Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 21st December 2015, 10:40   #196
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 with 6-Speed Automatic in 2015. EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 15.53 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskar View Post
If the car is considered as total loss, I am looking at XUV auto.
I am really sorry to hear that. I hope you get your wheels back in good shape and drive worthy. I hear some brands (Maruti at-least) is offering extra support for flood affected cars.

I also sincerely hope you also add the XUV AT to your stable.

If you visit BLR over the holidays you could test drive one. The lead time now seems to hover around one and a half months with white being in demand. I am hoping that the NCR allotments might be redirected down south (I feel sorry for fellow Bhp-ians in NCR, one whammy after the other).
Old 21st December 2015, 16:27   #197
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 with 6-Speed Automatic in 2015. EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 15.53 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Dear Jo-G,
Congrats!
I have the same model in my radar. I would highly appreciate your inputs on why and how you chose this, the booking experience and the ownership experience.
By the way, what city are you in?
Girish Mahajan
Thanks GK, well I am in Bangalore but keep shuttling between Kerala and Bangalore. Earlier it was between Chennai, Bangalore and Kerala and always prefer to drive anywhere and everywhere I can. Recently did a Bangalore Mumbai via Pune in 12 Hrs on a Chevy Rocket (Cruise).

Back to your question, well for the color, my favorite was the Blue they had introduced earlier but discontinued now, so the closest was Silver. I was in the Middle East earlier and there I had a Honda Civic (MT) and Honda Pilot aka MRV (AT) and when I came back to India in 2006, I was in search of a good Automatic diesel but unfortunately they were only available on high end cars. So narrowed down to Scorpio, Safari, Innova in that order. All 3 were a disappointment probably after driving a 240 BHP MRV they may have felt under-powered (perceptions) moreover, the test Innova I got was very noisy and the vibrating long gear lever reminded me of our old Fargo and Leyland buses of yester years. So I came down to cars and Fiesta was the first car i took a test drive and in spite of low numbers on the spec sheet, I liked the thrust and power delivery of the Fiesta which was phenomenon and the shape too was very appealing. Since then I have been following every new SUV that was launched. Was almost inclined to falling for the Endeavor AT in 2010 but held on and then XUV was a great attraction (but no AT) Meanwhile did test drives on Pajero Sport, Fortuner, Rexton etc. but the price-value ratio was not falling in place to my income. So decided to wait for either Hexa or XUV Automatic. Then came the Creta and TUV, Creta ruled out due to the price-space (when spending that amount I would prefer to take an extended family or friends on short drives) and TUV scored big on that front with its AMT and price which can also be a sever seater if need be. Though I liked the low end torque and the punch of TUV, I was also hurt on the forehead (with a decent bulge) while opening the front door (bad design concept) Finally saw the launch of XUV AT and did not wait anymore, went ahead and booked one. Did a test drive on 17th @ Sireesh, Silk Board. Very impressed by the overall machine, though there can be a lot of improvements like the sound insulation or NVH, Push Button Start/Stop etc. on W10 or higher variants. I liked the power delivery which was good and very nice gear ratios which was decently linear. Breaking was also very decent. Did not feel any issue with coasting. Overall impressed by the choice.
Jo-G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 16:58   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-G View Post
Thanks GK, well I am in Bangalore but keep shuttling between Kerala and Bangalore. Earlier it was between Chennai, Bangalore and Kerala and always prefer to drive anywhere and everywhere I can. Recently did a Bangalore Mumbai via Pune in 12 Hrs on a Chevy Rocket (Cruise).

Back to your question, well for the color, my favorite was the Blue they had introduced earlier but discontinued now, so the closest was Silver. I was in the Middle East earlier and there I had a Honda Civic (MT) and Honda Pilot aka MRV (AT) and when I came back to India in 2006, I was in search of a good Automatic diesel but unfortunately they were only available on high end cars. So narrowed down to Scorpio, Safari, Innova in that order. All 3 were a disappointment probably after driving a 240 BHP MRV they may have felt under-powered (perceptions) moreover, the test Innova I got was very noisy and the vibrating long gear lever reminded me of our old Fargo and Leyland buses of yester years. So I came down to cars and Fiesta was the first car i took a test drive and in spite of low numbers on the spec sheet, I liked the thrust and power delivery of the Fiesta which was phenomenon and the shape too was very appealing. Since then I have been following every new SUV that was launched. Was almost inclined to falling for the Endeavor AT in 2010 but held on and then XUV was a great attraction (but no AT) Meanwhile did test drives on Pajero Sport, Fortuner, Rexton etc. but the price-value ratio was not falling in place to my income. So decided to wait for either Hexa or XUV Automatic. Then came the Creta and TUV, Creta ruled out due to the price-space (when spending that amount I would prefer to take an extended family or friends on short drives) and TUV scored big on that front with its AMT and price which can also be a sever seater if need be. Though I liked the low end torque and the punch of TUV, I was also hurt on the forehead (with a decent bulge) while opening the front door (bad design concept) Finally saw the launch of XUV AT and did not wait anymore, went ahead and booked one. Did a test drive on 17th @ Sireesh, Silk Board. Very impressed by the overall machine, though there can be a lot of improvements like the sound insulation or NVH, Push Button Start/Stop etc. on W10 or higher variants. I liked the power delivery which was good and very nice gear ratios which was decently linear. Breaking was also very decent. Did not feel any issue with coasting. Overall impressed by the choice.
Dear Jo-G,

Thanks for the prompt response - and that too such a detailed response. I am looking forward to your own thread!

I hope the TUV injury is recovered!

The difference between the automatic Scorpio and XUV 500 - is it perceptible? Both are the same engine with 20 HP difference with the same AT boxes. In case of the manuals at least there is a gear difference. So, I was wondering - why not the Scorpio AT?

What configuration of seats did you choose? Did you go for Captain seats? I am extremely curious.

What is your opinion of women driving this beast? I had got my wife to do a TD of Scorpio AT. I could not get her into the driving seat of a XUV manual.

I hope you do not think I am asking too many questions! Please accept my apologies in advance.

That does not mean I will stop asking questions! After all, a fool (like me) can ask more questions that a wise man (like you) can answer!

Girish Mahajan
Old 21st December 2015, 21:45   #199
BHPian

Quote:
The difference between the automatic Scorpio and XUV 500 - is it perceptible? Both are the same engine with 20 HP difference with the same AT boxes. In case of the manuals at least there is a gear difference. So, I was wondering - why not the Scorpio AT?
The engine tune and gearboxes are different, and the Scorpio AT is a chassis on body with lot of body roll while the XUV is a monocoque.
The Scorpio also has a vintage DSI gearbox, while the XUV one is one of the latest from Aisin Seiko of Japan.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 12:41   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Jo-G,
What configuration of seats did you choose? Did you go for Captain seats? I am extremely curious.

What is your opinion of women driving this beast? I had got my wife to do a TD of Scorpio AT. I could not get her into the driving seat of a XUV manual.
Girish Mahajan
I think Rahul has already touched on the basic difference between Scorpio AT and XUV AT. I found the Scorpio to have a higher body roll while XUV gives a better confidence on that front.

I am not aware of any seating configuration change or offered on XUV. It is all forward facing bench seats.

My major intention for this AT is to get my wife drive it as well. Though she drives my Fiesta on highways, she is not very confident in the city and hence my attempt to get her behind the wheels and enjoy the "clutchless" convenience. I would recommend XUV over Scorpio for the ladies. It does give a better confidence.

By the way we are all here to share our knowledge and gain from others experience so asking question doesn't make anyone a fool nor answering makes anyone wise. I find this forum to have very knowledgeable people in different aspects of the auto world and gain lot of information and knowledge from other bhpians out here. So no worries, keep shooting questions and if not me there would be many to help you. Moreover I believe that when you spend money, it is always wise to do a thorough research before taking any decision.
Jo-G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 13:32   #201
BHPian

Dear Jo-G,

Quote:
I found the Scorpio to have a higher body roll while XUV gives a better confidence on that front.
Interesting observation. I had tried both and I was not able to sense this. Maybe because this was my early exposure to both.

Quote:
My major intention for this AT is to get my wife drive it as well. Though she drives my Fiesta on highways, she is not very confident in the city and hence my attempt to get her behind the wheels and enjoy the "clutchless" convenience. I would recommend XUV over Scorpio for the ladies. It does give a better confidence.
That is useful information. My wife is all for automatic. She just does not feel comfortable with the size of the UVs. Surprisingly, she had felt more confidence with the Scorpio vis-a-vis the XUV!

Quote:
By the way we are all here to share our knowledge and gain from others experience so asking question doesn't make anyone a fool nor answering makes anyone wise. I find this forum to have very knowledgeable people in different aspects of the auto world and gain lot of information and knowledge from other bhpians out here. So no worries, keep shooting questions and if not me there would be many to help you. Moreover I believe that when you spend money, it is always wise to do a thorough research before taking any decision.
That is a very generous statement to make. Thank you so much. I will take you up on this!

Girish Mahajan

--------------------------------------------------

Dear Rahul Rao,

I would like to thank you too for your invaluable inputs.
Now I have the tough task of showing these posts to my wife. Wish me luck!

Girish Mahajan

Last edited by GKMahajan : 22nd December 2015 at 13:34.
Old 22nd December 2015, 13:45   #202
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Test Drove the XUV AT & MT & Scorpio AT & MT back to back to back to back along with some more (for another day) just for the fun of it. Am not buying right now.

My controversial take would be.

If Buying the XUV buy the AT
- leagues ahead of the MT in terms of the overall experience. -ves for me were mainly the feel of the key which is much inferior to the W10 MT key, this is lost along with the Start Stop Button and the Brake Regeneration. Don't care too much for Start Stop Button nor for Brake Regeneration. But the key is the most missed, it makes a 20L Rs. car seem much cheaper and it is something one has in close proximity for long periods. Maybe one can buy this key separately later. Ones left leg doesn't keep touching the steering rod like in the manual (especially true for taller persons with large feet).
AT also felt more peppy than the Manual and the absence of changing gears added to the experience.

If Buying the Scorpio buy the MT. The experience was diametrically opposite to that of the XUV. The MT felt a lot more peppy the engine power was muted by the AT which made it feel sluggish. With the AT I felt the ruggedness feeling being lost somehow. Can't put my finger on what exactly causes this but one feels more in control in the MT with the Scorpio, unlike with the XUV where the AT wins. Love the MT version of the Scorpio over the AT.

The XUV and Scorpio address different requirements. XUV is much more refined and the AT makes it even more so. The Scorpio feels more rugged but the AT takes away from this and instead the MT adds to that feel. That said the Scorpio AT and XUV MT both meet certain requirements just not that of a person like me.

Ohh for better plastics
. The TUV300 has much better interiors than both (But relatively no power), and so will the KUV100. Sad and Dumb. Both Scorpio and XUV need a quality, touch & feel refresh for the Dashboard, Door Trims and Centre console. TUV300 Interior quality XUV500 AT features & Engine would be ideal for Mahindra.

Mod Note: Our XUV500 AT Report has been taken live at this link (Mahindra XUV500 Automatic : Official Review). Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Last edited by GTO : 23rd December 2015 at 16:54. Reason: Adding link to review :)
ACM is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread