Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 12th March 2017, 20:30   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Honda CR-V Diesel coming? EDIT: Now imported for R&D

Honda India has become really slow. If this were Maruti or Hyundai, this car would've already been spotted testing in India.

It's been really long since a Honda has been exciting and this car is just that. The cabin in particular looks properly luxurious. I'm loving the restrained, yet modern design. It looks half a segment higher than the Tucson, it's most direct rival. The 1.6 diesel should be sufficient since the CR-V will be a lot lighter than the likes of the Endeavour.

The CR-V still has great recall value in India and with the diesel and 7 seats, it has the potential to be a super hit even if priced alongside the Endeavour or Fortuner. Ideally though, they should price it just above the Tucson, and undercut the Fortuner.
Aaron:) is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2017, 22:36   #32
BHPian

What Honda needs to do is Position the CR-V as a Unique Product.

Actually, they don't have a SUV like Endeavour/Fortuner. Yes, they do have Pilot, but it's only available in select markets. So, the CR-V is thier Premium offering across the globe.

So, Honda India needs to up the game, they need to position the CR-V in-between the Tuscon & Endeavour.

They should make sure to launch only the 7 Seater version, this will give it an advantage over Tuscon. And this being a lighter car compared to Fortuner & Endeavour, it will appeal to buyers who prefer tarmac roads. From personal experience, On Highways, Monocoque SUVs behave very well compared to Ladder on Frame one's.

Now, Honda already has a Good Petrol Engine (2.4 iVTEC), which will be carried over. The Diesel though (Selling Point for SUV) should be the main highlight of this New CR-V. Honda should offer Manual in lower power guise (120 bhp) & Automatic in 160 BHP (AWD) guise with that smooth 9 Speed Gearbox. Both those diesel engines have Twin Turbo's, this will make it an all-rounder & will help widen it's appeal.

Lastly coming to price, Honda has already shown intent on Assembling this time with higher Localization. By doing this, they need to pass that benefit to the consumer. If they price it in region of Audi Q3/BMW X1/Merc GLA, then there is only one word for it "FAILURE", and I hope they don't mess with this car this time, because it's thier global bestseller & also an SUV. Everyone knows how much we love SUVs .
CarguyNish is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 00:04   #33
BANNED

My limited knowledge, but I think CRV is the only SUV that is a regular in the annual top 10 selling vehicles in the world. Other prominent rankers are Corolla, Camry, Civic, etc. It has no reason to be a lame duck in India, if it's is positioned right. I think Honda India management hasn't put the right efforts on CRV...
siddutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 09:55   #34
BHPian

Off late we hardly have seen winners under Honda badge particularly​ in India. The facelift versions struggled to impress and new model launches are failing apart miserably.

The sales figures for the only stable performer City also came down, as it is loosing space against the likes of Vento & Rapids.The recent diesel trend kept away the current CRVs from the potential buyers.

IMO, the lower specs 1.6L would not be an issue considering the facts that it is less heavier, monocoque and also would be preferred by on road buyers. They would be positioning this against Tucson.

CRV IDTEC is a crucial launch for Honda for sure. They have to get their calculations right this time, otherwise the survival itself would be in question considering the ongoing dynamics of the Indian market.
Cruiser_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 21:34   #35
Senior - BHPian

Honda CR-V launching in Thailand - March 24th.

Honda CR-V Diesel coming? EDIT: Now imported for R&D-crv_power_tailgate_handsfree.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2017, 20:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

Honda CR-V reviewed in Thailand prior to its upcoming launch,

Name:  HondaCRVThailand2.jpg
Views: 1783
Size:  408.7 KB
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1778
Size:  350.8 KB
Name:  CRV_gen5_TH_headlightmag_003_800px.jpg
Views: 1886
Size:  344.2 KB
Name:  CRV_gen5_TH_headlightmag_012_crop_800px.jpg
Views: 1775
Size:  369.1 KB
Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1760
Size:  379.8 KB
Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1729
Size:  299.2 KB

Honda CR-V 1.6 I-DTEC Diesel Turbo 9AT

Length of 4587 mm
Width 1855 mm
Height 1689 mm
Wheelbase 2660 mm
Ground Clearance 198-208 ( variant dependent)
0-100 km / h in 10.3 seconds (1.6 Diesel)
4WD is 10.9 seconds.

Quote:
Identical to the one in the United States, with the same optional LED headlights , an upswept D-pillar kink and L-shaped LED tail lights. The turbine-design 18-inch six-spoke alloy wheels
Although the basic interior architecture is the same, with a “floating” centre stack, a TFT LCD virtual instrument display and a Civic-style three-spoke steering wheel.
The biggest addition is a third row of seats, making it seven in total. Both the second- and third-row seats are reclinable, with the former also being able to be slid forwards and back as before. The second row also tumbles out of the way to provide access to the third row. As on US models, there are are air vents for the second row, but the third row gets its own vents in the roof.

The new range-topper is a 1.6 litre N16 DOHC i-DTEC turbodiesel from the outgoing European-market model, churning out 160 hp at 4,000 rpm and 350 Nm at 2,000 rpm. The oil burner is paired to a ZF nine-speed automatic gearbox. Both engines are available with all-wheel drive.
The other is a carryover 2.4 litre K24 naturally-aspirated DOHC i-VTEC four-cylinder petrol mill producing 175 hp at 6,200 rpm and 225 Nm at 4,000 rpm.
The engine is quiet at idle as the Mazda 2 1.5 Diesel, which became the Benchmark silence over BMW with engine noise, but the CR-V Diesel Turbo was quieter than the CX-5 2.2 Diesel
little enough to sit in the car. Barely hear the engine much. The responsiveness of the steering is light at low speeds..
Steering at high speed. Responsive steering feel that is more viscous and steering have greater confidence in near-Nissan X-Trail and the Mazda CX-5
The response of the brake pedal that is similar to the CR-V Gen 4, but with the increasing size of the four-wheel disc brakes, allowing the vehicle to increase speed slowed.
Down from the high-speed better than the original version.

Overall, the new CR-V was developed as a priority on par with competitors like the Nissan X-Trail and the Mazda CX-5 levels of satisfaction
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 15th March 2017 at 20:23.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 16:52   #37
BHPian

With the BRV competing against the Creta supposedly, the HRV will be pitted against the Tuscon, and the new CRV shall be up against the Santa Fe. I expect prices to rise by 2 lacs i hope theyre not more than that. It should not cost more than 35 lacs on road Mumbai otherwise its veering into German territory. Fingers crossed the 1.6 Diesel with 9 speed AT is brought to India and though the new tech AT box looks good i doubt its going to make it here, we might just get the regular AT with the shifter column (doesnt really make a difference to me personally), just wish it comes to India within 2017.
M00M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 17:13   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
though the new tech AT box looks good I doubt its going to make it here, we might just get the regular AT with the shifter column (doesnt really make a difference to me personally), just wish it comes to India within 2017.
Whether the new design of gearshift is useful, will be clear only after 'normal' folks start using it.
In April 2016, Fiat Chrysler recalled 800,000+ vehicles which had the new rocker-switch gearshift. Apparently, the owners thought the vehicle was in [P] and got off their vehicles. But the vehicle was in [N] and it rolled on

Link: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/f...d-the-shifter/
msdivy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 17:16   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Whether the new design of gearshift is useful, will be clear only after 'normal' folks start using it.
In April 2016, Fiat Chrysler recalled 800,000+ vehicles which had the new rocker-switch gearshift. Apparently, the owners thought the vehicle was in [P] and got off their vehicles. But the vehicle was in [N] and it rolled on

Link: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/f...d-the-shifter/
It humbles me to imagine i could use this in a CRV when it was previously being used in F1, Ferrari Road Cars, Maserati, etc.

Would love to have it but its not a deal breaker if it doesnt come. Just want the new CRV to come to India within this calender year.
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2017, 12:44   #40
Senior - BHPian

Honda CR-V 1.6 I-DTECH in Thailand,

Old 23rd March 2017, 11:38   #41
Senior - BHPian

2017 HONDA CR-V receives top safety pick+ award from IIHS.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has awarded the 2017 Honda CR-V with the Top Safety Pick+ rating, the highest award a vehicle can earn from the organization, which evaluates crash scores, front crash prevention systems, and headlights. Like the outgoing 2016 model, the 2017 CR-V earned a Good score on all crash tests including the difficult small overlap test.

Old 23rd March 2017, 12:06   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
It humbles me to imagine i could use this in a CRV when it was previously being used in F1, Ferrari Road Cars, Maserati, etc.

Would love to have it but its not a deal breaker if it doesnt come. Just want the new CRV to come to India within this calender year.
Nothing humbling about it sir! Tech always flows down from higher segments to lower ones. Another example is paddle shifters, which were once the preserve of Formula one cars.

This diesel CRV is a long time coming. For years there has been no viable upgrade path (within Honda) for the thousands of owners of City/Civics, who were looking to move on to an SUV for their next car.

Hopefully Honda prices this well. Personally, it looks a bit too much like the BRV from outside to make me really want it. But hey, the badge says Honda so there is definitely some pull
mayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 15:09   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayjay View Post
Nothing humbling about it sir! Tech always flows down from higher segments to lower ones. Another example is paddle shifters, which were once the preserve of Formula one cars.

This diesel CRV is a long time coming. For years there has been no viable upgrade path (within Honda) for the thousands of owners of City/Civics, who were looking to move on to an SUV for their next car.

Hopefully Honda prices this well. Personally, it looks a bit too much like the BRV from outside to make me really want it. But hey, the badge says Honda so there is definitely some pull
I agree Tech flows down but its just too much of a shocker to have it in the CRV so quickly when USA doesnt get this. Anyways fingers crossed that the New Diesel 9 Speed AT with this box comes to India within 2017. If it does im in the que to get one of the first ones.

The interior of this is really nice . Feel like they've made an effort to keep it subtle and simple but still something.
Old 24th March 2017, 14:07   #44
Senior - BHPian

Honda CR-V launched in Thailand.

Petrol starts at ~26.5 lakhs to ~ 29.2 lakhs (4WD)

And the 1.6L diesel 2WD at ~29.2 lakhs with the 4WD at ~32 lakhs

Quote:
I-DTEC Commonrail 4-cylinder diesel engine 1.6 liters
Twin Turbo Couplings x Couplings: 76.0 x 88.0
Mm. Compression ratio 16.0: 1 Max power 160 PS (PS)
At 4,000 rpm, maximum torque is 350 Nm at 2,000 rpm.
Matched with 9-speed automatic transmission, the ZF is available as a two-wheel drive FWD.
And 4-wheel Real-time 4WD (comes with electric keypad)

Length x width x height: 4,571 x 1,855 x 1,657 - 1,667 mm
Wheelbase: 2,660 - 2,662 mm / Ground Clearance 198 - 208 mm
Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1044
Size:  67.8 KB
Name:  crv_exterior_002.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  105.6 KB
Name:  crv_exterior_004.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  199.1 KB
Name:  idtec9speedautomatictransmission.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  217.8 KB
Name:  crv_exterior_003.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  104.4 KB
Name:  crv_interior_001_1.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  188.4 KB
Name:  crv_interior_002.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  288.3 KB
Name:  crv_interior_003.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  286.5 KB
Name:  crv_interior_011.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  224.6 KB
Name:  crv_interior_012.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  212.5 KB
Name:  crv_interior_013.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  217.0 KB
Name:  crv_interior_014.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  303.9 KB

Name:  crv_interior_007.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  190.6 KB
Name:  crv_interior_007_1.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  176.1 KB
Name:  crv_interior_009.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  278.2 KB
Name:  crv_interior_010.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  248.8 KB
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th March 2017 at 14:16.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 14:24   #45
BHPian

32 lacs for Diesel 4WD is a lot. if they launch it at 34 in India and then road tax , etc taking it to 40 its an expensive proposition.