Closed Thread

Old 22nd July 2015, 13:13   #1666
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore

Phamilyman shares the following update:

Quote:
http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/48118334.cms

Things get even tougher for folks. Weekend trips across the border may themselves come under the scanner.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 11:06   #1667
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Soumyajit9 for sharing this news.

Link to full Deccan Chronicle Article

Quote:
Are you an owner of a vehicle bearing non-Karnataka registration number? Then beware! This time it’s not the RTO officials who are keeping an eye on you, but a vigilante group on the net who are allegedly breaching the privacy of many owners of such vehicles. They are hacking into their Facebook accounts to steal the pictures of their vehicles and then putting them on their public group. It doesn’t end here, after putting up the profile, the group members indulge in racial abuse and reportedly threaten those owners to report their vehicles to RTO officials and Bengaluru traffic police.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 08:46   #1668
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Sachinpk for sharing!

Quote:
The RTI application I filed with the Bangalore RTO has finally been responded to. The Bangalore city RTO also had pro-actively forwarded my application to RTO check posts on the A.P Border, but they did not have the information I asked for. I had asked for a breakup of the tax collected through enforcement and through voluntary payment, but this was NOT provided. So I will have to go with an assumption that they don't formally record the way in which the LTT was collected.

In the year 2012-2013, non-KA vehicles which paid up the LTT were 117 Motor cycles and 197 LMV. The year 2013-2014 (when the amendment was brought in) there is an increase in the number of two wheelers which paid up the LTT. The LMV numbers have actually come down. Don't know if this is because more two wheeler riders decided to pay up, as the LTT would be less. The year 2015 (till May), clearly shows a very strong drive. Only 88 motor cycles have paid up the LTT, but the LMV numbers have really shot up to 575. It is more or less a 300% increase from the year 2013. So most likely the recently held drives all focused on LMVs, off course for the reason being the LTT is really huge. The LTT collected in a half year period have exceeded 5 crores !!

The RTI application response is attached
Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore-eje1tsu.jpg
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 22:57   #1669
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to silversteed for sharing.

Quote:
Here's a report on the Court proceedings:
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...ece?ref=tpnews

Awaiting more updates in the coming days. Waseem & co are doing a great job of following up with the advocate, in the interest of the greater good

Last edited by GTO : 6th August 2015 at 13:52.
Jaggu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 10:14   #1670
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to sachinpk for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk
I received another letter by registered post today, and it was the response for the RTI application I had filed. This response from the Deputy Commissioner for Transport, Bangalore South. The earlier RTI response was from the This response from the Deputy Commissioner for Transport, Bangalore North. I did not have to file individual applications to all these RTO offices, my original application was transferred to all of them and the responses were sent directly to me. None of the check posts to which the application was forwarded responded with data. They clearly said, the data is NOT available for them.

The Bangalore South RTO, also has NOT responded in a way which would help my analysis. They have not given a breakup of the vehicle types, nor they have given the breakup on voluntary payment or fines & tax collected by RTO squads. So the only pattern I could recognize was the steady increase in the LTT tax revenue through the years. And by May 2015, it has reached a whopping level of 1274 vehicles paying up LTT worth Rs. 5 crores. The vehicles who had the LTT paid doubled from 2014, to 2015 (mid-year).

Both Bangalore North and South RTOs, have collected approximately Rs.10 crores as LTT during this year (2015) till May !! Nearly 5 times more the amount collected as LTT during the year 2013.

Link to the RTO response http://imgur.com/vrDembu
Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore-rt.jpg
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 15:21   #1671
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to sachinpk for sharing.

Quote:
Over the last one week, I got responses from the Bangalore West & East RTOs as well. With that, the RTOs of all the major RTO jurisdictions in the city have responded to my RTI query. Surprisingly the Bangalore East RTO, were unable to give the figures of LTT collected and as per them there have not been any tax collection drive organised by them during this year.

Information received from Bangalore West RTO (http://imgur.com/aLKfb9s)
Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore-1.jpg
Information received from Bangalore West RTO (http://imgur.com/jOL7GPA)
Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore-2.jpg

Quote:
With the data now available from all the four RTOs within Bangalore city, I decided to do some quick data collation and charting. I am also attaching a table and chart which has the collated information.

1. Bangalore North RTO gets the first prize (and cup) for levying the maximum LTT during the year 2015 (till May). Bangalore South RTO comes a close second. I need to see which are the areas which are covered by these RTOs. But my gut feeling is that areas like Hebbal (Manyata Tech Park??) etc. come under the North RTO, and many of the big residential & office areas (Jaya Nagar etc.) comes under the jurisdiction of the South RTO. Perhaps these may also be areas where people with slightly higher range of income operate out of.
2. The Bangalore South RTO gets the price for detaining (and checking) the maximum number of vehicles.
3. Bangalore West RTO does not seem to have worked very actively on the LTT collection drives, and I also feel that they may not get many non-KA vehicles in that part of the city (Magadi Road etc. etc.). Their overall tax collection over the last three years seems to be at a very low rate.
4. What surprised me was the data I got from the Bangalore East RTO. Considering that their area is one of the most posh parts of the city, with large number of residential blocks and office establishments, they seem to have not done any major enforcement drives. Or is it that this area perhaps all though being posh, also has the old timer citizenry of Bangalore settled there? That is folks, who by and large use KA registered vehicles and settled down in Bangalore for good?

Data (http://imgur.com/90f8s2T):
Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore-90f8s2t.jpg

Chart (http://imgur.com/mABum9t):
Name:  mABum9t.jpg
Views: 5935
Size:  42.7 KB

PS: Please feel free to use this data for any of your analysis. Errors and Ommissions regretted.

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th August 2015 at 16:15. Reason: Fixing images/links
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 10:15   #1672
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to sachinpk for sharing this update:

Quote:
Massive checks by RTO squads in front of Wipro Gate at Electronics city today (11th Sep, 2015 0920Hrs). Seems to be a joint operation along with Traffic Police, as I could see Electronics City Traffic PS Inspector personally present with his team.

Two RTO jeeps parked on both sides of Wipro's parking area. As my vehicle crossed the point the MVI was busy giving a receipt/summons to a woman.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2015, 08:54   #1673
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to SILVERWOOD for sharing this update:

Quote:
Dear Friends,
WP-1 was heard sometime back.
The Additional Advocate General appeared today on behalf of the govt.
The Honourable Judge asked the Additional Advocate General the reason for such amendment and he replied that Karnataka residents are buying cars in Pondicherry to evade Road Tax.
The Honourable Judge also asked about the yearly tax option for non Karnataka registered vehicles and the Govt Advocate said that their is no such provision available for now.
The Honourable Judge has asked both the lawyers to argue on Points in the next and FINAL hearing which will be on 1st October 2015 .
All the best guys.
Jai Hind
Waseem
Aditya is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 11:33   #1674
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sachinpk shares the following update:

Quote:
Update in The Hindu
Intensive checking by the RTO in several areas
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...628.ece?w=city.

Looks like the North Zone RTO wants to continue holding the cup for checking the maximum vehicles & collecting the maximum amount as taxes.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 08:53   #1675
Team-BHP Support

Sachinpk shares the following update:

Quote:
Mathrubhumi (Malayalam) news paper's Bangalore edition reports that the case on LLT has been adjourned to 29th October, 2015. The court has not given out any verdict. Unfortunately the report did not have any information on the legal points which were debated. It was more off the the Facebook group and its membership count etc.
Old 17th October 2015, 00:32   #1676
Distinguished - BHPian

theexperthand shares the following update:

Quote:
kayukta police on Thursday raided the office and residences of a senior motor vehicles inspector with the office of the Electronic City Regional Transport Office (RTO). The raids were conducted based on a complaint by one Viji Mohan. Viji Mohan had in his complaint stated that he was made to pay Rs. 20,000 illegally by the official under the scanner, B Thippeswamy.

Source
Technocrat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 01:22   #1677
Distinguished - BHPian

SILVERWOOD shares the following update:

Quote:
Dear Friends,

Apologies for the delay in my post.I am sure you all must be waiting with bated breath.
Our WP was not heard today because of lack of time

The status shown in the website of our WP is ''Released from Part Heard''.It means that the trial is not completely heard by the judge and it will now be heard by an another Judge in the next hearing.This is because the current Judge will be moving to Gulbarga High Court Bench for 10-12 weeks on rotation.

We will get to know the next hearing date in a week's time and the hearing will most likely be in January.

I will keep you all updated on the next hearing date.

Jai Hind.

Waseem.
Technocrat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 22:06   #1678
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached

Some good news. From the earlier 30 days this could go to 90 days. Much relief for the out of state commuters on short trips.

Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore-img20160221wa0077.jpg
Image courtesy: SILVERWOOD

Last edited by Vid6639 : 23rd February 2016 at 23:24.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 22:09   #1679
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached

Meanwhile the case was finally heard in the High court yesterday and has been reserved for judgement. The judgement should happen in the next 2-3 weeks.

SILVERWOOD shares the following update:

Quote:
Dear Friends,

Our case was finally heard yesterday and is reserved for JUDGEMENT.

The arguments lasted for more than 90 minutes.The additional advocate general represented the government today.

The judgement should happen next 2-3 weeks.

Pray, Pray and Pray that we emerge victorious.

Jai Hind.....

Waseem.....
Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore-img20160223wa0018.jpg

Last edited by Vid6639 : 23rd February 2016 at 23:29.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th March 2016, 22:40   #1680
Team-BHP Support

Waseem shares a crucial update:

Quote:
Dear Friends,

Tomorrow is the day we have been waiting from last 14 odd months. Our case is listed for tomorrow for Final JUDGEMENT at Court Hall No.11.The list Is 1 and the serial no. Is 1 as well.

Please Pray, Pray & Pray that we emerge victorious. I have full faith in our Judiciary and I am sure that the state sponsored tax terrorism will come to an end.

I will update you all as soon as the verdict is pronounced. I request each one of you to keep your cool and remain calm. Any remark made against the Judiciary is treated as contempt and we all are aware of the repercussions.

Jai Hind.

Waseem Memon
Gannu_1 is offline   (13) Thanks
Closed Thread