Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 28th May 2014, 10:43   #346
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhiraj View Post
...2 I have all the documents except for the original invoice of the bike. Can they calculate the tax without it?...
In case you do NOT have the original invoice, then you can request your dealer for an invoice copy with the price of the bike around the time of buying. In one of the posts, it was mentioned that the RTO guys do accept it.
Old 28th May 2014, 10:55   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Question:
Can you pay tax without changing the documents and number to reflect your status in KA.

10 years ago, I had a KL registered RX 100. I used to get into such issues, many a times they let me go for a chai paani stuff. One day an RTO guy said I need to pay the tax. I was ready and asked him to raise a ticket. He refused and said I can pay only if I re register the vehicle to KA. I told him I am ready, just issue me the violation notice to start the procedure. He did not know what to say, he warned me and send me away.

I on my own then tried to pay the road tax, some 1000 odd that time. The RTO guys did not accept. Finally I did a re registration and paid them together for some 1500 ish.

This is the reason why I asked? Are things different now?
Old 28th May 2014, 12:42   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Now they are not concerned about changing number. Well, it is additional burden for them so why bother. Pay the tax and show the tax receipt next time they stop you. However this way you are not required to get NOC from your earlier RTO. If you manage to get NOC later on you can provide that and the receipt to KA RTO and request for re-registration (change to KA number).
Old 28th May 2014, 12:42   #349
Senior - BHPian

Today spotted RTO checking at Bannerghatta/NICE road junction.
Old 28th May 2014, 14:23   #350
Senior - BHPian

Today around 10 AM - RTO officials were checking all out of state vehicles near Electronic City Wipro (Neeladri Road). Could see many out of state vehicles from KL, TN, AP, UP, CH etc.

Last edited by Latheesh : 28th May 2014 at 14:24.
Old 29th May 2014, 07:43   #351
BHPian

Sirs ,
My RC book says that my taxes are paid till 2024 .Does that mean that LTT for my vehicle has been paid. Do i have to pay annual road tax again.
I am not based in Karnataka
Regards
Sumit
Old 29th May 2014, 08:20   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Question:
Can you pay tax without changing the documents and number to reflect your status in KA.

10 years ago, I had a KL registered RX 100. I used to get into such issues, many a times they let me go for a chai paani stuff. One day an RTO guy said I need to pay the tax. I was ready and asked him to raise a ticket. He refused and said I can pay only if I re register the vehicle to KA. I told him I am ready, just issue me the violation notice to start the procedure. He did not know what to say, he warned me and send me away.

I on my own then tried to pay the road tax, some 1000 odd that time. The RTO guys did not accept. Finally I did a re registration and paid them together for some 1500 ish.

This is the reason why I asked? Are things different now?
You can. I paid road tax for both car and scooter (TN registration) this March at the Yelahanka RTO. However, beware - majority of the people at the RTO will ask you to bring NOC, but make sure you check with the higher officials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsumit View Post
Sirs ,
My RC book says that my taxes are paid till 2024 .Does that mean that LTT for my vehicle has been paid. Do i have to pay annual road tax again.
Regards
Sumit
If you have paid LTT in Mumbai, thats not enough to please these guys. You will need to pay LTT in bangalore once again, if you are caught without proof of a short visit (less than 30 days!) or caught outside any of the IT parks.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 29th May 2014 at 08:23.
Old 29th May 2014, 11:32   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsumit View Post
Sirs ,
Regards
Sumit
You have paid LTT for your vehicle in the state you have bought the vehicle. But if you move to a different state, you will have to pay road tax for that state to use your vehicle there. Hope this helps, else please provide more details on your query!
Old 29th May 2014, 12:09   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Question:
Yes you can pay tax without changing number. RTO might not bother you after paying tax. But Traffic police can still bother you, Traffic police will ask you for NOC, and NOC is valid for 6 months. So you have to keep renewing NOC to avoid trouble from traffic police.

Also there is a policy that you have to transfer your vehicle to state registration within 1 year of shifting, so RTO can still target you based on this.

Also you can apply for refund from parent RTO only if you register in new state, paying tax wont get you refund.

Last edited by shamanth : 29th May 2014 at 12:11.
Old 29th May 2014, 12:21   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Yes you can pay tax without changing number. RTO might not bother you after paying tax. But Traffic police can still bother you, Traffic police will ask you for NOC, and NOC is valid for 6 months. So you have to keep renewing NOC to avoid trouble from traffic police.

Also there is a policy that you have to transfer your vehicle to state registration within 1 year of shifting, so RTO can still target you based on this.

Also you can apply for refund from parent RTO only if you register in new state, paying tax wont get you refund.
In my case, when i went to koramangala RTO for paying tax for my TN registered Santro, the concerned person there said it is not mandatory to get NOC.
But as per rules, within 1 year of paying tax, we have to apply for the current state registration by getting NOC from the parent state.

Traffic police will not bother us with NOC, tax etc. They are concerned with only traffic violation. It is the RTO guys who can question us on these aspects.
Old 5th June 2014, 12:47   #356
Senior - BHPian

State finances have been deteriorating with populist schemes like the "Anna Bhagya" , Source

Where does the money come from ? Taxing out of state vehicles - easy soft targets - by amending the KMV Taxation act - is one of the options the government chose. This thoroughly goes against the idea of one country where people can move freely between states.

Btw, the "entry tax" that was levied by out of state vehicles in KA was earlier struck down by the KA High Court on similar grounds , see Source (Is entry tax in Karnataka done away with?)

Slightly off topic, but Karnataka also plans to introduce luxury taxes on marriages , Source . Probably after a few days birth of children will be taxed as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post

Traffic police will not bother us with NOC, tax etc. They are concerned with only traffic violation. It is the RTO guys who can question us on these aspects.
You will be surprised to read section 11 of the KMV taxation act , that empowers a cop to stop a vehicle and examine if taxes has been paid.

Overall the rules are framed to thoroughly harass the ordinary man. Call this "additional responsibility" for the cops, LOL.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 5th June 2014 at 13:14.
sdp1975 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 16:23   #357
BHPian

"Hell hath no fury like a KA Policeman scorned".

We do have instances where non KA registered vehicles are harassed in coastal Karnataka (though not as vigorous as Bangalore) . Was wondering, how is the treatment in other states in similar situations. Is teh same degree of difficulty (or worse) experienced?

cheers
AG
Old 5th June 2014, 19:35   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun27g View Post

We do have instances where non KA registered vehicles are harassed in coastal Karnataka (though not as vigorous as Bangalore) . Was wondering, how is the treatment in other states in similar situations. Is teh same degree of difficulty (or worse) experienced?...
I think ONLY KA does this kind of torture. Kerala RTO had a check in between; but that was ONLY for PY registered vehicles, especially luxury cars.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 22:59   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun27g View Post

We do have instances where non KA registered vehicles are harassed in coastal Karnataka (though not as vigorous as Bangalore) . Was wondering, how is the treatment in other states in similar situations. Is teh same degree of difficulty (or worse) experienced?

cheers
AG
I have a couple of friends who have kerala and andhra registered vehicles for 2 years or so, without being bothered by chennai police, so i guess no trouble here for other state cars.
Raghav_K is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 08:40   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I think ONLY KA does this kind of torture. Kerala RTO had a check in between; but that was ONLY for PY registered vehicles, especially luxury cars.
It is torture indeed. Fails to make sense to me, as laws such as these, take away the essence of being in 1 country. In my opinion, the grouse of the PY registered car has to be addressed with the PY government rather than the vehicle which opts to take advantage of such laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post
I have a couple of friends who have kerala and andhra registered vehicles for 2 years or so, without being bothered by chennai police, so i guess no trouble here for other state cars.
My experience has also been similar, drove a KA21 registered car in Odisha (mainly Bhubaneshwar) for almost 3 years without a single harrasment.

cheers

AG
Closed Thread