Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2014, 21:23   #91
BHPian
 
rohing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BLR - CBE
Posts: 183
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithin_86 View Post
The following link that I have posted is a petition to the Transport Minister of Karnataka to introduce a system of paying road tax on a yearly basis rather than the life time tax payment which is not possible for us to do everytime we move to a different state. One of my friends just started the petition. Requesting all team-bhp members to vote for the petition and hope that such a change comes around.

https://www.change.org/en-IN/petitio...ivate-vehicles
Thank you. I have signed it as well. How do we cross post it on the other Karnataka tax thread? We need to publicize this initiative further and get at least 5k signatures. Only then it may catch someone's attention.
rohing is offline  
Old 17th March 2014, 22:16   #92
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 43
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Scary stuff.

How does one deal with the cops? How do we prevent them from seizing our vehicles/ documents etc?

What do you suggest? Fight it out with the traffic cops? Will that get anywhere or get us into more trouble?

Thoughts and recommendations please!!

I have half a mind to drive back to Chennai this weekend and sell my car there!!
shireeshjacobs is offline  
Old 17th March 2014, 22:57   #93
BHPian
 
Twiny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cochin-Bangalore
Posts: 299
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by shireeshjacobs View Post
I have half a mind to drive back to Chennai this weekend and sell my car there!!
Wait for March to over.. this intensified drive may calm down after the Financial Year end.

IMO this March may not be a very good month for sellers, since there will be lots of offers for new vehicles.
Twiny is offline  
Old 18th March 2014, 10:52   #94
BHPian
 
sunilg33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: bangalore
Posts: 242
Thanked: 130 Times
Default Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by shireeshjacobs View Post
Scary stuff.

How does one deal with the cops? How do we prevent them from seizing our vehicles/ documents etc?

What do you suggest? Fight it out with the traffic cops? Will that get anywhere or get us into more trouble?

Thoughts and recommendations please!!

I have half a mind to drive back to Chennai this weekend and sell my car there!!
Once in a while the cops make it a priority to seize outstation cars. There is absolutely nothing that you can do about it. Last month we were caught by cops in my cousins TN Fiesta. We argued that this car is in and out of KA frequently and is not supposed to be in KA for long. We showed the toll receipts of TN from a week before. Super intelligent cops asked to show the service record of the car, last two services had been carried out in Bangalore. There you go, very difficult to prove that only servicing is done here.
After a long argument they told that its a final warning and if they come across the same car again they will seize it.
They are checking out near apartment clusters as that is where most of the outstation cars are present.
sunilg33 is offline  
Old 18th March 2014, 10:59   #95
BHPian
 
nithin_86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: KL-7/TN-22
Posts: 131
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

I have been circulating the petition in my office as well. So far it has got just 279 votes. Its still a long way to go to get to the target. Hopefully this will be noticed. I dont understand how the government can come up with the such rules and expect people to just pay whatever they ask for. They say you can just pay the tax here and go and get a refund from the previous state. I am not sure if it works exactly like that. Even if it does it is a big hassle to go pay the tax, from which we can guess how difficult it is going to be to get the money back.

Again bribes everywhere just to get the required forms and get it signed and moved. And on top of all the bribes that are required something else that we lose a lot and don't have much of is time. All would be working and for us to personally go stand a whole day at a government office is again torture. One day paid leave gone, and for that few forms and signatures we have to be there for hours. And again handing it over to an agent means unanswered calls, "It will be ready in one week" line for a few months and what not.

Another major flaw in the system that affects just us is the so called re-registration that is required for us to get a tax refund from our previous state. This will cause a huge fall in the resale value of the car. A re-registered car instantly loses its resale value which again becomes heavy on our pocket. This stupidity must end and the government should start making some sensible decisions rather than just harass the common people.

Last edited by nithin_86 : 18th March 2014 at 11:01.
nithin_86 is offline  
Old 18th March 2014, 11:00   #96
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,935
Thanked: 1,159 Times
Default Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilg33 View Post
Once in a while the cops make it a priority to seize outstation cars. There is absolutely nothing that you can do about it. Last month we were caught by cops in my cousins TN Fiesta. We argued that this car is in and out of KA frequently and is not supposed to be in KA for long. We showed the toll receipts of TN from a week before. Super intelligent cops asked to show the service record of the car, last two services had been carried out in Bangalore. There you go, very difficult to prove that only servicing is done here.
After a long argument they told that its a final warning and if they come across the same car again they will seize it.
They are checking out near apartment clusters as that is where most of the outstation cars are present.
By carrying out servicing in Bangalore, how can the cops conclude that you are from this place. You have mentioned that the car is in and out of KA frequently. May the time when it was in KA, servicing could have been carried out.
suresh_gs is offline  
Old 18th March 2014, 12:30   #97
BHPian
 
tatsago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 88
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

As someone who keeps shuttling between 3 states/cities I can say that this is not a problem in Karnataka alone. My KA registered bike got stopped once on Tilak Road in Pune by a traffic cop. And he said the same thing about having only 1 month to transfer the registration to Maharashtra. He wanted to impound the bike and charge a "fine" of 2000rs to release the bike.
tatsago is offline  
Old 18th March 2014, 12:53   #98
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian
 
KPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,003
Thanked: 4,557 Times
Default Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithin_86 View Post

Another major flaw in the system that affects just us is the so called re-registration that is required for us to get a tax refund from our previous state. This will cause a huge fall in the resale value of the car. A re-registered car instantly loses its resale value which again becomes heavy on our pocket. This stupidity must end and the government should start making some sensible decisions rather than just harass the common people.
Brokers used to use the re-registration as a trick to drive the resale values down. My experience has been to the contrary. My Santro AT original registered in Coimbatore and re-registered in KA, was able to hold it's resale value. I sold it to a car dealer at a very fair price. The problem comes only if you re-register and try to resell immediately, then the buyers become wary and offer a lower price, as they view it as a risky purchase. My car had the KA number for 3 years before I sold it.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline  
Old 18th March 2014, 13:28   #99
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: KL-CHN-BLR
Posts: 220
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilg33 View Post
Last month we were caught by cops in my cousins TN Fiesta. .
And they have this as part of the FAQ on the traffic police website -

""Can police penalize vehicles with number plate of other State?

No. police is not authorized to penalize any one for out Station number plates. This is not the mandate for police""

Source -
http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...e&id=93&btp=93
aajohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 13:55   #100
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,974
Thanked: 16,771 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatsago View Post
As someone who keeps shuttling between 3 states/cities I can say that this is not a problem in Karnataka alone. My KA registered bike got stopped once on Tilak Road in Pune by a traffic cop. And he said the same thing about having only 1 month to transfer the registration to Maharashtra. He wanted to impound the bike and charge a "fine" of 2000rs to release the bike.
It's harder to argue in case of bikes since people don't travel interstate on bikes often. Specially distances like Bangalore to Pune, unless they are touring or bikes are transported to the destination. However, cars are a different story.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline  
Old 18th March 2014, 13:58   #101
BHPian
 
sunilg33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: bangalore
Posts: 242
Thanked: 130 Times
Default Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
And they have this as part of the FAQ on the traffic police website -

""Can police penalize vehicles with number plate of other State?

No. police is not authorized to penalize any one for out Station number plates. This is not the mandate for police""

Source -
http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...e&id=93&btp=93
Exactly pull out the rules and start talking the cops it hurts their Ego and they will make sure that we face a horrid time.
If the vehicle is seized and taken to the RTO office then be rest assured that within a day at the RTO your vehicle will have a lot of damages(Dents and scratches).

Recently a bike hit my brother in laws car and it was a clear hit and run case. When we went to the police to complain they asked us to leave the car for a day as it was late night. When we were contemplating about leaving the car There was fight between a Innova owner and the cops, innova owner was taking his car back after a similar incident but there was an additional huge dent to which according to the owner was not there when the accident happened, but was caused at the RTO. Seeing that we had to walk away from complaining.
There is no way they will compensate for the damages to the car even if we win the case in court.
sunilg33 is offline  
Old 18th March 2014, 14:13   #102
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 52
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

at the attitude of the cops.
by the way I've been driving my TN registered car for almost 6 months now, luckily without being stopped by cops.
I take care of following points while driving around the city:
1. Try to use it for limited purpose & avoid un-familiar routes
2. Try to keep low profile on road (no aggressive acceleration, honking)
3. Avoid parking in no parking or crowded area
4. Avoid hassle with stupids on the roads
5. Seat belts always on, No cell phone while driving no signal skipping etc.
6. Most importantly try to disguise my car behind some other cars

So Far So GOOD !!! Lets see what is on cards till 31 March (after this LE activity will slow down, I suppose)
BTW signed the application, thanks for the initiative
TurboGuru is offline  
Old 18th March 2014, 14:20   #103
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,935
Thanked: 1,159 Times
Default Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGuru View Post
at the attitude of the cops.
by the way I've been driving my TN registered car for almost 6 months now, luckily without being stopped by cops.
I take care of following points while driving around the city:
1. Try to use it for limited purpose & avoid un-familiar routes
2. Try to keep low profile on road (no aggressive acceleration, honking)
3. Avoid parking in no parking or crowded area
4. Avoid hassle with stupids on the roads
5. Seat belts always on, No cell phone while driving no signal skipping etc.
6. Most importantly try to disguise my car behind some other cars

So Far So GOOD !!! Lets see what is on cards till 31 March (after this LE activity will slow down, I suppose)
BTW signed the application, thanks for the initiative
Mate, all said and done it would be difficult to hoodwink the police in the long run. I too followed the above said points for 2 years after bringing my TN registered car from Chennai. Finally decided to pay LTT in KA
suresh_gs is offline  
Old 18th March 2014, 14:37   #104
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 12
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

This thread surely is a scary one. We can never know what may happen if you get caught in Bangalore driving a TN vehicle.

I am planning for a 2 day trip in the upcoming weekend from Chennai to Bangalore in my new car. I say new, because I am yet to receive the RC for it. I don't think that will be an issue because then I can surely claim that the car is new and bought from Chennai and hence I am a new visitor. Or the cops will make it an issue?

The car is more than 40 days old now, so logically anyone can claim that its been over 30 days (in B'lore) and can question me if caught.

If I get caught in such a situation and I don't have the RC, the cop can also put up a fine for traveling in a different state without RC (even though it is not issued).

Too much uncertainty: I think I would defer the trip to next to next weekend, as I will be getting my RC by then. Thanks for the other tips: I would be maintaining all the TOLL receipts and be prepared for such a situation.
gurminder_81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 15:42   #105
BHPian
 
sajusherief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 175
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddjango View Post
The inspector told me to come to Bannerghatta office.
Is it resolved now ? What's the status?
sajusherief is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buy car in state or out of state (Major price difference) autoenthusiast The Indian Car Scene 49 14th July 2017 01:21
Karnataka RTO - sms RTO to get Vehicle details 71Convertible The Indian Car Scene 83 8th October 2016 08:09
Where should I sell the car: State of Registration or Current State? m_upreti The Indian Car Scene 50 12th July 2016 17:38
RTO problems for transfering in own state vipinshetty The Indian Car Scene 5 20th February 2013 17:13


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:00.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks