Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 18th June 2014, 08:39   #421
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: 2000 Mercedes E-Class lifetime tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post

Assuming the invoice price of this E-Class 250D in 2000 was say, 40 lakhs, 18% works out to 7.2 lakhs for a new vehicle. If the car is 14 years old, I have to pay 29% of 7.2 lakhs or 2.08 lakhs as Karnataka lifetime tax. Now what I am not entirely sure of is whether this is for 1 year (up to 15 years) or whether it is for more.

If the car is older than 15 years, then I must get it inspected and apparently shell out 1.8 lakhs every five years.
On the first part, you are correct, you will need to pay road tax on its invoiced value i.e 0.29 X 0.18 = 5.22% of the cars original value!

You do not need to pay this every 5 years, only the re-registration fee

bottom line - look for something locally and buy!
Old 18th June 2014, 09:52   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post

Assuming the invoice price of this E-Class 250D in 2000 was say, 40 lakhs, 18% works out to 7.2 lakhs for a new vehicle. If the car is 14 years old, I have to pay 29% of 7.2 lakhs or 2.08 lakhs as Karnataka lifetime tax. Now what I am not entirely sure of is whether this is for 1 year (up to 15 years) or whether it is for more.
Good point which needs some clarification. Car is 14 years old and if you pay lifetime tax now, will it be just for 1 year? I think so. And do cars older then 15 years need to get re-certified and pay the road tax again?
Old 18th June 2014, 10:29   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Car is 14 years old and if you pay lifetime tax now, will it be just for 1 year? I think so. And do cars older then 15 years need to get re-certified and pay the road tax again?
In KA the tax is valid for the "lifetime" of the vehicle.

You will still need to register your vehicle again and pay a nominal 'green tax' after 15 years when the registration expires, but no road tax.
sdp1975 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 10:30   #424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
...You do not need to pay this every 5 years, only the re-registration fee...
How is the tax paid after 15 years? In a span of 5 years each? And what is the percentage of tax? Same as the life time tax percentage?

Edit::

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Actually we are leaving Jharkhand for good and am settled in Bangalore. Intend to use the vehicle here for just 1-1.5 years max as its barely run for 10k kms in 4 years there...
To be honest, you are better off selling your car in your native itself than paying the taxes for just 1 more year. The tax amount would NOT justify your short term usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToughRider View Post
...I came to Bangalore in 2011 with my Santro Xing and sold in Nov 2012 in exchange for brand new Ritz VDi in Bangalore itself. I went to Bimal MASS B G road, grabbed a deal in some mega car exchange carnival, handed over the car and NOC on the very last day. I didn't pay the road tax of KA..
By doing it you may NOT get the BEST value for your car. But if you can overlook that loss, it's a good way to dispose your other state car.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 18th June 2014 at 10:51. Reason: Added "Edit" portion
Old 20th June 2014, 11:02   #425
BHPian

Massive RTO check in progress near Hebbal flyover on the way to Manyata Tech Park.
Old 20th June 2014, 11:33   #426
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Massive RTO check in progress near Hebbal flyover on the way to Manyata Tech Park.
Wednesday, found them just before Marthahalli bridge on outer ring road.

Btw, anybody have the tax structure for older vehicles? The chart available few pages back shows only up to six years.
Old 20th June 2014, 11:42   #427
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Saw them stopping other state vehicles near Wipro - Neeladri Road Ecity yesterday. Could see more than 10 vehicles with UP, DL, TN, AP, KL registered vehicles.
Old 20th June 2014, 11:45   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes seeing them regularly now. Lots of AP, TN, UA, etc. vehicles impounded.

And you know what, for the last 1.5 year, there was no checking at Manyata and North bangalore in general. I used to bring my DL registered Spark without any fear. But just a month back sent the DL registered car back home and bought myself a KA registered Xcent.

Talk about luck ! hehe touchwood.
Old 20th June 2014, 11:47   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Wednesday, found them just before Marthahalli bridge on outer ring road.

Btw, anybody have the tax structure for older vehicles? The chart available few pages back shows only up to six years.
Hope this helps

Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore-tax.jpg
suresh_gs is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 12:44   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Yes seeing them regularly now. Lots of AP, TN, UA, etc. vehicles impounded.

And you know what, for the last 1.5 year, there was no checking at Manyata and North bangalore in general. I used to bring my DL registered Spark without any fear. But just a month back sent the DL registered car back home and bought myself a KA registered Xcent.

Talk about luck ! hehe touchwood.
I am thinking on the same lines now. I have a TN registered Figo which I was been planning to keep for another year atmost. Now I am under the dilemma if I should sell it and buy a KA vehicle or if I should pay the tax.
Old 20th June 2014, 13:28   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am thinking on the same lines now. I have a TN registered Figo which I was been planning to keep for another year atmost. Now I am under the dilemma if I should sell it and buy a KA vehicle or if I should pay the tax.
If you know the invoice value of your car, then proceed to calculate tax after considering depreciation (based on age of the vehicle). Compare this calculated value with that of the LTT paid in TN and then take a call whether it is worth paying road tax in KA or buying a new car in KA.
Even i have a TN registered santro for which i paid the LTT in KA last year. The amount came to Rs 32407 (4 yr old car) while the LTT paid in chennai at the time of purchase was Rs 23960.
suresh_gs is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 13:50   #432
BHPian

Was it during the peak hours? I mean the morning office hours ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Saw them stopping other state vehicles near Wipro - Neeladri Road Ecity yesterday. Could see more than 10 vehicles with UP, DL, TN, AP, KL registered vehicles.
Old 20th June 2014, 13:54   #433
Senior - BHPian

^^
@sajusherief - No it was around 11.45 AM
Old 20th June 2014, 14:50   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
If you know the invoice value of your car, then proceed to calculate tax after considering depreciation (based on age of the vehicle). Compare this calculated value with that of the LTT paid in TN and then take a call whether it is worth paying road tax in KA or buying a new car in KA.
Even i have a TN registered santro for which i paid the LTT in KA last year. The amount came to Rs 32407 (4 yr old car) while the LTT paid in chennai at the time of purchase was Rs 23960.
Your calculation was really helpful.

I did a quick check based on that and assuming the Ex-showroom price to be around 5.6 lakhs back in 2011, the tax comes around Rs 63,504.

0.14*0.81*560000 = 63504.

60k is a substantial amount and I am not sure if it will be worth if I plan to have this car only for another year.
Old 20th June 2014, 15:03   #435
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It may NOT be worth if you plan to keep the car ONLY for a year (even if you pay the KA taxes). Else that would be a wise move to use the car a lot more to take advantage of the tax paid.
Closed Thread