking at the current pricing and variant options I don't think there is any way one can justify going for the 2WD variants.

Most SUV buyers in India don't need 4WD. The current variant positioning will just push prospective buyers to opt for the 4WD AT variant, which will cross 33L on road in most cities. 33L for a Hyundai? This thought may just push the buyer out of the Hyundai showroom!
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 14:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai stall is most disappointing. I was expecting to see the MUV concept and also the Mini SUV concept, which competes with Ecosport / duster / Terrano.

Ford took around 18 months from first display of Ecosport to opening the sales counters. if the concept is not displayed today, it is at least 2+ years away. Ertiga / Enjoy / Mobilio will laugh their way to the bank by the time Hyundai joins the party.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 19:26   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hyundai Xcent

The wheelbase is the same as the Grand i10.

Attachment 1204744
Excellent coverage, Rehaan.

Can you clarify a doubt - has rear space been bolstered in the Xcent over the Grand i10?

Honda did the same with the Amaze over the Brio which made it much more spacious in the rear, but judging by that pic above, the rear space seems more or less similar to the Grand i10.

Being a tallboy design, headroom must be generous to an extent but what about legroom and shoulder room, and scope for a third passenger? Any official specs on cabin length and width?
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 22:58   #23
BHPian

The pricing of the newly launched Santa Fe may be on a higher side. But we will very soon see the reduction in the form of exchange bonus, loyalty, free insurance, dealer discount etc. These will altogether bring the price down by a lakh or so.

Hyundai has always known to price the cars higher. I am sure that the new Xcent will also be priced at a small premium.

May be they have still feel that pricing the car higher and then offering loads of discounts after a year of launch attracts customers to their fold.

I have not seen any picture of a Santro. Was it there or not? If I assume it was not showcased then can we assume it is an indication of it getting phased out.
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 14:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

I agree with you on the boot integration , its a decent job , similar in looks to the Dzire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hyundai Xcent

I seem to be in the minority here, but i really like the boot integration:
Attachment 1204723
puchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 21:29   #25
BHPian

Does Xcent get a wider bench at the rear than Grand? I agree, the integration is good, since the bonnet is short, the overall proportions look balanced.
fz_rider is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 00:22   #26
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
Does Xcent get a wider bench at the rear than Grand?
I don't think it's going to be any wider than the rear seat of the Grand i10, since the width of both cars is the same. However, the rear seat on the Xcent seems to have just a little extra bolstering, from the pictures at least. This, and the foldable rear armrest (which the Grand i10 lacks) should make the Xcent's rear seat a bit more comfortable for two persons. Three big adults on the rear seat is always going to be a tight fit in both cars.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote