Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th August 2016, 13:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Rumour: Honda CR-V Diesel coming in 2015. EDIT: Imported for R&D

Honda CR-V Diesel imported into India for R&D

Thank you to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts!

A single unit of the Honda CR-V Diesel has been imported into India for R&D purpose. A Zauba search reveals that a white coloured CR-V Diesel arrived in India on the 16th August from the United Kingdom.

The Zauba data further mentions that the imported model is powered by a 1.6-litre diesel engine. In the European markets, the CR-V is offered with this 1,597 cc i-DTEC diesel engine, which is available in two states of tune: 118 BHP and 300 Nm of torque, and 158 BHP and 350 Nm of torque. This engine is mated to either a 6-speed manual or a 9-speed automatic transmission.

India is expected to get the 118 BHP rated 1.6-litre diesel engine with a 6-speed manual gearbox. It will likely be available with a two-wheel drive setup.

Once launched, the Honda CR-V Diesel will go in head-on competition against the upcoming Hyundai Tucson and the Jeep C-SUV which is expected to be launched in India next year.

Honda CR-V Diesel coming? EDIT: Now imported for R&D-unnamed.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 18th August 2016 at 13:11.
dZired is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 15:07   #17
BHPian

Default re: Honda CR-V Diesel coming? EDIT: Now imported for R&D

This must be the longest running joke ever! Every year we get very excited at the prospect of honda finally releasing the diesel CRV.

I can remember the Autocar list of potential new launches featuring this 'launch' for the last couple of years.
mayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 15:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Unless they're willing to undercut its petrol sibling's price tag by a good margin, I don't see how this thing will ever sell in India.

Why would someone want to pay ~30L OTR for this (probably more), considering one could have 80% of what this car offers for around 20 lacs? Refinement will also be a concern with the iDTEC.

As good a rep as CR-V may have amongst loyalists, it won't sell so dangerously close to Fortuner/Endeavour territory.

P.S. I did say in this very thread earlier that a small(er) engine alone shouldn't be a deal-breaker, but the market has moved on a lot since then. And I don't believe Honda will price this close(r) to 20 lacs anyway.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th August 2016 at 16:07.
Chetan_Rao is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 16:07   #19
BHPian

I don't think the current gen CR-V is going to get a diesel in India. The next gen CR-V is just two years away.

My guess is that they're testing this engine for use in their offerings above the City, like the Civic, HR-V, and possibly the next gen Accord and CR-V.

After this news, I firmly believe that the Civic will come with this 1.6 i-DTEC next year. I just hope that it's in the 158bhp tune though.

Also, I hope that the next gen City gets this 1.6 i-DTEC in the 118 bhp tune, leaving the 1.5 i-DTEC for the Amaze.

Last edited by Aaron:) : 18th August 2016 at 16:14.
Aaron:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 23:54   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
I don't think the current gen CR-V is going to get a diesel in India. The next gen CR-V is just two years away.
Current version of Honda CRV is in its fag end of the Life Cycle. May be Honda wants to bring the old dyes to India, manufacture the vehicle here and sell it for a premium.
Superleggera is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 08:49   #21
BHPian

AFAIK Honda is working on bringing the 7 seat version and DSL to India next year.
The extended version (7 seat) has already been testing in Europe
image source: Autoexpress
Attached Thumbnails
Honda CR-V Diesel coming? EDIT: Now imported for R&D-hondacrv003.jpg  

FIAT3031 is offline   Reply With Quote