Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 24th September 2014, 22:35   #271
vdi
BHPian

Default re: VW Vento Diesel Automatic... Update: Launched!

Ground clearance in the old one is 168mm and in the new its 165mm as per the brochure.
vdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 22:49   #272
BHPian

Kudus to VW for providing multiple variants. This is something we in india never get to experience. All the car manufacturers literally force their single variant combination on us. Just hope the availability for all these combinations are present with VW.
TB16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 23:26   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdi View Post
Ground clearance in the old one is 168mm and in the new its 165mm as per the brochure.
That should be welcoming that atleast there is someone who is going 'low', otherwise everyone else seems to 'uplifting' the cars these days.

On the serious note, the platform has been modified. Previous one was PQ25 whereas new one is PQ26. Change in the last numeric value indicates 'evolution' according to VAG hierarchy. Here evolution means more rigid and safer structure along with some changes so that it can accommodate engines from newer VAG range.

So that slight change in the ground clearance looks obvious.

tbppjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 00:16   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Does the comfortline model comes with ABS ?

I thought ABS was only available on the highline.
The Comfortline variant does have ABS

And another good point is that they have Front Dual Airbags standard in all the models, lowest one included
iamendangered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 00:51   #275
BHPian

For those who own a TDI Vento, you know what the Auto Tranny can mean. This is a big welcome. The price is not a breaker as the nearest one is quite off the limits. The Vento has its strength (while the City has its). I have owned both and Vento is more confidence inspiring in the Indian conditions (meaning can take more beating, feels more planted) than the light feeling of the City. However, comfort is different in the City, again not to get into the car comparison here. While I drive frequently on and off city roads there are four most important things I felt made Vento the car to go
1. Auto for the superb diesel heart
2. Dual head lamps for the high ways (for the sudden hump on NH7/4 you add you number)
3. A slightly wider seats (you keep adjusting your self every 30 min on a long drive)
4. The indicator and wiper + audio controls in the "right" place! Of what use is the auto if you need to flip your left hand very often to move to signal an indicator or change volume/channel

A rear disk is welcome, but I never felt that undermines the capability. I see 2 of the issues addressed here (could not get to see the controls yet).

Great differentiator move and well, its about time. I would not be so bothered with the failure rates as this is very subjective, I know of Laura owners who don't even know that they have something like a DSG and that it has a bad reputation.

If the showrooms have it, then it will be my weekend picnic spot this week.
man_and_machine is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 01:02   #276
Senior - BHPian

More than the price, i'm happy that important safety features like ESP are trickling down to the C2 segment sedans,even if its only in the automatics for now. Ecosport AT and now the Vento DSG,any other car i'm missing out on ?
shashank.nk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 11:16   #277
BHPian

As a 2013 Vento TDI HL owner, I have wished in the past to have waited for 2 cars before getting the Vento- The New Fiat Linea and the New Ford Fiesta. But after driving the Vento TDI with DSG, I know that if I had to wait for a car, it would be this one. I am actually considering a early life upgrade to the Vento TDI DSG. I love the new one to bits.
satya180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 11:47   #278
BHPian

The 168 mm ground clearance itself seemed to have been a problem for some owners and now it has been lowered even further. Wonder what sort of feedback companies take. Irrespective of the improvement in ride quality, some practical considerations also have to be taken into account with respect to the roads and speed (back) breakers in our country. Sales of crossovers and pseudo SUVs are proof of this.
thesilentone is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 12:46   #279
BHPian

@thesilentone: I believe that the reason for increased sale of Crossovers/ Compact SUVs is more due to their feel/ size/ road presence rather than just their Ground Clearance advantage over sedans.

Ive driven my 2013 Vento TDI all over West Maharashtra (I travel quite a bit thanks to work), and the only time I was really concerned about the Ground Clearance was over really bumpy roads with 4 people on board. Careful driving will get you out of most regular roads without really scratching the belly.
satya180 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 12:55   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilentone View Post
The 168 mm ground clearance itself seemed to have been a problem for some owners and now it has been lowered even further. Wonder what sort of feedback companies take. Irrespective of the improvement in ride quality, some practical considerations also have to be taken into account with respect to the roads and speed (back) breakers in our country. Sales of crossovers and pseudo SUVs are proof of this.
Might sound naive - but i am told the 165mm is the minimum ground clearance. I asked an SA and he said you hit 165mm after loading the car with five passengers (inc. driver) and a loaded boot - effectivey meaning the 165mm is applicable for highway commute and not the regular urban, pothole to pothole commute. So you may add an additional 10-15mm for the reg urgan commute.
bhaskaracs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 00:10   #281
BHPian

The GC is two things, (1) what is in the spec (2) When and how it is reached. Look at the Laura (or other Skodas) the GC is 138! yet you hit the belly more in the Honda City/Civic on the Laura. The firmness (or softness) of the suspension determines how low the car can get with what load and under what dynamics (read: Verna suspension setup > 90 km/hr anyone?). I have hit the bottom on those "cut a cement water pipe into two and lets make a illegal road hump of it" types. The rest of them are usually fine. Again, you can't compare this to a duster, say. This is really a non-issue. I guess the lowering in the GC was due to the increase in the weight of the car. Don't know the ESP had some say on this, meaning for ESP to work, you need the car to be capable of behaving in a certain way and each single mm of GC changes the dynamics (but I think the weight is more the reason and not the ESP). Why couldn't VW offer pure leather as a option pack "say like skoda Black pack"? The leatherette seats are very slippery.

One problem that could also have been corrected is the mic position, its just below the blower and I have to very often shut the blower or tilt is upwards when talking on the BT device. If you have a long call on a hot day shutting down is not a option and very often I am forced to disconnect the phone and use is with hands-on (that forces me to stop the car !). It could have been in a more convenient position where the A/c wind noise does not affect it.
man_and_machine is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2014, 00:23   #282
BHPian

Was surprised to see that the vento dsg did not have a deal pedal !
gautam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 16:15   #283
BHPian

Saw the new TDI DSG in flesh today, both CL & HL. There is no tag to identify the vento MT from AT.

Looks like VW should be able to clear the old stock pretty soon cosidering the demand for the car with the discounts on offer.

Noticed Apollo Alnac on the CL. Forgot to check the ones on HL. I might be getting the CL if things workout, by next weekend.

I would miss the steering controls on HL more than anything.
rejeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 18:17   #284
BHPian

^^ What are the discounts on offer?
TB16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 13:05   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB16 View Post
^^ What are the discounts on offer?
none on new ones. But if you go to the dealers, they are offering about a lac in discount on pre facelift vento.
lalittalwar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote