Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 27th March 2014, 15:00   #46
BHPian

Default What about autos ?

Interesting that the mobile phone has got all the attention from this move. I wonder what they would do about "refuse to go for hire" and "demanding excess fare" aimed at autos. Fat chance of this being implemented. Bangalore auto drivers have joined their Chennai brothers at the top of the totem pole when it comes to these two practices.
Secretariat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 17:44   #47
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore: Talking on your phone while driving? Lose your licence!

Having read through the new rules being proposed by the Govt. and the support it has managed to gather in this thread a few questions have popped up in my mind. But before i put forth my queries, a little background
- I live in Hyderabad, so it is imperative that I spend atleast a good 2-3 hours on the roads every day (the commute though is less than 15-20 KM total)
- I have my own business so I have to be reachable through out the day
- Yes, I do take calls while driving albeit, short and few in number. I cannot function otherwise and No i don't want a chauffeur.
- I ALWAYS ensure that I take the calls on the in-car bluetooth only.

So now,
- If i am being distracted by the phone call, how is it different to talking to someone present IN the car
- Or for that matter the ICE system
- Or the hoardings
- Or anything that might draw the driver's attention away from the road

What will they ask us to do next wear blinders and drive???
Couper72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 18:22   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
I don't see any stupidity here from BTP. Have you come across a family who has lost their dear one, because of some stupid driver who ran over one of their family members, while talking on phone.

Completely agree with you. I live in Bangalore and the most of the people think talking in Mobile and driving is something to be proud about. And I have friends who met accident because of other drivers talking & driving. In Bangalore nothing stops people from violating rules. Everywhere people violate rules but with a bit of hesitation, but in Bangalore it is considered as a right to do that.

So good move - sorry but at times it requires extreme actions to be taken, all that needs to be checked is how well is this implemented.
RakishRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 18:50   #49
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: What about autos ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
Interesting that the mobile phone has got all the attention from this move. I wonder what they would do about "refuse to go for hire" and "demanding excess fare" aimed at autos. Fat chance of this being implemented. Bangalore auto drivers have joined their Chennai brothers at the top of the totem pole when it comes to these two practices.
I have to appreciate BTP for adding these 2 offences along with drunken driving and hit & run. IMHO, the mobile phone rule should be relaxed to the extent of bluetooth integrated in ICE.

Its not like the cops don't care. A auto driver was once "servicing" his auto right in front of our house. We asked him to go elsewhere since he was creating a lot of noise by revving the nuts out of that engine. He didn't listen,so I used the android app to complain and got a reply from Addl. commissioner to raise a complaint with law & order cops. Later they sent me a mail saying that the number could possibly be wrong and I couldn't confirm since the auto was then gone.

Quote:
Dear Sir,
I would like to report an auto driver with Auto Number : KA-02 AL 5838

Violation Type : Creating nuisance in a residential area

Date and Time of violation: 22 Oct 2012 17:38:46

Other Details:

Hoping for your earnest action against this errent Auto Driver.

Thanks,

Dr. M. A. Saleem . IPS addlcptrafficbcp@gmail.com
10/22/12

to me
Dear Shashank Kadudev,

Thank you very much for the mail. You are requested to lodge a written complaint at jurisdictional law and order police station regarding this incidence.

With regards,

Dr. M. A. Saleem, IPS,
Addl. Commissioner of Police,
Traffic, Bangalore City.

bangalore traffic bangaloretrafficpolice@gmail.com
10/22/12

to me
Dear Shashank, the number is incorrect, which you have sent us. It might be KA02AC5838, please confirm the right number to raise the violation.

With Thanks & Regards,
H.R.Reddy
Police Inspector,
Main Automation Centre,
PUB, 13th floor,
M G Road,
Bangalore City -560001.
PH: 080-22943175.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 20:54   #50
BHPian

Based on my observations in everyday driving, the following are the bigger threats other road users face sharing space with nuts, who drive as if the road is their living room, a sense of accountability is what is missing in them as they fail to understand driving is a privilege and not a qualification.

1) Absurd lane change maneuvers without any prior indication - exception to this are people who could genuinely be in a hurry but drive responsibly by turning on the relevant side indicators which allow the traffic following to correct their line accordingly, by also checking their rear view mirrors.

2) People who fold their rear view mirrors and drive - over the years just like wearing the seat belts have become a habit, adjusting the ORVMS and internal mirrors are the first thing I do and I have developed a habit of constantly glancing into the mirrors to judge other road users following me. I wonder whether I can call the driver of such a car arrogant who intentionally or unintentionally chooses not to assume importance to this critical tool. This singularly can reduce hundreds of accidents.

3) A combination of both these before taking a turn - both indicating to other road users and observing how others are driving. I wonder how difficult it is to switch on a side light as it does not consume valuable fuel, only move a finger and it switches off by itself.

4) Slow moving traffic that holds up faster moving traffic behind them, like scooterists and autos driving in the middle of the lane forcing other users to squeeze through.

5) Driving the wrong side of the road arrogantly or creating shortcuts where you are supposed to go further and turn with the traffic, hence forcing somebody following into a desperate situation.
Both the above leads to road rage and abuse later as people want to make up for the lost time even though they survive the first instance.

6) Habitual phone users who keep chatting to glory or juggle with their phones or shuffle through music/listen to music. They get lost in what they do and don't realize they are on the road with others.

7) Improper parking on busy road sides with half the car jutting out of the designated parking spots. These create sudden bottle necks and everyone tries to squeeze in. Also roads poorly designed creating random bottlenecks, RTO should work in tandem with municipality in this.

8) Brake lights not working, ask any highway user how dangerous this is, the authorities turn a blind eye to the offenders.

9) Cattle & jaywalkers using the road space - when we contribute to crores of rupees as road tax to legally use the road its appalling the government has no accountability towards it, it is silly to think that the cattle gets priority on the road.
A simple rule where the Traffic authorities sync with the municipality and impounds the animal will make the cattle owners responsible.
Similarly for people who use the road as their courtyard, spreading grain and clothes to dry on the road.

Though I realize using the phone hands free is not an advisable driving practice, what about the hundreds of instances when you need help over the phone in a new place or when in an unfamiliar situation, also situations where your call can help diffuse the situation.

I realize that my above statement will be considered controversial but I believe if each individual drives with accountability and understands that driving is a privilege by using correct driving practices, I am sure it will do a lot more good than just banning cell phone usage by creating fear, it does nothing to develop good driving practice.

I find listening to loud music/shuffling through music equally distracting and so can be placement of banners or reading road signs from stupidly placed sign boards where you need to wriggle in the seat to read them, so can using any form of visual navigation, all these take your eyes off the road momentarily,
and I am sure that all of us, regularly find ourselves in some related scenario,
difference is at least for most of us who aim to drive responsibly we drive constantly evaluating the surroundings and accordingly take our decisions, though we may engage in another 'not ideal practice', the sense of accountability makes us react responsibly looking at the overall situation.

Of course a proper logical mobile phone rule is a necessity as it is a thin line whether usage is warranted or not, but along with that, I think the traffic authorities should also enforce basic driving etiquettes, and ensure brake lights are functioning, side mirrors are operational, tires and healthy, etc.
These will take more effort than just a quick easy step of cancelling licences.
I believe transport authorities should inculcate and develop safe driving practices by having helpful audits and checks in place and not traumatize the conscious/responsible public by having random irrational laws without room for logic.
They should also sync with the municipality to ensure signboards and directions are placed properly.

It is easier for them to stand at a corner and pounce on every Bangalore car, but the real challenge is to change the way the jaywalkers and public perceive what their responsibility is towards roads and other users, our ignorance and defiance is somewhere part of our current culture, which is what authorities should strive to change and not just take the easiest way out by instilling fear and make money out of it.

Imagine any other government initiative towards leading a responsible life, (like polio) by installing an agency that constantly keeps threatening if not followed religiously, people will try to circumvent these rules out of fear, in a developing country nothing can progress if we force people by wielding threats and creating fear, we should motivate and reason, for development.
Just like in the corporate environment in training and HR, we consider critical feedback different from developmental feedback as the way it is presented can change how the individual improves.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 27th March 2014 at 21:22.
s_pphilip is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 21:00   #51
BHPian

I think this link is relevant here because I am beginning to get the impression that this is how Indian drivers behave.

Cheers
tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 21:25   #52
BHPian

Just read through all the posts. While texting and talking with the phone in your ears is totally unacceptable and should be banned completely, saying you cant talk on your in car Bluetooth is totally unacceptable. That is the stupidest law I have ever heard. I mean how are they going to implement this ? No offence, but the law makers in Namma Bengaluru seriously need to have some sense drilled into their heads. There are so many aspects which are to be looked into if they want to enforce safe driving like lane discipline, checking overload, condition of the vehicle. Why cant they concentrate on such small but important aspects which would definitely help the cause.

With regards to two wheelers using phone, apart from wires dangling out of helmets which has already been mentioned, there is an another method that is followed, that is, stuffing the phone between your ears and the helmet. I know so many people here in Cochin who do this on a regular basis and would vouch for it.

Cheers !!
aswin ajith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 22:00   #53
BHPian

Default Re: What about autos ?

A very interesting topic and a good initiative by the BTP.

Regarding implementation I have the following thoughts:

1. What about doctor's who are driving to reach an emergency?
2. What is to stop the policeman on duty from harassing you. Keep in mind that about 50-60% of the population may not know the local language and the cops take advantage of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
The auto's of Chennai are a bit more disciplined now thanks to the government fixing the fares. Most of the auto's use the meter, though they end up asking for 10/20 above the fare in the meter.
ksmrsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 23:19   #54
BANNED

Hello Bhpians,
Once thing I observed and wanted to emphasize was the "Ban on listening from even music players (where one can only listen to music)" Losing a license for listening to music is height of insanity. In fact please correct me if am wrong music tends to pacify a user from the chaotic traffic when played at a mild to moderate sound level.
The ban on even listening from a player such as ipod while riding a bike will only make the driver/rider more errant and create opportunities for road rage.
pratap.pratu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 00:36   #55
Team-BHP Support

There are some who spend close to 4 hours daily in traffic. If you can't take a call in those 4 hours it's pretty silly especially using bluetooth. Imagine if anyone who wanted to use a phone would pull over to take a call. Even more chaos.

The rule should have been for holding the phone and maybe even in ear bluetooth as it may reduce hearing but definitely for bluetooth from HU through the speakers.

The police is interpreting the rule how they wish.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 00:38   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratap.pratu View Post
The ban on even listening from a player such as ipod while riding a bike will only make the driver/rider more errant and create opportunities for road rage.
Listening to music on earphones should be banned not only when riding but also when driving a car. In fact, I think I read in some ipod or music player (or was it earphones?) instructions manual too that these should not be used while driving. Makes sense to me, specially for noise cancelling earphones.

Banning bluetooth also while driving is IMO a debatable decision. I doubt it is backed by any solid evidence that talking on phone via bluetooth has caused as many accidents as talking on a handheld phone.

And then there is the decision to revoke license at the first offense of talking on phone. That is just plain high handedness of the law. In case of drunk driving, it makes sense. In case of hit and run, if you hit someone (god forbid though) and run to nearest police station to avoid getting beaten up by a mob, would that also count as a hit and run?

How exactly would this be implemented anyway? If the license is issued by another state, they will send the license to the issuing RTO? Will that RTO honor their request? What are the chances that such licenses will fall through the humongous cracks in the system and will take enormous amount of running from pillar to post to rectify.

Even if the thoughts behind this are noble, i dont think the execution has been fully thought through.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 12:32   #57
BHPian

i do not understand why talking via the bluetooth/speakers is a problem

though i personally believe that one should only talk on the phone when it is absolute must - but then you can't stop people from using the car's bluetooth and speaker system on the pretext of "distraction"

next would be what - cancelling the licence because the driver was talking to the co-driver?!?!?
samyakmodi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 13:55   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
Very sensible, well thought and well explained rules. In India I see rules being handed out like threats. Why can't our BTP copy these instead of giving commandments like "Thou Shalt Not Touch Mobile Phones In Car"
I like your observation. Rules are handed out like threats. It is really true .. most laws/rules etc. are like threats issued to the general public. The language of such notifications should change at large. But here in India, there is always trouble with the language. If it is mild and courteous people will either not understand or follow, if it is threatening then some people will obey due to fear. But some will break it due to ego.

For e.g. everywhere you will see "Spitting Prohibited" or "No Spitting" instead of "Please do not Spit in these premises" or "Spitting is unhealthy. Please avoid".
sukhoi30 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 19:04   #59
Senior - BHPian

Found this off Bangalore Traffic Police FB Page.

Should address some of the concerns posted in the above posts.

Name:  10007519_646815435384167_1741807889_n.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  70.3 KB
Soumyajit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 19:11   #60
Senior - BHPian

This is a good move. BTP should also push this further to the two wheelers. I often come across several two wheelers who keep using a phone while riding. Many use hands-free and play music/FM while riding. Because they use helmet, this further reduces their chances of hearing the outside world, causing accidents. I have to keep honking continuously at these riders to grab their attention, when they give me "looks".

When BTP mentions Bluetooth, they could be referring to hands free or Bluetooth headsets.

Finally, there is a higher element of risk when talking to someone even over Bluetooth in contrast with your fellow passenger. In the former case, your entire attention could be in hearing the voice and understanding it, while if its talking to your co-passenger, the amount of concentration is lesser therefore giving more focus on the road. Again, say you're driving and you see some incident ahead and require to focus on this, you would immediately tell your co-passenger on this and both of your attention would be focused on the incident. On the other hand, if you're talking on phone (even on Bluetooth), the drivers default habit is to manage both - driving & listening to the other person, resulting in divided attention.

Try this yourselves and you'll see some truth in it.

Furthermore, you will have to glance away from the road to find numbers/contacts resulting in divided attention.

Last edited by nitinbose : 28th March 2014 at 19:23.
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote