Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 30th September 2014, 19:37   #286
BHPian

Default re: VW Vento Diesel Automatic... Update: Launched!

The Vento DSG is an excellent move by VW. This will end the monopoly of Verna in this segment. The Vento was always a well built car, but the clutch was too heavy for my liking. This makes Vento DSG a perfect choice for a family of 4 in a city like Bangalore, where manual transmission is a pain. I guess the DSG issues are all ironed out now and with the extended warranty it should be a great choice.

OT - On a different note, I moved out of India early this year. I am getting my first MPV next week, a VW Touran 1.6 TDI DSG. Almost the same engine and exactly the same DSG gearbox. Loved it the moment I took the test drive. I think Touran is a great choice for India as well. Great competitor for Ertiga and the likes.
ganeshram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 09:39   #287
BHPian

Hey guys, from a pure enthusiastic drivers point of view, which is a better car to drive, the 1.2 TSI DSG or 1.5 TDI DSG (forgetting all other points like fuel cost, mileage etc)? Has someone test driven both the cars?
pamishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 09:43   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam99 View Post
What's the price range for the touran?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshram View Post
OT - On a different note, I moved out of India early this year. I am getting my first MPV next week, a VW Touran 1.6 TDI DSG. Almost the same engine and exactly the same DSG gearbox. Loved it the moment I took the test drive. I think Touran is a great choice for India as well. Great competitor for Ertiga and the likes.
OT: Good choice there; Touran is a A very capable MPV. Build on an extended Golf platform (previous gen.), it cost around Jetta, Golf etc. Definitely not in the Ertiga/Mobilio category.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 10:00   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamishra View Post
Hey guys, from a pure enthusiastic drivers point of view, which is a better car to drive, the 1.2 TSI DSG or 1.5 TDI DSG (forgetting all other points like fuel cost, mileage etc)? Has someone test driven both the cars?
I test drove both cars one after the other, if you floor the throttle the TSI starts and runs better, but here it down shifts and reves up.
The TDI has better thrust and acceleration in the upper low and mid range acceleration and can accelerate without down shifting like the TSI.

The TSI is probably a better stoplight racer, but the TDI is better in the 30kph to 110 kph range.

The TSI I test drove was a dealers demo car, while the TDI was a VW car used by the VW official.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 16:31   #290
BHPian

Thumbs up re: VW Vento Diesel Automatic... Update: Launched!

Really happy to note that we have more auto options in the C2 diesel sedan Segment. Sure, the Verna had the automatic for quite sometime. The very fact that it was a 4-speed auto, which wasn't fun to drive, was enough to put off most potential buyers.

Personally I thought VW had priced the Vento DSG very well and was expecting Skoda to price the Rapid DSG even better. But hey, not all expectations are fulfilled. It is now priced too close to the Vento for comfort and it doesn't offer that many features above that of the Vento. The cruise control is the only noteworthy feature which Skoda offers which isn't present in the VW.

IMO, The Vento DSG should be the clear winner in this battle of the siblings, considering the horror stories of the Skoda after sales service!
neethi_raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 18:21   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neethi_raj View Post
Really happy to note that we have more auto options in the C2 diesel sedan Segment.
Second that and it's good for consumer. But more options also sometimes creates a dilemma depending on buyer's requirements. For me looking for a C2 sedan when I had almost finalized city now this launch added more difficulty in selecting.

Quote:
Personally I thought VW had priced the Vento DSG very well and was expecting Skoda to price the Rapid DSG even better. But hey, not all expectations are fulfilled. It is now priced too close to the Vento for comfort and it doesn't offer that many features above that of the Vento. The cruise control is the only noteworthy feature which Skoda offers which isn't present in the VW.

IMO, The Vento DSG should be the clear winner in this battle of the siblings, considering the horror stories of the Skoda after sales service!
In terms of features Skoda also scores on projector headlights and black package. The cruise control + projector headlights + black package + five digit lesser price is good enough to confuse buyers on which to select.
But if they strongly take the experience of BHPians with Skoda service then the choice becomes easy.
ssateesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 14:51   #292
BHPian

I have an eye on the new Vento 1.5 TDI MT, not automatic. I like the interior in Vento more than in Rapid. I am yet to get a vehicle for test-drive. They have the 1.6 TDI only to offer for test. And, they are offering very good discount also on that.

My confusion regarding the Vento is about its build quality and ride. I have been driving for three years a Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi. I have driven it for long distances in highways, and I am very much used to its suspension, ride, handling and the steering set up. Needless to explain what these mean.

Compared to this, is Vento that well-built and confidence inspiring?

I suppose Skoda Rapid will be closer to this, but the A.S.S. stories... Vento certainly gives a premium feeling and more space inside.

Can anyone comment?

Vipin.
Vipin Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 15:57   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
I have an eye on the new Vento 1.5 TDI MT, not automatic. I like the interior in Vento more than in Rapid. I am yet to get a vehicle for test-drive. They have the 1.6 TDI only to offer for test. And, they are offering very good discount also on that.

My confusion regarding the Vento is about its build quality and ride. I have been driving for three years a Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi. I have driven it for long distances in highways, and I am very much used to its suspension, ride, handling and the steering set up. Needless to explain what these mean.

Compared to this, is Vento that well-built and confidence inspiring?

I suppose Skoda Rapid will be closer to this, but the A.S.S. stories... Vento certainly gives a premium feeling and more space inside.

Can anyone comment?

Vipin.

VAG cars a synonymous with Excellent build quality. It will be ages better than the ford fiesta. ( I own both a fiesta and a VAG car, passat).

But Build quality <> (not equal) Reliability. In an ideal world both should go hands in hand but that's not the case. Although I haven't suffered any shocks (yet!) and am perfectly satisfied with VW, to a point where it is hard for me to settle for any other brand.

German engineering is the best one can get, though the experiences is bittered by A.S.S. But if you can overcome that, it is the way to go. Vento will feel like a segment upgrade after classic fiesta (more so with the automatic)
Crazy_Bean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 21:49   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post

German engineering is the best one can get, though the experiences is bittered by A.S.S. But if you can overcome that, it is the way to go. Vento will feel like a segment upgrade after classic fiesta (more so with the automatic)
Thanks for the input. I think a hard test-drive will actually make it clear. Passat and Jetta, I have heard, are very sporty cars to drive. But Vento, in my knowledge, did not get the traditional Volkswagen build quality(?).

My confusion is also between Rapid's sporty drivability and Vento's premium interior feel!

Vipin.
Old 2nd October 2014, 22:14   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I think a hard test-drive will actually make it clear. Passat and Jetta, I have heard, are very sporty cars to drive. But Vento, in my knowledge, did not get the traditional Volkswagen build quality(?).

My confusion is also between Rapid's sporty drivability and Vento's premium interior feel!

Vipin.
Let me try and make it simpler for you. Mind it: I am only helping you choose between the Rapid and Vento.

In this day and age, the only reason to settle for any of these models should be the brilliant 7 speed DSG. If manual is the choice of transmission, I think Honda City settles the bill properly.

Now, coming to Vento and Rapid, I feel the rapid is slightly more dated than the vento and has a inferior interior feel. ( Quality is at par though)

Polo was recently updated internationally so you can expect the vento look to stay in market longer, whereas, Rapid is based on fabia which is completely discontinued globally. Vento has a Corporate-ish appeal whereas rapid is a bit more sporty.

Looking at the top trims, Vento's factory fitted leather interior and upholstery is a big plus in raising the feel good factor and long term maintenance. The steering wheel on the vento is also better (ala Polo). The DSG lever look and feel is same as in the jetta (all stainless steel) whereas Rapid has a plastic one.
I understand I am nitpicking, but its all these small tid bits that raise the premium-ness of a product.

Now i dont think Projector lamps and Cruise-control (the two extra features on Rapid) compensate for the above mentioned reasons.

About handling and drive, Rapid is sportier than vento, so I have heard. Did I feel it? No! They both feel the same.

My choice would be the Vento Highline DSG (in the new toffee brown shade)

Moving away from ford, this would mean a serious upgrade.

I hope I was able to help

Last edited by Crazy_Bean : 2nd October 2014 at 22:16.
Crazy_Bean is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 22:53   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Polo was recently updated internationally so you can expect the vento look to stay in market longer, whereas, Rapid is based on fabia which is completely discontinued globally. Vento has a Corporate-ish appeal whereas rapid is a bit more sporty.
Vento and Rapid both are based on Polo MK5 (current Polo being sold in India as well as in international markets) and all of these cars share majority of parts along with platform and engine. Fabia was based on the Polo MK4.

Quote:
Passat and Jetta, I have heard, are very sporty cars to drive. But Vento, in my knowledge, did not get the traditional Volkswagen build quality(?).
Please care a bit to explain what is definition of build quality for you?
tbppjpr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 22:57   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Vento and Rapid both are based on Polo MK5 (current Polo being sold in India as well as in international markets) and all of these cars share majority of parts along with platform and engine. Fabia was based on the Polo MK4.
I understand the point here, but I was talking more in terms of Looks rather platform. Vento-Rapid are practically the same car, Fabia and Polo are not (looks wise)
Crazy_Bean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2014, 00:33   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Please care a bit to explain what is definition of build quality for you?
See, a good build quality gives you a feeling of assurance while driving. It will be stable, pliant, straight, etc, and will not behave like a boat (I know that an anti-roll bar also helps beside just the build, which I think the Vento does not have). A car with a good build quality will not have this and that part, including window glasses half-open, shivering. It will give a you a feel of a single, integrated unit, all in your hands in the steering.

If you feel that Vento fulfils all these, I will be really excited about it, and go ahead with the idea of getting one also.

I have one more question: Rapid's steering is mentioned in the brochure as a rack and pinion direct EPS while in Vento's they say that it is only EPS. What are the differences?

Vipin.
Old 3rd October 2014, 00:56   #299
BHPian

Quote:
See, a good build quality gives you a feeling of assurance while driving. It will be stable, pliant, straight, etc, and will not behave like a boat (I know that an anti-roll bar also helps beside just the build, which I think the Vento does not have). A car with a good build quality will not have this and that part, including window glasses half-open, shivering. It will give a you a feel of a single, integrated unit, all in your hands in the steering.
Since you very well know how the car of your choice should behave while driving, why don't you take a long test drive yourself? That will clear all of the above doubts. If Vento/Rapid feel like how you expect then go for them otherwise reject and move onto next car, simple.

Quote:
If you feel that Vento fulfils all these, I will be really excited about it, and go ahead with the idea of getting one also.
I don't think that is right way to choose a car. Take few test drives first.
My personal opinion about Vento/Rapid is good, those are sturdy and solidly built cars.

Quote:
I have one more question: Rapid's steering is mentioned in the brochure as a rack and pinion direct EPS while in Vento's they say that it is only EPS. What are the differences?
Both are same, only steering wheel is different, rather both cars are same. You may feel very minute difference in tuning of suspensions and engine though.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 3rd October 2014 at 00:57.
tbppjpr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2014, 07:49   #300
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think that is right way to choose a car. Take few test drives first.
My personal opinion about Vento/Rapid is good, those are sturdy and solidly built cars.
Certainly. I have already asked them to make a TD vehicle available. The Skoda guys said that they would get one by this week, but the Vento will be available only by November! What is available now is the 1.6 Mill. Even that will give me a sense of the driving dynamics and ride.

If I go by what I have heard, Vento does have some problem in maintaining the straight line and giving very pliant run (?). I may be corrected by people who have good experience with the Vento.

Vip.