Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 21st July 2014, 17:13   #766
BANNED

Default Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Yes I agree terrorist / maoist / thugs kill but should it give right to state to hang people without trial ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Your disagreement does not matter. What matters is the law of the land, which clearly states "Innocent, until proven guilty"..
What next. Arrest all car owners because they may use their vehicle for kidnapping?
What is happening is not fair, but my point is, when we comply with bigger human rights suppressions, the RTO case seems to be pretty mild. And, it is not like hundreds of short term travelers are being made to pay life time tax. Yes, the RTO officials have been pretty tough, and people have been asked to prove their case, but I have not seen or heard of any short term traveler ending up paying life-time tax.
Old 21st July 2014, 17:21   #767
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTH1987 View Post
So what can be done for a genuine tourist entering Bangalore for a weekend and going back? I mean how does he prove that he will be staying only for a couple of days. I ask this because I have a Bangalore trip this weekend and will be coming back on Monday evening.
Don't take your car! why do you want to get in to unnecessary trouble? They will not even listen your explanation! even tourists are not welcome here now.
Old 21st July 2014, 17:37   #768
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Don't take your car! why do you want to get in to unnecessary trouble? They will not even listen your explanation! even tourists are not welcome here now.
Oh is it? I had plans of coming to Bangalore next month, stay for a day and drive to Chennai with my sister and family. If this is the case, I am driving straight to Chennai. Bangalore drive canceled.
Old 21st July 2014, 17:45   #769
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Some numbers may be helpfull for you -

E-City RTO PRO - 080-26482851/26483551
Public Relations Officer, Office of the Commissioner for Transport -
080-22210994
Mean while I have just passed on the details to a Sr.Officer in RTO, lets see.
Thanks asdon. I went to RTO and met the officer today. He simply asked me to come back with a letter from the company stating that I am here for a short term deputation or else pay life time tax. My company policy says that a letter will be not be given if the deputation is less than 30 days. I am in a soup now :-(
Old 21st July 2014, 18:04   #770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Thanks asdon. I went to RTO and met the officer today. He simply asked me to come back with a letter from the company stating that I am here for a short term deputation or else pay life time tax. My company policy says that a letter will be not be given if the deputation is less than 30 days. I am in a soup now :-(
In this case i would suggest to get in touch with your company HR, there are always exceptions to the policy when there is an emergency, and give me time till tomorrow afetrnoon, I will try my best to help.
asdon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 18:36   #771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh
I feel you are a bit exaggerating things . As many mentioned here already RTO checks are happening at such locations where tourists generally wont be seen. Example - coming out of parking lots of IT companies. SRTH1987 can keep all the toll receipts etc. handy. If you have been doing regular servicing of vehicle outside Bangalore, just keep the service book in the glove box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds
I assume blackpearl is a genuine tourist visiting Bangalore for a short period. How can he prove that he returned?
blackpearl himself would have told the RTO that he is on a short term visit to Bangalore, on official visit. The RTO who is sitting an listening to all these stories day in and day out then suspected that this "one month stay" is just an excuse to get away. Hence the seizure of documents and asking for a letter from company. RTOs would have become suspicious of any one, because of the excuses which people make to get away from them. I am not saying blackpearl did a mistake - he was honest and he told RTO the truth. Perhaps, if blackpearl had said he was a tourist, things may have gone differently. And I don't know from where blackpearl was caught. If it is in front of some IT park (where tourists do not roam around), but that could also make a difference in how the RTO sees things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Your disagreement does not matter. What matters is the law of the land, which clearly states "Innocent, until proven guilty"..
My disagreement (or agreement) is of no consquence. The RTO is implementing the law of the land. Which says taxes have to be paid in the stipulated period of one month. RTO has every right to stop vehicles and check the status of the tax payment. If they find any thing suspicious they can take appropriate action (seizure of documents, seizure of vehicles) to re-verify things. The fact that no court has interfered so far with the RTO's drive pretty much proves that they are playing the game as per the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26
Onus of proving tax default is on concerned authority and not on individual so RTO need to prove tax default first.
And they are proving by stopping vehicles at the right places and collecting evidences. Some body mentioned in this very thread that they were even photographing Office parking stickers (which would have the duration/validity printed on it).

Quote:
It seems Bangalore doesn't have enough legalistic minded activists with ample time and resources at hand unlike Delhi or else local activist circuit doesn't find issue related to presumably rich outsiders meaty enough to grab eyeballs else someone would have taken this to court.
I agree with you here. Local activists would most likely have paid their road taxes and are least bit bothered about the same. Surprisingly the so-called migrant population have also not challenged this in court. By what I see, most of them just pay up the tax and get going. And there has been no major issues reported by tourists as well.
Old 21st July 2014, 19:02   #772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
What is happening is not fair, but my point is, when we comply with bigger human rights suppressions, the RTO case seems to be pretty mild. And, it is not like hundreds of short term travelers are being made to pay life time tax. Yes, the RTO officials have been pretty tough, and people have been asked to prove their case, but I have not seen or heard of any short term traveler ending up paying life-time tax.
And who will define what is mild and how exactly you know thousands of people are not getting harassed.

I know of many cases where employees of IT vendors from Chennai used to visit Bangalore in personal vehicles for few days ( 3 - 5 days) and then return. Now they are facing harassments.

Point is that today it is road tax and tomorrow it can be some form of Zaziya tax , If these tendencies are not opposed and nipped in bud they keep on taking uglier shape.

BTW words you have used above reminds me of Mulayam Singh Yadav ,
He uttered something on similar lines about rapes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
I feel you are a bit exaggerating things . As many mentioned here already RTO checks are happening at such locations where tourists generally wont be seen. Example - coming out of parking lots of IT companies. SRTH1987 can keep all the toll receipts etc. handy. If you have been doing regular servicing of vehicle outside Bangalore, just keep the service book in the glove box.
Original motor vehicle act gave exemption to all visitors for 6 months and modified one also gives exemption to all visitors for 1 month irrespective of purpose of visit being tourism of business related to IT.

It is not for RTO to assess the purpose of visit being tourism or not.

About the another comments here on blood boiling when people drive cars with outside registration number plates for long time excuse me but I have seen enough KA registered vehicles in Pune , Gurgaon etc what if the blood starts boiling in other places as well?

Instead of questioning why government is putting abnormally high taxes and fleecing all of us and why can't Karnataka have more rational taxes like Goa , PY or TN such that vehcile owners do not have any incentive to drive cars registered outside. Why exactly we are supporting them ?

Do we really want that these kind of stupidities divide and people point fingers at outsiders and there be more Nido Taniyams ?

BTW : I genuinely feel this whole scheme is meant for just harassing ordinary powerless IT workers and nothing more. Almost all the super cars in Bangalore I see regularly including Hummer ( HR registerd) , Bentley ( PY ) ,
Phantom ( KL) are owned by high and mighty or hotel chains and I do not see them being stopped or touched.
amitk26 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 19:26   #773
BHPian

I think Karnataka is preparing for war. The next step is to create permits if you want to leave or enter the state. You can't blame the RTO. They have their deadlines like anyone else. If they don't meet their targets, they will jot get any bonus. And no one likes that.
Cops routinely foster fake cases on "suspicious" individuals to meet their monthly targets. Hospitals admit people with trivial maladies to meet targets, media creates and reports fake/ paid news to meet deadlines. Bankers create fake accounts to meet their targets. Why blame the RTO. If you do want to point fingers, then blame the govt. which sets minimum target for crime and law breaking, instead of reducing the same.
Old 21st July 2014, 19:28   #774
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
And who will define what is mild and how exactly you know thousands of people are not getting harassed.

I know of many cases where employees of IT vendors from Chennai used to visit Bangalore in personal vehicles for few days ( 3 - 5 days) and then return. Now they are facing harassments.

Point is that today it is road tax and tomorrow it can be some form of Zaziya tax , If these tendencies are not opposed and nipped in bud they keep on taking uglier shape.

BTW words you have used above reminds me of Mulayam Singh Yadav ,
He uttered something on similar lines about rapes.
Please keep politics out of this forum, if you can, and please don't try to put words into my mouth. I didn't say "thousands are not getting harassed", but said short term travelers are not ending up paying life tax. If you did not see clearly, read again. I have pasted it below.
Quote:
If you know anybody personally who came here as a traveler and ended up paying tax, let me know, i would take my words back. As of now, this drive has been working just fine, only genuine offenders are paying tax.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 20:20   #775
oss
BHPian

Can't we take temporary permit while entering the state, like the yellow boards do? That way those of us travelling for short periods, can pay a temporary tax and drive legally without getting harassed by the RTO officials...
Old 21st July 2014, 20:30   #776
BHPian

Guys Here is the screen shot of the particular message from the union ministry. I have ka registered car in Hyd and am a hyd native. I am here on a 1 year assignment and am continuously harassed by HYD cops. Shame on them.

I plan to show the attached image to the RTO nazis.
Name:  RTOFitting Reply.PNG
Views: 1753
Size:  62.8 KB

I can vouch for a fact that Hyderabad traffic and RTO cops are Hooligans....completely ruffians and looters compared to Bangalore traffic cops.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd July 2014 at 12:08. Reason: Merging back to back posts
NoMind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 21:21   #777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMind View Post
I can vouch for a fact that Hyderabad traffic and RTO cops are Hooligans....completely ruffians and looters compared to Bangalore traffic cops.
Agreed .But in my experience the worst of the lot has to be Tamil Nadu !I was once pulled over by cops just outside Vandavasi and I tried talking in Hindi .. Things really went south then ... they got 300/- bucks from me & I don't even know why,to date !! I showed them the toll receipts from Hosur, Krishnagiri like from a few hours ago, nope he kept repeating 300/= like a zombie .. Never had such experiences in Bangalore.. unless you have broken the rules they are always well behaved as long as you have smile on your face and talk in an assertive & respectful manner ...
Old 21st July 2014, 23:05   #778
Senior - BHPian

Just a small point guys RTO and traffic police are two different things. RTO does not belong to police department IMHO.

So RTO is not the one who fines you for traffic violation.
amitk26 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 23:14   #779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMind View Post
I think we find such characters every where in India. The other day I was driving from Goa to Mumbai with 2 friends. I was driving a friend's car and on entering Maharashtra border, we reached Insuli check post where we were stopped. It was about 11:30 PM in night. All documents (in original and in order) were produced. The drunk RTO guy at the check post started arguing that only the owner can drive a private registered vehicle and it is an offence for others to drive some body's car and fined us Rs. 1000/-. we argued and argued but to no avail. we paid the fine of Rs. 1000/- and he gave a receipt ( written in Marathi) and as we had a conference to attend next day we just paid and left. I wanted to get that receipt read and find out what offence he has mentioned, but misplaced it some time later.

So is there any rule that a private car cannot be driven by anybody other than the owner of that vehicle??
Old 22nd July 2014, 01:03   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
So is there any rule that a private car cannot be driven by anybody other than the owner of that vehicle??
No, there is no rule like that. Only rule is that licensed person should drive the vehicle and it should not be used for commercial purpose.
You and your friends were fined incorrectly.
Closed Thread