Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 11th June 2015, 14:33   #271
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!

needforspeed88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 23:09   #272
AWD
BANNED

Test drove the car today. Nothing much to write home about, its a car for those on a tight budget, if you have some money to spare, buy a better car. NVH is evidently high, runs out of breath pretty soon when revved up, as the revs build up, so does the noise clatter.

I found the price also on the higher side. While AC & front end styling were the saving grace for me. Gear stalk column is a big hinderance in comfort, it fouls with left leg/knee all the time.

Overall I was un-impressed with the vehicle in most respects. Zdi variant does offer some features but also take the price further up.
AWD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 23:11   #273
BHPian

Usually, when Maruti comes out with a diesel hatch, I'd say that it'll sell, no problem. But this one, I'm not that sure about. First of all, it's in a segment that's too high for an engine that sounds like a Maxximo pickup. I'm basing it on the sound from the videos which might not be an accurate reproduction of the original sound.

But seriously, this is not a good car. The looks aren't that great, the engine is not that great, the pricing isn't great and the only thing that seems to be in it's favour is the economy figure and the Maruti badge. I hope that it will be enough to carry the sales. I think that the initial sales will be high and then it'll settle down and do some mediocre volumes.

The Beat diesel seems a much better overall package, and it comes with the 5 year, 1 lakh km warranty now. If you say that you're only concerned about VFM, nothing else, then the Indica eV2 is possibly the most VFM deal, again it too comes with a fairly cost effective AMC package and good warranty. Both of these cars will only cost a bit more EMI-wise if you're buying on finance, and offer a more complete car experience.

However, As tempted as I am to mock and write off the Celerio diesel for its engine and leave it there, I'd like to point out that the Fiat TwinAir 2 cylinder engine won best engine of the year awards. Suzuki must have done a fair bit of R&D on this engine, they're not fools. Two cylinders mean that much less friction, less moving parts, less maintenance, less complications.

DDiS stands for Diesel Direct Injection System, and I'm fairly sure that this is a modern common rail diesel, else there's no way that it picks up revs that quickly and freely.

I'm not going to pass verdict on it until I've test driven it myself. And while it may not be as good a package as the Beat or the eV2 on paper, it might be a decent city runabout and a good candidate for a second car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun
I guess Celerio Diesel engine has many connections with the Maxximo engine. Bosch was involved in the development of both engines, both engines are 2-cyl units, 4-valves per cyl, and both sounds similar too! But other specs-wise, they are different (Maxximo: 909CC 25BHP, Celerio: 796CC 47BHP).
While the engines do sound similar, they are tuned entirely differently. The Maxximo is designed for lugging, focusing on torque rather than bhp, with little emphasis on top speed and acceleration or smoothness. BTW, Bosch makes common rail for most of the common rail diesel mills in the market. They are the masters of this tech, even though there are other players like Siemens (Ford/Renault) and Delphi (Tata's Dicor).
vivekgk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 09:05   #274
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Horribly engineered product, especially the 'all new' aluminum diesel engine. If fuel economy is the only thing in mind, its still better to save 3 lakhs and buy a Nano AMT. The savings of 3 lakhs more than offset the diesel advantage and saves you from hearing the diesel 6 seater clatter from the Maruti..
I believe some people refused to buy the Nano earlier, worried of being identified as someone who couldn't afford any better, now the Nano has transformed into a cool second car/city runabout, and I believe this Celerio will take the place of 'i squeeze and save money on fuel, NVH and driving pleasure be damned'
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 10:50   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Horribly engineered product, especially the 'all new' aluminum diesel engine. If fuel economy is the only thing in mind, its still better to save 3 lakhs and buy a Nano AMT. The savings of 3 lakhs more than offset the diesel advantage and saves you from hearing the diesel 6 seater clatter from the Maruti..
But how many can 'offset' that ugly egg shape? Just like the Ritz...
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 12:29   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If fuel economy is the only thing in mind, its still better to save 3 lakhs and buy a Nano AMT. The savings of 3 lakhs more than offset the diesel advantage and saves you from hearing the diesel 6 seater clatter from the Maruti.
While I have no appreciation for a car with a twin-cylinder engine (Celerio-D), I would like to put forward my point that the Nano is not as frugal as it should be (for a 600CC engine) or the way it is painted. The ARAI figures are higher for the 800CC Alto. I regularly get 16 KMPL+ in my Zen in the city which displaces about a thousand CC. With the initial reports of the FE of the Nano AMT coming in, then even my car with a 3X bigger engine manages higher figures!

Thanks!
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 12:32   #277
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
But how many can 'offset' that ugly egg shape? Just like the Ritz...
Not that Celerio is a beauty contest winner in anyways...
Old 12th June 2015, 12:56   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not that Celerio is a beauty contest winner in anyways...
Agree 100%, but it is not a participant in the ugliest car competition too, where cars like Ritz, Nano, xylo, quanto compete each other. Purely my thoughts.
Old 13th June 2015, 17:25   #279
BHPian

Poor Celerio. MSIL is mercilessly testing everything on it. MSIL should have kept it to LCV's. It isn't returning astounding mileage especially compared with Ciaz and Dzire. Now that Jazz too gives 27+ kilometres to litre, MSIL can easily manage similar with 1.3 Ddis with revised gearing and output. And I don't think they are going to introduce this 2 potter in any other smaller Maruti, since the price gap is less between petrol and diesel.
The only thing MSIL gained is bragging rights, and that too for now.
Old 22nd June 2015, 09:20   #280
BANNED

a review from a online motoring website.
http://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-adv...review/22287/3

Extracted below

"One tends to make preconceived notions about things that are out of the ordinary. A properly functional two cylinder diesel engine with a more than acceptable gearbox and efficiency that would impress the worst of misers, all clubbed together in one package, is something I had not expected out of the Celerio diesel. For buyers on a shoestring budget doing fairly long distances in the city on a daily basis, the Celerio diesel is ideal. It’s not your highway car or the car to buy if you can stretch your budget by Rs 50,000-1 lakh, but at its price point, the Celerio diesel does make a solid case for efficient motoring."

Not sure if it is paid journalism or not, but surprised to see gaga praise over a economy cut price two pot diesel in a very light body shell. No mention of safety or concerns about features, just gaga over the perceived fuel economy.
Old 22nd June 2015, 12:17   #281
Senior - BHPian

Another positive review of Celerio Diesel:

http://english.manoramaonline.com/bu...iesel-car.html
Old 22nd June 2015, 13:59   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
All Maruti is doing is giving customer a choice to buy a small diesel engine that is fuel efficient. If you want refinement, please spend a li'l more and upgrade to a Ritz...
How innocent.

Why Ritz? The airbag equipped top end Indica eV2 LX with a pretty decent CR4 Diesel engine comes at ~5.9 Lakhs OTR Bangalore.

Link

Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!-capture.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Another positive review of Celerio Diesel:

http://english.manoramaonline.com/bu...iesel-car.html
Review ? LOL With the phone number for Test Drive given in the end, its almost literally a sales pitch! Whats happened to Auto-Journo's!?

As a product, the Diesel Celerio reflects the attitude of Maruti towards the Indian market, I don't like that attitude, just my personal 2 cents worth opinion.

Peace

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 22nd June 2015 at 14:07.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 15:21   #283
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
The airbag equipped top end Indica eV2 LX with a pretty decent CR4 Diesel engine comes at ~5.9 Lakhs OTR Bangalore.
I don't know where you got that information from, as it is outdated by several years.

The Indica V2 Turbo did come with 2 airbags and ABS at one point of time many years ago. It was discontinued rather quickly for reasons best known to Tata.

After that, there hasn't been any airbag equipped Indica V2 at all, and this has been the case for several years now.

The Indica eV2 has neither ABS nor airbags.

Please take a look at Tata Motors' own website for the Indica eV2:

Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!-image.jpg

Here's the link to the official Tata Indica eV2 website:

http://cars.tatamotors.com/tata-indica/index.html

Last edited by RSR : 22nd June 2015 at 15:34.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 15:37   #284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure if it is paid journalism or not, but surprised to see gaga praise over a economy cut price two pot diesel in a very light body shell. No mention of safety or concerns about features, just gaga over the perceived fuel economy....
I won't comment on the car itself (not come across it yet), but if ever there was an illustration required for a dictionary alongside the definition of kiss-butt, Zigwheels are a shoe-in.

To be fair though, they do it for anyone who'll pay them so you can say they're unbiased, in a way.
Chetan_Rao is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 15:45   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I don't know where you got that information from, as it is outdated by several years!
Came across that at the website of a Dealer. Provided link & screenshot in that post too.
Quote:
The Indica V2 Turbo did come with 2 airbags and ABS at one point of time several years ago. It was discontinued rather quickly for reasons best known to Tata.

After that, there hasn't been any airbag equipped Indica V2 at all, and this has been the case for several years now....
I just noticed that the price is Ex-Showroom same as mentioned in the official TATA Motors website, hence it doesn't seem that the dealer has not updated his website. (Especially since even Safari Storme, ARIA & GenX Nano have the updated info).

Hmm would TATA not update their website & particularly mention it if they've added Airbags too now. Wondering coz they've often been caught slow on this

PS : Sorry I guess we're going OT.

Edit : Coming back to topic, even in that case, cheaper (and decently refined) alternatives are present. One needn't necessarily choose Ritz or any other car with the 1.3mjd / its derivatives.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 22nd June 2015 at 15:57. Reason: Added : Sorry for OT
Closed Thread