Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 16th April 2014, 09:31   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Hyundai Eon to get 1.0 liter Kappa Engine EDIT: Now launched (Page 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Here is the link (Indian Nano, Alto, Figo, i10 & Polo FAIL Global NCAP Safety Test) of the thread I was talking about; first page has the videos of the test. Only Figo and Polo had their cabins preserved.
I am aware of that thread. Isn't that the test which prompted VW to equip all variants of Polo with airbags to increase the safety rating?
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 09:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Hyundai Eon to get 1.0 liter Kappa Engine EDIT: Now launched (Page 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I am aware of that thread. Isn't that the test which prompted VW to equip all variants of Polo with airbags to increase the safety rating?
Yes, the same one. One of the inferences from the NCAP folks:

Quote:
In the Suzuki-Maruti Alto 800, the Tata Nano and the Hyundai i10, the vehicle structures proved inadequate and collapsed to varying degrees, resulting in high risks of life-threatening injuries to the occupants. The extent of the structural weaknesses in these models were such that fitting airbags would not be effective in reducing the risk of serious injury. The Ford Figo and Volkswagen Polo had structures that remained stable – and, therefore, with airbags fitted, protection for the driver and front passenger would be much improved.
This clearly shows where airbags would make a difference - just like not wearing seat belts would kill you even with airbags all around.

EDIT: Just noticed that Max Mosley is the chairman of Global NCAP.

Last edited by zenren : 16th April 2014 at 09:49.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 14:24   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

No one has a clue about how the new India-tuned 1.0 liter will drive. However, apart from the supposed fuel-efficiency advantage, I don't see why Hyundai isn't giving it the Santro's 1.1L engine instead. That's a wonderful motor with excellent torque & driveability. The Santro's success proves its acceptability in the entry-level segment too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
b) Fuse in cabin - similar to Sonata and bigger cars which saves your battery when the car is not used for longer duration. Never heard about this, pardon my ignorance.
From my Grand i10 review:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Fuse box & OBD port are located right above the driver footwell. Master 'On / Off' switch is unique, haven't seen it in any other car. In 'off' position, it will automatically cut off current leakage from the battery after 20 minutes. Can be useful for the times when you want to park the i10 for a longer duration. Could also help against uninformed car thieves
Quote:
On a lighter note, they are still hungry and likely to remain so for some more time. With all these new launches, their total sales is still more or less the same.
Not really. Hyundai's average sales have shot up by about 4 - 5K units / month. Another way of looking at it would be that the new launches help Hyundai to show some growth - however small - in a depressing market.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 18:05   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apart from the supposed fuel-efficiency advantage, I don't see why Hyundai isn't giving it the Santro's 1.1L engine instead. That's a wonderful motor with excellent torque & driveability. The Santro's success proves its acceptability in the entry-level segment too.

Hyundai's average sales have shot up by about 4 - 5K units / month. Another way of looking at it would be that the new launches help Hyundai to show some growth - however small - in a depressing market.
I totally agree with you GTO sir. We all know that India is a land of hatchbacks. Such is the popularity of hatchbacks here that they contribute to more than half of the total car sales in India. The information that I have attained after reading this news on internet is that the 1 liter petrol engine will be borrowed from the Hyundai Santro Xing. It's 1 liter petrol engine is a reliable motor which has been around for many years.

As we know that the Eon has been on sale from couple of years now but hasnít really managed to set sales charts on fire. But, I am sure, with the advent of the 1.0 liter variant though, all this could be set for a change as the sales numbers could also see a significant rise with the update.

I think all Hyundai Motor India Ltd now needs is to price the car really competitively and promote it nicely as the Hyundai Eon will please those who are looking at their first car to have decent highway performance.

Thanks

AD
ad3952n is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 18:28   #20
BHPian

Does anyone remember this thread?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3197772 (SCOOP: Hyundai EON Facelift spied!)

Maybe it's the same car. Then Hyundai stopped working on it and gave some more importance to the Grand i10, Xcent, Santa Fe and now they're back on this project.
amolbh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 18:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
The information that I have attained after reading this news on internet is that the 1 liter petrol engine will be borrowed from the Hyundai Santro Xing. It's 1 liter petrol engine is a reliable motor which has been around for many years.
I was under the impression that it would be a 1L version of the Kappa engine. Santro Xing has a 1.1L engine. Also, they would find it difficult to match the fuel efficiency numbers of the Alto with their old generation engine from Santro. FE is a huge deal breaker in this segment and they wouldn't want to lose out on that.

Quote:
I think all Hyundai Motor India Ltd now needs is to price the car really competitively and promote it nicely as the Hyundai Eon will please those who are looking at their first car to have decent highway performance.
Competitive pricing is difficult unless they decide to cut the price of 800cc Eon as well.
Old 16th April 2014, 21:36   #22
BHPian

The European 1.0 3-cylinder Kappa engine has following specs:
maximum output of 69ps
maximum torque of 9.7kgf•m

Should be same engine which comes here. Whatever be the specs, I hope Hyundai sorts out the shaky gear lever.
fz_rider is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014, 19:09   #23
BHPian

ACI reported earlier that Hyundai was going to launch a version of the Eon with a more-powerful 1.0-litre petrol engine. ACI just got word that Hyundai has started accepting bookings for the 1.0-litre Eon, with deliveries expected sometime next month.

According to our sources, the 1.0-litre Eon is only available in one mid-spec Magna variant. Features available include an air-con, power steering, and front power windows. In addition to this, the Eon 1.0-litre gets an immobilizer, keyless entry and 13-inch steel wheels with full wheel covers. There is no music-system provided in the Eon 1.0 Magna variant.

The Eon comes with a 1.0-litre, three-cylinder motor, most likely the same one used in the European-spec Hyundai i10. In the European car, the engine makes 65bhp and 9.7kgm of torque in that car. There are no styling changes on this version of the Eon in comparison.

Hyundai has priced the 1.0-litre Eon Magna at Rs 3.85 lakh (ex-showroom, Mumbai) for the metallic shade version.

source: www.autocarindia.com

Last edited by fz_rider : 22nd April 2014 at 19:10.
fz_rider is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014, 19:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Eon 1.0-litre now on sale
The 1.0-litre Eon is priced at Rs 3.85 lakh and is available in only on mid-spec Magna variant, the 1.0-litre Eon is only available in one mid-spec Magna variant. Features available include an air-con, power steering, and front power windows. In addition to this, the Eon 1.0-litre gets an immobilizer, keyless entry and 13-inch steel wheels with full wheel covers. There is no music-system provided in the Eon 1.0 Magna variant. the engine makes 65bhp and 9.7kgm of torque in that car.

Source: Car and Bike enthusiast fb page and AutoCar India
dZired is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014, 20:07   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No one has a clue about how the new India-tuned 1.0 liter will drive. However, apart from the supposed fuel-efficiency advantage, I don't see why Hyundai isn't giving it the Santro's 1.1L engine instead. That's a wonderful motor with excellent torque & driveability. The Santro's success proves its acceptability in the entry-level segment too.
I have a feeling the 1.1 will be completely phased out once Santro runs it course and sales start fading. Putting it into the Eon forces them to hang on to it for longer. There may be emissions related reasons as well

Sad to see grunty engines go away and be replaced by engines that are powerful 'on paper' but weak where it matters (bottom end torque). More examples are Ford Rocam & Honda 1.5 i-dsi

Last edited by Mpower : 23rd April 2014 at 18:08.
Mpower is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014, 20:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

If the price of Eon 1.0 Magna is 3.85 lakhs ex-showroom Mumbai, that is just a premium of 10k for the 1.0L engine. It looks like a sweet deal. I don't see why someone would buy a 0.8L Eon Magna now!

Is Hyundai testing the waters by just offering the Magna variant alone and doing a soft-launch without any big announcements? Not sure if this is just introductory price.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014, 21:04   #27
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

The price is good, and just what the doctor order to take on the Maruti Suzuki Alto k10 and the Datsun Go!

There can only be one reason for launching the car only in a middle Magna variant for now. And that is, the smaller-engined Eon will not be offered in higher trim levels in the future. They are surely looking to clear existing stock of the higher variants of the 800cc Eon, and then launch the Sportz variant of the 1000cc Eon. I hope they also launch the Asta variant with additional safety features!

Last edited by RSR : 22nd April 2014 at 21:07.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014, 22:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
There can only be one reason for launching the car only in a middle Magna variant for now. And that is, the smaller-engined Eon will not be offered in higher trim levels in the future. They are surely looking to clear existing stock of the higher variants of the 800cc Eon, and then launch the Sportz variant of the 1000cc Eon. I hope they also launch the Asta variant with additional safety features!
800cc Eon Sportz already comes with driver airbag. With 1L engine, they can introduce an Asta or a Sportz option variant with dual airbags, ABS and rear wiper/defogger.
Old 23rd April 2014, 10:22   #29
Team-BHP Support

Hyundai is now accepting bookings for the Eon 1.0.
Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2014, 12:00   #30
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is the body shell of Eon strong enough to have airbags? I see Alto800 coming with driver airbags as an option but I seriously doubt if Alto can preserve the structural integrity of the cabin in case of a crash. If it cannot, there is no point in having the airbags.
Quote:
The body shell really doesn't matter, what matters is the design and construction of the crash structure. And I have no idea on how it is for the Eon or the Alto.

But the Eon got driver airbag on the top variant already though.
Quote:
Providing airbags as a feature is something any company can do. Whether it would be a life saver depends on whether the dashboard and the steering intrudes into the cabin due to the crash.
Quote:
A budget hatchback won't be the safest. But I would rather be belted in an Eon with airbags than the one without it.
Latin-NCAP comes to the rescue, by providing the answers here.

It tested the Renault Clio Mio (an old generation Clio still sold in Latin America) without airbags in July 2013 and the results were appalling, but on expected lines - unstable passenger cell structure, very poor occupant protection and a 0* rating for adult protection.

http://www.latinncap.com/data/pdf/renault-clio-en.pdf

It recently tested the same Renault Clio Mio in January 2014, this time with two airbags. And the result was a tremendous improvement in occupant protection. The passenger cell structure was still rated as unstable, but the airbags were able to prevent serious injuries. And it was rated 3* for adult protection.

http://www.latinncap.com/data/pdf/re...airbags-en.pdf

That's the tremendous difference airbags can make , even in a car with a passenger cell classified as unstable after a crash test. 0* and 3* - this kind of difference in results can turn out to be the difference between life and death. Stable or unstable passenger compartment, airbags are indeed life-savers - let there be no more doubts about this.

So yes, even in a car with an unstable passenger cell on impact, airbags do make a huge difference. Let's strongly encourage manufacturers to provide at least two airbags on all cars sold in India!

Cheers!

Last edited by RSR : 23rd April 2014 at 12:04.
RSR is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote