Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 14th April 2014, 01:48   #76
BHPian

Default Re: March 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

We Indians love our Honda City don't we. Right from the first generation. Well done Honda! Although I would have preferred more sober face than the current tacky looks with a chrome moustache (no offence to City owners).

It pains to see GM's product line up. Apart from the Beat I don't see one product that differentiates itself in the respective segments. Its time the folks in US HQ take note of the opportunities missed starting with the launch of Sail Twins. Bring in some classics like the Camaro / Corvette. Give customers something to aspire to.
Old 14th April 2014, 11:30   #77
BHPian

Surprised and chuffed to find Ertiga hold its own amidst stiff competition from different segments. I reckon that's no mean feat given the penchant Indians have towards anything with a boot (read sedan). Ertiga is a mixed bag, agreed, but what has the competition got to offer?

Innova - Great but too expensive
Mobilio - A concept with great potential IF it had been built on the roots of the Honda Jazz. But sadly, Honda has gone for the Amaze platform which is too narrow and the looks too cartoony. Can pass off with that looks on the Brio, but not an MPV. Some say the narrow width is only on paper but I stick to my opinion after having sat in the Amaze - its too narrow, period.
GM Enjoy - Ironically Enjoy doesn't seem to be enjoying its presence in India.

If only Suzuki can give it a larger capacity engine and a slightly longer wheelbase, it can remain the undisputed leader for a long time to come.

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 14th April 2014 at 11:31.
Old 14th April 2014, 12:46   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
I Don't mean to sound rude but please drive the city diesel before calling it under-powered , true its not as powerful as its competitors but it is by no means under-powered , i've driven i20 petrol for a few years and i know what under-powered means!
Hey Rocketscience, you are right . I agree that the Diesel engine of the new City is powerful enough but one would certainly look at the competition offerings. Doesnt the Amaze come with the same diesel engine ? Also, Honda did not have diesel engines for a long time and now that they are into it, the sales numbers are clearly showing how much money they could have made had they realised the potential earlier. Anyways, better late than never.
Old 15th April 2014, 11:22   #79
BHPian

Although Renault and Nissan's hatchbacks dont do well. They are doing well with the Terranos and Dusters. Good to see Terrano catching up !

Fiat bring in such products ! The new Punto should have been here already ! The new linea not doing any wonders !!
Old 15th April 2014, 14:44   #80

My 2 cents -

Maruti – time and again with every new new launch, I have been hearing about Maruti’s demise. On the contrary the company is growing strength to strength. Goes on to show what does an excellent service reputation and ubiquity can to do an acceptable car.

Mahindra – this is what happens when Rajni blesses you and somehow those blessings divert on the car as well (scene – NaMo goes to meet Rajni in White Scorpio) , Imagine what would have happened had Rajni decided to bless the car itself . How Anand Mahindra could wish that Lok Sabha elections are held every month.

Ford – what is it with the Ford and the Eco Sports numbers? I mean this is the first time that they have a hit products on their hands and if this is their high headed reaction to the pent up demand, then I am better off not buying one of the Ford.

Renault – Senior Renault leadership should go and thank Ford. While there must have been whispers of what should they do to withstand the onslaught of a well-proportioned, well priced car from a Ford badge, all of their fears must have been allayed when Ford started high browsing Indian customers and in turn customers turning to Renault to buy their overpriced so called ‘SUV’. Renault leadership would be laughing out loud everyday whenever they see their sales numbers.

Toyota – Selling 10 times more than Santa Fe at almost the same price point, this is the power of T badge!

Skoda and VW – when VW raised their prices to differentiate them from Skoda as a premium brand, these kind of sales figures were bound to happen. VW in English translates to People’s Car. It should have been priced the same way. But no sir, we are German Engineering and we command a premium. What a sight to sight to see that Japanese taking them to the dryers.
Old 15th April 2014, 15:23   #81
Senior - BHPian

Had a look at the total Ecosport production numbers and it is like this;

Total production - 7153
Domestic Sales - 3904
Exports - 2850

I don't see this changing anytime soon, unless Ford starts that 3rd shift soon. Till then I guess the 9 -10 months waiting period will remain...

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 15th April 2014 at 15:26.
fiat_tarun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 15:26   #82
BHPian

Default Honda is now the third largest passenger car maker in India

A recent report in the Financial Express has reported that Honda Cars India has become the third largest passenger car manufacturer in India.

Quote:
Honda overtook both Tata Motors and Ford India and is now only behind Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai India; Honda which sold 1.33 lakh passenger cars in FY-14, had been the fifth largest player a year before in FY-13 with car sales of 73,182 units
The report also says that in the overall passenger vehicle segment, which includes cars, utility vehicles and vans, the Japanese car maker did even better. It jumped three positions-from eighth to fifth, driving past General Motors India, Ford and Toyota clocking volumes of 1.34 lakh units, up 83%.

Today Honda's market share in the passenger vehicle market is 5.36%.

Quote:
Jnaneswar Sen, Senior Vice-President, marketing & sales, at Honda Cars India has told the Financial Express that "The introduction of the diesel engine has really worked for us. The Amaze helped us enter a new segment where we were not present earlier and the City has got a new start."
Link to the News Item:

http://www.financialexpress.com/news...sition/1240618
mints21 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 15:45   #83
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Re: Honda is now the third largest passenger car maker in India

Is it? Really..

Sounds good that Honda is in third position and that too.
- Without having a proper hatch (which sells ~3-4K per month)
- Without having a proper D1 sedan (Accord is, but hardly sells)
- Without having an MPV/SUV in their portfolio.
- Selling only C1 and C2 segment vehicles.

Sounds really bad because, earlier #3 belongs to an Indian brand.

How will the situation be when they have a complete portfolio covering all segments from B1 to D1?
gemi_kk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 15:47   #84
Senior - BHPian

Where does that leave Mahindra then? I thought they were No.3 - no mention of them.
wilful is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 16:18   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Where does that leave Mahindra then? I thought they were No.3 - no mention of them.
I think its just a play with words. The key word is "cars". They would have discounted Mahindra as an SUV maker. Doesn't mean much, we already have a monthly sales thread which is way more accurate.

But nice rebound of fortunes by Honda. They can give Mahindra run for no.3 once Mobilio launches. Its safe to assume Mobilio would easily do 3-4K numbers - real question is if they have the capacity to handle demand.
SkyWalker is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 18:06   #86
BHPian

Honda is doing better than Tata and Toyota in each of the last three months. Just a couple of years back, Honda looked hopeless with all their brands doing badly except the City. There were several months when the City production got disrupted then.

This is an "Amaze"ing comeback of sorts by Honda.
Old 15th April 2014, 18:40   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
I think its just a play with words. The key word is "cars". They would have discounted Mahindra as an SUV maker. Doesn't mean much, we already have a monthly sales thread which is way more accurate.
Yes - I guess it is just that. All is fair in love and war - and business. Any old way to claw to the top.
Old 15th April 2014, 19:49   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
If govt really wants to do something, let them first focus on simple things like building roads and highways. They are screwing up on their duties as much as the worst car manufacturer (or even worse) operating in India
Completely agree. If govt wants to meddle, let them provide world class roads and public transports. The sheer quality of a good public transport and roads should put a lock on the auto industry. Alas, the wishful thinking.
Old 16th April 2014, 02:47   #89
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
Completely agree. If govt wants to meddle, let them provide world class roads and public transports. The sheer quality of a good public transport and roads should put a lock on the auto industry. Alas, the wishful thinking.
Why refer to the govt as 'them'? We are all in all sorts of ways, direct and indirect, part and parcel of the govt. The govt MUST intervene wherever we (in this case existing and potential car and bike owners, and other related members of the car-public like dealers or traffic police) feel that we are suffering from dysfunctions, illegalities, whether because of the crookedness of some among us, or their ignorance/indifference. The abstract noun 'govt' just denotes OUR OWN ability, however partial and dishonest, to act as a PUBLIC, rather than a bunch of self-interested atoms.

It goes well beyond building roads and public transport: policing, taxation, pollution, parking, rights of pedestrians and cyclists, contractual dysfunctions and crookedness between firms-dealers and customers, recall mandates, market education and development, foreign trade policy, toll roads policies, anti-competitive market behaviour.

No healthy longterm car market and car culture can develop and prosper without the full range of these issues being addressed not by 'them'-the-govt but by 'us'-the-public/govt.
Old 16th April 2014, 16:43   #90
BHPian

The ever color changing politicians let down the UV sales this time.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/h...w/33815260.cms

The sales of UVs during election time seems to be more of coincidence than fact. In fact the sales did not shot up during 2009 elections too.
Closed Thread