Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 30th June 2014, 12:24   #481

Default Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

The actual Bangalore road tax is in the range of 72-74K for the model I have. I'm assuming I'll have to pay less than that - perhaps around 60K?

The good thing is that the current registration was in a small town, costed me 45K. So either way I look at it, my (double) LTT is in the range of 1L.

If I take it back and sell it, I will lose more even though the car is just 1 year old and driven less than 10K km.

Overall, at this point it seems like less headache to pay this instead of taking it back, selling, closing the loan, coming back, buying, taking a loan again. The advantage is that, but spending a bit more, I can get a newer car. Again, not sure if it is worth....

Is there any penalty for this late payment of LTT in Bangalore or is it that one just pays it when asked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Are you sure its less than 50K? For my 5 year old Punto, the LTT is working out to close to 60K. For a one year old D'Zire, it should be around a lakh then.

IMHO, it would be better to sell off you current car in your native state and get a new one here.
Old 30th June 2014, 12:25   #482
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by samking View Post
...Less than 50K for LTT v/s double that amount loss in re-sale value...
No way it's gonna be less than 50K ! My guess is somewhere around a lakh! Is your Dzire a petrol one? Otherwise, you should get really good re-sale on your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Are you sure its less than 50K? For my 5 year old Punto, the LTT is working out to close to 60K. For a one year old D'Zire, it should be around a lakh then...
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidmetal99 View Post
So whats the nearest out of state toll booth from Bangalore? Looks like i might have to make a weekend trip there.
Hosur should be the closest for you. But mind you, a toll receipt alone may NOT help you. Others have suggested having DL from your home town / service bills etc. So please be prepared if you want to dodge.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 30th June 2014 at 12:27.
Old 30th June 2014, 13:04   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any penalty for this late payment of LTT in Bangalore or is it that one just pays it when asked?
I will quote my case here. I relocated to Bangalore from Chennai in May 2011. For 2 years i drove the vehicle without paying road tax in KA. Finally when the drive to catch outstation cars picked up, i went to Koramangala RTO to pay tax voluntarily.
The RTO authorities in koramangala did not ask me to prove when i shifted to bangalore. They computed the tax based on the age of the vehicle and i produced the DD for the same.
All is well.
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 13:14   #484

Mine is an Lxi - basemodel in petrol. The new car tax in Bangalore seems to be 72-74K, so what and when I have to pay cannot be more than that unless I have to pay a fine along with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
No way it's gonna be less than 50K ! My guess is somewhere around a lakh! Is your Dzire a petrol one? Otherwise, you should get really good re-sale on your car.

+1

Hosur should be the closest for you. But mind you, a toll receipt alone may NOT help you. Others have suggested having DL from your home town / service bills etc. So please be prepared if you want to dodge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I will quote my case here. I relocated to Bangalore from Chennai in May 2011. For 2 years i drove the vehicle without paying road tax in KA. Finally when the drive to catch outstation cars picked up, i went to Koramangala RTO to pay tax voluntarily.
The RTO authorities in koramangala did not ask me to prove when i shifted to bangalore. They computed the tax based on the age of the vehicle and i produced the DD for the same.
All is well.
I am hoping it works the same way even for 'non-voluntary' payment

Last edited by bblost : 30th June 2014 at 13:21.
Old 30th June 2014, 13:24   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am hoping it works the same way even for 'non-voluntary' payment
KA RTO will be more than happy to accept such road tax payments voluntarily. After all the govt has to fill it's coffers.
Old 30th June 2014, 13:35   #486

Well, I'd rather hold on to my money if I can. If the involuntary payment process is not very painful, then I'm more in favor of that.
Old 30th June 2014, 15:18   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I'd rather hold on to my money if I can. If the involuntary payment process is not very painful, then I'm more in favor of that.
Well, I had always thought that it is cheaper to sell of the car and buy a new one here than paying "lifetime" tax. Did somebody do the math before they decided to pay?
Old 30th June 2014, 16:02   #488

A lot of that depends on the car and its resale value.

IMHO, most cars will sell for at least 1 lakh less than the on-road, add to that the interest paid to the bank.
I paid 5.25 for the car, 45 as LTT = 5.70L on road price.

Now, I looked online to buy a car with the specs '2013 LXI Dzire' - the average price is 4.50 or less. Considering that I would have to spend a few weeks in MH to sell and get a higher price - it is quite likely that if I sell, I will bite the bullet and sell to a dealer to save time (save time = lose money in this case).

So anyway I chop it, the tax for a new car is 72K - I will not be asked to pay more than that - selling is a loss of 1K. I can bear the selling loss if the car is a few years old, but for a 1 year old, I think it is quite a bit!

Side story: I sold me KA registered i10 Magna last year - I got 1L less than the on-road price for a 3.5 years old car! I'd say good deal!
But it took me a few weeks to find a buyer willing to pay the price I wanted.

Again, if my math or logic is off-track here, please help! I need to know if the above is just my own self-convincing logic or it makes sense to others

thanks!
sam
samking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 18:45   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car is a year old Dzire.
Quote:
The actual Bangalore road tax is in the range of 72-74K for the model I have. I'm assuming I'll have to pay less than that - perhaps around 60K?
(Info from AP/Hyderabad) For cars that are less than 2 years old, it is 100% - ie, no depreciation - when computing the road tax for transferred cars.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 19:14   #490
BHPian

Quote:
A lot of that depends on the car and its resale value.

IMHO, most cars will sell for at least 1 lakh less than the on-road, add to that the interest paid to the bank.
I paid 5.25 for the car, 45 as LTT = 5.70L on road price.

Now, I looked online to buy a car with the specs '2013 LXI Dzire' - the average price is 4.50 or less. Considering that I would have to spend a few weeks in MH to sell and get a higher price - it is quite likely that if I sell, I will bite the bullet and sell to a dealer to save time (save time = lose money in this case).

So anyway I chop it, the tax for a new car is 72K - I will not be asked to pay more than that - selling is a loss of 1K. I can bear the selling loss if the car is a few years old, but for a 1 year old, I think it is quite a bit!

Side story: I sold me KA registered i10 Magna last year - I got 1L less than the on-road price for a 3.5 years old car! I'd say good deal!
But it took me a few weeks to find a buyer willing to pay the price I wanted.

Again, if my math or logic is off-track here, please help! I need to know if the above is just my own self-convincing logic or it makes sense to others

thanks!
sam
The way I was calculating was simple:

Say, you have a 10L car, which is 5 years old, for which 5L is the current (re)sale value. Due to you selling in Bangalore, you would lose say 10-20%. So you get only 4-4.5L. So that means, if you have to buy the same car(model/variant/year), you have to shell 50K-1Lac from your pocket.

Now, if you keep your car pay LTT instead, you would have to pay about 16% LTT prorated for 10 years. So for 10L, it is 1.2L for 15 years, which becomes 1 lac if prorated for 10 years.

It is a bit different for very new vehicles. For example inn your case:

New car price: 5.9L
Current resale: 4.5L
If sold in BLR : 4L
So to buy another car, shell 90K from your pocket.

LTT in BLR - 75K
LTT for 14Y - 70K

You save 20K. Congrats!

Last edited by blacksport : 30th June 2014 at 19:25.
Old 1st July 2014, 13:06   #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
(Info from AP/Hyderabad) For cars that are less than 2 years old, it is 100% - ie, no depreciation - when computing the road tax for transferred cars.
Does anyone have similar info for KA? Those who have paid in Bangalore, was depriciation calculated for a newer car?
Old 1st July 2014, 14:26   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone have similar info for KA? Those who have paid in Bangalore, was depriciation calculated for a newer car?
Refer post no. 378 in the link shown below

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...2014-a-26.html
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 14:30   #493
Team-BHP Support

The govt amended a law to increase tax collection.

Whenever there is such a tax increase on corporates, media and stuff make a lot of hue and cry about how this is bad.

Now, making 1 month limit means short term residents of Bangalore have to pay Bangalore tax for a year + retain their home state number plate too.

Can't all suffering residents of Bangalore visit the govt headquarters or something and give a petition. A 1000 people going there and giving a petition will show the govt that many people are suffering?

Last edited by tsk1979 : 1st July 2014 at 14:31.
Old 1st July 2014, 16:50   #494
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
...Can't all suffering residents of Bangalore visit the govt headquarters or something and give a petition. A 1000 people going there and giving a petition will show the govt that many people are suffering?
Two reasons which I can think of.

1. Lack of direction / knowledge of what to do.
2. "Someone please take a step and am right behind you" thoughts.

The problem aggravates with the language barrier & IT population who can't pick up a fight with the authorities (if I were in Bangy, I would have been a part of this crowd; so am NOT blaming anyone). I think this will get traction if someone starts a FB page like "Meter Jam" or something similar.

The first & foremost thing for something to work out is to get a bunch of people to know each other and gather to take this to the next level. I have seen some bhpians trying to take initiative; but still no solid results.

PS:: Meter Jam (FB page) in Bangalore gained very good traction, but it was fizzled out on the proposed date where all rickshaws plied as usual!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 1st July 2014 at 16:53.
Old 1st July 2014, 20:57   #495

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Refer post no. 378 in the link shown below

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...2014-a-26.html
Per this calculation, for me it is
4,97,789 * 0.14 * 0.93 = 60182
Add Cess 60182 * 0.11 = 6620
LTT in KA = 66802

Less loss than selling right now...
Closed Thread