Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 16th July 2014, 10:30   #631
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I will be bringing my 72 Fiat soon. Its KL registered. The car has a fitness certificate. I don't see myself moving out of Bangalore any time soon and will be driving this car once in a while.
Best would be to approach a good reliable Motor Vehicle agent - perhaps using your contacts in Bangalore. BTW, this drive against non-KA vehicles is generally a half yearly or annual festival. It does not happen always. But when it starts it starts in full swing - and generally they don't let go any defaulter.

Came back to say...
BTW, RTO folks have also perfected their art of catching the tax violators. Generally on Fridays they lay waiting on the state border watching for the out-going traffic. I have noticed this in Electronics City area, which is very close to the borders. Now who would be landing in that trap? TN,KL vehicles which would be going out of the city. At that point of time if the vehicle is regularly used in KA, chances of them having toll receipts etc. is very very less. They get caught straight away. Only people who can have the receipts handy would be the genuine short term travellers who may have landed in the city a week back. The next hot-spot is just before the NICE Road toll booths. KL vehicles perhaps using the Kanakapura, Mysore roads would jump into this one.

Another rumour is that RTO folks are making discrete enquiries near large apartment buildings. Security staff, domestic staff etc. are all the usual source of information. They get good pointers on the people who stay in such buildings and vehicle numbers. And one Monday morning they have the squad ready at the entrance. I have also seen checks happening in front of a major IT company on Sarjapur Road. They were stopping non-KA vehicles coming out of this establishment.

So if you notice, RTO folks really know where to focus and how to trap offenders. In all the cases I listed above, chances of a genuine tourist getting caught is very very unlikey. On the other hand long term stayers at Bangalore would get trapped.

Last edited by sachinpk : 16th July 2014 at 10:50. Reason: More points added on the RTO check points
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 12:19   #632
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Non-KA cars have traditionally been left more or less alone in North Bangalore but that is changing and changing fast.

Spotted a RTO team near Manyata Tech Park the other day stopping vehicles, checking documents and importantly, taking photographs of employer car stickers on the windscreens including the validity (from and to) dates.

Makes it even more difficult to prove the temporary nature of the vehicle stay in KA!

Last edited by itwasntme : 16th July 2014 at 12:19. Reason: Spelling
Old 16th July 2014, 12:43   #633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

Spotted a RTO team near Manyata Tech Park the other day stopping vehicles, checking documents and importantly, taking photographs of employer car stickers on the windscreens including the validity (from and to) dates.
wow! Where they doing this for KA cars too?
Old 16th July 2014, 12:54   #634
BHPian

GOt a info about RTO outside Wipro gate in EC right now. Stepped out to check. It turned out to be the BTP checking helmets and seat belts. Waited for sometime to check if any non-KA vehicles were stopped. Several TN, HR, MP bikes/cars passed. But was not stopped. False alarm....

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 13:39   #635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
BTW, this drive against non-KA vehicles is generally a half yearly or annual festival. It does not happen always.
Yeah; am aware of this. Been here for >6 years now.

Quote:
Now who would be landing in that trap? TN,KL vehicles which would be going out of the city.
This is super inconvenient. You loose your rc card when you leave for a road trip.

Quote:
And one Monday morning they have the squad ready at the entrance.
I've read about this right on this thread. Kinda going to extremes with this.
Old 16th July 2014, 13:49   #636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I wonder if the authorities are this enthusiastic about refunding life time tax for those who move out of the state.

Ok, you guys can stop laughing now.

But seriously, either the LTT should be converted to annual tax, payable online just like property tax in Bangalore, OR, the refund system should be streamlined to make it a smooth and doable process.
+1 I was thinking the same thing.
I was even thinking state should pay the interest for any delay in the refund.

Is there a national permit available for private vehicles just like the tourist vehicles? If there is, I would think it won't be a permanent one, and that might suit very well the needs of all the people moving for short-term.
Old 16th July 2014, 13:49   #637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
This is super inconvenient. You loose your rc card when you leave for a road trip.
Owing to my temporary stay at Bangalore, i am trying all means to avoid being caught. I take the car out after sunset., drive down to hometown and back starting in the 3AM-4AM timings(good for the engine as well).

Generally i have a month's validity through the toll gates and fuel bills, but let's see how long this hide-and-seek game continues.
Old 16th July 2014, 14:12   #638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
wow! Where they doing this for KA cars too?
Nopes, only for non-KA vehicles and checking both on the main road plus service lane. Was driving by so was only a brief look.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 17:39   #639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

Makes it even more difficult to prove the temporary nature of the vehicle stay in KA!
Get your address proof like gas bill, E bill and rental agreement to prove that you are not residing in KA
Old 16th July 2014, 20:30   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Owing to my temporary stay at Bangalore, i am trying all means to avoid being caught. I take the car out after sunset., drive down to hometown and back starting in the 3AM-4AM timings(good for the engine as well).

Generally i have a month's validity through the toll gates and fuel bills, but let's see how long this hide-and-seek game continues.
It makes me remember the movie "Catch me if you can" where we are the Di caprios and RTO is the Tom hanks.

FundaG
Old 17th July 2014, 08:27   #641
Distinguished - BHPian

I became a victim today. I had all the documents, toll receipts. My vehicle's PUC was done on 27th June in Kolkata and it has not been 1 month yet. But the officer took all my documents including driving license and is asking me to pay the road tax. He has asked me to get a company letter saying that I will be here for less than 1 month. This is plain harrassment.
Old 17th July 2014, 09:05   #642
Senior - BHPian

You should never hand over your documents to any tom, dick, or harry or police officer or God Almighty. This is the bottomline, and never carry original documents in the car.

Why don't you send a petition to Mamata Banerjee in WB citing your details to make a case for harassment in KA. And keep a copy of it in your car as proof of your missing documents until you sort this out.
Old 17th July 2014, 09:14   #643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I became a victim today. I had all the documents, toll receipts. My vehicle's PUC was done on 27th June in Kolkata and it has not been 1 month yet. But the officer took all my documents including driving license and is asking me to pay the road tax. He has asked me to get a company letter saying that I will be here for less than 1 month. This is plain harrassment.
This seems to be a perfect case of taking the law to the extremes. BTW, would your company be able to give such a letter? I mean were you really planning to get back to Kolkatha in one month's time?

PS: Just playing the devil's advocate here. Were you really planning to drive back to Kolkotha within a month's time? I feel the RTO smart alec had a hunch that many people don't come driving down all the way from Kolkatha to drive back the next month. Other than say vehicle dealers or NP truck crew etc.
Old 17th July 2014, 09:17   #644
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This seems to be a perfect case of taking the law to the extremes. BTW, would your company be able to give such a letter? I mean were you really planning to get back to Kolkatha in one month's time?

PS: Just playing the devil's advocate here. Were you really planning to drive back to Kolkotha within a month's time? I feel the RTO smart alec had a hunch that many people don't come driving down all the way from Kolkatha to drive back the next month. Other than say vehicle dealers or NP truck crew etc.
Yes, I am really going back on 26th of this month. I came here on the morning of 30th June. I have dropped a letter to the project manager asking for help. My company should be able to give the letter as my base branch is Kolkata and I am here on a 28 day deputation.
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 09:29   #645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
where did you get caught?
Closed Thread