Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 16th April 2014, 11:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata exploring a tie-up with Chery Automobile, China

Not a bad move at all. The Tiggo5 does look good though it would be wiser for Tata to use their own engine. Chery also seems to have participated in Dakar Rally with their X5 SUV and in fact finish the rally, which is commendable.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 11:46   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
With larger dimensions than the Ecosport or even the Duster, would you still think this is a hatchback just because it is a Chinese product?

A decade back, wouldn't everyone say the same about the Koreans?
It is not the Chinese products that we look down upon, it is bland designs of the specific models - Sail, Sail UVA, Enjoy that is to be blamed.
I think amiayu was referring to the hatch spotted in Mumbai that is mentioned in Post #3.

Chinese producst do not fail merely because of their looks and designs. Their reliability needs a lot to be desired. The mere mention of 'No IPR infringement on design' on the Tiggo 5 SUV is an indicator to the copycat nature of their products. There were reports of gear rods falling off in the Sail U-VA which is pretty much unheard of. I definitely remember reading a thread on this in Team-BHP itself but strangely I am unable to find that link now.

Also right from the start Hyundai provided very good products, right from the Santro to the awesome Accent Viva CRDi. So its not just the design, but also the quality that one brings into the table that define a good brand.
racer_ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 12:12   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Chinese producst do not fail merely because of their looks and designs. Their reliability needs a lot to be desired.
Absolutely. Looks/Style needs to be backed by competence. It cannot be just all show, no go. What i was referring to was the failure of the Chinese products launched by GM in India was primarily due to the design/styling. The products never took off for the mass market due to the missing "oomph factor" to decide on reliability.

Tata (if they decide to launch this product) will definitely need to work on the quality and reliability aspect. Their reputation in these parameters has been their biggest weakness and any further degradation may be a killer blow.
sachinayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 13:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

The hatchback looks yuck. It is a toy car with overgrown, bulging tail-lights. But the SUV looks wow! Although I see some design cues of Honda CRV but I am not complaining. This SUV, if priced right and if reliable, will sell well. Being a Chinese, it should come with petrol and automatic gearbox. I'm told China is predominantly petrol and automatic market. Is it true?
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 15:40   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
The top 9 brands and their sales[ Passenger car] in the year 2013 in CHINA:

Attachment 1216285

and this !

Attachment 1216286
Sales data and full list here: LINK

The above list shows the nature of market, China has. I just don’t think Tata Motors will have any business there considering the line up they have right now.

But certainly the other way around with Chery cars entering India could work in their favour. They do seem to have a decent line up, all well priced in China, fitting most of the hot segments in our country.
The first thing that struck me in this list (see the source link) is there are 71 players in the car market in China!! I couldn't count 20 in India. VW, the first in the list sold a whopping 2.3 million units.

I was wondering what cars is Tata looking to launch in the already very crowded Chinese market place.

I would think Tata's impending partnership with Chery has more to do with strengthening their product portfolio in the Indian market. Lack of a strong product line up has been a major handicap for Tata which could well be addressed through this partnership.
veyron_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2014, 18:16   #21
BHPian

Here's a list of all the Chery cars imported for testing so far -

Rosso Corsa is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 23:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

Spotted another in Cp, running Noida plates. Looked like a daily drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata exploring a tie-up with Chery Automobile, China-img_20150427_225556.jpg  

mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2017, 18:09   #23
BHPian

Some update:

Chinese car maker Chery planning to enter India, may join hands with Tata Motors

"China's top car exporter, which has a joint venture with Tata Motors' Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) unit in its home country, may leverage that partners hip to drive into this market or look at other options, its chairman said.

“India is a great country with a good heritage. We have a partnership with Tata Group. We may explore a tie-up to enter India,“ Yin Tongyao told ET on the sidelines of the Frankfurt Motor Show last week. “It may be with Tata Motors or without them, nothing is decided.“

Tata Motors previously had discussions with Chery for a collaboration on platforms and engines as well as the Chinese carmaker's India entry plans."
tbppjpr is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote