Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 10th February 2014, 21:58   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Honda @ Auto Expo 2014

Any news of Hinda CRV coming with 1.6 litre diesel to India. That would be a killer and a perfect choice in the 18-20 lakhs bracket.
ajit_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 22:23   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajit_72 View Post
Any news of Hinda CRV coming with 1.6 litre diesel to India. That would be a killer and a perfect choice in the 18-20 lakhs bracket.
Extremely doubtful considering that the petrol CR-V is already priced stratospherically and the diesel would only push the price higher.

Secondly, a 30L SUV with a 1.6L diesel engine will not go down well with potential buyers especially when comparing with the Santa Fe 2.2L, Fortuner 3.0L or the Captiva 2.2.

Thirdly, the 1.6L engine is not supposed to be for indian conditions i.e. not tuned to run on poor fuel quality. The idea of bringing the 1.5L i-DTEC was to make changes to the 1.6L by reducing the displacement to 1.5L and tuning it for poor diesel fuel quality.

The 1.5L engine in Amaze and City is actually the same block as the 1.6L with a reduced stroke.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 23:51   #48
BHPian

Keenly awaiting launch of the new Jazz. There is a mixed news out there on the exact launch date. There are some like AutoCarIndia and OverDrive who expect the launch in Dec'14 while others like Motorbeam and CarDekho are expecting launch in Jul'14. Sooner the better I would say

In the following snap we see an interesting addition in Jazz which is missing in the new City. Jazz comes with height adjustable head rest for rear seat passengers and in addition a head rest for middle passenger too.

Just love the way rear seats can be folded completely to form a flat bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda @ Auto Expo 2014-hondajazzflexibleseatat2014autoexpo.jpg  

Honda @ Auto Expo 2014-hondajazzrearseatflatfoldingat2014autoexpo.jpg  

damager21 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 23:55   #49
BHPian

The Jazz still doesn't come in a powerful trim here. When VW can do it with their TSI Polo and Vento, what's stopping Honda? If Jazz is going to be prized above Amaze, might as well make it powerful?
nareshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 10:43   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Bud the Mobilio is built on the Brio Platform and hence using the same components and parts makes sense to maximize the profitability. Also that is the main reason behind building a car on an existing platform. The Mobilio in India, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore will have the same interiors. We are not getting any step motherly treatment.
Using same platform has no harm. But why use same interiors? Company gains on profitability for sure, but what customer gets here? Cheap interiors, right? So why customer should suffer? So will you buy 10-12 Lacs rupee car and accept those interiors saying its profitable for company and same is available in other countries as well?? At least not me. Ertiga also has similar interiors to Swift and Dzire, but in that case interiors are much better with good quality. So customers accepted it.

My only point here is, as a customer who is going to pay big amount (minimum 9-12 lacs depending on model) should get better interiors. He deserve that. I hope you get my point now
aniketi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 11:40   #51
VMG
BHPian

Are we getting Jazz automatic or CVT? I am very keen to buy one of them or will buy Brio automatic.
VMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 11:52   #52
BHPian

Cool Re: Honda @ Auto Expo 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Keenly awaiting launch of the new Jazz.

Just love the way rear seats can be folded completely to form a flat bed.
Wow ! look at that. Even with the rear seat upright, the boot seems humongous for a hatch. Could be a good 300 lts or more!!! And the rear seat split simply adds to the convenience.

Thanks,
C_

Last edited by Coolman : 11th February 2014 at 11:57. Reason: Removed the image
Coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 12:33   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolman View Post
Wow ! look at that. Even with the rear seat upright, the boot seems humongous for a hatch. Could be a good 300 lts or more!!! And the rear seat split simply adds to the convenience.

Thanks,
C_
Old Jazz had 366L of boot space. The new model has even more, close to 400L which is similar to Amaze and more than 'sedans' like Dzire.
adimicra is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 13:41   #54
BHPian

Honda at last seems to have their priorities right. I have been quite impressed with the recent launch of City and upcoming launches of Mobilio and Jazz.

Mobilio looks decent from outside and seems to be having good interior space also. Instead of looking to solely compete with Ertiga, Honda should also look at providing competition to Innova. For that they must offer interior which is upmarket and different from Brio/Amaze. Their engine line up of 1.5l petrol and diesel seems perfect for this size of car.

New Jazz looks stunning. Hope they come out with automatic transmission and 1.5l engine.
rutvij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 14:08   #55
BHPian

Any idea what the ground clearance and the tire size of the Mobilio is? I guess it has the same clearance as the Ertiga!
carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 15:06   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
Any idea what the ground clearance and the tire size of the Mobilio is? I guess it has the same clearance as the Ertiga!
185mm in the Indonesian version which is exactly the same as Ertiga.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 19:22   #57
BHPian

Exclamation Re: Honda @ Auto Expo 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Honda till now was the only manufacturer with this problem as it had Brio -> Amaze and now will have Jazz -> City.
Hyundai will see the same problems now with the Xcent. The Xcent will be priced above the Grand i10 but what is above the Grand i10? It's the i20. So i20 will in effect be similarly priced than the Xcent. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
If jazz is priced more than amaze, i would go for amaze.
But in our market, there are atleast a dozen cars which will be cheaper than this. why would one want to buy Jazz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
^^ @gemi_kk: Thanks for your reply.
Honda is localizing lot of components in the Jazz. So, whether they will be able to maintain the same quality standards is something we have to wait and watch.

@Vid: I agree with you on the overlap. Honda's problem is even more than Hyundai.
It is for Honda to justify the premium for Jazz by promoting the virtues of the car. And I think the market is matured enough now and people are willing to buy a hatchback for 8-9L if they see value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
gemi_kk: Agree with your point that Amaze might end up to be a better selling car than Jazz
Would the aam junta favour Jazz instead of the Xcents, DZires and Figo sedans - now that remains to be seen.
Name:  Sub_4_Meter_Pricing.jpg
Views: 2382
Size:  35.4 KB

The Amaze (based on the Brio Hatchback) as a Sub-4-meter is developed, priced and marketed as an entry level Sedan by Honda. The same pricing strategy would make sense for Hyundai's Xcent (based on the Grand Hatchback).

In the present day market, the Amaze is around 1.2 L more expensive than the Brio. Applying similar pricing strategy to the Xcent would make it cost around 6.2 L (petrol). Coincidentally this is the exact price of an i20 today. Borrowing from this, the Jazz can be priced similarly at 6.0 L (petrol) so that its cost matches the Amaze.

The variations in the equation for Hyundai and Honda:
  1. Pricing the Sub-4-meter Sedan and the Premium Hatchback alike might result in sales cannibalization within. Hyundai might be impacted more here, as the buyer's preference might tilt (from i20 to Xcent) towards a sedan unlike Honda which might have lesser (from Amaze to Jazz) impacts.

2. Pricing the Sub-4-meter Sedan lesser than the Premium Hatchback, would justify the Premium associated with the Premium Hatchback, but in:
    • a market obsessed with "How much did you get it for? How much does it give?" (on a lighter vein) and
    • a market that belongs to a developing nation where "hard-earned money, what to afford" do the rounds (on a serious note)
    will lead to more of sales cannibalization within.

3. Pricing the Sub-4-meter Sedan marginally more than the Premium Hatchback would possibly ensure that the impact of cannibalization within is the least. However this would result in bowing down to the competition directly as the Sub-4-meter Sedans that they are targeting to compete with will retain their edge and on the flip side they would be selling their Premium Hatchbacks with low margins.
Whatsoever, it will be a pricing maze, and you thought, keeping a car under 4 meters was the most difficult of all!

Thanks,
C_
Coolman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 19:37   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
185mm in the Indonesian version which is exactly the same as Ertiga.
Hey VIdyut - couple of queries. I am planning to buy an MUV / SUV within 6 months.
  1. When is mobilio slated for india launch ?
  2. Is the interiors same as pictured here (same as Brio/Amaze) or would the final production version feature richer interiors?
  3. Is the 3rd row seating on par with Innova or is it comparable to XUV5OO and Ertiga? Datsun GO+ is a strict No No owing to pathetic 3rd row comfort.
scopriobharath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 19:45   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Hey VIdyut - couple of queries. I am planning to buy an MUV / SUV within 6 months.
  1. When is mobilio slated for india launch ?
  2. Is the interiors same as pictured here (same as Brio/Amaze) or would the final production version feature richer interiors?
  3. Is the 3rd row seating on par with Innova or is it comparable to XUV5OO and Ertiga? Datsun GO+ is a strict No No owing to pathetic 3rd row comfort.
Slated for India launch in the second half of the year. Probably sometime between June to September since the Jazz is expected towards the end of the year.

The interiors of the car at the Expo were for Indonesia. For India, the only change I expect is less black and more brown. Don't expect a drastic change as this is a Indonesia spec production car.

3rd row seating was better than Ertiga and XUV500 for sure but not as good as an Innova.

You should wait for the Mobilio if you really don't need a proper MPV. The Innova is the best but do remember it is getting old now and due for a change in the next couple of years.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 21:29   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The interiors of the car at the Expo were for Indonesia. For India, the only change I expect is less black and more brown. Don't expect a drastic change as this is a Indonesia spec production car.

3rd row seating was better than Ertiga and XUV500 for sure but not as good as an Innova.
Hey Vid - the other Mobilio thread in the indian car scene section mentions that the third row is suited to kids only. What is your view on this.

Secondly, since this is expected to cost close to Ertiga/Honda City, is it too much to expect City like interiors ? I thought that when i am paying almost like a city, i should get city-like interiors/steering - Comments ?
scopriobharath is online now   Reply With Quote