Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 16th June 2015, 19:01   #1591
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutralgrey View Post
Hi, I am planning to pay the Karnataka LTT but I don't want to change my TN number plate as I will be returning in 3-4 years.
My query, for those who have done this, is do I have to surrender my RC card ?
If yes, what will I do when I return back to TN; wouldn't I be left with an KA RC card with TN number ?
Quote:
There is some confusion regarding this.
I was hoping I would get some information from somebody who has only paid the LTT and not opted for re-registration.
Hi,
You need to surrender your original RC only if you plan on re-registering your car in KA because you can't have 2 RCs for the same car.
If you're only planning to pay the Life-Time Road-Tax, you do not need to surrender the RC ( or any documentation for that matter ).
I've paid the Road-Tax for both my Altos in KA & keep copies of the respective receipts in my cars ( for the RTO "checks" ).
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 19:37   #1592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
I've paid the Road-Tax for both my Altos in KA & keep copies of the respective receipts in my cars ( for the RTO "checks" ).
The catch is that if you plan to ask an LTT refund, KA RTO would wash their hands off. The law only permits refund of LTT, for a vehicle registered in KA.
Old 16th June 2015, 20:31   #1593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Suresh, what do you have on you as proof of payment of LTT, invoice or RC smart card? Did you surrender any original documents?

Thanks.
I only have the challan mentioning that LTT has been paid. Here is the image of the same. I paid the amount in July 2013.

Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore-ltt.png
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 22:18   #1594
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Talking Re: Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore

Quote:
I am planning to pay the Karnataka LTT but I don't want to change my TN number plate as I will be returning in 3-4 years.
My query, for those who have done this, is do I have to surrender my RC card ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
If you're only planning to pay the Life-Time Road-Tax, you do not need to surrender the RC ( or any documentation for that matter ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
The catch is that if you plan to ask an LTT refund, KA RTO would wash their hands off.
The law only permits refund of LTT, for a vehicle registered in KA.
Yes, I was aware of this when I paid the Road-Tax, I'm not planning to claim anything from the KA RTO.
But you just got to love the thought-process behind such unidirectional "laws".
My only wish is that the law makers show the same enthusiasm to actually fix the roads as they show towards coming up with such "laws"

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I only have the challan mentioning that LTT has been paid.
Same here, & frankly that's all the "law makers" care about - getting their pound of flesh !
For all you know, you might even be allowed to drive here without a number-plate - so long as you've paid the "Road Tax"
-

Last edited by im_srini : 16th June 2015 at 22:26.
im_srini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 11:00   #1595
Senior - BHPian

In the wake of recent MOTOR PACT between India,Bangladesh,Nepal and Bhutan.

Here's one to Mr.Gadkari.

Waseem.....
Attached Thumbnails
Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore-letter-mr.gadkari.jpg  

SILVERWOOD is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 12:15   #1596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post

Waseem.....
Waseem, I hope you have not sent this letter already, because this would just trivialize the issue. All your work would be down the drain, because sarcasm doesn't sit well in official communications.

I understood that You/We want to enforce nationwide "One Nation One Car One Tax". From the various discussions that we had on this thread, I realise that this concept is not feasible.

Instead why don't you use this opportunity to push the Ministry for nation-wide fair, transparent and faster re-imbursements of LTT when moving from state to state?

Advantages :
- There is no change to the existing law of LTT transfer.
- Given a faster LTT re-imbursement, vehicle owners would have no issues paying the taxes on the states that they reside in. Any violators would have no moral grounds to contest the crack-down
- Once the motive for Tax evasion (due to bureaucratic red tape hassles) does not exist, the crime itself would be reduced

Just my thoughts on this.

Nijel
nijelj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 12:49   #1597
Senior - BHPian

Look at the way PF is transferred from one account to another these days. It is all online and once verified by the previous employer, it takes place within a matter of days.

Similarly if RTO Chennai were to transfer X amount to RTO bangalore, and a uniform tax rate was adopted countrywide (so you don't pay 75k in chennai versus 97k in bangalore for the same car)
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 12:56   #1598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
I understood that You/We want to enforce nationwide "One Nation One Car One Tax". From the various discussions that we had on this thread, I realise that this concept is not feasible.

Instead why don't you use this opportunity to push the Ministry for nation-wide fair, transparent and faster re-imbursements of LTT when moving from state to state?
Why isn't "One Nation One Car One Tax" not feasible? As far as I'm concerned asking me to pay LTT a second (and third and so on) time is illegal and immoral.
Old 17th June 2015, 12:56   #1599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post

Waseem.....
Hi Waseem, I am someone who has been following your great work on this initiative and always wondering how wonderfully you are managing the matters and putting so much of effort into this - including meeting the Union Minister to raise our concerns. However, I will have to agree with nikelj (quoted below) here. The sarcastic tone in the letter will make sure it will not get any attention from the ministry and also water down all the efforts you have made till date. I mean, the letter might not even reach the minister himself. If you have not sent this yet, I feel it will be better not to send it in this form. Just my 2 cents - you should know better.

Quote:
Waseem, I hope you have not sent this letter already, because this would just trivialize the issue. All your work would be down the drain, because sarcasm doesn't sit well in official communications.
Old 17th June 2015, 14:22   #1600
Senior - BHPian

Would this still remain an issue, once GST is implemented?
My understanding is the GST will include state levies like Karnataka Road Tax...
Old 17th June 2015, 17:12   #1601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677
Would this still remain an issue, once GST is implemented?
My understanding is the GST will include state levies like Karnataka Road Tax...
I don't think so. GST related amendments are ideally meant to ensure smooth flow of goods across the country. There are many taxes and octroi levies which gets added by the state when a product/goods is sold at that state. That would all get nullified, and a single GST would get collected. Based on a pre-arranged formula the taxes would be shared by the states and the central government. One important thing which would happen on the roads after GST gets rolled out is that the state level sales tax check posts would all become history. No more long line of trucks waiting with drivers holding up bundles of official forms.

Goods and Services Tax (India) Bill, has more details. But please note that this may not be 100% accurate. Motor Vehicle Taxation Acts are not similar to the Sales Tax, VAT etc., and hence they ideally would be out of the ambit of GST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD
Have your frusturation got the better of your, my dear sir? That letter would just negate any good work you have done so far. Nitin Gadkari would just laugh at this, and the letter would fly away to the nearest waste paper basket. Referring to a state of Indian Union, fully exercising its constitutionally provided rights as a "Republic of Karnataka", is not going to make people in the state happy either. If there is some legal insight on this issue, which you could have given to Gadkari it may have been better. Don't get me wrong, I detect a distinct loss of interest in the associations who tried to stop the KA RTO from collecting tax dues. Now it is more of having very one-sided reports in selected vernacular media, and sarcastic letters to ministers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand
Why isn't "One Nation One Car One Tax" not feasible? As far as I'm concerned asking me to pay LTT a second (and third and so on) time is illegal and immoral.
People here have discussed this in detail. Such a facility is not feasible, unless the rules and regulations at the central government level has been amended. Any thing is feasible, but the laws have to change. Currently state governments are not very happy to let go a "cash cow", which is fully in their grasp. Let the NTSB become the new Act regarding motor vehicles. We might see our own beloved politicians in Rajya Sabha scuttling such a move.
Old 17th June 2015, 18:53   #1602
Distinguished - BHPian

Just read this article about Waseem's( bhpian silverwood) efforts. Thought to share it here. Apologize if duplicate.

http://www.thebetterindia.com/25180/...n-the-country/

Waseem, All the best for your efforts.
Rajeevraj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 23:26   #1603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Railways,Waterways and Airways are managed by the central govt,Why not roadways.?

My PF account was transferred 5 times in last 16 years (all in diff states), even during early 2000 when accounts were not linked by a central server.

My bank account has traveled with me to 5 diff states with the same account No.Possibilities are limitless if there is an INTENT to do it.

There will be people like me who want the concept of India First and Indian First and there will always be people who will not want this to happen as they sell,reap and harvest ''Seeds Of Regionalism''.

OT:How many of us know the names and capital cities of all the NE states.Cheerapunji in Meghalaya gets the heaviest rainfall in India and Single Horned Rhino is found in Kaziranga national park which is in Assam.The entire history of these 7 beautiful states is dismissed in these two sentences and this is the beauty of our education system

Waseem.....
SILVERWOOD is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 21st June 2015, 03:08   #1604
BHPian

Is there any update on the hearing date? Bangalore is turning out to be a pain for me, I've been walking 10-13kms daily.
I would like To know one thing.
Earlier on we deduced that the hosur toll might work, and now I hear cases of people having their toll receipts torn by th
Officials.
I don't even know what to do now. The RTO amount for my car is 65k in Delhi and since it's only 6 months old, I can get quite of it back. Seems to me, paying the tax and re registering is the way to go now. That is unless there's another way to avoid going through all this hassle. Suggestions welcome. (PUC from TN? PUC from Delhi every month?)
Old 21st June 2015, 19:43   #1605
Distinguished - BHPian

Other states seem to be learning from Bangalore. Today was stopped in Chennai due to my KA regn. Very polite traffic inspector. But was asked to produce emission cert and toll receipts to show I was visiting and had not been in Chennai for long. I had every thing in order. Finally the inspector asked the constable who had stopped me if I was wearing seatbelt and he said no. I told that was not the case and I was wearing seatbelt. Let me go after that.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread