Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 18th May 2015, 19:07   #1441
BHPian

Default Re: Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore

Congratulations Wasim Bhai. Hope that you succeed and we non karnataka people can again be able to drive down to Bangalore and through Bangalore to the south.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 09:19   #1442
Senior - BHPian

As per the The Hindu Bangalore edition Karnataka government has scooped up Rs. 100 crore through Motor Vehicle Life time tax collection. The report also clearly states that the tax collection drive is on after the Hon. Karnataka HC vacated the stay.
Windfall for Transport Department from out-of-State vehicles
* The decision to collect lifetime tax (LTT) on out-of-State vehicles is reaping a windfall for the Transport Department, with more than Rs. 100 crore coming to the coffers as tax just in Bengaluru since February 2014.

* After the Karnataka High Court vacated the stay on the amendment of the Karnataka Motor Vehicles Taxation (Amendment) Act, 2014, the department netted a further Rs. 7 crore towards tax, said officials.

* In response [about incorrect tax calculations], Rame Gowda, Transport Commissioner, said: “If there are any issues with the calculations on lifetime tax, they can take it up with the local RTO or with the central office.”

Campaign gets support
* The group has been garnering massive support online: the Facebook group ‘Justice for Non KA registration Vehicle Owners’ has more than 24,000 members; while, their online petition has 55,800 signatures.

Comments: The facebook group seems to get good traction, but how far these online petitions actually work needs to be seen. I have not seen any tangible action from the Central Government also at the moment. Perhaps within the current legal framework, they may not have much options.
Old 29th May 2015, 13:03   #1443
BHPian

Hi Guys, need a help in transferring ownership of an out of state vehicle.

I was going through the FAQ section of Karnataka rto (snapshot given below) where I saw the highlighted part.

Can anyone please guide me in how to obtain the acknowledgement copy if I send it trhough registered post.

Also incase I do not get a reply from the previous rto as stated in the below point, how do I register the vehicle without the original documents (orig. docs. are to be submitted along with form 28 through that regd. post.) Is the acknowledgement sufficient?

Thanks
Adhiraj
Attached Thumbnails
Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore-rto.png  

Old 29th May 2015, 13:24   #1444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhiraj View Post

Can anyone please guide me in how to obtain the acknowledgement copy if I send it trhough registered post.

Also incase I do not get a reply from the previous rto as stated in the below point, how do I register the vehicle without the original documents (orig. docs. are to be submitted along with form 28 through that regd. post.) Is the acknowledgement sufficient?
Send it by registered post acknowledgement due.

You will get the acknowledgement - a postal letter signed by the receiver - and this will be sufficient for registration purposes if you don't get a reply.
Old 29th May 2015, 20:49   #1445
Senior - BHPian

Dear Friends,

Please find below the Link for 'Drive Without Borders' Bumper Stickers Campaign.

http://imojo.in/drivewithoutborders

A set of 6 stickers (2 White,2 Grey, 1 each of Red and Yellow) are priced at Rs 500 which includes shipping.

Jai Hind.

Waseem.....

PS:Admins:Please delete this post if it violates Team-Bhp rules....

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 29th May 2015 at 20:51.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 19:43   #1446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
The Online Petition ....has been handed over to Mr.Gadkari yesterday.I have also given him some more documents which left him Dumbstruck....Waseem......
A very heartfelt THANK YOU from all of us here!! Excellent work done there and I am sure something positive will come out of it !!! Thanks once again!!
Rigid Rotor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 09:06   #1447
BHPian

150 vehicles seized. From todays TOI...
Quote:

BENGALURU: The transport department on Wednesday conducted surprise checks on more than 3,000 non-Karnataka-registered vehicles; 150 have been seized for failing to pay lifetime road tax (LTT) on the spot.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/47535282.cms

Last edited by noopster : 4th June 2015 at 14:37. Reason: Added an extract of the article in keeping with fair usage practice
Old 4th June 2015, 09:47   #1448
Senior - BHPian

I see a bit of strategy change in the way RTO squads now operate. They are not going for exclusive LTT collection drives like what they did last time. They are catching vehicles for lots of other offences, and in that a sizeable number is also non-KA vehicles . Non-KA vehicles also get the additional privilege of paying up the LTT.

The squads were at Silk Board junction, BTM Layout, Jayanagar, Bannerghattta Road, Kanakapura Road and Ashoka Pillar in Jayanagar I Block. Other than Ashoka Pillar area, the other areas would have large IT/Techie presence, is what I feel. These folks really know where to pitch camps.

Last edited by sachinpk : 4th June 2015 at 10:06.
Old 4th June 2015, 14:19   #1449
Senior - BHPian

what is the procedure for paying the LTT; I moved to Bangalore this Monday and will be living here for the foreseeable future.
Old 5th June 2015, 10:20   #1450
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the KA RTO drive has intensified. Malayalam News papers seems to have started covering this news now pretty much daily. The news reports unfortunately are in Malayalam.
RTO squads scout at Lay outs and Apartment Complexes. The RTO squads have started making discrete enquiries about non-KA vehicles parked inside layouts and apartment complexes. Police also seems to be working alongside the RTO for this purpose. A lot of non-KA vehicle owners were trying to evade the squads by parking the vehicles and then not taking them out. The new plan seems to bring out these vehicles as well.

Came back to say. Malayala Manorama also had a report on this, but I am unable to find the link for the same. In that report, I noticed a clear change of attitude. If earlier people questioned the whole logic of tax collection, dual taxation, and talked about of freedom of movement across the state etc. ; now this has become more or less a request to the KA RTO to collect taxes on a yearly basis (at least).

Last edited by sachinpk : 5th June 2015 at 10:22.
Old 5th June 2015, 11:01   #1451
Senior - BHPian

One stupid question - if one uses his car to exclusively travel to kerala, and keep his car parked in his apartment for the duration when he is at Bangalore, do he 'technically' need to pay the tax?
Practically, I know there is no use for this argument and once RTO catches, he have to pay, but for the sake of discussion, can this work out?

PS: I have read (Or somebody told me - I am not sure) that there is a clause in rule where you can get the fact attested by RTO so that you don't need to pay tax if your commercial vehicle is not running for few months. So, thought about if this extends to private vehicles also.

--Anoop

(Mods, kindly delete if this is OT for this thread)
Old 5th June 2015, 11:07   #1452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
One stupid question - if one uses his car to exclusively travel to kerala, and keep his car parked in his apartment for the duration when he is at Bangalore, do he 'technically' need to pay the tax?
He needs to, because the tax is collected for the usage or intention for usage. So if a car is parked in Karnataka state area, it is for all practical reasons believed to be used in Karnataka roads.

Quote:
PS: I have read (Or somebody told me - I am not sure) that there is a clause in rule where you can get the fact attested by RTO so that you don't need to pay tax if your commercial vehicle is not running for few months. So, thought about if this extends to private vehicles also.
I guess binand brought this point here. But even in this case, the RTO would seize all your original documentation - to ensure that the vehicle is not removed/sold etc.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 11:08   #1453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
I see a bit of strategy change in the way RTO squads now operate. They are not going for exclusive LTT collection drives like what they did last time. They are catching vehicles for lots of other offences, and in that a sizeable number is also non-KA vehicles . Non-KA vehicles also get the additional privilege of paying up the LTT.
Always other state vehicles are easy catch for some quick money, this is same across all states. If you take EC signal on the hosur road, police will ignore KA vehicles jumping the signal but most of the times they will stop TN and argue with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
The RTO squads have started making discrete enquiries about non-KA vehicles parked inside layouts and apartment complexes. Police also seems to be working alongside the RTO for this purpose. A lot of non-KA vehicle owners were trying to evade the squads by parking the vehicles and then not taking them out. The new plan seems to bring out these vehicles as well.
This has happened before as well. These guys will just go and paste the notice in all Non-KA registered vehicles asking them to pay the road tax. So, even if you have paid already, now its your duty to visit RTO office and show the receipt and cancel the notice.

Some of the apartments association denied RTO entry and these guys used to wait outside those apartment during morning hours to catch the vehicles.

And demand for annual payment is there right from beginning.
Old 5th June 2015, 11:08   #1454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
if one uses his car to exclusively travel to kerala, and keep his car parked in his apartment for the duration when he is at Bangalore
We have reports that earlier they enter apartment complexes and affix tax notices on parked cars. But i don't think they have the mandate to seize cars parked in private premises, even if it is within KA.

Maybe they can wait outside and catch your car the moment it comes out. If the drive turns that severe, maybe booking a towing service till TN border will help. Just thinking loud.
ramzsys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 11:15   #1455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
We have reports that earlier they enter apartment complexes and affix tax notices on parked cars. But i don't think they have the mandate to seize cars parked in private premises, even if it is within KA.
I think what theexperthand wanted to check is that can he use the argument that he has just parked the vehicle in a KA territory, and do not plan to use it here. And since he does not plan to use it, can he avoid the payment of LTT. But the law is that, even use or intention of use can be a reason to collect road tax.

So if a notice gets stuck on his car, at present he would not be able to use the reason that he just parked the vehicle for a short while here. If it is established that the vehicle is parked for more than 30 days (and not even driven for a kilo meter), he would have to pay LTT.

Quote:
Maybe they can wait outside and catch your car the moment it comes out. If the drive turns that severe, maybe booking a towing service till TN border will help. Just thinking loud.
RTO squads have done that in some of the huge apartment complexes near Sarjapur Rd. I do agree with "the towing away till TN border" part. Some of my folks are kind of driving their vehicles like shady robbers. Leaving office and home at odd-times, using narrower roads etc. etc. If it was me the tension would have been unbearable, I may have paid the LTT by this time. The whole purpose for buying the vehicle is getting lost in the process.
Closed Thread