Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 11th December 2015, 14:10   #181
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 with 6-Speed Automatic in 2015. EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 15.53 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
In a country which is not yet fully out of its Ambassador/Premier hangover, these terms would, expectedly, need time to percolate down our automotive subconscious!

In my humble view, the first requirement for an SUV is that it be at least RWD if not AWD/4WD and that it should have, preferably, body-on-frame construction rather than a monocoque(which would take it into X-over/soft-roader territory). The other characteristics (boxy looks vs curvaceous van-esque appearance), high G.C., nice approach & departure angles etc. are more icing on the cake!
Thanks shashanka. I think you've put it very aptly. Makes much more sense now.

The "body-on-frame construction rather than a monocoque & The other characteristics (boxy looks vs curvaceous van-esque appearance)"; are very good observations and resonates well with what a SUV ought to be.
Old 12th December 2015, 10:15   #182
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 with 6-Speed Automatic in 2015. EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 15.53 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush46 View Post
Will this coasting feature put more pressure to the brakes simply because there is no engine braking ? This means shorter life for brake pads and other components ?

Yes but this is the least among the problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by differential View Post
Could some one explain the pros and cons of this feature please. And would the braking be adversely affected by this.
Quote:
Correct me if i am wrong, I have a bit less knowledge about this coasting feature; I have driven the captiva quite a lot and currently drive the fortuner ( both automatics ) and I think both of them too have coasting feature as rpm fall down as soon as one lifts off the accelerator but i don't think this creates any problem .
What kind of cons does this feature have ?
In fortuner you come to idle with the vehicle in Neutral. In Captiva the transmission upshifts and keeps the RPM slightly lower, but the engine remains engaged.
Descending ghats, or while on a slope during off roading the Captiva behaviour helps you keep the vehicle in control without braking too much.
The upshift when you get your foot off the throttle is necessary. If it does not happen the engine braking may cause rear wheels to loose traction on black ice or on wet roads.

Rahul

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th December 2015 at 19:36. Reason: Fixing quotes.
Old 12th December 2015, 19:27   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Yes but this is the least among the problems.
Quote:
In fortuner you come to idle with the vehicle in Neutral. In Captiva the transmission upshifts and keeps the RPM slightly lower, but the engine remains engaged.
Descending ghats, or while on a slope during off roading the Captiva behaviour helps you keep the vehicle in control without braking too much.
The upshift when you get your foot off the throttle is necessary. If it does not happen the engine braking may cause rear wheels to loose traction on black ice or on wet roads.
Thanks for the information buddy.

Umm. Problems ? What all problems does this coasting feature creates. Can you please elaborate ?
Old 15th December 2015, 11:05   #184
BHPian

Guys, Carwale have posted their review and the engine coasting feature has been particularly pointed out. I will need to test drive this before I make any comments on it. The below review says, the engine comes to idle the moment you lift your foot off the accelerator pedal even in the manual mode!

http://www.carwale.com/mahindra-cars...reviews-20896/
Old 15th December 2015, 21:31   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Just today while driving the automatic fortuner, i noticed a thing and a question came to my mind.

I was stuck in traffic jam and as any usual automatic car all I was doing was lifting my foot from the brake pedal a bit to move the car forward.

Now my question is, if the automatic fortuner has the coasting feature, how can this happen, because as per my understanding of coasting feature, the car would be in neutral if i am not pressing accelerator, but the car was moving forward by only slightly lifting from brake, that means it was in gear.
Old 15th December 2015, 21:40   #186
BHPian

@ Piyush46
Once you stop or are below 10kph or so the car is always in 1st gear, it is at higher speeds that once you get your foot of the accelerator the engine comes to idle and car is in Neutral coasting at the speed it is in.
In fact Hyundai has found something inbetween for their 6 speed box, where if you are above 30 the transmission remains engaged and engine doesnt come to idle, but if you are below 30 it dis engages and idles. Once used to it , it actually helps in traffic, just pulse and coast.
Decending a steap gradient in a AT where transmission remains engaged, you can just select a lower ratio manually and let the engine keep speed in control. In cars where engine comes to an idle you have to be dependent on brakes.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 19:58   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Just today while driving the automatic fortuner, i noticed a thing and a question came to my mind.

I was stuck in traffic jam and as any usual automatic car all I was doing was lifting my foot from the brake pedal a bit to move the car forward.

Now my question is, if the automatic fortuner has the coasting feature, how can this happen, because as per my understanding of coasting feature, the car would be in neutral if i am not pressing accelerator, but the car was moving forward by only slightly lifting from brake, that means it was in gear.
With the little experience that I have in driving automatics, what I understand is that once you lift the foot off the accelerator, the gear disengages and the vehicle coasts. However, as the speed reduces, the gears also keep changing to ensure that if at any point you press the accelerator, the car is in the right gear to take off from where you want it to, rather than hunt for the right gear.

What you have described, seems more to be a creep mode if you were going in a traffic jam, and according to what I described above, the car would be crawling in the first gear. It would never happen when the car is in D and you don't step on the accelerator that the car would not move, it would go ahead at the lowest possible rpm on the first gear.
Old 16th December 2015, 21:50   #188
BHPian

@Piyush46 Whenever you have time just take a test drive of a Santafe or a Creta, and see how the engine behaves when you get your foot of the accelerator. Also manually shift down and control speed using only the gearbox. Try this on a descent after a fly over and see how comfortable your drive is.
Old 16th December 2015, 23:27   #189
BHPian

Quote:
What you have described, seems more to be a creep mode if you were going in a traffic jam, and according to what I described above, the car would be crawling in the first gear.
Quote:
Whenever you have time just take a test drive of a Santafe or a Creta, and see how the engine behaves when you get your foot of the accelerator.
Thanks for your prompt inputs to help me with my doubts.

Sure thing @rahul sir, I myself am looking forward to test drive these cars but not able to spare time for it.
Old 16th December 2015, 23:42   #190
BHPian

Test Drive Experience W 10 Auto

With the VW scandal, I was looking for an Auto in places other than VW. The XUV was introduced and I was following up with the dealer. Today I got to TD the vehicle. While you can’t get close enough to any T-Bhp official TD report (which I am hoping will come soon) I want to present my observations and findings.
The vehicle was a brand new W10 Auto.

I need to appreciate the sales guy for following up with me for past 3 days and waiting for me until late evening to give me a TD.

The visible changes

The changes: The rest of the vehicle remains the same, except for the omission of the push button smart start and stop. This is the only visible exclusion. The other two are not visible viz. the brake force regeneration and the micro hybrid like auto start and stop (this is connected to the clutch action).
The obvious changes are in the auto transmission lever and the foot well.

Mahindra XUV500 with 6-Speed Automatic in 2015. EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 15.53 lakh-1.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 with 6-Speed Automatic in 2015. EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 15.53 lakh-img_0747.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 with 6-Speed Automatic in 2015. EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 15.53 lakh-img_0748.jpg

Observations

1. The Gear level is not highlighted. The background lighting remains blue all the time. You can see this in the D and the R position. You will need to switch on the internal lights (when its dark), or may be get used to the position by habit. I would think this is basic feature they have missed.

2. The gear lever is quite tall considering the low position on the gear floor and also considering the height of the armrest. The armrest height can’t be adjusted (like the Vento).

3. The brake pedal is sufficiently wide and the position of the A and B pedals are good. There is no confusion or ergonomic issues here.

4. The foot rest is wide and tall. You can see my size 10 shoes there comfortably placed. During the drive there was no fatigue due to wrong angle or position

5. The seat adjustment (electric in the W10) works well to suit for an Auto, where you are firmly footed in the left leg.

6. The handbrake does not interfere in the gear operation.

All in the all the ergonomics of the gear lever, the pedals and the seat together are well adjusted and will work for people with varying heights

The Drive

The gear lever is easy to operate, while in P mode turn the key and the engine comes to life, typical XUV sound, no changes there. Slot into reverse R and lift the leg off the brake, the car takes a fraction of a second to think and then moves slowly. No need to accelerate, it’s very slow and steady, you might also rev it up a bit if you want to make it quick. The camera and the bending indicators work well and taking the car out of the parking lot was no trouble.

Shift to D which is smooth (this was a vehicle that did less than 200 in the ODO so it was smooth, need to see that overtime) and the vehicle again takes a fraction of second before it starts to crawl. The D slot is the bottom most and even without the light indicators it’s not difficult to reach there. There is a D and a M mode. More on that later. The vehicle starts to crawl really smoothly, no jerks and panic. Press the throttle and the response initially is almost instant. No noticeable lag. You can safely move with confidence. While you start to move it almost upshifts into 2. If you keep the throttle on you can feel the gears change, but if you are light footed you will not notice it. Unlike an AMT where you can count the shifts, nor like the DSG where you can’t make out much. You will feel it shift only if you stress it and the normal city driving (which I did for a majority of the ride) you will not notice.

Mahindra XUV500 with 6-Speed Automatic in 2015. EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 15.53 lakh-2.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 with 6-Speed Automatic in 2015. EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 15.53 lakh-3.jpg

Some points to note

1. The D mode only shows D and not the gear engaged.

2. In the manual mode it shows the gears you are in, so to check the current gear in D mode I was occasionally shifting to M to see what the car is running in. Not that this is needed in the D mode, but personally I would have loved to see something like D1, D2 etc.

3. There is no S mode and D1 and D2 mode.

4. You will need to use the M mode for the S type of driving and use the hill descent ( a button on the lower part of the dash, see picture 1 where it is engaged) for a D2 style with more wheel control.
The manual mode can be engaged by pushing the lever left, where it reads M (see the picture). The way to change the gear is to use the switch with your left thumb. Pull back to shift down and push forward to shift up. In M mode it will drop gears to keep the car running. While I did not check if red-lining it will shift up, in the test drive the car did not shift up in the M mode. Since the engine is free revving if you are in M Mode you will feel the engine crying to remind you to either shift up or push to D mode. There is change in the vehicle dynamics when you shift from D to M, so you can keep playing with it. The gear changes were correct most of the time and rather the car is very eager to shift up. I was waiting at a signal and then we started when the lights went green, there were a lot of cars in the front and so I was not able to dash. While we reached the next signal not 50 meters away (don’t you love Bangalore!), I shifted to M mode to check the gear and it read 4. So is shifts up very quickly, fully making use of the torque.

In the whole drive the car quickly tries to get to 4 and hold it as long as it can. I assume this will help the fuel efficiency of 13 to stand true. The sales rep said that they are getting 13 in the city, since car has done less than 200 kms that might be a little too early to claim. I am assuming it will be close to 13.

I am a sedan guy and the XUV in itself (auto or otherwise) is in itself a change, so the following observation on the drive need to be substantiated with your personal experience.

1. The acceleration is very good and the shifts are timely. I left the steering give away a bit, when you dash, but that I am hoping is more due to the tall boy design (compared to a sedan) or sheer torque. It took a couple of times to hold on hard onto the steering while you rev.

2. The gear drops while you take a turn, as you slow down and then accelerate after you complete it was excellent. In the city it will be real breeze to drive this. The last week I, on purpose test drove the manual XUV and the comfort in the Auto version is miles ahead. A lot of the apprehensions on the XUV drive feel changes in this (partially as your left foot is grounded, and may be it gives you a feeling of less body roll).

3. Coasting: While is being discussed, you don’t tend to notice it while its doing it. Partially because the vehicle upshifts to 4 and holds on, so just before you coast there is already little engine braking you feel, as you are already in the overdrive and so you just feel a bit more extra smooth in the drive. When you break, you will feel a slight shift from free to stiffness, it’s very subtle, but you will feel it. I am also guessing this could be a suv drive thing, since I always drive a sedan, where you are always planted.

4. Down shift is not very noticeable and there are not jerks

Overall feeling

I think the Auto in the XUV should have been there from day one. It creates a different feeling of the car and not a hard metal box to drive around. While the price diff of 1 L over the manual might be a bit too steep just for a tranny, look at what options you have? There is no D Auto in the Corolla. The Jetta and the Octavia are 40% more expensive. The Elantra and the Cruze are not really a right alternative. The Scorpio is too congested, the Storme has no Auto, the Fortuner is way over budget. So the XUV auto retains the same value feeling the XUV did. If you have the heart for a Mahindra then this is the only option, unless you drop down to a Vento/City Auto (which is rare, if you have made a 2 million budget plan for a car). The vehicle will cost you 16.5 L ex show room and in BLR 20.3 on the road.

I guess there will be a few manual to auto converts of the XUV especially 3 year olds.

Mahindra XUV500 with 6-Speed Automatic in 2015. EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 15.53 lakh-img_0753.jpg

Would I buy it? He, he. I will wait for the official review to cement my analysis. Hope you folks find this useful.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd December 2015 at 15:10. Reason: Language. Too many errors. Please check before submission. Thanks
man_and_machine is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 21:45   #191
BHPian

Did you try the hill descent switch and see how it functions, or did you get an explanation from the SA about that.
Now that the car is available for test drive can one of our moderators write a mini review in Test drive and initial ownership reports.

Rahul
Old 17th December 2015, 21:50   #192
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
What, are you serious?

You think a layman cares about the gearbox engaging/disengaging while coasting?! Do people even know that a Fortuner and a Verna does that and that is the reason for it's failure (both of them are a decent success by the way)...?

Customer - I am interested in the XUV A/T
Salesman - Sure sir, let us have a TD
Customer - Does the gearbox disengage while coasting?
Salesman - Err... Yes Sir!
Customer - Sorry, not interested.

I do not see the above happening my friend!
Hello Raj_5004,
While Rahul Rao has my sympathies, I think you have nailed the issue fair and square. I have never driven an auto. But I have been using body on frame SUVs from '96. And for a country where the Ambassador and Premier Padmini are still quite visible on the roads for daily commuting, terms like torque convertors (I wonder how many actually know the working nuts & bolts of a TC), DSGs, AMTs are of academic/peripheral interest for the overwhelming majority of car owners/drivers. Therefore to expect M&M (or other mfrs for that matter) to be seriously interested in the views of a small minority (albeit knowledgeable) is, I fear, being optimistic. It is rather like discussing the pros & cons of the Torsen diff. over the Haldex unit in AWD vehicles, when the Maruti Gypsy is still going strong in domestic rallying!
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 17:56   #193
BHPian

Booked a silver (they discontinued my favorite blue) XUV500 FWD W10 Automatic. May get it in the first lot.
Jo-G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 19:02   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-G View Post
Booked a silver (they discontinued my favorite blue) XUV500 FWD W10 Automatic. May get it in the first lot.
Dear Jo-G,

Congrats!

I have the same model in my radar. I would highly appreciate your inputs on why and how you chose this, the booking experience and the ownership experience.

I hope to decide around 1 Apr 2016.

By the way, what city are you in?

Thanking you in advance,

Girish Mahajan
Old 20th December 2015, 21:36   #195
BHPian

excellent observations Man_and_Machine. Your keen explanations are good points for others to consider this car. I myself am considering this, after my car is damaged in chennai flood and awaiting Insurance estimate. If the car is considered as total loss, I am looking at XUV auto.

No test drive or display vehicle in Chennai yet. expected next week. Dealers promise delivery within 1 month even for AWD AT
Closed Thread