Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 6th December 2015, 17:08   #166
BHPian

Could some one explain the pros and cons of this feature please. And would the braking be adversely affected by this.
Old 9th December 2015, 12:39   #167

Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 with 6-Speed Automatic in 2015. EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 15.53 lakh

Guys - I believe the cars have reached the dealers, has anyone done a detailed test drive of the XUV5OO Automatic? I am quite keen to consider this one for my use, although I plan to take a test drive soon but since I am no expert on cars and have never driven automatics, I will depend a lot on feedback from this forum. Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 19:39   #168
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 with 6-Speed Automatic in 2015. EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 15.53 lakh

I will call up the local dealers tomorrow, and check up.
If a test drive vehicle has arrived, I will go at once and give you the feedback.

Rahul
Old 9th December 2015, 20:32   #169
BHPian

Yesterday a colleague of mine insisted that I take a ride in his brand new 2015 XUV 500 W10. His XUV was rolled out a few weeks back.

I have never taken a test drive neither had I sat in the 2015 XUV W10 earlier. It was post dinner and so when I jumped in all the dashboard lights and the mood lighting was switched on with the sunroof open. It still had the 'new car' smell with light music playing. First impression, "Wow".

I have to 100% agree, the XUV 500 W10 is indeed value for money in every aspect if one is looking for a full size SUV with all creature comforts. The ride was also very comfortable with almost no outside noise in the cabin.

It was a stick shift. I can only imagine how comfortable the 6-speed automatic XUV 500 would be. Looking forward to a test drive and comments from others on test drive reviews.
geotracks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 21:32   #170
BHPian

The XUV 500 website says :

* Test drives of XUV500 Automatic will be available starting 12th of December 2015 at your registered dealership. Please contact the dealership for the exact date.

First they said 4th, then 8th, now 12th..... looks like they are moving it with 4 day intervals don't know when they will really be available. Waiting eagerly to check it out whenever it will be available.
Old 9th December 2015, 23:22   #171
BHPian

I was expecting Mahindra to follow the scorpio strategy - launch the AT in W8 AWD as well (as was done with S6 in scorpio). Am sure that will bring in a lotta volumes for the AT xuv. Wonder why they decided not to launch it in w8 AWD.

If anyone in Mahindra is listening, please consider that and see how fast you get those bookings.
Old 10th December 2015, 09:41   #172
BHPian

All the automatic test vehicles seen in Pune were either W6 or W8 , test drivers were tight lipped, but at least in test vehicles W8 had both FWD and AWD.
Initially they may not be able to produce big numbers of AT, and not having AT in lower versions may keep control on numbers, give them some time, and I guess W6 FWD and W8 AWD will be launched too.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 20:24   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
All the automatic test vehicles seen in Pune were either W6 or W8 , test drivers were tight lipped, but at least in test vehicles W8 had both FWD and AWD.

Rahul
You mean W8 & W10, as W6 doesn't has AT yet.

Quote:
I was expecting Mahindra to follow the scorpio strategy - launch the AT in W8 AWD as well (as was done with S6 in scorpio)
There is no AT in Scorpio S6. AT is available only in one variant, which is S10 (both 2WD & 4 WD)
Old 10th December 2015, 23:36   #174
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
Very basic question.....other than the obvious difference like engine power, ground clearance etc. an SUV to me looks like a "Jeep", while a MUV is a "Van".

I am still trying to figure out, outward design wise, what makes the MUV (Innova / Lodgy etc.) look like a Van and vehicles like the XUV / Scorpio / Creta etc. look like a SUV? I mean dimension wise etc. they are comparable. Both, XUV & Innova are 7 / 8 seaters. Is there a difference physical outward appearance wise that puts them in one category or the other. Any thoughts?
Further clarification would dissolve both categories into a congealed gooey mess, impossible to demarcate!
Old 11th December 2015, 00:07   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk7671 View Post
I was expecting Mahindra to follow the scorpio strategy - launch the AT in W8 AWD as well (as was done with S6 in scorpio). Am sure that will bring in a lotta volumes for the AT xuv. Wonder why they decided not to launch it in w8 AWD.

If anyone in Mahindra is listening, please consider that and see how fast you get those bookings.
Be rest assured, our homegrown Mahindra and Mahindra is one such company that has always taken customer feedback into serious consideration and the new age XUV 5OO is the best example of the same. I am sure even if they think of this W8 AWD A/T variant, it will be only after the initial hype of A/T transmission is settled down.

By the way, I am eagerly waiting for the official review of the XUV A/T in both FWD and AWD. I am sure its only then we all will be able to find answers for our question(s).
Old 11th December 2015, 00:36   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Further clarification would dissolve both categories into a congealed gooey mess, impossible to demarcate!
Pasting below outlines of 2 vehicles. Going to try asking and getting across one more time, in a different way with pictures, this time:

Point I am trying to make is if we were to guess which shape is a 'van' and which is a 'SUV', it would be obvious. Most people will guess correctly.

In comparison, both have 'large wheels', 'slanting windshield', '3 large windows on the side', almost equal size head-lights and front grill etc. Everything that people here attempted to describe as potential 'differences', to which I agree.

However, my original 'abstract' question was, what constitutes in their respective shapes (by just looking at the outlines) that we 'correctly' or should I say 'predictably' categorize 1 shape as 'Van' while other as 'SUV' and not any other way. That is what I am trying to understand.

Hope my question makes sense and I am able to get thru' to at least some here on the forum as to what I am trying to ask.
Attached Images

Old 11th December 2015, 03:06   #177
BHPian

Default Mahindra XUV500 with 6-Speed Automatic in 2015. EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 15...

Quote:
However, my original 'abstract' question was, what constitutes in their respective shapes (by just looking at the outlines) that we 'correctly' or should I say 'predictably' categorize 1 shape as 'Van' while other as 'SUV' and not any other way. .

Notice the angle of the hood. Flatter and higher in the SUV.

Also slightest difference in the ground clearance.

That said there are lot of other factors, for eg. The upcoming BR-V, due to its length looks midway between an SUV and a VAN/MPV.
Old 11th December 2015, 08:06   #178
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (14)

Quote:
Hope my question makes sense and I am able to get thru' to at least some here on the forum as to what I am trying to ask.
Hello geotracks,
No offense meant - what I meant was simply this: the terms SUV, MUV, X-over, soft-roader etc. are fairly recent additions to our Indian auto lexicon.
In a country which is not yet fully out of its Ambassador/Premier hangover, these terms would, expectedly, need time to percolate down our automotive subconscious!

We have been using an SUV since 1996 (the Tata Sierra, a two-door atrocity which we thoroughly enjoyed for years gallivanting all over the country) and currently drive a Scorpio, which too we have been running with great satisfaction for over 10 years. In my humble view, the first requirement for an SUV is that it be at least RWD if not AWD/4WD and that it should have, preferably, body-on-frame construction rather than a monocoque(which would take it into X-over/soft-roader territory). The other characteristics (boxy looks vs curvaceous van-esque appearance), high G.C., nice approach & departure angles etc. are more icing on the cake! As Dirty Dan put it excellently elsewhere in these columns - 'it makes one feel more manly & awes de hell outa de womens!' (No offense meant to our members from the opposite sex, I take serious pride in my non-MCP status)
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 12:43   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
You mean W8 & W10, as W6 doesn't has AT yet.

There is no AT in Scorpio S6. AT is available only in one variant, which is S10 (both 2WD & 4 WD)
W10 version in the XUV500 was introduced only a few months back. Initially there was only W6 and W8 and later a cheaper W4 version came up.
The Automatic test vehicles have been seen on roads for over two years, and the oldest one is a TN-19 registered W6, initial test runs for the 2WD were Chennai to Pune and back. Another MH-15 registered Automatic W8-4X4 test vehicle also used to do a run from Chennai to Bangalore Hyderabad, Nagpur, Gwalior right upto Manali through Rohtang - Srinagar to Jaipur Surat Nashik and Pune.

The fact is I was expecting M&M to do something like the Creta, and introduce the Auto only in W6 and W8 and not in the newer W10 as no W10 test vehicle was seen.
Even now I have high hopes that once production stabilizes, W-8 AWD and W-6 FWD will be launched.

Rahul

Last edited by Rahul Rao : 11th December 2015 at 12:49.
Old 11th December 2015, 13:20   #180
BHPian

Just an update. I had registered for a TD when the product was launched. I got a call from Mahindra today asking if I was given any updates. When I said that I am still awaiting a call for the TD, the Mahindra executive updated me that due to some technical glitch in the car, the cars have not reached the showroom and will reach the showroom probably next week and if not then, positively by the first week of Jan.

When asked, if that means that there would be no deliveries this month, she said that all our customers are insisting that they get the car in 2016 and not 2015, hence they have considered this feedback and will start deliveries only next month!
Closed Thread