Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 18th July 2014, 12:03   #706
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Saw this piece of info online, not sure about its authenticity. Hope it helps someone:

Got Road Tax refund from RTO Bangalore

I moved my card from Bangalore(KA51) to Ghaziabad and got the road tax refund. Here is the step by step process

1. Fille Form 28 ( Noc FORM) , 3 copies, attach all the photostat copies like car papers, insurance, pollution etc ans submit it in RTO.

2. They will immediately issues a form for police verification.( I got it within half and hour).
3. Go to Police Commisionor office and you find out the place where you have get the the clearance. Go after 11AM. They will verify and sign the form. I went around 10 AM but got it signed only around 12 PM.
4. Same Day I submitted it the form back to RTO and they asked me to come after 21 days. They will take your RC and issue a acknowledgement.
5. I went to RTO again after 21 days and got the NOC. ( two copies). make sure you get two copies.

6. Got my car registered in Ghaziabad after paying tax. ( Got it done thru some agent for RS 5000).
7. Send a written application to RTO Bangalore for road tax refund. Attach all the required necessary documents.
8. Follow up with them and got the cheque after a month.

Import tips:
Just apply for NOC only 20 days before you are planned to leave. Because in case you get the NOC early and get ur car reregistered after 15-20 days, they will apply some penalty. In my case

Applied for NOC : 28 Aug 2012
Got NOC: 21 Sep ( However date on NOC is 3 Sep)
Applied in Ghaziabad: 5 NOV

They took 8000 as penalty apart from road tax.

For My Ritz car which i purchased in 2011 and i got a refund of Rs 50000

Source
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 12:06   #707
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Wow, where did you get this statistics? Considering Kannada, Telugu, Tamil & Hindi speakers outnumber Mallus in Bangalore, how do you support this 25% figure?

I know this may look a little exaggerated. The official figure is somewhere around 10%. But any one staying in East Bangalore will know the reality. Kannadigas are minority in many areas of Whitefield. There is significant rise in migration of Malayalis to Bangalore in recent years. Since most of these belong to affluent class, one should not be surprised if they form more than 25% of atleast the car owning population in Bangalore.
Old 18th July 2014, 12:10   #708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Again this is just a false sense of victimhood. Road Tax is not a charity scheme where some one can pay and others can just ignore. KA (or any other state) has every right to collect her tax dues. So budget the road tax amount as well when thinking of relocating.
What a brilliant response this is. Lets clear one thing first. I don't drive an out of state car. I bought my car right here and paid whatever taxes I should. I still don't stand by whatever law there is to tax an out of state vehicle for life. Real easy for you to say to budget paying road tax every time you move.

Quote:
Please read up on the authority a state has to collect her tax dues, including Road taxes. All this talk about "We are one country" would not help you convincing an RTO or any jurisdictional court.
I don't want to read it. Bring about a change instead of inconveniencing folks with such useless laws. Don't you want this change or are you completely against it.
Old 18th July 2014, 12:18   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
As a Karnataka resident I would like to see everyone who is using KA roads for years must pay equal amount of tax, debate can be on the tax amount Karnataka Govt charges on all cars, but that is a different issue.
Its very easy to comment, You will understand the situation if it happens to you in any other state if you take your KA registered vehicle there.

Shubhendra
Old 18th July 2014, 12:21   #710
BHPian

Folks, I'm sure some of the expert in RTO procedures can help!
I've shifted a U.P. Registered car to Bangalore (KA); Got the NOC from RTO Ghaziabad and given to RTO in Jayanagar. The agent helped me to pay the Karnataka Road Tax and also Address Change on the R.C. (RTO Pasted our Bangalore address into our R.C.); I asked for K.A. Number change as I have no plans to shift the car to U.P. It is more than TWO months and the agent says, RTO-Bangalore sent out a letter to RTO-Gaziabad for an NOC to allocate K.A. Number, but has not received any confirmation from RTO-Gaziabad till date. Hence waiting...
Here is my query, Is it true that there is a procedure i.e. RTO-Bangalore writes to RTO-Ghaziabad for their approval? Why the NOC submitted by me did not solve the purpose?

What happens if RTO-Ghaziabad did not writes back to RTO-Bangalore? Is there a time period for the wait? I asked similar questions to the agent and he told me usually other side RTO does not sends the confirmation and there are so many such cases pending years?
It is quit strange to me, I gave the NOC & Car was inspected by RTO-Bangalore. He gave address change, RTO Office took KA Road Tax, but unable to assign K.A. Number.
Do let me know your inputs to get K.A. Number.
Old 18th July 2014, 12:21   #711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan
Real easy for you to say to budget paying road tax every time you move.
There is no other way. If you can budget for transportation, new house advance, education advances/payments etc, please budget an amount for road (or any other new) tax you need to pay. And this again is not for short term movements, but more for transfers/relocations. But saying that tax was paid in one state and the driver should be allowed to stay and use the vehicle in all parts of India without paying additional tax would just not work out. The country does not work that way.

Quote:
Bring about a change instead of inconveniencing folks with such useless laws. Don't you want this change or are you completely against it.
What change are you talking sir? Road taxes are a state's perogative. They decide the amount, and the ways and means to collect it. State laws are drafted by elected representatives from that respective state. How are they decided; by elections. Unless GoI brings in a legislation which forbids states from collecting road taxes you will have to pay up (grudgingly or willingly). No state is going to fore-go their rights to collect road taxes that easily. If you are not willing to under stand a state's right to collect taxes, then I can't help it .
Old 18th July 2014, 12:24   #712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
What kind of logic is this ? People who drive Wagon R, Swift, Dzire, are surely middle class and not elite who drive Audi, BMW, Merc, Superb owners. The bulk of the cars caught are surely middle class owners who cannot afford the cost of buying a new car in KA or cannot afford the cost of buying a second hand KA registered vehicle.

KA has long been in this game of squeezing bangalore to feed its other districts of Hassan, Bidar, Gulbarga, Tumkur, Bellary, Chikmagulur. And they will not even bother to maintain this egg laying hen called bangalore whether they get tax money or not. This is just about making a fast buck without collateral damage.

I agree with you on the cannot afford part. If I got a job and came to Bangalore to work, I would 100% bring my Swift along as the daily transport charges would be too much for me and diesel affordable, but in no way on this planet I can afford to pay 60 thousand right in the first month when I will have rent and food expenses and all to take care of.

Samurai San, car owners are middle class because we have paid installments for 5 years sometimes just to be able to own a car. This would mean forgoing many things which we wanted to buy to be able to afford a car. This is an investment which has to last us for many many years and we simply cannot sell it like that and buy another one in Bangalore or anywhere else. Even if the road tax has to be made to pay in such a short time of one month, don't you think it should be cut into installments or taken in yearly fashion, its not a small amount.
Old 18th July 2014, 12:26   #713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousivakutti View Post
It is quit strange to me, I gave the NOC & Car was inspected by RTO-Bangalore. He gave address change, RTO Office took KA Road Tax, but unable to assign K.A. Number.
Did the KA RTO give you a tax paid receipt? Then in that case, you would not have any trouble with these recent drive conducted by Karnataka RTO (which is the hot topic here now). Because Karnataka state has got her dues. The state is fine even if you go around with your old registration number, the tax has been collected. I have drove my scooter for around 6 years with such an adjustment.

But do use your contacts in Ghaziabad to push the file from their side. Like in many government bodies, there is no fixed time line for pushing any file. Many states though have started introducing such SLAs for basic set of services, UP I don't think so has done it.
Old 18th July 2014, 12:31   #714
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Samurai San, car owners are middle class because we have paid installments for 5 years sometimes just to be able to own a car.
Owning a car puts you into the top 2% of this country. How are you the middle?
Old 18th July 2014, 12:31   #715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What change are you talking sir?
Hmm...I thought I already made that quite clear in my previous posts.

Anyways; I am hoping off. Burnt my fingers nice and good on this thread. Jumping on was a mistake I made. Very interesting read though.
Old 18th July 2014, 12:31   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Get your history right. It was during British Raj that the practise of 'Sati' was ABOLISHED. It was the British laws which said that Sati was murder, and any body who plans to have a 'Sati' organised would be hanged for murder. I don't know how Karnataka's right to get road taxes from people using it becomes a stupid rule. You can try breaking this stupid rule, but from what I read here you would not be able to do that for long. With your priced car getting impounded and put up in some RTO office ground, would help you take the good decisions .
Wow, thanks for the history lesson professor, and totally diverting the point that I was trying to make. I never said that the british raj and sati went hand in hand.

What I was trying to say is that all stupid rules would have been accepted as law and reasonable at some point in history. It is up to us to change these unreasonable laws by not conforming to them, IF it is a victimless offence. Since you seem to be a history buff, look up the name Mohandas Gandhi. He was one of those old timers that propagated the idea of not conforming to stupid laws imposed by bullies.

Last edited by ashwin489 : 18th July 2014 at 12:47.
Old 18th July 2014, 12:37   #717
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousivakutti View Post

What happens if RTO-Ghaziabad did not writes back to RTO-Bangalore? Is there a time period for the wait? I asked similar questions to the agent and he told me usually other side RTO does not sends the confirmation and there are so many such cases pending years?
There is a 40 day time period then the RTO will issue you a new registration
Old 18th July 2014, 12:39   #718
BHPian

Quote:
Did the KA RTO give you a tax paid receipt? Then in that case, you would not have any trouble with these recent drive conducted by Karnataka RTO (which is the hot topic here now). Because Karnataka state has got her dues. The state is fine even if you go around with your old registration number, the tax has been collected. I have drove my scooter for around 6 years with such an adjustment.

But do use your contacts in Ghaziabad to push the file from their side. Like in many government bodies, there is no fixed time line for pushing any file. Many states though have started introducing such SLAs for basic set of services, UP I don't think so has done it.
[Siva]: Yes! I have the Original Tax Paid Receipt from RTO-Bangalore. I know that can drive across KA state since the tax is been paid. But I'm trying to get KA Number, this will minimize any troubles like other state car and also for re-sale, when required.
Thanks! I asked the agent to give a copy of the letter to push though my contacts in Ghaziabad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
There is a 40 day time period then the RTO will issue you a new registration
@Ajmat: Thanks for the inputs. My case is more than 40 Days now and still waiting for the reply from RTO Ghaziabad. Is there a place where I can see this rule? so that I can refer to the RTO Bangalore.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th July 2014 at 15:02. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 18th July 2014, 12:44   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Its very easy to comment, You will understand the situation if it happens to you in any other state if you take your KA registered vehicle there.

Shubhendra
Sir, I have taken my car to all over the country other than Asam, Sikkim, Mizoram, Meghalaya, Arunachal Pradesh & Trupura. I for sure know what happens all over, faced it, solved it. And I am not a kannadiga by birth or residency, I come from West Bengal, spent 7 years in NCR, and now 7 years in Bangalore.

I oppose those who are staying in Bangalore for more than a year, have properties, their children goes to highend international schools, they spent Diwali in North India, December in Goa but are not able to pay the road tax. And then they talk about the hassle of moving states. Sir thats the choice you are making to get a better job, higher salary etc, so the hassle will come free with it.

For those who want to keep their home state registration intact, why do you change your communication address to Bangalore address, keep it as your native address, don't take a local sim card, be on roaming and use your native phone number, don't get a bank account here. Sounds bad right? So why can't you pay the road tax and claim a refund from your home state?
asdon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 12:48   #720
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday's drive at electronic city resulting in the cops impounding around 250 cars and they have been parked in a nearby BMTC depot. From the way things are going, I do not think there is any option for any outside vehicle cars to avoid this. However, I am not sure if this is the same for two wheelers too? There are so many of them plying on the roads and most with scant disregards for law, not that the local registered two wheelers are good at following laws.
Closed Thread