Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 7th March 2014, 20:57   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
6,000 cars / month is a success in India, no matter what the segment, price point or competition.
There was a time when Ritz used to sell 5k to 6k cars a month, but it was considered an under-achiever thanks to the 14k swift sales (back then).

If nano sells 6000 cars per month compared to 24k alto cars, will it be considered a success? Analysis is always relative.

Otherwise we would have just needed some absolute numbers rather than so many graphs and figures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Maruti also has 7 - 8 times the number of sales points that Honda has. If you see sales / dealer, the Amaze is ahead of the Dzire.
I'm not sure why this figure is taken into consideration. Less number of dealerships can be a reason for poor sales, but not a justification. It's not Maruti's or any other brand's fault Honda has lesser dealerships.

Edit- 5000 posts.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th March 2014 at 21:00.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 21:59   #77
BHPian

Default Re: February 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Great Analysis GTO as always!

I did not see the break of Diesel Vs Petrol cars sales this time around.

Can we expect some report on that?

Tejas
Old 7th March 2014, 22:13   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Please get your facts right sir ! Amaze is not performing poorly , its 11th best selling car. Yes it sells 3 times less compared to Dzire . But its selling better than the rest of the competition. 6000-7000 units is decent IMO.
+1. What is impressive about the Amaze sales is this: consider the number of Honda sales outlets and Maruti sales outlets. Honda has probably 15% of the sales outlets that Maruti has across the country and yet the fact that Amaze sells the way it does is nothing short of a commendable achievement.

In my opinion, the Amaze has had amazing sales given the limited reach it has had across urban and rural India. For example, Honda has a lone sales and service office for the entire Goa, while there are three separate companies (Chowgule, Sai and Aryaman), each selling Maruti cars in their various sales outlets across different towns and villages across Goa.

That said, I would be interested to know the sales figures of the Amaze after the arrival of the Hyundai Xcent. Both cars promise a lot and are likely to target the similar audience. So, it could well be a close fight between the H and H in the CS category.
misquitas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 00:26   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I'm not sure why this figure is taken into consideration. Less number of dealerships can be a reason for poor sales, but not a justification. It's not Maruti's or any other brand's fault Honda has lesser dealerships.
I'm sorry that I did not notice your post when I sent in my earlier post. I tend to agree with GTO when he makes the comparison with the dealership numbers. If and when someone wants to compare sales figures between two cars, in this case, the Amaze and Dzire, I believe that these sales figures should ideally be looked at within a proper context to understand the larger picture.

By the way, what interests me are the following:

1. The Santro and Omni appealed to over 10,000 customers in February, despite the fact that both these cars are "outdated" and have limited safety features. I suppose it only goes to show what brand loyalty means to Indians as well as the notion of a 'tried and tested' product.

2. I'm surprised by the sales of the older i10 (4000+ sales), especially in light of its far more competent sibling, the Grand i10. Another instance of brand loyalty and a tried and tested product? Clearly, this "divide-and-sell" policy of marketing two distinct i10's seems to be working quite well for Hyundai.

3. The dominance of the two market leaders, Maruti and Hyundai, is such that both of them account for 13 of the bestselling cars in the top 20 list.
Old 8th March 2014, 00:46   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There was a time when Ritz used to sell 5k to 6k cars a month, but it was considered an under-achiever thanks to the 14k swift sales (back then).
Considering that it had identical mechanicals to the Swift it was an under achiever when compared to the Swift within Maruti stable not when compared to other manufacturers. Relative comparison as you put it.

So in this case if you compare with the Dzire it is a flop. But a proper analysis is not just one factor alone but a combination of factors.

With your analysis I can safely say that the Eon and Grand i10 are completely flop since the Eon sold 3 times lesser than the Alto and the Grand i10 sold half of the Swift? But there's no way these 2 cars are doing poorly right?

in this case Honda sold 6K units with lesser dealers competing against a giant Maruti with a product priced higher than the Dzire.

Quote:
Yeah it's Honda's problem it has lesser dealers but Honda ain't complaining right? They are expanding gradually.

Take a look at this thread to know why it's important to have a good balance of dealer's vs sales.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...facturers.html (Average Sales / Dealership : Indian Car Manufacturers)

Quote:
Edit- 5000 posts.
Congrats!
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 17:59   #81
BHPian

Great analysis as usual. Nothing out of the ordinary.

What is interesting to see is that the "volumes car" Brio for Honda is really not generating much volumes. Its CS sibling seems to be fairing far better than the capable hatch. Honda needs to rethink its strategy on offering such a product in the ever crowded small car space. The re-induction of the Jazz will further dent the Brio's sales figures.

Also, now that the Hyundai i10 has been relegated to the 1.1ltr - lightweight category, its amazing to see the Santro, its far older sibling giving it a close chase in the sales chart. No wonder Hyundai is in no hurry to phase out the older gen models.
Burn_out is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 18:25   #82
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There was a time
By your reasoning, every manufacturer other than Maruti is a failure because they sell less than 1/3rd of the Japanese giant

Quote:
when Ritz used to sell 5k to 6k cars a month, but it was considered an under-achiever thanks to the 14k swift sales (back then).
The Ritz was nearly identical to the earlier-gen Swift and more practical at a cheaper price. It was a classic example of how design & marketing can drive a product.

It did have the same distribution & service support as the Swift. While it was seen as "under performing" compared to the Swift, the Ritz was indeed a success during its 6K days in its own right. This is exactly the point that's being made for the Amaze. Compared to the Dzire? A far second place. In its own right, a success, top 10 player and the 3rd best selling sedan in India!

Quote:
If nano sells 6000 cars per month compared to 24k alto cars, will it be considered a success?
Considering the Nano hasn't touched 6K in two years, it would definitely be a cause for celebration (Tata will surely agree).

However, don't forget that the Nano's breakeven point is 20,000 units / month. That, and the fact that it's the cheapest car in the world, makes for a unique exception (and far from the rule in the auto industry).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
I did not see the break of Diesel Vs Petrol cars sales this time around.
If we get it, we provide it
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 18:31   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Rushabh (GTO) for the focused analyses of last month's sales figures.
Hyundai and Maruti always have winners who earn them their bread and butter. They also have non-movers (laggards or even negative movers) sales wise, in their portfolio.These do not matter to the Big Two, as they have more winners.

Their marketing brains peak when they launch products like the the Grand i 10 or Celerio, to fill in the portfolio micro-gaps.The Xcent will also do wonders for Hyundai, as many hatchback Hyundai owners will like to upgrade to a segment above the Santro /i 10 / i 20 but below the Verna.

Honda's new City with both the petrol and diesel hearts has done wonders and has peaked above their best selling Amaze.

Tata Motors is facing the heat and is clubbing the Indica-Indigo sales figures to stay perched in the Top 10. We are yet to see any strategic mega-moves from Tata Motors to stay afloat.

Mahindra's bread and butter remain the Bolero and Scorpio and to some extent the XUV 500.They are hit at a time when the diesel prices are being jacked up every month. Its high time that they enter the B and C segments with better, petrol engined cars for the mass market.

Sadly, Toyota's more affordable products viz. the Liva and Etios have very few buyers.The Etois' are very popular as airport taxis in Bangalore, having edged out the Logan/Verito to a minority.But that ain't any achievement at the national level.It is similar to the good old Ambassador edging out every other car in the Kolkata taxi market, even on this day in 2014.

Nissan is facing a dealer eclipse and the owners of Nissan automobiles have found themselves in a difficult situation in such cities where the dealer-company game is on.A very negative impact on the marque's image.

Renault , Ford, GM, Fiat and VW need to learn more lessons to stay afloat and flourish. Some of these companies sometimes have one or two winners on their portfolio by default.The Duster is a case in point. Renault cannot count on forever, with the success of the Duster.

About Skoda and HM Mitsubishi, the less said the better. Everyone, even with some basic knowledge of our automobile market will be able to tell where they are going wrong or even crash landing.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 23:42   #84
BHPian

I tend to wonder whether Toyota has been kicking itself for having completely misread the Indian auto market by prematurely killing off its highly popular and competent Qualis.

I reckon that, given a few face-lifts and some tweaks here and there, the Qualis could still have attracted a large number of buyers and the sales could easily have added vital figures to Toyota repertoire.

Heck, if the "dated" Bolero can still bring in the numbers, I don't see why the Qualis could not have done so. I still see a number of well/average maintained Toyota Qualis vehicles on the roads here in Goa. These Qualis vehicles simply move on...and on. I guess there is a good reason why the Qualis shares the first five alphabets with "Quality."

Last edited by misquitas : 8th March 2014 at 23:49.
Old 9th March 2014, 09:38   #85
BHPian

I went to Dakshin Honda to get my car serviced & replace the mirror (broken). I think the new City is almost a D segment car interms of space, creature comforts, etc. I refuse to put it in the same segment as the Verna/Vento/SX4 interms of rear space!

Hyundai should retire the current i10 (not grand) and reignite the Santro brand. This car's legacy (along with Accent's) isnt being fully utilized IMO. Fluidic Santro + diesel as well, its going to a cracker and surely they can have Santro/Grand/i20 co-exist even though there might be a bit of sibling rivalry.

VW is losing it shine - they better do something quick. Like introducing the Golf TSI/TDI real quick
Equus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 09:45   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
I tend to wonder whether Toyota has been kicking itself for having completely misread the Indian auto market by prematurely killing off its highly popular and competent Qualis.

I reckon that, given a few face-lifts and some tweaks here and there, the Qualis could still have attracted a large number of buyers and the sales could easily have added vital figures to Toyota repertoire.

Heck, if the "dated" Bolero can still bring in the numbers, I don't see why the Qualis could not have done so. I still see a number of well/average maintained Toyota Qualis vehicles on the roads here in Goa. These Qualis vehicles simply move on...and on. I guess there is a good reason why the Qualis shares the first five alphabets with "Quality."
This is amazing, isnt it? Even now Qualis is missed

Good news is that the Qualis man is heading their India ops. Surely no qualis - lets not go there but I am sure he will get some thoughts going on reigniting the Etios/Liva story. This car was supposed to be the people's car for India.
I am very much in the game for a Toyota sedan but its not interesting. The new Corolla isnt going to beat the City in my perspectives.
Old 9th March 2014, 15:46   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Hyundai should retire the current i10 (not grand) and reignite the Santro brand. This car's legacy (along with Accent's) isnt being fully utilized IMO. Fluidic Santro + diesel as well, its going to a cracker and surely they can have Santro/Grand/i20 co-exist even though there might be a bit of sibling rivalry.
On the contrary, I would feel that this multiple options is indeed good for Hyundai, especially since they are selling a good numbers. Consider the February sales of their hatches:

Eon: 7312
Santro: 4002
i10: 4041
Grand i10: 10576
i20: 4292

ALL of them have exceeded 4000+ sales and this alone would cause envy among other manufacturers. That "older" cars like Santro and i10 are still selling well only adds to Hyundai's popularity as a manufacturer with tried, tested and talented cars. That Hyundai STILL believes in the Santro and refuses to let it go has also added confidence among the customers.

In my opinion, the advantages of offering multiple cars are as follows:

For Hyundai:

* All of them are selling in great numbers.
* There is no pressure (high demand) for Hyundai to deliver on any one car.
* Adds greater variety in its portfolio.

For the Customer:

* Multiple cars give the customer a greater choice.
* Less waiting period to buy a particular car.
* Great choice between tall-bodied (i10, Santro) and short-bodied cars (Eon, Grand i10 and i20).

Now,
Should Hyundai add a diesel to the Santro?
Should Hyundai add the Santro engine to the Eon?

I would definitely support these moves as it would only add more variety to Hyundai's portfolio and more buying options for the customers.
Old 9th March 2014, 16:04   #88
BHPian

I see a very disturbing trend right now in the market. Shockingly the only 3 models posting positive growth in top 20 are so damn old, the most positive YOY growth of 33% is of Omni! and then comes Scorpio and third is Santro!? [H City cannot be accounted for this since its a new launch]. This only shows that the market is going to be in this state for a while now. 2014 may well turn out to be a year written off.
Old 9th March 2014, 16:59   #89
BHPian

The most awaited thread of the month. Thanks GTO.

Volkswagen, Skoda - Pls do something fast, else there would be more of blood bath. Give customers the confidence to buy your products with good A.S.S like Honda.

Don't know what is happening to Nissan. I guess they are just concentrating on exports as I believe they are number 2 in the country in exports.
Old 9th March 2014, 19:28   #90
BHPian

Thanks GTO and the team for putting together Feb 14's data.

Looks like in a month with 28 days, Maruti could garner 99k units. If the month had 30 days, it would have crossed the 1lakh mark. Can hear the champagne popping at MSL in the coming months. See what you get when you have Junta popular cars, great service network and fabulous resale value.

Sad days for Skoda. Relegated to the last but one position in the market. If Fiat had managed to sell a few more cars, Skoda would have been last. A pity, highly competent machines, undone by the ill-reputed service and dealer network. I don't see anything happening to push them further up on the sales charts, till they get their act together and do a serious introspection.

Glad to see my past brand Honda doing well and climbing to No.4. the new City and amaze diesel have set their cash registers ringing and getting in numbers. Would be great to see how Mobilio does.

Toyota Fortuner setting the charts on fire in the 25-30L segment. Election time calls for more fortuners?

Last edited by hrman : 9th March 2014 at 19:30.
hrman is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread