Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 21st June 2015, 21:50   #1606
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore

Now this is getting too much.

Non KA cars which were parked outside the apartments are being punctured where as the rest were intact.

Waseem
Attached Thumbnails
Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore-jh.jpg  

Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore-wb.jpg  

SILVERWOOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 12:34   #1607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD
Non KA cars which were parked outside the apartments are being punctured where as the rest were intact.
Not in any way saying that this boorish behaviour is good. But we can't blame the KA RTO for this one.

Last edited by bblost : 22nd June 2015 at 16:18. Reason: Quoted post deleted.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 12:37   #1608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Not in any way saying that this boorish behaviour is good. But we can't blame the KA RTO for this one.
Did someone identify the RTO as having done this (eg: the police sometimes deflate the tyres of wrongly parked cars), or was this the work of goons from some local political outfit that has a kannadiga plank?

@vigkey - one or two posts later .. again, any proof that RTO did this? Also - the police are not supposed to do it, but in cases where they don't have clamps handy or tow truck at their disposal they occasionally do deflate tyres, especially for two wheelers. I haven't yet seen them doing it for cars - and even for two wheelers I only saw them doing it in a small (district hq type) town I was living in some years back, so it may be a case of not particularly legal "policegiri"

Last edited by hserus : 22nd June 2015 at 13:04.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 12:42   #1609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Did someone identify the RTO as having done this (eg: the police sometimes deflate the tyres of wrongly parked cars), or was this the work of goons from some local political outfit that has a kannadiga plank?
Actually even the police cannot deflate the tyres. But I have seen them using wheel clamps to make the vehicle immobile or tow it away. But if non-KA vehicles are getting deliberately targeted, then there seems to be another "whisper campaign" going around. Better to at least inform the police of this issue.
Old 22nd June 2015, 12:49   #1610
BHPian

Quote:
Sachin, till date I had not protested to any of your views - even though I had many diametrically opposite views - simply because your views were all supporting the books and the rules. Since you were not emotional and basing your arguments on the rules, it will be wrong from my part to criticize that.

But today, how will you NOT BLAME the RTO for this?? If it is proved that this act was done by the RTO officials, how can you justify this one but?? I have the following questions (valid ONLY if this act was done by RTOs)
  • How can the RTO be sure this car was in Karnataka for more than 30 days, could this not be a car of an innocent visitor?
  • If the car was seen by the RTO for more than 30 days, How can the RTO be sure the tax was not paid for this car?
  • If the RTO has checked all records and ascertained that tax was not paid, Why was no notice being stuck on this car or why was no attempt made to trace the owner and sending him a notice?
  • If all that was done, and still no response from the owner, why was the car not taken to custody for being illegally present in the state of Karnataka?

What / who gives the RTO officials the right to puncture the car of a civilian, whatever wrong he has done? Is there any rule in the books that justify this act?? RTO is the one to be blamed for doing this act, if they actually did it. Totally illegal act, IMO.

Again, if your post is based on the argument that it was NOT done by the RTO guys, then my questions need not be answered.

Last edited by Vigkey : 22nd June 2015 at 12:51.
Old 22nd June 2015, 13:02   #1611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey
Again, if your post is based on the argument that it was NOT done by the RTO guys, then my questions need not be answered.
At present I don't think we can presume that the KA RTO did this. Even SILVERWOOD has not explicitly said that. And I cannot support the RTO or any other person who have done this, as this is a pure and simple offence/crime.
Old 22nd June 2015, 13:34   #1612
BHPian

I dont think RTO has done this since I was not at the spot. But I wont be surprised (Sarcasm), if I see people defending them since they have done for a cause and "you have not paid the tax"

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 22nd June 2015 at 13:58.
::CMS:: is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 13:51   #1613
Senior - BHPian

Doing that is indefensible - they don't have any right to do it and nor do the police or anyone else. If a car isn't tax paid it can be seized / towed till such time as the owner pays tax and that is fine. It can't be deflated or otherwise damaged.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 18:02   #1614
BHPian

my KA car which was "supposedly parked illegally" (there was no No Parking board) had its left front sidewall punctured by a KA cop. He did not have clamps, he did not have the parking fine notice, he did not have the patience to wait for atleast 10 mins before getting the needle out. This was non-peak hour and the road is not a traffic congested road. It was a good samaritan auto-wallah who told me of this act by the KA traffic cop, once I was about to start the vehicle. I was away for 20 mins.
In my mind, KA cops are nothing short of thugs - if one bad apple spoils the whole basket - so be it - I have seen them, live, doing hafta-vasooli from supermarkets and grocery shops. There was no "attempt" at secrecy - openly walk in, openly stuff a wad of notes into the pocket and walk away. I have seen them steal money from push cart vendors who are moving the cart through the road.
Although I don't have direct experience of KA RTO guys, in my mind, they would be worse (since the scale of money involved is many-fold compared to traffic cops). So this puncturing of non-KA car tyres has an EXTREMELY high probability of being done by thugs hired by KA RTO (could be police, could be serial criminals who just want money for their next drug "fix" ).
If it was "regionalism" driven morcha activists, the damange would not just be punctured tyres - we would have seen broken windshields and bent body panels - this looks like something done with surgical accuracy - whatever can be done by paying the least to the "doers".
venkyhere is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 20:41   #1615
BHPian

@hserus: I had parked my car in front of our new hospital, albeit in front of a no parking sign. But the civic authorities had already approved the removal of said sign but the local police station had not done it yet. This is about 250 mts from Gorguntapalya signal. RNS motors and Taj Vivanta which are much closer to the signal do not have any 'no parking' sign in front of them. A roving traffic SI deflated one of my tires and threw away the pin. And all 4 tiers of a fellow doctor and of a cargo van.
On complaining to the higher authorities, the SI was suspended. But yes they do resort to these tactics in Bangalore city too.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 05:39   #1616
Senior - BHPian

I see that. Good for you that you complained - and good for the BTP that they suspended him as a result.
Old 23rd June 2015, 07:06   #1617
BHPian

A tip that I always do when I park my Vespa - always take a pic of your vehicle ( with mobile phone) with the footpath/nearside visible. That way you have proof that there is/was no board or you were not in the way of others. I had once been towed but upon showing the pic the attitude of the police guy completely changed. Arrogant to apologetic in blink of an eye.
blackwasp is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 10:17   #1618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere
In my mind, KA cops are nothing short of thugs - if one bad apple spoils the whole basket - so be it - I have seen them, live, doing hafta-vasooli from supermarkets and grocery shops. There was no "attempt" at secrecy - openly walk in, openly stuff a wad of notes into the pocket and walk away.
I perfectly agree with you. But my next question is, which state police is better (and the best)? We will have to live with the fact that Police would be a "necessary evil".

Quote:
So this puncturing of non-KA car tyres has an EXTREMELY high probability of being done by thugs hired by KA RTO (could be police, could be serial criminals who just want money for their next drug "fix"
Probable, yes and no. Unless there is some proof to say that KA RTO (or their agents) did this, it would just remain an unsubstantiated claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp
That way you have proof that there is/was no board or you were not in the way of others.
I don't think the traffic police (or BBMP) will have to fix boards on every inch of a "No Parking Zone". In a few places I have seen that a board is kept, and there would be a smaller board which clearly says "50ms on both sides" (meaning 50mts on both sides of the board are no-parking zone). So if some one parks his vehicle say 30mts away from this board, he cannot argue that there was no board out there and so he did not know about it.
Old 23rd June 2015, 11:11   #1619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
A tip that I always do when I park my Vespa - always take a pic of your vehicle ( with mobile phone) with the footpath/nearside visible. That way you have proof that there is/was no board or you were not in the way of others. I had once been towed but upon showing the pic the attitude of the police guy completely changed. Arrogant to apologetic in blink of an eye.
Or the best thing to do is buy a dash cam that records if it detects a movement.In fact the Transcend drivepro 220 has the feature.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 23rd June 2015 at 11:13.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 11:35   #1620
BHPian

Quote:

So if some one parks his vehicle say 30mts away from this board, he cannot argue that there was no board out there and so he did not know about it.
What I meant was you scan your surroundings and then take a pic. Obviously if you park in a No parking zone its your fault, but if there is lack of proper signage then taking a photo can help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Or the best thing to do is buy a dash cam that records if it detects a movement.In fact the Transcend drivepro 220 has the feature.
Absolutely spot on, but for a 2 wheeler we'll need a waterproof one or mount a GoPro to the helmet.
Closed Thread