Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 10th April 2014, 16:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default March 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

NOTES:

1. Thanks to the team at Management Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2. Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th April 2014 at 12:41.
parrys is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 16:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: March 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

parrys is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 16:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

parrys is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 16:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Last edited by Aditya : 11th April 2014 at 12:41.
parrys is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 17:16   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section). Thanks for sharing!
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 17:31   #6
BHPian

Wow! First of all, thanks to the team for putting out the monthly data analysis. Looks like Honda is here to stay at the #4 and try and usurp Mahindra's #3 with their Diesel armada!

Tata needs to out the Bolt and the Zest I hope I am correct when I say that TML is coming out with AMT on their new offerings! They need to sell ASAP to avoid further erosion in their market share.

Celerio keeping up the tempo for MSIL with 6-7k sales.

An exciting summer beckons!
cingsman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 17:36   #7
BHPian

Superb analysis yet again! Thanks! A strong month for Maruti and Mahindra! Honda expectedly has also seen a massive surge thanks to the new City being launched in both petrol and diesel avatars! I was just talking to my friends the other day about the taste of Indian consumers and how they've become so well-informed. An instance of that is in the sales of the i10 versus the i10 Grande. Hyundai 'down-badged' the i10 Grande; making people feel that it is nothing more than a i10 with frills. But the sales figures speak for themselves about how the well-educated and well-informed indian customer wants a car which is technologically advanced as compared to the earlier version despite the fact that the company badged it very close to the earlier version. 3000 units for the i10 versus 10,000 units for the i10 Grande!

On a seperate note- look at the marketing strategy of these two auto manufacturers! One car company launches a completely different car built on a different technological platform and badges it very close to the older car but it still manages to get people's attention and earns great sales (i10-i10 Grande). The other gives it some bells and whistles, a few styling touches here and there and decides to badge it in a way where the older name is completely removed (Wagon R - Stingray) but it still doesnt fool the people!!

Hopefully this example will also remind the other auto manufacturers from trying to dump previous generation models in Indian when they've outlived their lives elsewhere in the world!

Oh and - 38 Endeavours and 33 Camry's? Thats a pleasant surprise- i've not seen a new one in ages!

Last edited by rahul4321 : 10th April 2014 at 17:40. Reason: addition
Old 10th April 2014, 17:50   #8
BHPian

The lockout at TKM seems to have hit Toyota badly. Their overall unit sales, which was more or less constant in the past few months, has dipped by 18% or this month. Market share has reduced from 4.74% in Feb to 3.57% in March.
Old 10th April 2014, 17:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Analysis which is missing

Chevy: No more hopes from this company. Only company which has all flop models despite having models in almost all segments. They need to get something new which will be success in market. Spark, U-Va are big flops now. Beat? no more heartbeats for any one for it.

Fiat: Great going Fiat, keep the momentum going. Make more marketing, make A.S.S. better & bring new models soon. Hope they will cross 2 K mark soon.

Ford: Oops ... EcoSport has lost all the wow factor now which was there when it was launched. No body seems interested in it now due to its unavailability. No body talks also about it, looks like its forgotten. Figo is losing it every month passing. Nothing else for them.

Honda: Wow. City is doing wonders for them. 9 K + is just amazing numbers. Amaze will struggle more now, against Dzire & more once i10 Grand Sedan gets going in the market.

Hyundai: Great going but are feeling heat now from Honda. All like Eon, Verna, i10, i20 started declining in sales. Santro doing better than i10 is surprise. Elantra doing good in D segment. Only i10 Grande saving them. Verna is showing its age now against City, lets see how it goes in coming months.

Mahindra: Good going for Scorpio, Bolero & XUV. With elections Mahindra has done good business. Not sure if they will be able to continue it after its over. Bolero is too good for them all years.

Nissan / Renault: Nothing new, only Duster & Terrano selling. Evalia is a dead duck now. One of the most flop cars in the Indian market.

Skoda: They are below Fiat now. Nothing much for them. People are fed with them now.

Tata: They need Bolt & Zest ASAP. Nano numbers improving, but not much. Safari, Sumo deserve better numbers.

Toyota: All down. Surprisingly. Innova also loosing. Looks like people realized that they are looting. If Maruti makes Ertiga little better in terms of space, Innova will loose more business. Since they have no real competition they enjoyed success for too long now.

VW: Nothing exciting. Doing regular business. Looks like they are interested in export business mainly.

Lastly the champion,

Maruti: Almost 45%. MUL must be little worried. All stars like Alto, Swift, Dzire, Wagon R, Ertiga, Omni giving them great sales. Celerio is new Star for them. Will do more when production scales up, can do 10-12 K easily. Ritz & SX4 are struggling, get Ciaz quickly Maruti. Overall good for them.

Can we have overall percentage for all companies for the last financial year? It will be great stats to have

Last edited by manson : 16th April 2014 at 17:38. Reason: Listed Beat under Chevrolet
aniketi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 18:12   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post

Toyota: All down. Surprisingly. Innova also loosing. Looks like people realized that they are looting. If Maruti makes Ertiga little better in terms of space, Innova will loose more business. Since they have no real competition they enjoyed success for too long now.
Usually when a all the models from a company see low sales numbers, the reason lies elsewhere rather than lack of buyers or due to competition. In this case it is most likely due to the plant shut down they had in March. Check the following thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ch-2014-a.html (Toyota declares lockout at Bidadi Plant - March 2014)

Thing is like it or not, both the Innova and Fortuner are still unrivaled in there respective segments.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 18:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Skoda has worked very had to be the brand with the least market share. Well done Skoda. Just what you deserve, huh?

New Honda City running circles around Verna, Rapid and Vento sedans.

Last edited by k_ajay : 10th April 2014 at 18:25.
k_ajay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 18:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Usually when a all the models from a company see low sales numbers, the reason lies elsewhere rather than lack of buyers or due to competition. In this case it is most likely due to the plant shut down they had in March. Check the following thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ch-2014-a.html (Toyota declares lockout at Bidadi Plant - March 2014)

Thing is like it or not, both the Innova and Fortuner are still unrivaled in there respective segments.
Not really mate. Innova used to do 6K plus before few months. But if you see last 6 months, it never crossed 5 K. Its not due to just production constrains, but due to its high price. Innova is mainly for cab, but its initial investment is so high that taxi operators are struggling to cover the cars cost. The Day it will have real competition, it will struggle for sure.
Old 10th April 2014, 18:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Not really mate. Innova used to do 6K plus before few months. But if you see last 6 months, it never crossed 5 K. Its not due to just production constrains, but due to its high price. Innova is mainly for cab, but its initial investment is so high that taxi operators are struggling to cover the cars cost. The Day it will have real competition, it will struggle for sure.
+1 . Innova is clearly overpriced. We got more value for money 7 seaters in the market now. If ARIA had clicked well like the XUV, Innova would have lost more sales figures.
(I was initially thought of buying the Innova last month, but ended up buying the XUV W8 as it got more features at lesser price. )
Old 10th April 2014, 19:27   #14
BHPian

Good to see a new brand added in the List ... Datsun!!!

Ford, Fiat, Skoda and VW ... Despite having good winnable products the corporate strategies of the companies with zero customer-centric approach is actually killing the sales here.

Tata and Chevy, I seriously want you to make a come-back. To my knowledge both are quite Honest brand and are working hard despite the setbacks. Zest and Bolts should do the wonders for tata. Dont know whether change in top leadership will bring the luck to them!!!!

Toyota: Has been involved in a ugly strike for last one month and the numbers clearly show it. Expect them to come back hard after the strike.

Renault/Nissan/Datsun: If i consider you as one corporate, the sales are amazing. You aleady inching towards the top 5 slots. Datsun sales are just starting... Hope your quality shines and you have more sales of Datsuns... Keep it going.

Mahindra: M&M are doing great as ever, can you just add few proper cars not just verito and vibe.

Honda : Honda has clearly amazed everyone with almost 10K numbers for a proper Sedan..... Customers are really loving your new engines and product onslaught.

Hyundai: is on a different trajectory these days, With new i20 and Xcent it should inch closer to the leader... well done the product planners.

Maruti: Though sales are down for the last month of year, clearly showing the effect of onslaught of product launches from Datsuns, Honda and Hyundais; The are still doing almost 45% of all car sales in India. Simply amazing.

Last edited by anu21v : 10th April 2014 at 19:29.
anu21v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 19:38   #15
BHPian

Fiat sales in India in the first three months of 2014 show an increase of 314% to those in the first three months of 2013.
Bluefiat is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread