Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 1st December 2013, 08:17   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
After reading your post, i enquired about the suspension maintenance of Ritz Vdi from a friendly mechanic(he owns a Bosch authorized service centre and a Maruti ASC).

His Vdi has done around 70k, and he is not always kind to the accelerator and the brakes, yet he hasn't touched the suspension,except for a bush(cost:Rs.25).
It all boils down how you drive around on highways and crater type roads. Kindness to the accelerator where needed if followed then I don't see a need for a suspension change. The rubber parts must have to be given attention as preventive maintenance.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 16:16   #92
BHPian

Default Re: Your new cars suspension: How long should it last on our roads?

I have had mixed experience with Suspension work which are as follows:

1.) 2005 Corolla now sold: front jumpers changed at 90000 kms and the rear ones too where on their last legs when I sold the car at 105000 kms.

2.) Company car indica needed suspension overhaul recently at 80000 kms.

3.) Maruti SX4 needed everything changed except jumpers at 80000 kms. Estimate given was close to 40k with labour. The car was a March 2009 purchase.

Hence I feel somewhere between 80 to 100k suspension work is inevitable in our country.
abs182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 16:33   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esma1981 View Post
Does the suspension life increase as the car segment goes higher or stays the same at 40/50k? Would love to see a comparison of suspension life between different car segments given the same driving situation and style.
I believe it stays the same form experience.
Our W211 E270 needed suspension work around the time we sold it (85Kkm), and the E60 5 series that has run 55Kkm is on the stock suspension barring one component that had to be changed owing to a combination of age (8 years) and possibly a bad bump.
In comparison, our Fiesta suspension worked perfectly till 80Kkm of hard driving and multiple users - requiring marginal work, with a lot of the stock components in place till when we sold it (at 98Kkm).
However, in the case of the Skoda - i am not sure it will last this long. Already had to get some minor front suspension work carried out on the Laura. (48Kkm).
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 17:21   #94
BHPian

Our optra had done 1,07000 kms and yet to get any suspension work/replacement. It was driven 90% of the time in near non existent roads. Though,during 1,05000 service, A.S.S didn't say anything about replacing them,I personally feel that they are worn out as the ride in bad roads makes the car jump like a bullock cart (only my opinion though). But I gave the benefit of my doubt to it because even the service centre guys solely aimed at extracting money and making customers replace at the slightest sign of a malfunction have certified it as fine.
P. S: The car rides on stock spec new yoko c drives for last 10000 kms and nitrogen set at 32 psi all around.
printh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2015, 01:30   #95
CDM
BHPian

My Innova had the rear shockers changed for the first time at 1,69,000 km. the front shockers had been changed around a 1,20,000 km but had to be replaced again along with rear ones since one of the front shockers had leaked.

CDM
CDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2015, 05:44   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

AFAIK and IIRC, my Ritz didn't have anything touched/changed with respect to Suspension components till it was in my hands when I sold it off at 1.1L kms (<3 years).

As per MASS, my Ritz (with its new owner) is currently at 1.7L kms and has had rear suspension changed. Front suspension parts are still going strong.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 11:18   #97
BHPian

I recently sold my 6 yr 80000 kms sx4. The reason for sale was that the shock absorbers all 4 of them were calling out for replacement. Same is the case with our company Indica Vista which will be sold now as the car is also in need for shock absorbers replacement. It too is at 80000 kms.

Last edited by abs182 : 8th November 2015 at 11:22.
abs182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 11:59   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
I recently sold my 6 yr 80000 kms sx4. The reason for sale was that the shock absorbers all 4 of them were calling out for replacement. Same is the case with our company Indica Vista which will be sold now as the car is also in need for shock absorbers replacement. It too is at 80000 kms.
Hello abs182,
What symptoms did you notice when the suspension became due for replacement? How much cost was quoted by MASS for the material and labour?

My SX4 has clocked around 52000 km so far, carefully driven. So far I do not notice any problems. But I would like to be aware of the symptoms and the budget beforehand.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 14:00   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hello abs182,
What symptoms did you notice when the suspension became due for replacement? How much cost was quoted by MASS for the material and labour?

My SX4 has clocked around 52000 km so far, carefully driven. So far I do not notice any problems. But I would like to be aware of the symptoms and the budget beforehand.
Well honestly that too was a company driven car so by the time I was made aware of it I was told that the front suspensions were making noise when they were going above potholes. I got a quote of about 35 to 40k from outside mechanic. And if the parts are not sourced from Maruti about half of that. Hope it helps.
abs182 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 19:16   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hello abs182,

The shock absorbers dampen the up/down movement. When they go bad, the suspension will oscillate. For example if the front left is gone, then firmly press the front left down till the car is fully depressed and release it. The car should come up smoothly with no overshoot, if the shock is bad the front will come up and go down a bit. If they are fully bust then it will go up and down a number of times.

Last edited by Aroy : 8th November 2015 at 19:17.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 19:33   #101
BHPian

My Skoda Octavia at 175,000 hasn't got any components in its suspension changed, yet is going strong. The damning has slightly reduced, but the suspension still is doing its job commendably. Considering its only been driven on smooth NCR tarmac, I guess that helped elongate its life. Expecting it to work flawlessly for another 30-40 thousand kilo-meters. In fact, the cars clutch or clutch plate has never been replaced as well. It a true brute and works like a charm.
prakhar1998 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2015, 01:42   #102
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
80k kms is low for an SX4 and implies either rough use or use on rough roads. That said suspension can be renewed and become close to new just like changing brake pads or clutch and this is really not a sufficient reason to replace the car.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2015, 07:23   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The shock absorbers need replacement is not reason enough for selling a car. Perhaps the front lower beams and steering tie rod ends may also need to be replaced. Replacement of struts & shockers along with the other components can definitely make the car a lot more silent on even broken tarmac.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote