Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 17th July 2014, 09:39   #646
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
where did you get caught?
near E-City Phase II
Old 17th July 2014, 09:53   #647
BHPian

Default Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Heard that there is a big RTO check in E-City right now, as soon as you alight from the Elevated road, opposite Lords Plaza Hotel... My colleague informs that several outstation cars were stopped !
Old 17th July 2014, 09:58   #648
BHPian

I have been following the thread for a while. I moved from Mumbai to Bangalore in June 2014. I knew I plan to be here for long and would need to pay the road tax to avoid all the harassment.
So on the 3rd Saturday I am in bangalore I drive to the RTO will all documents to get the amount of tax calculated. It is a hefty amount for my 2011 Vento. I had made my mind to pay it up, needed a DD so would have to come back some other day. On my way back home I was stopped by the RTO police and they took my documents away inspite of me showing the calculation the RTO officer had done in the day. And it was not even 30 days since I have been here. 2Kms further down the road I was stopped again. This was on Bangerghatta Road heading towards ORR. First was stopped somewhere close to Brand factory (which is on the opposite side) and then near the Gopalan Mall.
On the day of paying the tax (the following Monday) I met quite a few folks whose vehicles had been impounded, since the documents were not on them. Another person's evaluation said he had to pay 18K as fine, over and above the tax since he was in bangalore for over 3yrs.
My tips if you get caught.
(a) Try to avoid giving originals. If they try to impound your car then pull out the originals.
(b) Be ready with a story saying that you are here only for a month, or are in transit. What you say will be documented in the report the RTO Police officer will write in front of you and you will not be able to understand his handwriting.
From the thread (and my 1 months experience in Bangalore) it appears only the Electronics City RTO KA 51 is having this drive. If you can have Silkboard as your Lakshman Rekha then you might be ok for a while.

Last edited by kmadhok : 17th July 2014 at 10:00. Reason: added more info
kmadhok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 10:02   #649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
Heard that there is a big RTO check in E-City right now, as soon as you alight from the Elevated road, opposite Lords Plaza Hotel... My colleague informs that several outstation cars were stopped !
On the NICE road today morning I spotted 2 Tata Sumo's filled with RTO officials heading towards E-city.

The Sumo's had RTO sticker on the rear windshield.

Last edited by n_aditya : 17th July 2014 at 10:03.
Old 17th July 2014, 10:07   #650

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
Its happening infront of Gate 1 - Infosys also. There is a long standing line of out of KA cars there. This is the first time that RTO is camping in this main road. So now, journey towards any company inside electronic city would be difficult for out of KA cars without paying tax. My wife somehow dodged and escaped unnoticed.

Me, wife and bro in law - we used to travel in three diff cars, but now will shrink to one as only one of them is KA registered car. So less pollution from our side till I get a good deal and re-purchase from Karnataka.
Old 17th July 2014, 10:13   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmadhok View Post
From the thread (and my 1 months experience in Bangalore) it appears only the Electronics City RTO KA 51 is having this drive. If you can have Silkboard as your Lakshman Rekha then you might be ok for a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
On the NICE road today morning I spotted 2 Tata Sumo's filled with RTO officials heading towards E-city.

The Sumo's had RTO sticker on the rear windshield.
Yes, i think it is only the Electronics City RTO that is hyper active with this drive. They have a captive crowd of IT folks which are prey to this draconian drive, as a number of people will be in Bangalore on short term visits.

I walked around Lords Plaza and could see the RTO Bolero which had stopped a WB registered Honda City. After issuing him the challan, the officer drove off. The RTO chap did not have his seat belt on, and was speaking on the mobile while he drove off.. So much so for the law-keepers
Old 17th July 2014, 10:17   #652
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't know how this will work. If I get the letter from my company saying that I will be here till 26th of July and show it to RTO, are they going to return the documents without any payment/bribe?
Old 17th July 2014, 10:26   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I don't know how this will work. If I get the letter from my company saying that I will be here till 26th of July and show it to RTO, are they going to return the documents without any payment/bribe?
It might not be that easy even if you get the letter. They can come up with some other clause or ask for some other documents. You know how this RTO guys are.

Also heavy checking on Neeladri road opp wipro. Traffic jam in the stretch. Take care.. Looks like they are on a major drive on EC today....

FundaG
Old 17th July 2014, 11:07   #654
BHPian

This is another shakedown to raise money for useless vote buying schemes of the current government. I think the central government should reduce funds for highway development to states that extort money to pay their useless sinecures. Karnataka has little to show for the taxes paid, just harassment and what is a clear violation of the constitutionally guaranteed freedom to move across state boundaries. Maybe neighbouring states should start similar tactics to tone down this nativist idiocy.
avira_tk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 11:17   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post

Also heavy checking on Neeladri road opp wipro. Traffic jam in the stretch. Take care.. Looks like they are on a major drive on EC today....

FundaG
Just walked outside Wipro multi level car parking where the checking is happening.. 3 RTO jeeps parked on either side. Atleast 10 non-KA cars parked on either side. Saw another 7-8 non-KA vehicles heading in the direction. Felt really helpless for them. It looks like the RTO is going to make a lot of money today if they are there for another hour.

Man this is bad. Some thing really needs to be done to come to a feasible solution. LTT for a few months or few years stay is really a PITA. With the central govt directive some action needs to be taken.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 14:12   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Just walked outside Wipro multi level car parking where the checking is happening.. 3 RTO jeeps parked on either side. Atleast 10 non-KA cars parked on either side. Saw another 7-8 non-KA vehicles heading in the direction. Felt really helpless for them. It looks like the RTO is going to make a lot of money today if they are there for another hour.

Walked outside Infosys Gate 1 over lunch time and could see the RTO folks in full swing. 1 Bolero and ~4-5 khaki clad people stopping all non KA vehicles (cars & bikes). Saw a couple of TN, KL, MH cars getting stopped when I was there. Looks like there are multiple squads in action today. This one was a white Bolero with RTO sticker on the windscreens.
Old 17th July 2014, 14:19   #657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It looks like the RTO is going to make a lot of money today if they are there for another hour.
I read this as too much pressure up from the hierarchy to fill the coffers on a war-footing; otherwise why would such intensive raids would happen?

From a governance perspective, this has to do with Centre-State relationship with respect to distribution of taxes and none want to bite the red pill.

The bureaucrats must be aware that giving yearly tax option will not fill their coffers as owing to high KA tax rate, migrants would still bring their cars from home state and keep paying annual tax, hence denying that option.

But this is not a surprise; I can correlate this with what happened in last fiscal when the central government was short on funds and there was a slew of tax-notices being slapped everywhere possible.

Last edited by ramzsys : 17th July 2014 at 14:25.
Old 17th July 2014, 15:16   #658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk
This is another shakedown to raise money for useless vote buying schemes of the current government.
I agree with you. The present govt had come up with a slew of "welfare schemes" (favouring a few specific communities), including cash hand-outs during the marriage of the girls *. Now whose money would get gifted in such a callous way? It is off-course the tax payer money. And sooner or later such charity schemes would backfire. Giving out money for all and sundry is easy (sure to get votes), but then treasury would go empty. Then the best way to raise money is to enforce all rules & laws strictly. Especially them which deals with state taxes. Because these are under state control and no one can really question them for collecting their tax dues.

Bangalore has a large migrant population (mainly IT) who are never a vote bank. Let the govt. try this trick with any other salaried group of people, the unions would make a big ruckus. So the RTOs know which areas to focus on .

Quote:
Maybe neighbouring states should start similar tactics to tone down this nativist idiocy.
There was a tussle between Karnataka & Kerala recently, but both of them sorted it out amicably. Karnataka MV Rules mandates every bus to have an emergency exit. Karnataka RTO started to charge Kerala RTC buses because they never had this. Kerala MV Rules says every public transport vehicle should have a speed governor installed. Kerala RTO had then plans to stop every single public transport vehicle coming in from Karnataka and charge them for violating this. Finally both parties shook hands decided to suspend this .

* A few of such schemes (like taking school kids from specific communities on state sponsored excursions/picnics) was shot down by the courts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys
I read this as too much pressure up from the hierarchy to fill the coffers on a war-footing; otherwise why would such intensive raids would happen?
Yes exactly. This seems to be a top-driven operation. Government seems to be having a crash crunch and it is time to generate some huge money. I would not be surprised if each of these RTOs have been given a daily target to meet. KA51 RTO I am sure would have met it already by now, and perhaps may have gone "over the set expectations".

So this has to be handed politically or through judicial intervention. Cribbing, abusing RTO folks are only going to cause more harm.
Old 17th July 2014, 15:29   #659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
You are not at fault and you are within their framework of nonsensical laws too, don't pay anything and if need be register a police complaint against these bafoons, contact a news paper and make sure you show them what an educated Indian can do.
Old 17th July 2014, 15:31   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Maybe neighbouring states should start similar tactics to tone down this nativist idiocy.
It has already started. As a Pune resident I often see two wheelers from far away states being stopped by the RTO, but along with a few PY and JH registered premium cars you also see KA-1 to KA-5 and KA-53 being stopped.
A friend with a KA-22 registered dZire was stopped, but on checking that papers were in order he was sent ahead with a Inspector commenting to his junior ("KA-22 war wel ghalvu nako KA-1 te 5 ani KA-53 thambav") Dont waste your time on a KA-22 just catch a few KA-1 to KA-5 and KA-53 only.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is online now   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread