Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 3rd July 2006, 10:08   #1
BANNED

Default New Diesel Launches in couple of months

Hi,

Does anyone of you know when are these models expected to be launched in India:

1. Hyundai Verna - expected Sep'06
2. Skoda Fabia - any idea of this?
3. Any other diesel or even petrol sedan expected soon....

Please share the information here...

Last edited by udit78 : 3rd July 2006 at 10:10.
udit78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2006, 11:53   #2
BHPian

Default Auto Car 2006 July has the details

Hello Udit,

The Jlu 2006 autocar magazine has a coverstory on the diesel versions of the cars coming to India. Have a look at that and they may have the tentative details on their expected launch dates.
Aeroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2006, 12:42   #3
BHPian

i had gone to skoda silver stone , moti nagar that fellow told me that the fabia is expected at the end of the year i.e. december. lets see the rest.
200mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 23:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Default Fabia..

I fell in love with this car when i first saw it 3-4 years back. Skoda guys have been teasing us with this beauty in the last two AUTO EXPOs..but it looks like she will just remain a dream.
Anyways...it looks like now they will bring in the hatchback first....the reason being the small car dimensions given by the Finance ministry in this year's budget. The hatch fits the bill and will be cheaper for Skoda as the excise duty is less. Price range....i think Skoda will pitch it against the newly launched Optra SRV.
ashutoshb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 12:33   #5
BHPian

I don't remember the issue month nor I do remember the mag (was OD or AutoCar) but they saied before Fabia, Skoda will launch Roomster! If their news is right, Fabia launch will be delayed till mid-2007?
yeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 13:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

The Fiat 1.3 Multijet in the Swift it has two states of tune not sure whether we in India wil get the higher powered version. Personally looking forward at gates of Fiat, praying, hoping, everymorning (infact part of my morning prayers every single day, not joking) that they give the multijet treatment to the already existing Palio D. Remember its the same famous engine in NA form, which everyone in Europe loves so much about in JTD form. Will the Gods agree?

Adventure anyday anytime with that engine (I've driven that engine and Believe me its sure to take many petrolheads and make them wear Diesel!)
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 14:58   #7
BHPian

was recently talking to my uncle, whos a skoda dealer, and he said they have both Hatch and Sedans Fabia ready for initial imports. but Skoda is waiting for setting up a sizeable plant before its launch as it got in fix with the Laura. the high demand of Laura has eaten up all its existing plant space. So this time they are not going to let it happen again. Also the duty structures are still to be finalised. they are still not sure for the Hatch or Sedan as their duties differ. They are hoping for the Sedan, but if Hatch works out cheaper, they will come with the Hatch first.

Other than this, well Hyundai is to launch the SANTA-FE too sometime this year. or early next. Terracan has been stopped now and Santa-Fe will replace it.

@ JathinRao : Thou ford is a world leading brand, and Skoda is a very small name on its own, Skoda has a lot more revenue and fans coming in than Ford has. given a choice of Ford Fusion and a Skoda Fabia Hatch, the Fabia is bound to sell a lot more than fusion can dream of! Ford sucks in quality while being expensive. Atleats Skoda is expensive but has fantastic quality.

other than that,
Ford is also coming out with the RANGER - the so called "upgraded Endeavour" Ranger is a superb vehicle! and its 140bhp CRDi engine is also nice!

Last edited by Insane Devil : 19th July 2006 at 15:01.
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 15:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil

@ JathinRao : Thou ford is a world leading brand, and Skoda is a very small name on its own, Skoda has a lot more revenue and fans coming in than Ford has. given a choice of Ford Fusion and a Skoda Fabia Hatch, the Fabia is bound to sell a lot more than fusion can dream of! Ford sucks in quality while being expensive. Atleats Skoda is expensive but has fantastic quality.
I believe that if Fabia hatch is launched at the same price as Fusion, it will have a tough time because like everyone says, at that price people expect a boot. It is a different story that with seats down, Fabia has more than 1000 liters of space. Also a car with a boot is perceieved to be more prestigious in India. I think that perception is slowly changing (Getz and Swift wouldn't be successful if they were launched a few years back) but I think it will still be some time if before people start paying 8 L or so for a hatch.
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 15:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
other than that,
Ford is also coming out with the RANGER - the so called "upgraded Endeavour" Ranger is a superb vehicle! and its 140bhp CRDi engine is also nice!
Source of information ID.....and don't tell me that you are quoting that old issue of Autocar? Or is this more recent, authentic information?
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 16:08   #10
BHPian

Suman, Ford, Toyota, Honda and a few more car manufacturers have Thailand as its base for indian imports. most of cars that come to india, are ones that are running in Thailand currently. and Endeavour comes from there, and so is Ranger. i was damn sure that Ford would soon upgrade the Endeavour to the Ranger, and on my last trip when i saw them advertising the Ranger with the 140bhp engine, i was pretty sure we will see it. Autocar just reconfirmed my belief.
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 16:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i was damn sure that Ford would soon upgrade the Endeavour to the Ranger, and on my last trip when i saw them advertising the Ranger with the 140bhp engine, i was pretty sure we will see it. Autocar just reconfirmed my belief.
Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that's for sure but on the flip side, the Everest in Thailand continues to run the same engine as our Endeavour so.........
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2006, 18:03   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

thats a hyundai!

jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2006, 18:57   #13
BHPian

If Fabia has a sedan version then what may be the price range ?
kashd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 00:53   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Skoda is like VW. Excellent quality materials, very finely crafted but not so good reliability.
THE-U- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 00:56   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

i wouldnt be surprised if the fabia(sedan) is pitted against the honda city,it will still eat into the city's market share.considering indians love diesels and the brand image that skoda enjoys in india ,customers will be begging for one at that price.skoda has excellent build quality,robust,excellent engines and thats what matters on our roads.
lets not forget that even the octavia is actually a hatchback.if the fabia hatch is sold at a price of 5.5-6lacs,it would o realy well and can easily beat getz,swift diesel.Skoda is known for its diesel engines which is more than i can say for suzuki and hyundai(atleast in india).
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote