Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2015, 10:06   #1576
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,894
Thanked: 1,942 Times
Default Re: Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore

Yes - i had asked for the tax paid receipt but they said they needed it, so just took a xerox. Then got a ka rc smartcard, i had surrendered my tn smartcard already and got a form 28 noc from the tn07 rto before i came here
hserus is offline  
Old 16th June 2015, 12:26   #1577
BHPian
 
DRIVE_ADDICT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 409
Thanked: 180 Times
Default Re: Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore

What's your take on relocating (Paying LTT) my 2012 Figo TDCI zxi with 45k on ODO to Bangalore?

Or is it better to sell the car and buy one in Bangalore.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline  
Old 16th June 2015, 13:14   #1578
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,934
Thanked: 1,158 Times
Default Re: Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
What's your take on relocating (Paying LTT) my 2012 Figo TDCI zxi with 45k on ODO to Bangalore?

Or is it better to sell the car and buy one in Bangalore.
First calculate how much LTT you will be paying. For this you need to know the invoice price of the car. I suppose the age of the car is more than 3 years but less than 4 years.
The invoice price will be somewehere between 5-10 lakhs. Correct me if I am wrong.
So your tax will be 0.14*0.81*Invoice price of the car

To the above value add 11% cess.

Sum of the above will be the LTT you will be paying to KA RTO. Based on the calculated value, take a call as to whether you can pay this amount. Else sell the car in chennai and buy a car in Bangalore.

Last edited by suresh_gs : 16th June 2015 at 13:16.
suresh_gs is offline  
Old 16th June 2015, 13:36   #1579
BHPian
 
DRIVE_ADDICT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 409
Thanked: 180 Times
Default Re: Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
First calculate how much LTT you will be paying. For this you need to know the invoice price of the car. I suppose the age of the car is more than 3 years but less than 4 years.
The invoice price will be somewehere between 5-10 lakhs. Correct me if I am wrong.
So your tax will be 0.14*0.81*Invoice price of the car

To the above value add 11% cess.

Sum of the above will be the LTT you will be paying to KA RTO. Based on the calculated value, take a call as to whether you can pay this amount. Else sell the car in chennai and buy a car in Bangalore.
With the help of this thread i do calculated the LTT, it comes around 63k.
Thats why i posted this question, is it better to payy LTT and keep it or sell it?
When i bought the car i was planning to sell it after doing near to a lakh kms, at around 5-6 years of it's age.

I think getting the LTT back from RTO of any Indian state is cumbersome. Need to put in a lotsa effort/time to get that back.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline  
Old 16th June 2015, 15:00   #1580
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 23
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutralgrey View Post
Thank you for the quick reply guys!

I too was under the same impression that I need not surrender any documents. But if you could navigate to the previous page in this thread, you would see what I mean. KA RTO is providing KA RC card with another state registration number and not an invoice. The person who posted the message (I believe it is ssjr0498) had surrendered his parent state RC.

Hence my confusion.
Yes, you need to surrender your original RC book while paying KA tax. I paid it last year in Koramangala RTO, as my MH12 registered car was not even a year old. They will attach the RC book to the file and you need to give them a stamped envelope for sending them the new RC book through registered post. After a month you will receive KA smart card with the same registration number, MH in my case.
After a few months I applied for re-registration, surrendered the KA RC book with MH registration and after following up a million times with the RTO I finally got the new KA registration number.
schakra is offline  
Old 16th June 2015, 15:09   #1581
BHPian
 
satan's_valet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: TN09/KA04
Posts: 313
Thanked: 172 Times
Default Re: Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
With the help of this thread i do calculated the LTT, it comes around 63k.
Thats why i posted this question, is it better to payy LTT and keep it or sell it?
When i bought the car i was planning to sell it after doing near to a lakh kms, at around 5-6 years of it's age.

I think getting the LTT back from RTO of any Indian state is cumbersome. Need to put in a lotsa effort/time to get that back.
DA, your car is 3 years old and if it is running in perfect condition, there is no point selling it as you will take a big depreciation hit .Though this 63k is a big sum, if you plan to keep the car for atleast 2-3 years, I would suggest to pay this amount and keep the car. What you lose now, you will save in the interest amount for the new car.

I was in the same boat last year and when I tried to sell the car, the quotes I received did not justify the car's value. GTO's thread (ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?) played a big part in the decision making as well.
satan's_valet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 15:26   #1582
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,894
Thanked: 1,942 Times
Default Re: Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore

Yes - if you are comfortable with keeping the car another two or three years, pay up. Or drive the car on NH4 and to bombay once every month or so, good fun eh.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 16:15   #1583
Distinguished - BHPian
 
arun_josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,330
Thanked: 4,203 Times
Default Re: Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutralgrey View Post
Thank you for the quick reply guys!

I too was under the same impression that I need not surrender any documents. But if you could navigate to the previous page in this thread, you would see what I mean. KA RTO is providing KA RC card with another state registration number and not an invoice. The person who posted the message (I believe it is ssjr0498) had surrendered his parent state RC.

Hence my confusion.
Thanks for pointing me to that post. Yes, it is confusing. I paid the LTT two years back for my two wheeler and I didn't give them any of my original documents. Also, my friend who paid the LTT 6 months back, didn't give any of his original documents. So, not sure if the process has change recently.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 16:22   #1584
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,894
Thanked: 1,942 Times
Default Re: Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore

I had applied for re-registration. The KA rto played clever by giving me a RC smartcard with my TN number so I need to apply afresh after another three months.
hserus is offline  
Old 16th June 2015, 16:52   #1585
BHPian
 
neutralgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 75
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Thanks for pointing me to that post.... So, not sure if the process has change recently.
There is some confusion regarding this. I was hoping I would get some information from somebody who has only payed the LTT and not opted for re-registration.
neutralgrey is offline  
Old 16th June 2015, 16:55   #1586
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,894
Thanked: 1,942 Times
Default Re: Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore

If you keep the vehicle in KA for > 1 year re-registration is mandatory. "The vehicles migrating from other States are required to obtain re-registration mark of Karnataka State within 12 months from the date of arrival into Karnataka State."
hserus is offline  
Old 16th June 2015, 17:27   #1587
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,934
Thanked: 1,158 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutralgrey View Post
There is some confusion regarding this. I was hoping I would get some information from somebody who has only payed the LTT and not opted for re-registration.
Mate, I belong to this tribe of those who have paid LTT only and not opted for re-registration. I paid Rs 32407 as LTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
If you keep the vehicle in KA for > 1 year re-registration is mandatory. "The vehicles migrating from other States are required to obtain re-registration mark of Karnataka State within 12 months from the date of arrival into Karnataka State."
I dont think so. In my case the RTO person said it was my wish whether i want a KA number plate or continue to run the vehicle with TN number plate. The RTO is happy and content so long as they get cash.

Last edited by ampere : 16th June 2015 at 19:43. Reason: back to back posts
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 17:38   #1588
BHPian
 
nerd1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 150
Thanked: 200 Times
Default Re: Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore

Off late, I see a lot of premium luxury vehicles in Bangalore with PY registration. I wonder, if they re-register their cars in Bangalore, or pay up the LTT only.

In-fact one of my neighbors bought a BMW 320d in Feb, 2015 from Pondycherry. I was curious and asked him the details. Apparently, you could get local RTO 'agents' there who would help you with local address proof for a fee. When asked how he deals with Bangalore cops, he said - "thoda kharcha pani dene se ho jata hai" (read: Bribe them when caught!). Now, this kharcha-pani generally ranges from 200 to 500 bucks. He also mentioned that, they have not stopped him just like that, only if he jumps a signal and a cop is there, etc. he needs to pay up.

Motivated by this guy, I logged on to carwale.com and checked out the road tax for PY for Tata Safari Storme VX 4X2 (Yes, planning to get the beast soon! ). In Bangalore, I have to pay LTT of > 2.3L whereas in Pondy, its merely 17k. Even in Kolkata (my native), the LTT is <80k. This really got me thinking! Why do we pay so much Road tax in Bangalore where there aren't Proper ROADS!

Anyway, I was thinking of buying & registering the car in Kolkata (not fond of the fake address in Pondy kinda idea) but going through this thread, I am having second thoughts.
nerd1200 is online now  
Old 16th June 2015, 17:43   #1589
BHPian
 
neutralgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 75
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Mate, I belong to this tribe of those who have paid LTT only and not opted for re-registration. I paid Rs 32407 as LTT
Hi Suresh, what do you have on you as proof of payment of LTT, invoice or RC smart card? Did you surrender any original documents?

Thanks.
neutralgrey is offline  
Old 16th June 2015, 17:53   #1590
BHPian
 
satan's_valet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: TN09/KA04
Posts: 313
Thanked: 172 Times
Default Re: Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutralgrey View Post
Hi Suresh, what do you have on you as proof of payment of LTT, invoice or RC smart card? Did you surrender any original documents?

Thanks.
You would get a receipt for the LTT payment and you won't be asked to surrender any original document. The RC/smartcard comes into picture only when you submit the NOC obtainted from the home RTO. This is essentially the next step in re-registering your car in KA.

The RTO is currently happy if you just pay the LTT but I remember reading somewhere that you need to re-register your car within one year of paying the LTT.
satan's_valet is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buy car in state or out of state (Major price difference) autoenthusiast The Indian Car Scene 49 14th July 2017 01:21
Karnataka RTO - sms RTO to get Vehicle details 71Convertible The Indian Car Scene 83 8th October 2016 08:09
Where should I sell the car: State of Registration or Current State? m_upreti The Indian Car Scene 50 12th July 2016 17:38
RTO problems for transfering in own state vipinshetty The Indian Car Scene 5 20th February 2013 17:13


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks