Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th October 2014, 06:22   #301
BHPian

Being someone who drives the vento regularly and owns the rapid, I'll give my inputs. As many people have already mentioned, both are essentially the same car. Only differences that I've noticed so far:
noticeable turbo lag in vento, but more linear delivery in rapid.
More headroom in the rapid than in the vento.
Projector headlamps make a huge difference.
Quality of plastics is the same. It only matters what color you prefer.
Seat covers of neither car impressed me.
Horizon81 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014, 11:08   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
Being someone who drives the vento regularly and owns the rapid, I'll give my inputs. As many people have already mentioned, both are essentially the same car. Only differences that I've noticed so far:
Agree. The only other aspect worth mentioning is probably the suspension setup. While the Vento is softly sprung the Rapid has a more stiff setup. This character aides Rapid to have a better high speed stability & inspire better confidence while cornering.
suhas_raj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014, 23:35   #303
BHPian

Has someone booked the new DSG and got delivery of the car or delivery date? Is extended warranty available?
rejeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2014, 09:07   #304
BHPian

Default re: VW Vento Diesel Automatic... Update: Launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
See, here much goes in favour of the Rapid, though the build quality seems to be judged as the same for both the cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhas_raj View Post
Agree. The only other aspect worth mentioning is probably the suspension setup. While the Vento is softly sprung the Rapid has a more stiff setup. This character aides Rapid to have a better high speed stability & inspire better confidence while cornering.
Yes. The suspension makes everything different. That is what I was also thinking of. I have been driving the Fiesta which has the hard-suspension system and I am used to confident cornering.

Anyway, let me test-drive both.

Vipin.
Vipin Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2014, 10:50   #305
BHPian

Test drives aren't available here in Thane. VW says that TDI DSG test drives would be available only after Dec. Skoda gave a tentative timeframe of 2 weeks for a TD of the same.
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2014, 19:59   #306
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are the OTR of the New Vento in Bangalore.

VW Vento Diesel Automatic... Update: Launched!-20141005_195200.jpg

The earliest one can expect the delivery of DSG is Nov 2014, and of the MT Jan 2015.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2014, 23:52   #307
BHPian

The Prices of the Vento got me thinking this: If I have a diesel sedan and intend to buy a new one, what would I do? There is a always the Laura/Octy that has this like-ability for most of the people. With the price of the Highline, would this steal that show? I mean what do you really miss from the Octy, apart from that different segment thing? There is a lot of premium things in is like the extra space, the extra speakers, the extra power, the extra window on the top :-) etc. All these are incremental from the HL Vento DSG, now that this car is a reality. I always said to myself, I would just want to upgrade to the Octy and then well, that seals the deal for many more years, as beyond that is just pure super luxury. Now with the DSG auto, twin head lamps, acceptable room space and the same build quality (this reminds me of GTO's D segment value proposition thread), I mean there is a sense of practicality to the HL Vento DSG at this price. What would a real C segment car owner really (I mean in terms of a deal breaker) want more? Think of it, if you average the C segment of all brands its around 5K, meaning 1 lakh car onwers in 2 years, what would this segment of the market want more at this price? Looks (meaning Duster like, yeah..), but really, this got me thinking, would I really miss the Octy (the heart would!) so much by saving ~ 8,00,000 (so many zeros..). I mean the wife would want to share the drive too, on this HL Vento TDI DSG on those Goa to Bangalore drives. She would not touch the Octy simply because the "Lambi Gaadi" (read: long car) is not her forte. What always kept the Octy as the final (rather n -1 final) car is more of less (less of the less) what the HL DSG offers. I guess its come of age. Unless your target is a different seating capacity or a different body type, I guess VW has got the pricing really right, its not too much to push it into the next segment, its not too little to make the DSG look like a cosmetic addition. The support offered by dealers will only need to complement the capabilities of the car. I would wait for a cautious few months to see if the DSG can go mainstream without failures. Trade-in of my current Vento can definitely be thought. What do you think?
man_and_machine is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2014, 01:07   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Here are the OTR of the New Vento in Bangalore.

The earliest one can expect the delivery of DSG is Nov 2014, and of the MT Jan 2015.
Slightly OT:
And the dealers are still charging handling charges.? isn't that supposed to be illegal based on supreme Court ruling?
ssateesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2014, 10:54   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
I would wait for a cautious few months to see if the DSG can go mainstream without failures. Trade-in of my current Vento can definitely be thought. What do you think?
As someone who looked high and low for a car, seriously considered a BMW and almost settled on the Elantra - the Vento TSI fit the bill perfectly. Most people will think of that as weird but a few things led me to my decision. After years of using a driver, I don't have one anymore, so a four-seater is fine. Proper five seats pushes you into the Elantra, Jetta, Altis territory. Since I drive on my own, length and width is an issue and hence smaller dimensions are better. I wanted cutting-edge tech and the TSI gives me that. For a car that has one person inside it most of the time, anything else seemed like an overkill. The only thing I don't get is six airbags.

To cut a long story short, I think the VW DSG twins redefine the segment and I don't think you'd go wrong with either. And I think you'll enjoy it more because you'll be less worried about small nicks and scrapes as you won't have broken the bank. I wouldn't wait a couple of months to check DSG reliability because the Polo has been sold with it for over a year and the Vento TSI for close to a year.

Last edited by noopster : 6th October 2014 at 11:20. Reason: Fixed quote tag
StarScream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 21:50   #310

Folks, I have booked the vento TSI (face lifted model) and have selected the toffee brown colour as first choice. I have been driving a Honda city and an Innova and decided that I wanted to drive an automatic for a change. Quite frankly, most cars today have all the basic luxury features. What makes the biggest impact on a self-driver is the driving pleasure and dynamics.

I tried the sunny cvt but wasn't impressed with the acceleration and torque. The Honda cvt is more expensive and has a greater waiting period. Plus reviews state that their cvt isn't all that great either. I tried the polo TSI and just fell in love with the engine and transmission. The same combo in a Honda would have made it the ultimate car!! While I am a little apprehensive about the maintenance expenses and post warranty expenses, I don't see any other credible alternative to the Vento TSI petrol auto. I also tried the Vento TDI diesel auto but found it too "heavy" compared to the TSI. There was also noticeable lag in the lower gears compared to the petrol auto. Had I tried the TDI before trying the TSI, maybe my standards wouldn't have been so high!
contentedbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 16:28   #311
BHPian

I drove the DSG Vento (Comfortline) and the impressions were positive. There is though a lag before the turbo kicks in but the gearbox handles well and quickly manages the ratio. Now i am on a lookout for a Diesel sedan so was on a TD spree. The on-road Highline AT costs ~12.5 vadodara and yes there is an optional 2 year extended warranty with RSA offered for about 17k. Now starts the confusion; the dealer offered me Vento 1.6D highline for ~10.4 OTR which looks enticing. The only problem here as everyone knows is the reliability as i want to keep my car for more than 5 years, hence if it is too much of a risk i can go ahead with either the old 1.6 and save money or for the same price of 1.5TDI DSG get a City VX. Decisions, decisions.
Zubin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 18:01   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubin21 View Post
I drove the DSG Vento (Comfortline) and the impressions were positive. There is though a lag before the turbo kicks in but the gearbox handles well and quickly manages the ratio. Now i am on a lookout for a Diesel sedan so was on a TD spree. The on-road Highline AT costs ~12.5 vadodara and yes there is an optional 2 year extended warranty with RSA offered for about 17k. Now starts the confusion; the dealer offered me Vento 1.6D highline for ~10.4 OTR which looks enticing. The only problem here as everyone knows is the reliability as i want to keep my car for more than 5 years, hence if it is too much of a risk i can go ahead with either the old 1.6 and save money or for the same price of 1.5TDI DSG get a City VX. Decisions, decisions.
Very simple. If you want an auto, get the new Vento.

If you are OK with a manual, TD both the city and the old Vento, and choose the one which you like.

The 1.6 has sold in decent numbers and I'm pretty sure that parts will be available for quite some time.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 18:06   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubin21 View Post
The on-road Highline AT costs ~12.5 vadodara and yes there is an optional 2 year extended warranty with RSA offered for about 17k.
I am in a similar dilemma. The two year extended warranty along with the RSA - is it being offered on both TSI as well as TDI AT? Also, what is the current indicative waiting period for delivery of TSI and TDI AT?

Last edited by manson : 9th October 2014 at 18:43. Reason: Fixed formatting of text.
bhaskaracs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 18:20   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Very simple. If you want an auto, get the new Vento.

If you are OK with a manual, TD both the city and the old Vento, and choose the one which you like.

The 1.6 has sold in decent numbers and I'm pretty sure that parts will be available for quite some time.
Well thats what i did, so in this case of old Vento and City, City has a very light build and interiors feel tacky and cheap compared to Vento (considering what i am spending). However, it is very easy to drive in the city with bumper to bumper traffic, great mileage (i presume) and fits an expected tension free ownership period requirement (over 5 years); completely opposite for the vento here with major factor involving ~2lac less compared to city.
Zubin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 18:46   #315
BHPian

When I did TDs before buying my Vento, City was nowhere near the build quality or driving pleasure of Vento.
troublemaker is offline   Reply With Quote